Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T CRY FOR ME, ARGENTINA  (Read 34850 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DON'T CRY FOR ME, ARGENTINA
« on: July 22, 2008, 12:16:15 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were high flying adored, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they've got another suitcase in another hall and are almost ready.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:32:36 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:DON'T CRY FOR ME, ARGENTINA
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 12:17:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: GRAMMATOLATRY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 12:20:24 AM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 12:23:27 AM »

Tom:

ALW'S THOUGHTS

Starlight Express started life in 1975 as a sort of Cinderella story which I hoped would be an animated movie.

It never got off the ground. Then in 1983 I rewrote it for my children, Imogen and Nicholas, in the version that opened in March 1984 in this theatre. Nine years later we revisited Starlight whose new music was dedicated to my son, Alastair. Starlight was always meant to be fun, hopefully an entertaining piece of live theatre for a new audience.

Everything in Starlight is played and performed live, though the orchestra is invisible under the stage. We are all proud that Starlight not only because the second longest running musical in London theatre history in April 1992, but also has spawned a new generation of theatre-goers who perhaps never considered going to the theatre before and who may have gone on to other (perhaps more conventional!) things.

Andrew Lloyd Webber
From the 1992 London production programme

der Brucer
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:24:25 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 12:25:14 AM »

Thanks Der Brucer.  I have the programme somewhere.  
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 12:30:54 AM »

I have the original London cast recording of Starlight Express and it's my favorite of all the different recordings.  I don't really care for the changes that have been put in, over the years...but that's just me.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 12:34:27 AM »

I think that the concept album of Evita references the historical Che. (There are some comments about his work with insecticide).  
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 12:36:17 AM »

One of my favorite ALW songs is the solo, "Only He," sung by the then-not-late Stephanie Lawrence from that original London cast recording.  It's been rewritten to be a duet, and I don't think it's as good. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 12:38:57 AM »

I enjoy ALW's Variations and I like "Tell Me On a Sunday". BUT NOT THE rewritten Bernadette Peters version which is in my list of all time dreadful recordings.

I do like "Unexpected Song".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 12:41:22 AM »

(and it is not that I dislike Ms Peters. I have enjoyed her performances in some shows)
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 12:43:56 AM »

I also like "Love changes everything" but he reminds me of something else - maybe from Candide!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 12:45:02 AM »

There are also two quite lovely melodies used in "The Beautiful Game".

James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 12:47:37 AM »

I enjoy ALW's Variations and I like "Tell Me On a Sunday". BUT NOT THE rewritten Bernadette Peters version which is in my list of all time dreadful recordings.

I do like "Unexpected Song".

I really like the songs "Tell Me On a Sunday" and "Nothing Like You've Ever Known" (this is in 5/4).

Tomovoz

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 12:53:39 AM »

Goodnight DR George.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 01:00:30 AM »

Good night, Tom.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 01:12:08 AM »

Half A Moment and Tell Me On A Sunday are lovely, as is Unexpected Song.  

singdaw

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 01:54:24 AM »

TOD:  The aforementioned, along with "All For Laura" and "Evermore Without You," the male power ballad, both from The Woman in White.

singdaw

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 01:56:08 AM »

***HEALING VIBES*** for Bonnie & Sue, co-workers of DR Ginny.

***STRENGTHENING AND CONTINUED HEALING VIBES*** for DR Ginny & DR Kerry & DearReaderLaura DR

singdaw

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 01:56:57 AM »

Adorable & Irresistable "baby" photos of DDs Magnus & Fosca!!!!

singdaw

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 01:58:01 AM »

***START-OF-TRIAL VIBES***[/size][/color]
to DR Cillaliz!!!!![/size][/color]

singdaw

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 02:00:02 AM »

The NY Times offers recipes for health:

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 02:32:00 AM »

I definately love Variations.  I love it in the original rock variation, I love it in the orchestral variation, and I love the live recording from London's Song and Dance.

OK, so I'm a Variations slut.  Sue me.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 04:05:38 AM »

I like his work with Tim Tice.

Jesus Christ Superstar
I Don't Know How To Love Him
Could We Start Again Please
Pilate's Dream
Herod's Song

Evita
A New Argentina
High Flying Adored
And The Money Kept Rolling In
Waltz for Eva and Che

By Jeeves
Half A Moment

I only have the Bernadette Peters version of Tell Me On A Sunday so I don't know how different the two following songs are

Tell Me On A Sunday
Unexpected Song
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 04:50:20 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  I'm up early for an appointment with my foot surgeon and then some errands with Richard on the way home.

TOD - "Love Changes Everything" and "Skimbleshanks"
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 05:01:03 AM »

Morning all. Nothing to add to the topic of the day.

Back to work.

singdaw

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 05:12:26 AM »

I am going to venture out at lunch to see if I can secure a copy of this, released today:

FJL

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 05:17:11 AM »

Hi Ben.  Based on Anthony's Starfighter audition last year, Skip had recommended Anthony for a role (it was a showcase, so awful pay, but a fun part)  but then I realized from here that Anthony had a really nice job for August.  But I thought Anthony would like to know that going to an audition can indeed keep him on people's minds even when he doesn't get the part he's auditioning for, though I'm sure he knows that.

singdaw

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 05:25:50 AM »

"You think THIS is fun?  Wait until we hit the stairwell!"

photo:     TRACES/fades

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 06:16:37 AM »

Good morning, all! This is another day with the 42nd Street NYPL, but first the laundry must be accomplished.

Through a terrible fluke based entirely on cash flow and vacation schedules, I had to book a trip of two days to the Library of Congress yesterday, and I booked it for Thursday and Friday of this week. In reading this morning's notes, I realized what a mess my absent-minded action has done to my social calendar for the week. I may be back by 7 for DR FJL's and DP Skip's  soiree, but it depends on whether or not my work is finished in time to make the 4 pm train. I hope to be there, but I'm already extending apologies in case I don't make it back in time.

TOD: This is a curiosity: I've been listening to this JAY recording, THE MUSICALITY OF ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER because I have orchestrations on it, several or them tracks from earlier recordings like "Macavity" and "Starlight Express." However, I'm credited for two charts and I don't believe they're both mine. I remember scoring a number from "The Beautiful Game" for Mr Yap but I didn't keep a copy of the score so I don't know if "Our Kind of Love" sung by the wonderful Sally Ann Triplett is really mine. As to the other one I'm credited for, "Whistle Down the wind," did I really score it? I honestly don't think so, but I could be wrong. Do I have any favorite ALW songs? Maybe "Half a Moment," which is really lovely, but "Love Changes Everything" sounds incomplete to me, like an AABA song missing several sections, and I keep wondering where the second theme is.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 06:25:30 AM »

Larry - Please call us when you know if you're going to make it -  i guess that would be  when you know whether you're making that 4 pm train.  In terms of places to sit, knowing one way or the other whether it's 8 or 9 people will help a bit.  The more the merrier of course (especially when you're the "more"), but we just want to be ready as far in advance as we can.

So it's Skip, me, BK, jose, JulieMiller, singdaw, Vixmom, vixter,  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up