Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: BRAZILIAN WAX  (Read 65552 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re: BRAZILIAN WAX
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 07:57:25 AM »

"No...YOU'RE cuter!"

photo:    Nemesis

"No, I do not want to pull your finger, thank-you very much!"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 08:02:41 AM »

[I don't watch the show, but I'm sure you meant Derek Hough with Brooke.

Yep i totally meant derek. I wonder why i wrote david!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 08:04:46 AM »

I'm back from a lovelier than lovely walk down from 82nd Street to 72nd through Riverside Park, which is glorious at the moment: the day and weather are wonderful, lots of nurses nd their children all over the Park, and a nice walk for contemplation.  Then over to Broadway and a stop at Broadway Market at 77th. I ran into Elaine Stritch's musical director Rob Bowman and had a nice chat with him. They're off to Pittsburgh in two days and then off to Detroit. She keeps working, God love her.

I got in, took some laundry out of the dryers; one is still working poorly, which has been a cosntant annoyance for about two months now. The big question is, are the complaints to the landlord getting to the service people or are the swervice people incompetent? So, I've got another hour of laundry while other things dry.

I just called DR Jose to check in on things, and his family is meeting with her surgeon around 1 pm, which I would guess is for a status report on how things are progressing. We only spoke briefly and I know he'll provide a much more inteligent and informed update than mine later.  Keep those vibes coming!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 08:05:16 AM »

It's pretty well known that I don't drive.  (Even after promising that I would, but we haven't gotten around to it yet, and I haven't had much time off from work so that I can get in much or any practice.)

So, years ago, it provoked a good deal of laughter when I won a door prize at the office Christmas party: a complementary lube job for my car.

On the other hand, that's what someone considered a Christmassy door prize?  Sheesh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2008, 08:06:37 AM »

It's pretty well known that I don't drive.  (Even after promising that I would, but we haven't gotten around to it yet, and I haven't had much time off from work so that I can get in much or any practice.)

So, years ago, it provoked a good deal of laughter when I won a door prize at the office Christmas party: a complementary lube job for my car.

On the other hand, that's what someone considered a Christmassy door prize?  Sheesh.

I don't guess they made substitutions as to the object?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2008, 08:07:45 AM »

Ron Pulliam's dear friend (whose name just went out of my brain) who had his own syndicated TV program CINEMA SHOWCASE offered the soundtrack album for NASHVILLE as a prize for the first 10 callers. I won one of those.

Jim Whaley.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2008, 08:09:22 AM »

That's the title of my next novella:

I Won a Lube Job at the Office Christmas Party

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 08:18:18 AM »

I've gone through life saying, "I've never won ANYthing!"  Generally, I mean that in the sense that I've never won anything "substantial."

Of course I've picked up the odd win here and there.  I have won a couple of sparkling prizes in the latent Broadway quizzes here at HainesHisWay.com.  One was the incandescent "Das Barbeçu"!  :D

I once won a table clock as a sort of raffle prize at the Allied Officers Club annual Charity Bazaar in Naples, Italy.  The clock is battery operated and looks ornate, but its main feature -- a faux pendulum -- does not work.  That, of course, is why it was donated to the raffle (which had tons of prizes).  So...it was nice to have "won", but it would have been nicer without the flawed movement.

I've also won the odd bottle of wine at dinner parties, etc.  Do lottery wins count?  I've played so long that I've never come close to recouping what I spend on lottery tickets in six months, so I don't exactly jump up and down and dream of retirement when I pick up the odd $70 or $140 dollars on very rare occasions.

My Aunt Doris is a "winner" when it comes to prizes.  She seems to win just about everything she enters (except lottery jackpots).  If a store is giving away a refrigerator, my Aunt Doris's entry stub will be drawn.  If there is a trip to Hawaii, my Aunt Doris wins it.  Most family members who are with her won't even bother entering if she does.  Of course, she doesn't win every time (and neither does anyone else "we" know).  But she's one of those people who seem to have the "touch".

I do win auctions many times.  But, you know...you have to PAY when you do that!  ;)

singdaw

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2008, 08:22:32 AM »

The Flawed Movement...

My scientific study of...     :P     

:-X   Never mind!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 08:22:45 AM »

I've won a few hundred dollars in our state lottery a couple of times.  And I won a pretty nice jackpot (can't remember how much right now) right off the bat on our honeymoon in Las Vegas, which of course I then gave right back to them at other games.  :)  I'm still waiting for one of my sparkling prizes from BK.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2008, 08:24:38 AM »

I won a sparkling prize once. The contest was to name the notes, so I plagiarized something witty that DR Sandra said and BK chose it for the title.

singdaw

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2008, 08:27:22 AM »

A friend of mine just went on in a major role at the Metropolitan Opera last night - the premiere of John Adam's Doctor Atomic, about the life of Robert Openheimer.

To actors you say, "Break a leg!"

To opera singers, you say either "Toi, toi, toi" or "In bocca al lupo" [in the mouth of the wolf], to which the proper response is "Crepi il lupo" [I will eat the wolf].  Don't ask me why.   :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2008, 08:30:02 AM »

Ron Pulliam's dear friend (whose name just went out of my brain) who had his own syndicated TV program CINEMA SHOWCASE offered the soundtrack album for NASHVILLE as a prize for the first 10 callers. I won one of those.

Jim Whaley.

Yes. I thought of his name the second I signed back on and was going to go back and add it to the original post. No need to now. Thanks.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2008, 08:30:37 AM »

"Don't Ask Me Why" is the name of my new book on factual encounters with upleasant people.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2008, 08:32:01 AM »

Well, I'm heading down now to see what is in today's mail (likely very little since usually the day after a Monday holiday is very light on mail, as if they hadn't bothered to sort anything on the day away).

WBBL.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2008, 08:33:16 AM »

Oh, I forgot to mention last night in recapping my evening viewing that I also watched CHARLIE CHAN'S MURDER CRUISE. This was another Chan I had seen before on the Fox Movie Channel and guessed the murderer's identity the first time I saw it, but it's still an enjoyable Chan outing, and the transfer is really superb.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2008, 08:33:35 AM »

And now I'm REALLY going!

;D

singdaw

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2008, 08:41:35 AM »

"Don't Ask Me Why" is the name of my new book on factual encounters with unpleasant people.

As opposed to fictional encounters with peasant people.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2008, 08:43:04 AM »

Re: Last night's "Heroes"

SPOILERS

Salacadoola menchacaboola bibbido-bobbidi-boo I was pretty well pleased with last night's episode.  It's nice to see Angela Petrelli's more vulnerable side from time to time and she has lately been such an uber-witch that last night's show was a nice change of pace.  I think it's very odd, but endearing, that we're seeing a more gentle Sylar, although I'm not certain whether that's because Peter Petrelli took his more dangerous attributes from him or what.  That's not clear to me, although that may be what happened.  I'm not at all pleased with what we're seeing Mohinder doing, but there may be something a bit less sinister going on than meets the eye.  So far as I can tell, he's putting his "victims" into some kind of stasis rather than killing them.  But...is he also "changing" them for some purpose?  The Hiro/Ando bit grew tireseome again, but I wasn't prepared -- and did not believe -- the slaying of Ando by Hiro.  Hiro obviously stabbed him, but I'm guessing he has an ulterior motive -- plus the option of going back and turning the tables on everyone whenever he wants to.  Hiro, at least, has the retention of memory when he goes back in time.  Adrian Pasdar looked a bit different last night as Nathan Petrelli.  His grooming or something gave him a different, yet better, look.  I laughed out loud -- and repeated my laughter at the memory of it later -- over that scene with him and Ali Larter in bed.   They had obviously slept together, but she was still wearing her pearls!  LOL!!!  I liked the sequence with Claire and the man who created vortexes.  Claire is more appealing when she isn't being forced to act "severe".  I look forward to upcoming episodes.  HRG -- or, Noah Bennett -- just doesn't seem to ever "get it".  As many times as he seemingly "rehabilitates" his attitude, he still does stuff that is going to lead to disaster in his personal life.  Supercalifgragilistiexpialidocious even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious.

End Spoiler

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2008, 08:44:30 AM »

"No Need to Now" is the name of the new play I'm outlining about all the things I'd planned on doing by the time I reached 50.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »

"In bocca al lupo" [in the mouth of the wolf], to which the proper response is "Crepi il lupo" [I will eat the wolf].  Don't ask me why.   :)

Are you sure the opera isn't by Duran Duran?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »

I'm up and the sky is blue and my nose is red.  Not sure how I feel yet, other than groggy.

Kerry

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2008, 09:14:54 AM »

Tell me more.
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2008, 09:17:26 AM »

Dear Esteemed BK:

I understand that the Los Angeles area has a few brushfires burning today.  How is the air quality?  Hoping you aren't suffering from the smoke, in addition to your other ails of late.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2008, 09:19:04 AM »

Haven't seen or smelled any evidence of the brushfires, thankfully

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2008, 09:19:06 AM »

Tell me more.

He'll have to make up the story, because I certainly never went to the kind of office Christmas party that anyone would want to write about.

Drat.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2008, 09:20:38 AM »

Der B wants to hog get some work done on the computer, and I want to go to the Farmer's Market today (from what I've heard, the last market of the season).  Later, all.

Kerry

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2008, 09:32:24 AM »

Besides a few things (very minor) Iwon through Top 40 radio stations, I won $45.00 (all in quarters just as I was boarding the plane from Las vegas to Phoenix.  The cashier at Lucky's was not amused when I used them to pay for groceries the next day.

I won a radio (that somewhat resembled R2D2 long before R2D2 existed) by winning an essay contest through a local furniture store on "Why I Love America."  This was in 1970, so anyone who loved America probably won something.

I also won a plane ticket for a trip to Disneyland.  My mother was going to fly to the east coast to see her mother around that time, and times were tough  then for my family, so i traded the ticket in for her trip to Philadelphia and paid the difference with a tax refund.

My aunt has always been one of thos people who enter contests and wants me to do so.

Oh, I also won the soundtrack LP to "Grease" and two tickets to the Phoenix premiere for coming in second place for a 50's trivia contest.  OY!!!!!
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2008, 09:32:25 AM »

I guess that sounds better than "I wanna"
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:00:59 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2008, 09:33:40 AM »

Lovely fo-toes of DR GEORGE's gifts from work....all those years......very nice to be appreciated.

VIBES for the family of  DR JOSE.

I am intrigued by DR DANISE's story of the toad.  They are harbingers of good news, DR DANISE - so expect something exciting to happen very soon.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up