Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SHINY SHOES  (Read 26295 times)

Tomovoz

Re:SHINY SHOES
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2004, 02:02:30 PM »

Time for a post and an attempt at hijacking.
Vegetables:
I Love Onions - Susan Christie 1966
The Beetroot Song (If You Like Beetroot I'll Be True To You) - Lance Percival (1962)
Beans In My Ears - The Serendipity Singers (1964)
And as mentioned a few days ago :
Mashed Potato Time - Dee Dee Sharp (1962)
Gravy (For My Mashed Potato) - Dee Dee Sharp (1962)

Black-Eyed Peas get an honourable mention in Bobbie Gentry's "Ode To Bille Joe"
I did think of including Don Cherry's "Fourteen Karat Gold" but remembered about the groan free zone!

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2004, 02:14:28 PM »

CHINESE CABBAGE SALAD

(Recipe makes LARGE amount that you can cut in half if you don't want leftovers).

Salad
1 head chopped cabbage
8 green onions thinly sliced
8-tbsp toasted sesame seeds
8-tbsp toasted slivered almonds
2-cups fresh peas (or thawed frozen)
2-pkgs “oriental flavor Top Ramen” noodles (crushed)

Variation: Cube 12-oz package of Extra Firm Tofu and quick-fry in canola oil “seasoned” with crushed garlic cloves.  Cook until lightly browned.  Drain on paper towels and allow to cool.  Add to salad ingredients at time of tossing.

Dressing
6-tbsp sugar
6-tbsp rice vinegar
1-cup canola oil
2 Top Ramen spice packets
1-tsp each salt/pepper

Prepare & Chill dressing:
Mix dressing in a jar suitable for vigorous shaking.  (Shake prior to pouring on salad.)  

Just before serving mix the greens, nuts, seeds, noodles & dressing.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2004, 02:20:07 PM »

"Shiny Shoes" needs a lyric, set to the melody of "Silver Bells."  All I can come up with is

Shiny Shoes, Shiny Shoes
It's awards time in the city.

How about:

I'll be wearing patten leather shoes this evening
Black and buffed and shiny as a silver watch
So if someone kilted comes my way this evening
I might get a look at his crotch

(apologies to Jerry Herman)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2004, 02:26:55 PM »

Well, I'm off to the WGA Awards.  I do hope it won't be too tiresome - I'm bad at these sorts of events.  I get very antsy, and I know very few people and like that.  I will, of course, have a full report for tomorrow's notes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2004, 02:27:24 PM »

Oh, and keep the home fries burning, won't you?  I'll need lots of respite when I get home this evening.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2004, 02:29:05 PM »

Have fun.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2004, 03:19:42 PM »

Bargain Alert! If you have a Dollar Tree store near you and you enjoy vintage movies and tv shows then you might be interested in the $1.00 DVDs that they just got in! I picked up a few titles that I had not seen before...some episodes of MR AND MRS NORTH and BURNS AND ALLEN and a movie called THE GREAT DAN PATCH with Dennis O'Keefe. There were many interesting titles. If I have time tomorrow I might head over and get some of the DR. KILDARE titles that they had. For $1.00 you can't go wrong! And I checked the picture quality and it is all quite acceptable.

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2004, 03:21:23 PM »

DR WFO, yes I think Cal Bolder was surprised to find that he had any fans. He only did a handful of films and about 25 TV shows between 1960 and 1967. And yes his interview will be in a publication for all to see!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2004, 03:29:43 PM »

Why do dvd covers use color photographs from thefilm when the movie was released in Blackand white???

Supposedly because the younger generation doesn't like black and white movies and might not buy it if it's clear the movie isn't in color.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2004, 03:34:27 PM »

WTHIE!!!!!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2004, 03:38:17 PM »

Supposedly because the younger generation doesn't like black and white movies and might not buy it if it's clear the movie isn't in color.

Also, DVD covers are generally generated from movie campaign art -- posters, lobby cards, title cards, etc.

Most were done in color, even for Black and White films.  The purpose was to dress up the theater in vivid colors.  No one would have wanted to go in if the posters and photos were ALL black and white without any color.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2004, 03:38:32 PM »

Glad to be back home where I belong (A Jerry Herman reference). Celebrated by watching the GOOD NEWS DVD which puts the remastered laserdisc to shame.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2004, 03:39:00 PM »

WTHIE?  Does that mean, "Where the 'heck" is Emily"????
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2004, 03:40:33 PM »

Of course, it simply SLAYS me to hear someone say they won't watch a black-and-white film because it isn't "realistic."

Jane

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2004, 04:06:05 PM »

Jane

« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2004, 04:07:51 PM »

Thanks MBarnum.  I don’t know if the Dollar store near us is a Dollar Tree store.  I will check it out tomorrow.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2004, 04:24:17 PM »

Welllllllllllllllllll.......

Decide which of the Cartwrights - Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe - was your favorite, click on this link and then click on the character's name!

http://bonanza1.com/cast.html
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2004, 04:37:55 PM »

Thanks for the link JRand It is of course quite correct in summing up my character.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2004, 04:42:32 PM »

It was pretty close for me as well.

My favorite is Adam, of course!

Tomovoz

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2004, 04:49:03 PM »

Strange that. You can guess my favourite no doubt too. And I didn't watch Bonanza.
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2004, 05:24:39 PM »

Fondest Greetings all!

Gee where to start!

Charles Pogue,  I have to ask where you got the idea for Dragon Heart   ?  I did indeed find the book on Amazon and bought it.  I have the DVD movie.

I also want  to send continued good vibes to Joe!  May time have wings for him and you, William F. Orr!

Jane, did you get my e-mail? Or was it the one sent back me, like thought?

Jennifer & Jose.   Just today I found Carb Smart Ice Cream bars made by the folks who make Klondike Bars.  5g net carbs per serving.  Made with Splenda.  I haven't had one yet but I will let you know how they taste.

I've found low carb tea and bread and just all kinds of things.    I'm very grateful that I didn't have to give up my tea.  I switched to decaff but that is ok.  I mostly drink herb teas.

I  am wondering how good the ice cream bars are going to be because I've found that I like Splenda in my tea or anything hot but when I tried to use it in ice tea, it had a funny taste.  I've taken to just drinking a bottle of water or I put a cap of Real Lemon Juice in a glass and pour the water in the glass and stir it.

I also know what you mean by being "fixed on the numbers on the scale".  I know I'm losing inches as well but it's sooo depressing to think you should have lost a couple more and you either are at where you were or (horrors!) have slipped back a pound or two.

I tried on a dress or two today while I was out and about.  Big mistake.   I'm not ready for new clothes just yet.

Good vibes and have a wonderful time, Panni and Bruce!  I would also like to see a picture!

You don't know how lucky you are to just have to worry about Shiny shoes, Bruce!  If you were a woman, you would have to wear high heels and THEN you would know what pain is.  

If we ever meet and you see me in heels, I'm either in pain or will be because I get the most horrible charley horses from them.   Just trying them on starts them (at this point I won't mention that I bought 3 pairs of heels today for my upcoming trip to NYC).   I'll have to take major pain killers and/or walk the floor most of the night to walk them out.  I only wear them on very, very, very special occasions.

Back in the pre carb days, when I was allowed to eat white potatoes, I used to like to take a baking potato and slice it (not all the way) and put slivers of onions in the slices.  Then put butter on top with  salt and pepper to taste.  Wrap them in silver paper and bake.  Mmmmm.  They were good!

I have to say, without question, Hoss was my very favorite.  Even my Mom used to say she could never understand why when Little Joe and Adam were so handsome.   But I was never swayed by a handsome face.  Hoss was gentle and liked animals and I loved him for it.  

Well,  I seem to be rambling on but I think I touched on everything I meant to.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 05:29:57 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2004, 06:24:33 PM »

I had a big crush on Little Joe, but Danise is right, Hoss was the best of them all.  I thought Adam was stuck up.

Danise I didn’t receive it.  I just sent you an email.  Please try again.  

Keith will be playing a game on the computer now.  I will be back in an hour.

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2004, 06:25:19 PM »

DR Danise: I will check out the grocery store and the health food store. But I would be shocked to find low carb anything at the grocery store. I like I said, they don't even sell ice cream like Ben & Jerrys :)

The other thing is the price. Like you said, low carb items seem to be overpriced. I don't really want to spend $10 for a loaf of bread.  And btw, what does low carb bread taste like?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2004, 06:34:51 PM »

WTHIE?

Is a Kimmelism and means "Where the hell is everybody?"  And everybody might well ask that of me, too, because I have been oh so [E & T] & [T & E] today.

I visited Joe in the Big House this afternoon (and he thanks you one and all and also all and one for your good wishes, vibes, etc.), came right home and soaked in the Whirlpool whilst listening to Terry Trotter's (BK produced) "A Little Night Music".  Calming.  I needed that.

Then my computrid kept screwing up so I couldn't log on again.  I am now going to watch "All That Jazz" whilst eating a Marie Callander Chicken Pot Pie.

Will return later to welcome BK back from the festivities.  Keep your fingers crossed for Bullsh*t.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Danise

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2004, 06:35:02 PM »

Jane, I'll check my e-mail when I'm finished here and will try again.

Jennifer--as far as the low carb bread (and low carb slim fast bars, etc), all I can say is that I have developed an acquired  taste for cardboard/sawdust.  It's most unlady like but I do spit out the splinters.  :D   Fiber, I'm told, is good for one's digestion.

How did we live with ourselfs before low carbs?   ???   ::)

Just happened to think--B.C. ==  Before Carbs!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 06:36:54 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2004, 07:06:58 PM »

I’m back.  Keith finished his game early.  Now we are off to watch “Nowhere in Africa”.  I will have to contain my curiosity regarding the awards.

Good night.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2004, 07:08:58 PM »

I just finished a painting!

Danise

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2004, 07:11:10 PM »

Good night, Jane--I'm not far behind you but have to ask Jrand--of what?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2004, 07:18:43 PM »

Self portrait?
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2004, 07:21:51 PM »

LOL no - inspired by the WICKED CD cover.....

Hoss??!!!

Wasn't he the one that saw leprauchauns??
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up