Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAN WHO INVENTED TAFFY  (Read 36361 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE MAN WHO INVENTED TAFFY
« Reply #210 on: September 18, 2008, 08:03:30 PM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2008, 08:05:23 PM »

Every day, fewer and fewer posts.  WHO is missing here?  Singdaw?  Where is Singdaw?  I will bitch-slap everyone from here to eternity and hell and back.

Well... According to Facebook, he may have a new way of posting here on HHW.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2008, 08:08:14 PM »

Thank you all very much for the crock pot thoughts; since i've never owned one, it's nice to know that no one's saying, "avoid the model by Sunbeam" or whatever. The reviews on the sites for Target and amazon.com run the gamut so I'm still pondering.

I really liked LOVE JERRY, which was quite powerful and moving with some wonderful performances from Donna Lynne Champlin and two young men I've never seen before, J.T. Arbogast and Harris Doran. I saw Michelle Pawk and John Dossett there; Michelle played Donna Lynne's mother in HOLLYWOOD ARMS, for which Michelle won the Tony.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »

...Here's an article from yesterday's NY Times, Dining & Wine section which I think many DRs may appreciate:

Instead of Eating to Diet, They’re Eating to Enjoy

A rather inane article, if you ask me.  For example, I enjoy every bit of food I put in my mouth, but the ONLY way I can lose weight is to run for an hour and then make sure I don't eat over a certain number of calories - and that works - for me, clearly.  Takes longer than it used to when I was younger, but I'm getting there.  As I've said, I do one splurge meal a week where I eat whatever I damn well please, and I never gain weight from it.  It can range from four slices  of pizza, or a huge meal at Genghis Cohen.  What I have really cut down on, shockingly, is butter.   Unless the food at the restaurant is cooked in it (and most of what I order wouldn't be), I, who am addicted to butter, have pretty much stayed away from it totally.  I have also stopped in its entirety any cake, pie, or donuts or muffins.  Just not doing it right now, although if I were to have a real craving, I'd simply use my splurge meal to eat half a cake or something.  

I happen to like these 100 calorie bags of graham cracker cookies - they satisfy my sweet tooth and only have three grams of fat and they're tasty.  Red licorice, too - 0 fat, and I eat about 150 calories-worth.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #214 on: September 18, 2008, 08:11:48 PM »

Thank you all very much for the crock pot thoughts; since i've never owned one, it's nice to know that no one's saying, "avoid the model by Sunbeam" or whatever. The reviews on the sites for Target and amazon.com run the gamut so I'm still pondering.

I really liked LOVE JERRY, which was quite powerful and moving with some wonderful performances from Donna Lynne Champlin and two young men I've never seen before, J.T. Arbogast and Harris Doran. I saw Michelle Pawk and John Dossett there; Michelle played Donna Lynne's mother in HOLLYWOOD ARMS, for which Michelle won the Tony.

Oh, Cool!  I forgot that J.T. and Harris were in the show too!  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »

So, singdaw is now obsessed with FACEBOOK and is spending all his time THERE?  Is that what it is?  I will personally bitch-slap FACEBOOK if that's the case.  How unseemly is that.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2008, 08:13:54 PM »

A rather inane article, if you ask me.  For example, I enjoy every bit of food I put in my mouth, but the ONLY way I can lose weight is to run for an hour and then make sure I don't eat over a certain number of calories - and that works - for me, clearly.  Takes longer than it used to when I was younger, but I'm getting there.  As I've said, I do one splurge meal a week where I eat whatever I damn well please, and I never gain weight from it.  It can range from four slices  of pizza, or a huge meal at Genghis Cohen.  What I have really cut down on, shockingly, is butter.   Unless the food at the restaurant is cooked in it (and most of what I order wouldn't be), I, who am addicted to butter, have pretty much stayed away from it totally.  I have also stopped in its entirety any cake, pie, or donuts or muffins.  Just not doing it right now, although if I were to have a real craving, I'd simply use my splurge meal to eat half a cake or something.  

I happen to like these 100 calorie bags of graham cracker cookies - they satisfy my sweet tooth and only have three grams of fat and they're tasty.  Red licorice, too - 0 fat, and I eat about 150 calories-worth.

It's not "inane", just sensible.

*Btw - bk - How long has it been since your last physical?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »

So, singdaw is now obsessed with FACEBOOK and is spending all his time THERE?  Is that what it is?  I will personally bitch-slap FACEBOOK if that's the case.  How unseemly is that.  

No.

*And, remember, he turns in early.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2008, 08:16:13 PM »

The cool air has returned tonight, and my doors and windows are open. Should be another good night of sleep.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2008, 08:20:44 PM »

I spent the first 3 hours of the evening watching THE GODFATHER. I hadn't seen it in a very long time, and I enjoyed seeing it again. I also put in the old DVD of it and did A-B comparisons. The new restoration is somewhat better, but only somewhat. I'm not sure this will ever look great on home video. It's so dark, done in such somber colors, that it seems to always look very hot with oversaturated color. I did enjoy the new 5.1 soundtrack. I also listened to the original mono which sounds very good.

Matt H.

« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2008, 08:21:21 PM »

I also listened to the Coppola commentary. Of course, it's not new. It's just been ported over from the first DVD issue of the film.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2008, 08:21:24 PM »

It's not "inane", just sensible.

*Btw - bk - How long has it been since your last physical?  ;)

It's sensible THIS week.  Next week something else will be sensible.  It changes as fads change.  One day it's all about carbs, then it's not about carbs.  And on and on it goes.  I read the article and all that talk of berries and nuts is just so New Age - like berries and nuts makes life so enjoyable - the nuts are insanely fattening, but the berries aren't.  Fruit isn't.  What's new here?  Why does eating some berries suddenly make eating so much more enjoyable?  It's hooey.  I especially liked the bit about peanut butter - that woman will weight twenty pounds more than she does now if she keeps that up, because peanut butter is the most fattening thing on the planet.  Unless she's just having a spoonful, in which case I would say, "Yeah, a spoon of peanut butter makes eating so much more enjoyable.  Poppycock, I say, and poppycock I say again.  People should do whatever works for them in terms of weight loss.   I have never during this diet felt deprived of anything, because I SEE the results of what I'm doing, and I feel SO much better since I started.   ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2008, 08:23:01 PM »

Early.  What care I for early.  Why when I was your age...  When you was my age?  You was never my age.  You kids make this world lousy.

Wow, was I just channeling West Side Story or what?

Matt H.

« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2008, 08:24:09 PM »

I had about 45 minutes so I went ahead and started my favorite of the trilogy - THE GODFATHER, PART II. The Sicily scene at the beginning was very soft. I'm assuming it must have been shot that way to suggest long ago, but I don't think I ever noticed before how blurry it is. The DeNiro sequences are also soft, I'm again assuming this was done on purpose.

Matt H.

« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2008, 08:25:32 PM »

I concluded my evening with tonight's BURN NOTICE. The Carla story is kind of baffling to me. I did enjoy the caper this week very much.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #225 on: September 18, 2008, 08:30:04 PM »

It's sensible THIS week.  Next week something else will be sensible.  It changes as fads change.  One day it's all about carbs, then it's not about carbs.  And on and on it goes.  I read the article and all that talk of berries and nuts is just so New Age - like berries and nuts makes life so enjoyable - the nuts are insanely fattening, but the berries aren't.  Fruit isn't.  What's new here?  Why does eating some berries suddenly make eating so much more enjoyable?  It's hooey.  I especially liked the bit about peanut butter - that woman will weight twenty pounds more than she does now if she keeps that up, because peanut butter is the most fattening thing on the planet.  Unless she's just having a spoonful, in which case I would say, "Yeah, a spoon of peanut butter makes eating so much more enjoyable.  Poppycock, I say, and poppycock I say again.  People should do whatever works for them in terms of weight loss.   I have never during this diet felt deprived of anything, because I SEE the results of what I'm doing, and I feel SO much better since I started.   ;D

It's all about moderation.  Peanut butter included.

*And why are you all defensive?  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: September 18, 2008, 08:33:27 PM »

And speaking of "early"... I have a full day of callbacks and "finals" tomorrow... And since it's "finals", there will be some V.I.P.s in the room... So... I needs my rest. ;)

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #227 on: September 18, 2008, 08:33:37 PM »

All I know is the pie tasted great and I am very happy about eating it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #228 on: September 18, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »

And speaking of "early"... I have a full day of callbacks and "finals" tomorrow... And since it's "finals", there will be some V.I.P.s in the room... So... I needs my rest. ;)

Goodnight.

Have fun!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: September 18, 2008, 08:34:31 PM »

I concluded my evening with tonight's BURN NOTICE. The Carla story is kind of baffling to me. I did enjoy the caper this week very much.

I hope I can catch a rerun over the weekend.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2008, 08:35:32 PM »

OH!

*DR elmore - I was "advised" that the theatre where "Bonnie & Clyde" is playing is a little "light" on the A/C, so dress accordingly and/or bring a layer you can put on or take off.  Thankfully, it's supposed to be another cool evening tomorrow.

**Oh, and Karen Mason says HI! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #231 on: September 18, 2008, 08:49:11 PM »

I guess I'm ready to head down for bed now.

Good night!

Matt H.

« Reply #232 on: September 18, 2008, 08:49:41 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention that I did skim through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing and nothing.

Matt H.

« Reply #233 on: September 18, 2008, 08:50:03 PM »

And now I'm REALLY going!

;D

FJL

« Reply #234 on: September 18, 2008, 08:52:08 PM »

The Nutrigrain bar I had was delicious.  It would have been even more delicious had I topped it with ice cream, though.

MBarnum

« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2008, 08:52:56 PM »

I happened to catch the TV show AMERICA'S GOT TALENT...I have never seen this show before...I teared up 3 different times.

Is it always so heartwarming/sad? (heartwarming for those who get to compete next time...sad for those who don't).

MBarnum

« Reply #236 on: September 18, 2008, 08:54:18 PM »

DR Jose has a point, BK when was the last time you had a checkup...how is your cholesterol and blood pressure...especially you blood pressure!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2008, 08:55:07 PM »

The Nutrigrain bar I had was delicious.  It would have been even more delicious had I topped it with ice cream, though.

And some hot fudge.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #238 on: September 18, 2008, 09:27:22 PM »

She's always giving me presents  in the hopes I will one day become domesticated.

Amy's Mom at night: and God Bless my feral daughter.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2008, 09:39:04 PM »

I have a crockpot. My DH doesn't like anything with sauce, and crockpots tend to make sauce, so I don't use to as often as I would like to.

Put whole carrots and large potato (and onion if you like) pieces in the bottom of your pot and then the meat on top. When ready to serve, place the meat on a platter and retrieve the veggies with a slotted spoon and put in a bowl - no sauce to frighten DH. If you really want to fake him out - put the meat and veggies under the broiler for a few minutes to give them a rust and some color - the result will be close to a nice oven roast.

der Brucer

Crawdads, on the other hand, make lots of juice!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up