Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: ABBREVIATED  (Read 38186 times)

FJL

Re:ABBREVIATED
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2008, 04:12:33 AM »

A page 2 huzzah for Miss karen's birthday!!!!

FJL

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2008, 04:12:46 AM »

Or maybe a hora?

FJL

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 04:13:03 AM »

Congrats to der B on his lofty plateau

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 05:09:40 AM »

The storm with all its warnings was a disappointment so far: I can see that the sidewalk is damp, but that's it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2008, 05:10:00 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday to Miss Karen!!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 06:09:49 AM »

DR RonP, I did watch Will & Grace, although not a lot. I never saw jack and karen make out.

But actually i got quite sick after i posted last night. My eyes were burning so badly and my head was pounding so hard. I was afraid i was going to get a migraine.

So i left the computer on and didn't even read the BB live feed updates (more than the heading i posted). So i still don't know what happened!

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 06:12:08 AM »

DR Jane, i can imagine that smelling a flight attendant's perfume would drive me over the edge.  I hate it when i am early at the movie theatre and find a seat. and then right before the movie starts some smelly person sits down behind me! For some reason that has happened more than once.

I don't know what the heck kind of perfume this was (from last night). But i still smell it in my kitchen (which doesn't make sense to me). But my eyes started burning mildly again this morning. :(

Oh well not too bad.

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 06:12:50 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR karen!

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2008, 06:13:45 AM »

I was going to make blueberry muffins this morning. But my niece called at 7am (she likes to call shen she wakes up) and said she wants me to wait so she can make them.

Of course when she arrives she'll probably forget she said that and ask where they are! :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2008, 07:18:04 AM »

Good morning, all! I am spending a quiet day doing as little as possible beyond the work on Kip Wilborn's chart. This afternoon I will be attending a farewell party for my friend Charlei Harmon, who is giving up his Brooklyn co-op and moving to Alabama to be an orchestra librarian.  I've known Charlie since  the mid-1980s when he was the editor for Amberson, Bernstein's publishing company, and he hired me to do several choral arrangements as well as work on 1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE. In 1997 or so, he asked me to orchestrate ON THE TOWN for the Public Theatre production and I had to turn him down because I was too busy with a couple of Rodgers&Hart projects. I recommended Bruce Coughlin since Bruce had worked on other Bernstein projects and our paths crossed occasionally in the Bernstein apartment at the Dakota.  In 1999, Charlie asked me to score the National Theatre of Great Britain production of CANDIDE and I said yes. For all intents and purposes, Charlie hired me, faxed my resume to the National Theatre and went on a vacation of several weeks. When he returned, he notified me that Bernstein's executor Harry Kraut had overruled him and hired Bruce Coughlin, who scored the London production. The title of my next book will be TWO TOADS IN CAHOOTS.

Charlie left the Bernstein world shortly thereafter although he had a lot of work invested in the Encores! WONDERFUL TOWN, and I notice that his name is either missing or hard to find on the vocal scores to WONDERFUL TOWN and ON THE TOWN, a pity since he had a lot of work in both of them, and as far as I'm concerned they're mostly his work, and with his departure, the plans to publish the full scores to the two shows seems tohave vanished.

At any rate, Charlie's a great friend, and I will miss him. The last time I saw him, he came to last year's NYMF and laughed enormously through THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X.

And now for a nap.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 07:22:17 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2008, 07:43:51 AM »

Good morning!

Another not-so-cool morning with semi-muggy humidity. Ugh! Is summer over yet?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2008, 07:44:05 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  Another quiet day for me, but at least I brought home enough leftover pineapple chicken last night to have a nice lunch later today.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2008, 07:44:34 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Miss Karen!!!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Miss Karen!

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2008, 07:49:26 AM »

On the subject of the experimentation on BIG BROTHER.

The fact is that the world of sexuality is not really a black and white place. My last partner was married for 20 years, sired two children, and had an open marriage of sorts with his wife in terms of his sexuality. Yet, he claimed he was 100% gay, not bisexual.

People experiment. They're curious. They're attracted to other people and often don't worry about labels on "what they are." I think young people especially are, if not more open to experimentation than my generation, at least more open about it to the world.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2008, 07:50:49 AM »

Today I'll be settling in with Kurosawa's HIGH AND LOW. I suspect I'll be with this set for most of the afternoon and evening. Having never seen it, I'm looking forward to it.

JulieC40

• Always keep your options open!
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2008, 07:51:04 AM »

Miss Karen, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  Don't party too hard! :)

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2008, 07:51:39 AM »

I'll also finish FEAR ITSELF which I began last night and then begin THE MOLE if I'm still eating lunch by the time FEAR ITSELF is over.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2008, 07:53:16 AM »

If I have some time left over tonight, I'll be pulling out the sDVD version of THE SCORPION KING and going through the bonus features on the disc. I'm supposed to get the Blu-ray disc review copy of the film tomorrow, and as I'll be fighting a deadline (the film streets on Tuesday), watching those bonuses and noting what I can about them will save me some valuable time tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2008, 07:54:41 AM »

Tonight on TV:

LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT on USA

IN PLAIN SIGHT on USA

That new reality series on casting someone for some appearance in HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL (a music video perhaps?) is on ABC tonight, too.

And, of course, for fans of the show, BIG BROTHER is on.

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2008, 07:59:44 AM »

Well, now, I finally clicked on the link to Summer Shorts 2 that DR FJL posted last night and discovered that we'll be in NYC just as the event is wrapping up.  Thinkin' about going on Thursday, August 28 - anyone interested in joining us?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2008, 08:00:09 AM »

Happy Birthday, Miss Karen.

Re:  FJL's post yesterday about the play The Waters of March.  The Waters of March is, of course, one of the great later Jobim compositions, a magnificent stream (no pun intended) of consciousness lyric with a deceptively simply tune.  It was introduced to American audiences by Sergio Mendes, and one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life was Brasil '77's performance of the song live on The Tonight Show.  The lyric, for those of you who haven't heard it, is simply a list of things which really have little to do with each other, and poor lead singer Bonnie Bowden went completely up, there in front of millions.  With a frozen smile on her face, she "la la"'d and hummed her way through about a verse and a half until she found her bearings again.  I loved every agonizing minute of it.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Miss Karen

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2008, 08:06:58 AM »

Thanks so much for all of the great vibes and good wishes/congrats on the completion of my Master work -- and for all of the Happy Birthday salutations!

Most appreciated, Dear HHWers!

Miss Karen

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »

DR Ginny ~ Tell DH Ha-HA:

"Wahoo! Way to Go! You Da Man!" from me on his completion of his Master work. (If I were there, I'd give him a high five).

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2008, 08:13:58 AM »

Off to save some souls!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2008, 08:15:21 AM »

Well, now, I finally clicked on the link to Summer Shorts 2 that DR FJL posted last night and discovered that we'll be in NYC just as the event is wrapping up.  Thinkin' about going on Thursday, August 28 - anyone interested in joining us?

If I didn't already have tickets for Aug 10, I'd join you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Miss Karen

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2008, 08:18:33 AM »

Off to save some souls!

Be sure to put a "Make It Rain" slip in the prayer basket -- for both down there in the Valley and up here on the Hill.

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2008, 08:18:44 AM »

DR Miss Karen - thanks for the wishes for my DH.  This is his 3rd Master's, but probably the one he should have gotten a long time ago.

Ginny

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2008, 08:20:01 AM »

DR Elmore - OK, we'll keep looking forward to the theater date we have with you for the 29th then!

Miss Karen

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2008, 08:23:41 AM »

DR Miss Karen - thanks for the wishes for my DH.  This is his 3rd Master's, but probably the one he should have gotten a long time ago.

Three of them?! Holy Moly!! He is "Da Man"! I barely survived this one! This is, was, and will be my one and only. (As everyone has been asking me) What does DH plan to do with his Master? Does he want a Doctorate? Which areas has his Master work been in?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up