Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMAGINE MY SURPRISE  (Read 32539 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
IMAGINE MY SURPRISE
« on: February 27, 2004, 12:00:57 AM »

Surprise - you've read the notes, you've imagined my surprise and I've imagined loads of lovely postings, so to it, I say.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 12:01:59 AM by bk »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:IMAGINE MY SURPRISE
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 12:09:27 AM »

The lovely wife, Julieanne and I just got back from a lovely repast at Harlan and Susan Ellison's house.  Also breaking bread with us was author/comic book writer Neil Gaiman.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 12:27:28 AM »

We have been watching the episodes of "Cambridge Spies" on DVD this week. Wonderful viewing.
CD player.
Thanks to exposter Allan from the UK have been introduced to the wonderful Katie Melua "Call Off the Search". a #1 album in the UK and IMHO so much more interesting than the much bought and lauded Nora Jones. From the same source a very interesting album "Encounter" by Amick Byram. Newest purchase,which I have yet to play, is the "Best Of David Bowie"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 12:47:20 AM »

I hope you'll forgive us, esteemed BK, if der Brucer and I don't make it to the Bookfellows event this time.  It seems we're no longer local yokels.  On the other hand, if you were to have a reading and signing here in Delaware, or even in DC or Philly or Baltimore, I'm sure we'd be there will pantaloons and pointy hats and cookies!

As for what we're CDing and DVDing, der Brucer has our main stereo system set up (at last), so we've been juggling almost everything into the players, to make sure everything sounds the way it should.  It does.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 03:52:59 AM »

Good morning.  Yesterday was a very frustrating day, but we'll see how today goes.

BK asked what's in my various toys around the apartment:

DVD:  28 DAYS LATER

CD:  Wicked (OCR)
       The Marco Polo Soundtrack to ROBIN HOOD
       Offenbach:  La Belle Helene

VCR:  BEST IN SHOW

I may be E&T for the next week, finishing up a singer's act for a cruise to the Mediterranean.  I'd rather be sailing.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 04:04:39 AM »

Would like to make a correction in today's note.

Sam Jaffe did not win an oscar for Asphlat Jungle

The category that year:

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Winner:
All About Eve (1950) - George Sanders

Other Nominees:
Asphalt Jungle, The (1950) - Sam Jaffe
Broken Arrow (1950) - Jeff Chandler
Mister 880 (1950) - Edmund Gwenn
Sunset Blvd. (1950) - Erich von Stroheim

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 04:06:43 AM »

CD Player: The King and I (Donna Murphy/BK produced album)

Nothing in DVD player.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 04:08:38 AM »

Have a question about TiVo.

Is this a subscription service like cable tv or a satellite dish and if so how does this machine actually work?
Never stop dreaming.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 04:55:49 AM »

DR Charles Pogue, I am as jealous of you as I know how to be!  I've met Neil Gaiman a couple of times, now, but still have yet to even be in the same room with HE.  You must regale us with tales of the bread-breaking.  If nothing very interesting happened, invent something!

CD: The Beatles Revolver
VCR: For Me and My Gal
DVD: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Lulu

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 05:02:21 AM »

C'mon, Jrand and Ben *nudge*

What's in y'all's players?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 05:03:00 AM »

My what a lovely bunch of posts yesterday!  Everything...just everything!  ;D

I like peanut butter and maple syrup!  Hold the mayo, DRMBARNUM!

*Sigh* everytime DRCHARLESPOGUE talks about dining with Mr Harlan Ellison....what sparkling conversation must flow....  DR CP - please let him know that his book THE GLASS TEAT is STILL the best collection of television criticism I have EVER read...and that is an opinion I formed as a 15 year old...and it has NEVER changed - I still have my battered paperback copy!   :D

And DRCP made my day...I have had three plays produced, I have had articles published on the internet, AND I am on the Masthead of Scarlet Street magazine...I AM a writer----THEY said so!   ;)

Because I am working on LOVING LUCY my media is consumed by All Things Ball:

DVD: I Love Lucy - The Lost Pilot, 1st DVD in the First Season Set!

VCR:  Lucy Desi Comedy Hour with Danny Thomas...Lucy Ricardo in BED with Danny Williams?  You betcha....and Kathy walks in!  God Bless Marjorie Lord....she actually thought someone was going to be looking at her reactions in the scene!  And can anyone say "Banana Nose" better than Gale Gordon?

CD:  Babalu Music - a collection of musical moments from I Love Lucy.

Hey, this ain't work....it's a joy!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 05:03:53 AM »

Hey DRLULU - as you can see I was being verbose!

And had almost the same reaction to DRCP's post fromt yesterday....LOL

Ben

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2004, 05:06:33 AM »

The revival of Fiddler has opened to decent reviews. The best seem to come from Linda Winer at Newsday and Howard Kissel at NY Daily News. As Jose said yesterday, no raves but no complete pans either. I'm going to try and see it this weekend.

I'm in full musical theatre mode today. Don't know if I'll listen to them all at work but I have:

The Rothschilds OBC
The Music Man OBC
Stop the World OBC
Sweeney Todd OBC
Starting Here, Starting Now Original Cast Recording (it was done off-Broadway)

Anthony is on Long Island for clown shows this weekend and I'm off to Carnegie Hall tonight to see a friend sing in a concert. I shall then try in the remaining time this weekend to see Wonderful Town, the aforementioned Fiddler and if I can fit it in, budget and time-wise, something else. Perhaps Wicked or Movin' Out. I, therefore, will not be watching much on the VCR.

Lulu

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 05:13:37 AM »

Jrand: Did you know HE came out with a "sequel" to The Glass Teat entitled - you guessed it - The Other Glass Teat?  It's just as good, and has added benefits, such as memorable criticism of George Hamilton ("he walks like a man who's gotten his pegleg caught in a knothole") as well as a complete copy of HE's script for The Young Lawyers (so he can point out all the ways that those dumb ol' performers and director ruined his work).  Oh, and I'm particularly enamored of his cogent review of that new show The Partridge Family - to wit:  "Mother of GOD."

Ben

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2004, 05:17:04 AM »

It hasn't opened yet, but part of me wants to see the NY City Opera production of Sweeney but the other part says, "Remember A Little Night Music last year" There are some good people in the Sweeney cast so it will be sung better than Night Music was (the image of Jeremy Irons fighting to remember not only the words but the music pop into my head). Mark Delavan is Sweeney and Elaine Page is Mrs. Lovett but the NY State Theatre is such a barn when it comes to theatre performances, and even half price the tickets are expensive so I may just skip it. I do, after all, have fond memories of the original cast w/Ms. Lansbury, the tour cast (a friend was in the production), the revival in 1989 I believe, at the old Circle in the Square, and the wonderful Kennedy Center production with sexy Brian Stokes Mitchell and Christine Baranski. If I miss this one, I will go on.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2004, 05:36:45 AM »

OMG DR Lulu   NO I DIDN'T....

**** disappears to Amazon.com

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2004, 05:36:51 AM »

DR Charles Pogue, I am as jealous of you...still have yet to even be in the same room with HE.  You must regale us with tales of the bread-breaking.
Even though I would tower over him, I'd probably find Elison to be intimidating to the point of being speechless.  Not so der Brucer, who would engage the writer in a very lively conversation, I'm sure.  The question would become, how can anyone other than these two get a word in edgewise?

We could sell tickets!   :D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2004, 05:41:06 AM »

A media addendum: der Brucer has also hooked up a turntable, and has been playing some of his vinyl collection.

I have to say it.  I've been holding it in, but I can't any longer.

I Can't Stand The Score For Oliver!

There, I've said it, and I feel better for it.

Whew!

:-\

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2004, 05:43:09 AM »

I'm back...just ordered THE OTHER GLASS TEAT...thanks DRLulu.

A couple of my favorite sentences - in a tome full of favorite sentences - from THE GLASS TEAT:

" 'The King Family' is the Harold Robbins of television, lower than that I cannot go.  Everybody start rubbing on the Velveeta!"  
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 05:44:23 AM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2004, 05:44:57 AM »

DRSWW - I would buy a ticket to that!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2004, 06:32:56 AM »

The King Family--another great contribution to society from SLC.  LOL.  Lex de Azevedo founded a little label called Aubergine (Eggplant for you non hoity-toity types) years ago based in SLC.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2004, 06:42:46 AM »

Speaking of the King Family, Alvino Rey died recently. His obit was in the NY Times today.

From the first paragraph:

"Alvino Rey, a bandleader of the swing era who made the steel guitar sing and led many talented young musicians in honing their signature sounds, died on Tuesday at his home in Salt Lake City. He was 95."
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 06:44:36 AM by Ben »

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2004, 06:43:58 AM »

Wow, I never knew there were so many combinations that went with peanut butter. I have never heard of it on a sandwich with butter, or maple syrup or anything other than jelly! :)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2004, 06:46:21 AM »

I don't care what the reviews say, I have no interest in another FIDDLER... especially one that's been de-Jewed.  Any production that fired the wonderful Barbara Barrie Harnick (allegedly for being too sophisticated but actually for being too Jewish) is not worth seeing.  I am seeing SWEENEY although the performance I am seeing has Timothy Nolan, the alternate Sweeney (he did it at NYCO before).  I think they tried to sell tickets to NIGHT MUSIC by using movie stars.  Some of it worked, some didn't.  Next season they are bringing back CANDIDE.

Media report...

CD - (1) Former DR Susan Gordon in THE 5 PENNIES soundtrack; she is on 2 tracks and there is a nice color picture of her on the jewelbox inset (I think that's the term).  (2) SHERRY which doesn't have the annoying narration that the demo has.  (3) THE MUSICAL OF MUSICALS - THE MUSICAL cast album.  For those not familiar with this recent York Theatre show, it takes the same simple story and presents it  "in the style of" Rodgers & Hammerstein, Sondheim, Herman, Lord Lloyd Weber and Kander & Ebb.

DVD - CAMP, the most under-rated (non-animated) film of 2003 and THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY (although the original and the sequal are packaged together the sequal is not nearly as good --- but isn't that usually the case?).

VHS - 2 PBS specials we taped during the week to watch over the weekend: Rob and Laura Petrie in THE GIN GAME and the Garland documentary.

Cassette - Almost through with the 20 episodes of "Broadway Is My Beat" and then I start a new Jack Benny collection with 40 episodes from his very early shows on to the end of his radio career.

Books - ACT ONE by Moss Hart which I have not read in over 40 years.  The new edition needed proofreading as there are several typos --- something BK does not  allow in his books --- but it is interesting reading nonetheless.

By the way, The Museum of Television and Radio will be having two programs of musical numbers from the Alexander Cohen Tony years including numbers that were not allowed on the TV special and DVD.  This will be in May.  I'll post more details as it gets closer.  Is the Museum's LA branch showing these as well?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2004, 06:47:50 AM »

If DR Michael Shayne hadn't corrected the Sam Jaffe gaffe, I would have. Sad to say, the wonderful actor never won an Oscar.

DR S. Woody, sorry you don't like the score to OLIVER! I think it's magnificent.

Media check:

CD - ANYTHING GOES (Lincoln Center OCR)

VCR - ROCK PRETTY BABY

VDR - LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN

DVD - ANGEL - Season 1, disc 2 to be followed by GRAND HOTEL
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2004, 06:52:27 AM »

Oh since the King Family has been mentioned I suppose I should confess that I had the hots for Robbie Rey, one of the "cousins".  Their show was a combination of good standard pop music and pure camp.  Two "highlight/low points" I remember:

Robbie and one of the other male cousins (who both came off very gay) singing "Why can't a woman be more like a man"!

A "Mary Poppins" medley ending with the following sung to the tune of a popular Christmas song:

We wish you a Mary Poppins
   And a Walt Disney too.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2004, 06:58:12 AM »

Velveeta indeed!  I have one of their TV show albums...the last track on side one is a short song telling us to "turn the record over!"

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2004, 07:01:06 AM »

DR Charles Pogue, I am as jealous of you as I know how to be!  I've met Neil Gaiman a couple of times, now, but still have yet to even be in the same room with HE.  You must regale us with tales of the bread-breaking.  If nothing very interesting happened, invent something!

Another vote for jealousy here!  I've never even met Gaimen, let alone broke bread with him.  He's been through Philly on numerous occaisions, but I had always been otherwise engaged.  

DVD/CD/VCR check:
DVD -- The Judy Garland/Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin special
CD (at home) -- Carla Bley -- Looking for America
CD (at work) -- Fiddler on the Roof (OCR)
VCR -- the Paul Taylor Dance in America that was broadcast the other week

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2004, 07:25:54 AM »

Media check:

TV is on the fritz, so DVD/VCR has been idle
CD player (as I get ready to head out): Promenade

Question for dog psychiatrists. Archie, our 12-year-old spaniel, had two recent spells at the vet's - several nights each. The diagnosis? Colitis. (New series for Fred Silverman: Diagnosis Colitis?) Happily, thanks to his medication, Archie's been a happy camper: playful, sleeping contentedly by my feet as I work, eating well.

That is, except for two hours between about four and six in the afternoon - every afternoon - when he barks continuously. I've tried an extra walk, extra food, extra playtime - but he just gets himself more and more agitated. Then, suddenly, he calms down. What's giving me a complex is that he responds to Gord's (deeper) "Archie, NO!" but becomes still barkier when I say it. The vet thinks it might be a hearing problem, but couldn't come up with any other explanation. Ideas about what I can do to calm Archie down?

Thanks, DRs.

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2004, 07:45:27 AM »

Media check :

VCR: The Giant Claw (via DR JRand53)

DVD: The Secret of Dr. Kildare and a Bollywood film titled THE TRAIN (which, by the way, is one of the first Bollywood films that I have just enjoyed despite having a cast of some of my favorite 1960s Bollywood performers)

CD: The Best of Sandie Shaw and Iceland's Entries in the Eurovision contest 1986 to 2000 (via DR Tomovoz...these are fast becoming two of my favorite CDs!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up