Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LAUGHING IN THE FACE OF SUCH INCOMPETENCE  (Read 22836 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LAUGHING IN THE FACE OF SUCH INCOMPETENCE
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2004, 04:13:12 PM »

I didn't listen to any of the source music, as I knew I only wanted the main title cue which, I believe, is the only dramatic cue in the film save for one small one towards the end.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2004, 04:30:02 PM »

Tomovoz thank you for sharing. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2004, 04:54:38 PM »

A. Lull.

I just ate a Jack in the Box California Club salad.  They're quite tasty and then you want to vomit.

Robin

« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2004, 05:21:47 PM »

On all four of my first trips to NYC, I went out of my way to see The Fantasticks, and I nearly wept when I heard that it would be closing.  Without question, my favorite off-Broadway show.  

Too bad the movie was unwatchable.  

As to dealing with incompetence...this just happened to me today.  I sent off for a rebate check for buying the deeveedees of X2 and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and it came back today with a letter stating that they could not give me a rebate because the original cash register receipt wasn't sent along with the rebate form.  Inside the envelope was not only the rebate form, but the original cash register receipt.  

Oy!

Hopefully, resending the envelope again will result in a rebate check...but Jesus, how stupid can these people be?????
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2004, 05:21:56 PM »

Good evening!

-Just got in from class, then shopping, then dinner...

Now watching "American Idol".... Ouch!  Ouch!!  OUCH!!!

Be back after the show is done... and after I catch up on the posts.
Make Your Own Luck.

Robin

« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2004, 05:27:16 PM »

I've been indulging in one of my favorite things for the past few hours: reading a science fiction novel while munching away on Lorna Doone cookies and chugging down whole milk*.  

Ahhhh, the simple pleasures...!

(*I'm a farm boy, and could never get used to 2%, 1% or (horror of horrors!) skim milk.  And after a farmboyhood, getting used to storebought milk was difficult enough.)

Robin

« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2004, 05:29:09 PM »

Oh, and I just now noticed that I am now a "Full Member".  

Wouldn't that be a great title for a musical?

The Full Member: A New Musical

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2004, 05:41:12 PM »

JRand53,  Thanks for the Ursula bon mots.  It's almost as though I stayed and watched it.

Danise

« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2004, 06:03:59 PM »

Evening all.

Depending on the situation my anger/frustration until I lash out and then you want to get as far away from me as possible or I will go dark and not talk to anyone until I’m passed it.

I’m feeling very happy tonight!  Went to the doctor’s office today and was told I’ve lost 11 pounds from the last time I was there!  Even my doctor was impressed.

Another great thing is that I did it.  I called a realtor and I’m going to look at one of the houses I spoke about.  Tomorrow at six.  Wish me luck!  I’m excited and scared to death at the same time.  The down side is if I do take the house, there won’t be any trips for me anytime in the near future.

I really wanted to either go see Michael Ball in SLC or go to NYC.  Sigh.  Can’t have everything, can we?  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2004, 06:05:45 PM »

Those new At&t commercials with split screen faces are scarier than Michael Jackson!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2004, 06:08:12 PM »

LOL you are welcome DR Charles Pogue....yes what marvelous character...Sian Phillips was Margo Channing +++!!!

Thanks BK....it is a mystery song!  

DRMattH did you watch ANY movies?

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2004, 06:21:28 PM »

BK-

I think you will be very happy with Adelphia. I have been using them and I have not had any problem.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2004, 06:37:09 PM »

DRDanise - DRMBarnum is a new homeowner and he is very happy he made the decision, I think!

I am about to watch a PBS special on Lustron homes......

Jennifer

« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2004, 06:51:53 PM »

VERY GENERAL AMERICAN IDOL COMMENTS. But if you didn't watch it yet, you may not want to read this:

Wow, American Idol was crazy tonight.  I cannot believe how bad some of them were (especially the brothers).

My favorite was Miss Hawaii.

It's definitely looking better for Scooter girl and others to get into the Wild Card show (which is always my favorite show).

I wonder if these people just had bad nights or what. I kept wanting to say that the judges deserved what they got, since they let go some really good people and chose these people.  I mean were they all good before?  I don't think so.  From what I remember I didn't like any of the people who screwed up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 06:53:50 PM by Jennifer »

Danise

« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2004, 06:53:47 PM »

I forgot to tell you all about the close call I had on Sunday.  Remember when I said I was scared to drive the bridge to St. Pete just about 2 weekends ago?  

Well, I had a tire blow out on me.  I was very, very, very lucky.  I was just turning into Walmart when it blew.  If I had been on that bridge...

I went to their tire center and was told it would be 6 hours before they could even look at it.  I had to call AAA to come change my tire ( that was a 2 hour wait--no joke) and the spare I had was flat!  

The guy was nice enough to take it to a gas station and fill it with air for me.  

I know how to change a tire but I lack the strength to crack the nuts when their put on with an air hose.

Sad to say the same happened with the bathroom.  I knew what needed to be done.  Had, in fact, done the same thing before but I couldn't crack the bolt and was afraid I was going to break the pipe off (old house-old pipes).  I had to call a plummer, much to my shame but he said the same thing about the pipe.  If I had broken it, he would have had to taken part of the wall down to get to it.  So I did the right thing by calling

You guys are so lucky to have such power in your hands and arms. That kind of stuff comes so easy for you.  If I was hanging over the side of a building and had to pull myself up, you might as well lean over and kiss me goodbye because I would never be able to do it.

The only F I ever made in school was in PE because I couldn't do the fifty pull ups we were required to do to get a a passing grade.  I couldn't even do five.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Robin

« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2004, 07:03:05 PM »

I am about to watch a PBS special on Lustron homes......

There's a Lustron house about a mile away from me...it's pretty cool...!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2004, 07:07:18 PM »

I've been busy catching up today, Dear Readers, ergo my apparent silence on this site.

I did find time this afternoon, however, to see The Dreamers, Bernardo Bertolucci's new film.  This is a curious picture and, to be frank, I am not sure I got it.  I believe it supposed to capture the frisson in the air in Paris during 1968.  There is ample talk about Maoism, the conflict in Vietnam and pacifism, as well as depiction of the reaction to the expulsion from the Musee du Cine of Henri Langlois and, later on, violent street riots, though it is never made clear precisely what the rioters are protesting.

In this milieu we follow the story of a 19 year old female, her twin brother and a similarly aged American male.  Brought together by their frequent sojourns to see classic cinema at the Musee's theatre, the three end up rather quickly in a bizarre menage a trois of sorts.  They enjoy playing a psycho-sexual mind-game variation on the game of Charades, in which scenes from movies are played out by one or other of the lead characters.  Failure to guess correctly by the other members of the threesome involves some rather unusual punishments.

The most enjoyable aspect of The Dreamers is when Bertolucci intercuts scenes involving the three main characters with clips from the movies from which their actions are drawn.  Scenes involving Greta Garbo in Queen Christina and three actors whose names I do not know in A la Bande (I hope I have that correct) racing through the Louvre were particularly endearing.

It was never clear to me where the relationships amongst the central trio were going, be it as a threesome or when they left one behind to form a pair.  As pretty as all three main characters were, I found it somewhat difficult to sympathize with any of them, and found myself little invested in their experiences.  The story just sort of stops, with no resolution.

The picture's credits roll from the top down (the credits in every other movie I've seen roll from the bottom up.)  This is fine when information falls on one line.  Multiple line credits, however, such as for the songs and film clips used in the movie, of which there were many, were impossible to read.  Someone was being arbitrary and ought to get his or her butt cheeks slapped from here to tarnation for doing such an annoying thing.

Anyone who is uncomfortable with depictions of full frontal nudity (male and female), simulated sex, incest and/or poor housekeeping should avoid this picture.

With this post, I shall inaugurate the Jay Rating System.  On a scale that ranges from "Run to see it now" to "See it after you've seen the other top items on your filmgoing list" to "Wait for the DVD" to "Avoid at all costs," I say The Dreamers rates a "Wait for the DVD."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 07:12:20 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2004, 07:10:26 PM »

Since THE FANTASTICKS has been mentioned a lot, I thought you might be interested in what I have felt about that show.  I saw many productions over the years --- a touring company, dinner theatres, high school, etc. --- and found it mildly enjoyable.  Then one day I was at TKTS and there was nothing much of interest so I decided to see THE FANTASTICKS at the Sullivan Street Playhouse.  What a difference - that was a magical show and everything I had heard.  No other production came close to capturing what was on that stage.  That was in 1990 and I saw it several times between then and the closing.  I have never found any other show that only "worked" in one production.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2004, 07:14:18 PM »

Danise good luck tomorrow.

Good night.  

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2004, 07:15:42 PM »

The one time in recent years that I became quite upset was at Target (which up to that time was my FAVORITE store). They would not allow me to exchange a telephone that didn't work because I didn't have the receipt.

DR MBarnum:  Well, this has happened to us enough times, that I would recommend Joe's strategy.  Maybe not entirely on the up-and-up, but it works.

Phone don't work and you got no stinking receipt?  Simple.  Go in and buy a new one.  "What?" I hear you cry, "Now I've paid twice for one phone!"  Not at all.  Next day, you use the receipt for the new phone to return the non-functional phone and get a refund.

OOOOPS!!  I just read the end of your post and found you did that very thing.

He says sheepishly:  "Never mind."  Oh, and Emily Littella reference!

As for what to do when the world dumps a load of ickies on me... Last Wednesday, when they took Joe away, I came home, screamed and yelled and cursed and flung obscenities at the top of my voice (and the top of my voice flung some of them back at me!).  Then I cried.  Then I screamed some more.  Then I played Elton John singing "The Bitch Is Back" at high volume ten times straight [or at least gaily forward]  (and if Lady MacBeth could hear it... well, if the foo sh*ts...).

Then I came to the computer and read all your lovely posts and felt much better, because I know that not everyone in the world is a f&%#$@!!!  )*\}!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 07:24:16 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2004, 07:18:05 PM »

Which may be why the film doesn't work WEL. It is the only way I have seen the show - it just does not get performed here because of the limited opportunities with such a small cast - non professional theatre companies need a cast big enought to sell tickets. One of those shows (like "110 in the Shade") that I guess I will only ever get to enjoy as a recording.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2004, 07:55:16 PM »

I just ate a Jack in the Box California Club salad.  They're quite tasty and then you want to vomit.
So, you're switching from Atkins to the Carpenter Plan?

Der Brucer was stuck with JitB a few times while working on political campaigns.  The nice thing was that he never complained about my cooking once after those experiences.  (Not that he complains often, but he did tonight, and rightly so.  Sorry about missing the mark this time, der B.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2004, 08:03:07 PM »

One of those shows (like "110 in the Shade") that I guess I will only ever get to enjoy as a recording.

You could come and visit me, Dear Reader Tomovoz, and see 110 in the Shade when the Pasadena Playhouse does it later this year.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2004, 08:10:24 PM »

Trivia question.

Among the favorite off-Broadway titles:

1. He's a singer and producer
2. She's a lyricist, librettist and singer

What's the name of their kid, who's on a current sitcom?

Jon Cryer, of the current version of My Two Dads (or whatever it's called).
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2004, 08:11:57 PM »

Thanks for the offer Jay. Can you get them to hold over the show until Fall 2005!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2004, 08:21:14 PM »

I will play by Katz's rules, and only consider shows I actually saw in NYC

Not sure how such a rule got named after me.

If I suggested a "rule" it was this
"If some of a musical's pleasures are surprising plot twists in the libretto, don't ruin it for yourself by seeking out a synopsis, even if the only place the show is currently playing is New York City."

I also said "Do what you want to do" but what do I know? - I'm a little light-headed due to the paucity of good cuisine in this food-deprived metropolis.   ::)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2004, 08:24:47 PM »

Danise - congrats on the weight loss.

I haven't read all of today's posts. Will catch up later.  Have some work to do tonight.

Lovely bird portrait, Tomovoz. Margocsy is a Hungarian name. Wonder if that's his heritage.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2004, 08:25:13 PM »

WEL -- I agree with you about The Fantasticks.  I saw the show for the first time in 1966, here in Tacoma, and the production was sheer magic.  In the years since then, I have seen the show done dozens of time, including doing it twice myself, and the show was usually good, but nothing very special.  After a while, I just assumed that the first time I had seen the show, I must have just been in the right frame of mind.  Finally, in 1980, I got to see the production at the Sullivan Theatre, and suddenly, it was magic time all over again.  I can't explain the difference, the same set, the same show, talented actors, but only twice did I ever experience that incredible magic that made the show run for over forty years.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2004, 08:25:34 PM »

A lot of nervous singers on AMERICAN IDOL tonight, but I felt really badly for Matt Rogers, the bearish ex-Rose Bowl footballer, who did a vocally crisp and commanding song and got dumped on by the judges. Then, one after another, as the singers went down in flames, they of course did not go back and say how fantastic he was in comparison. The guy had stage presence, an excellent voice that he used to sing with but not in any kind of showy, cheap way, and stayed on pitch constantly. For a big guy, he also was very smooth in moving around the stage. The judges berated him for not singing what they thought he should be singing instead of evaluating the actual performance he gave. Again, their function on the show frustrated me.

And then after having poor performances from so many others, they gave unfairly earned priase to a couple of singers who really didn't deserve the kudos.

Just like last week. the producers of the show put the two strongest singers on at the beginning and end of the group. I only hope America noticed that as well.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2004, 08:27:12 PM »

I did that, too. I named only shows I had actually seen and enjoyed.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up