Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A PENNE FOR YOUR THOUGHTS  (Read 59414 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:A PENNE FOR YOUR THOUGHTS
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2008, 08:21:13 PM »

You didn't think the ants were yucky?  I told der B that we couldn't take the younger grandlad to see the film because of that scene.

No, I didn't because they were so obviously CGI creations that they didn't bother me at all. The guts that squirted out when Cate squeezed one just seemed so phony. (And the bonus features show how it was accomplished.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2008, 08:21:43 PM »

DR George is entirely correct, DR Elmore. All Blu-ray players can also play regular DVDs.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2008, 08:21:49 PM »

I am not overly convinced by either candidate...

It's the lesser of two (not quite) evils but for me, one is lesser than the other...IMHO (in my humble opinion, in Internet lingo).

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 08:22:34 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2008, 08:24:07 PM »

I'm going to be an actor again!  Do (m)any of you know the play, "Loot" by Joe Orton?  I've heard of him, but I don't know this play.  My friend Tom called because he's directing a local production of it and they haven't yet been able to cast one part (McLeavy).  My name was mentioned and he offered me the role.  My friends Josh and Lauren are also in the show, so that would be a lot of fun. :D

I've pretty much decided to do it, but I've never been in a non-musical play with such a small cast (only six)..meaning, I would have a much larger role and much, much, MUCH (that's three muches) more dialogue than I've ever had to learn.  That's what scares me...all the words.  There are no songs to fall back on.

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2008, 08:24:35 PM »

I spent about two hours tonight going through the bonux features on the new INDY set. They certainly cover all the facets of the production.

They were produced by prime bk favorite Laurent Bouzereau.

George

« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2008, 08:25:05 PM »

Meanwhile, back at the farm, Theater Artists Olympia (I was in their productions of "Cannibal!," "Taming of the Shrew" and "Nite of the Living Dead: The Musical," and with Tom, too) were going to bring back "Cannibal!"  Anyone who was in it the last time could play the same part(s) again.  However, they've decided to do "Reefer Madness!: The Musical" (but not JMK's version called "Going to Pot"...and I did tell them about it!).  Anyway, the two shows rehearse at the same time so I can't be in both.  I was planning on doing "Cannibal!" (and subsequently "Reefer Madness") before the "Loot" offer came in.

George

« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2008, 08:25:49 PM »

"Loot" would definitely be a stretch for me (and I would need to do a Scottish accent) but the new TV season has just started and I'll miss a lot during rehearsals (my DVRs only hold so much before they're filled up, you know ;)). "Reefer Madness" would be easier and the rehearsal schedule would be lighter (I'd be one of many instead of one of only six) and it's a musical (but just not JMK's version).  So, I've got a lot of thinkin' to do (almost a Lee Adams reference ;D).

George

« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2008, 08:26:39 PM »

But as I said, I've pretty much (but not completely) decided to do "Loot."  So far.

George

« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2008, 08:26:50 PM »

Just had to share.

Matt H.

« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2008, 08:28:43 PM »

Page Seven Glinda Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2008, 08:31:13 PM »

I have LOOT in one of my anthologies here, but I'm not sure I've ever read it.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2008, 08:32:59 PM »

After I finished all of the INDY JONES bonus stuff, I put the movie back on and watched the first half hour again (pretty much through Shia La Beouf's introductory scene).

I liked the movie fine though it did seem to meader a bit in the center. At any rate, I'll enjoy watching it all the way through at some future date.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2008, 08:35:34 PM »

Then I watched tonight's reairing of the pilot to THE MENTALIST. The show was OK, and Simon Baker is appealing, but I think the show would be more intellectually stimulating if they showed you HOW he was able to read/observe people to come up with his conclusions. He stares at a corpse and can tell the man was gay? How?

At least on PSYCH, we see what Shawn is noticing and how he arrives at his conclusions based on his observations. With THE MENTALIST, viewers are kept in the dark completely as to what he's seeing. It spares the writers from having to explain anything, and that's simply not top notch writing.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2008, 08:35:35 PM »

YOu have a point George but which one is the lesser of the two is the question..

They argue Obama has no foreign policy. The same could have been argued in the past concerning Bush who has even less...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2008, 08:37:55 PM »

Tomorrow I'll work on AN AUTUMN AFTERNOON and its bonus features. Then on Sunday, I'll begin with NUMBERS, the last of my September TV box sets.

George

« Reply #195 on: September 26, 2008, 08:39:01 PM »

YOu have a point George but which one is the lesser of the two is the question..

For me, it's Obama.  

George

« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2008, 08:39:29 PM »

And now, I'm finally leaving work.  

Until later!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2008, 08:55:11 PM »

DR George - If you've never heard of or read any of Joe Orton's plays, well... You're in for a 'treat'.  ;)

*The movie "Prick Up Your Ears" is a good - and rather frank - biopic of Orton.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 08:55:34 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2008, 09:00:24 PM »

Well... Time for me to head to bed since I'm actually working tomorrow, more auditions.  Should be an interesting day.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2008, 09:01:34 PM »

I have said before and I shall say again - neither of these people should be President of anything.

Well, like it or not, one of them will be - time to pick a side.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2008, 09:05:08 PM »

I am leaning towards Obama...

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2008, 09:07:43 PM »

Time to put myself to bed.

Good night!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2008, 09:07:53 PM »

Good luck vibes for Jose tomorrow!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2008, 09:09:41 PM »

Pleasant dreams Jose and MattH!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2008, 09:10:18 PM »

Do (m)any of you know the play, "Loot" by Joe Orton?

That's what scares me...all the words.  

Loot is a Hoot - we did it at ICT in Long Beach.

No fear - it has no more words that most plays it's length. And in an Orton play you get to chew the scenery instead of other cast members.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:07:56 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2008, 09:46:15 PM »

Just read that the wonderful big band singer Connie Haines passed away at age 87, in Clearwater, Fl.

Aside from two children, she is also survived by her 109 year old mother!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2008, 10:40:05 PM »

I'll be interested to hear MattH's thoughts on Ozu's An Autumn Afternoon.  I'm an Ozuholic, you know, but the region 2 DVDs of his color films are all green and look horrible - then again, the Criterion Good Morning has appallingly bad color, so I'm interested to hear how this looks.  It's a lovely film, if not quite prime Ozu.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2008, 10:44:36 PM »

Office Depot was frustrating.  I thought I was seeing a final version and I'd just say print it and that would be that.  But page two was still not anywhere near being done and I just made the decision to simplify it and we did that fairly quickly.  Then I found about two paragraphs that were in a slightly different font for some reason, so we fixed that, and then I made a few other adjustments.  I was there for thirty minutes, then went home - I was e-mailed the final version, signed off on it, and it was, I'm told, printed.   Next time we do this, perhaps my advice ill be heeded instead of scoffed at - I wanted this to put to bed last Tuesday - that way, we would have had a day or two of calm looking at it and if there were any problems it would have been simple business to fix them with no rush against the clock.  But, it's done and it looks good.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2008, 10:48:15 PM »

I'm listening to the soundtrack of Shaft.  Meanwhile, the guesses about the new Kritzerland CD are fun, but wrong.  I'm trying to give clews that won't give away anything but that may lead people in the right direction.  The two scores are so obscure (the composer is not obscure - he's in the pantheon of great film music composers), that I'm not sure anyone will guess them.  It's not an easy one, but all I can say is the music is cherce.  It will be a short CD and I was worried about that, and I'm still deciding what to charge, but I pulled out one of the early Varese club titles, Alex North's Under The Volcano, and that was a full-price CD back then, and it's nineteen minutes long.  All I know at this point is that I won't charge 19.98 - it will be at least two dollars cheaper than that, maybe three - I just have to make it work for Kritzerland financially.

George

« Reply #209 on: September 27, 2008, 12:17:59 AM »

DR George - If you've never heard of or read any of Joe Orton's plays, well... You're in for a 'treat'.  ;)

*The movie "Prick Up Your Ears" is a good - and rather frank - biopic of Orton.

Thanks for the info. :)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up