Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMAGINE MY SURPRISE  (Read 32548 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:IMAGINE MY SURPRISE
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2004, 11:49:45 AM »

...But, I do believe that synecdoche means a kind of metaphor in which you represent the whole thing by citing one part or vice versa. For example, head of cattle for many cows, or conversely "the law" for one lonely cop.
OH!  A symbolic fractal!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2004, 11:53:17 AM »

Page Four Dance!
[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D ;D ;D :D  :D ;D ;D :D  :D ;D ;D :D  ;D :D :D ;D[/move]
[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D :D :D ;D  :D ;D ;D :D  ;D :D :D ;D  :D ;D ;D :D[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2004, 11:53:29 AM »

Now I KNOW that was something that Dorothy Provine advertised!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2004, 11:59:49 AM »

Jrand 53 - I just emailed you a photo to upload if you are so inclined. (It's one I had promised just for you.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2004, 12:00:47 PM »

The term "diegetic" has been taken up by some in the musical theatre.  A diegetic song in a show is something like say "Cabaret" or "Let Me Entertain You", where the characters are actually singing in their real lives, as opposed to "book songs"  (there is surely a fancy Greek word for that too?).  You could say all the songs in The Dead and the film of Cabaret are diegetic.
Another example would be the musical version of Goodbye Mr. Chips

The songs "Fill the World With Love," "London is London," and "Schooldays" are diegetic songs.  The others ("Walk Through the World," "And the Sky Smiled," "What a Lot of Flowers," "You and I," etc.) are not.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2004, 12:03:22 PM »

Dan-in-Toronto we once had a dog with Colitis-sure glad you have it under control.  I hope it doesn’t flare up during his barking attacks.

I have never been confronted with a similar situation.  If my dogs bark, I expect there is something out there I can’t hear or smell.  Does he continue to bark if you take him completely out of the area?  It is possible he hears something you can’t.

One of the reasons I like the name Echo is it’s easier for me to drop my voice.  With the name Archie my voice would naturally go up on the ie.  Having a high voice I have practiced a deep, I mean business, voice that works.  Well, most of the time.  I have had friends imitate it, so maybe you can practice imitating Gord’s voice.  I have also found putting Echo on a down-stay when she is excited helps.

I will be very interested to read others suggestions you might receive.  Good luck.  This must be driving you bonkers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2004, 12:03:43 PM »

thanks DRPANNI will take care of it at Chez Jack in an hour or so....I already have This Happy Feeling about the whole thing!

Panni

« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2004, 12:07:44 PM »

OH!  A symbolic fractal!

Same to you, SWW!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2004, 12:08:11 PM »

My Uncle Rube was a diagetic and had to take insulin shots.  I used to watch him do so whenever he and his wife visited LA.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2004, 12:09:13 PM »

So your Uncle Rube was a pickpocket - huh?

Jane

« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2004, 12:11:06 PM »

before Archie's condition, this wasn't only dinner and play time, but dessert time. Now, following the vet's strict orders, there's to be no dessert (i.e., dog treats) - only the specified dog food. Maybe that's why he's so agitated.

Can you save a portion of his dinner & pretend it is dessert?  I have found it works with dry food.  I know this sounds silly but it might really work.

Panni

« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2004, 12:12:33 PM »

FS Pogue - Sorry to hear about Cully. That's the one drawback of having pets - they age much too soon. On the other hand, I wouldn't want a parrot that lived on to tell my secrets. That news story from a month or two ago about Churchill's parrot seems to have disappeared. Probably not true. Too bad.

Panni

« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2004, 12:17:15 PM »

Factoid of the day and then I must work. Did you know that when you crack bones (knuckles, toes, etc) what you are hearing is not the sound of actual bones cracking -- that would be terribly painful. You are hearing the release of gas trapped between the joints.
Okay - let's see who's first with the fart jokes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2004, 12:19:30 PM »

Is that why so many pianists stink?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2004, 12:19:32 PM »

I would agree with you 100% DR TCB if I had not once seen Hamlet dressed in black leather hotpants spinning on a wheel yelling "To be or not to be...."

Now I did not say that I cheered at each reinvention of Shakespeare (having personally endured Christopher Walken's gold lame Hamlet), but rather the critics seem to cheer.  Some of these attempts work better than others.  As George would agree, the rock 'n roll Twelfth Night is a wonderful show.  Some others I have been involved with, The Tempest set in the Louisiana bayou, just don't seem to work at all.  At the same time, nobody is going to complain that the choreography in a new production of Romeo and Juliet is wrong, because it isn't Bill Shakespeare's original design.  So why should every new Fiddler have to pay hommage to Mr. Robbins?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2004, 12:25:13 PM »

I'll have to do my media check later, mainly because I don't have anything to report.

Anyway, speaking of Fiddler On the Roof, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet (I'm only up to page 2), but Playbill.com reported that Sister of Jerome Robbins Dies at Fiddler's Opening Night.  Shades of 42nd Street.

Jerome Robbins' sister also died at the opening of 42nd Street?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2004, 12:31:19 PM »

Factoid of the day and then I must work. Did you know that when you crack bones (knuckles, toes, etc) what you are hearing is not the sound of actual bones cracking -- that would be terribly painful. You are hearing the release of gas trapped between the joints.
Okay - let's see who's first with the fart jokes.

That is good to know, because Charles saves gas when he wears underwear.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2004, 12:36:41 PM »

Oh, just to get Jane going:

Butter melted into the toast, then melt the peanut butter a little bit on top of each slice in the toaster oven.  Cover with honey, add sliced onions, slap the bread together.  Heaven!

GROSS! GROSS! GROSS!  ;D ;D ;D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2004, 12:37:04 PM »

Finished watching GRAND HOTEL this afternoon and was surprised when Prising killed the Baron. For some reason, I thought the Baron committed suicide. I must be mixing up the Baron with the character John Barrymore played in DINNER AT EIGHT. I hadn't seen GRAND HOTEL in many years and enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 12:38:33 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2004, 12:42:59 PM »

Lulu I was very disappointed when The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. was cancelled.  I especially enjoyed Bruce Campbell, whom I believe lives in one of my local towns.
Kolchak: The Night Stalker with Darren McGavin was another good show.

WFO the X-Files episodes with Darren McGavin were delightful.  
Since Joe is in the hospital are you able to talk to him directly on a daily basis?

CharlesPogue I’m sorry Cully and you are having a difficult time.  :(  

JRand53 regarding Libby Appel, where was this play?  She is now the director of our Ashland Shakespeare Festival.  Needless to say Keith & I are very careful now before purchasing our tickets.  If the play isn’t staged in traditional costume, we pass on it.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2004, 12:50:45 PM »

GROSS! GROSS! GROSS!  ;D ;D ;D

Well, while we're on the subject:

I once read where Inuit Eskimos will buy sticks of butter, insert them with skewers, sprinkle them with sugar and freeze them, then eat them like popsickles for a snack.

And I remember a particular Galloping Gourmet in which Graham Kerr spent the entire half hour painstakingly making two perfect wafer-thin crepes, only to fold an entire brick of Philadelphia cream cheese into one of them and eat it with his hands.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2004, 01:01:33 PM »

Dan (the Man) I have read of that favorite Eskimo treat, made with whale fat or something comparable.

I did a quick google search and couldn’t find anything, but didn’t the Galloping Gourmet have to change his style of cooking due to heart problems

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2004, 01:01:36 PM »

That is, except for two hours between about four and six in the afternoon - every afternoon - when he barks continuously. I've tried an extra walk, extra food, extra playtime - but he just gets himself more and more agitated. Then, suddenly, he calms down. What's giving me a complex is that he responds to Gord's (deeper) "Archie, NO!" but becomes still barkier when I say it. The vet thinks it might be a hearing problem, but couldn't come up with any other explanation. Ideas about what I can do to calm Archie down?

Just guessing here, but is it possible that his meds are causing some kind of ringing in his ears?  It could be that as the pills are breaking down in his system that the components are causing some temporary tintinitus.  I have heard of that kind of side effect occurring in humans with certain kinds of medication.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2004, 01:03:11 PM »

Jane:  Yes, fortunately, Joe has pretty regular access to the telephone in the "Medical Unit".  Back in the cells it would become a big wait-in-line, pecking-order kind of thing with all the attendant Oz drama.  Visits, however:  two one-hour visits a week, with reservations to be made 24 hours in advance at a phone number that is constantly busy.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 01:04:45 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2004, 01:05:54 PM »

Dan (the Man) I have read of that favorite Eskimo treat, made with whale fat or something comparable.

Kind of makes you wonder where they got the idea for Eskimo Pies.

I did a quick google search and couldn’t find anything, but didn’t the Galloping Gourmet have to change his style of cooking due to heart problems

Yeah, I kind of remember another show he did with a heathy cooking theme--something like Eating Smart with Graham Kerr.  
-- Anaïs Nin

Jed

« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2004, 01:10:29 PM »

The next person I hear say that Sondheim is easy is going to get bitch-slapped.
After doing 3 recitals of the guy's music (about 50 songs in all), I wouldn't dare say such a thing, TCB!

I don't know what I did, but I pulled the damned thing lying in bed!
Now now, BK.  Keep that up and you'll go blind!  :o

Oh, and thank you to WFO for reminding me of the peanut butter and onion combo.  Another guilty culinary pleasure!  (Sorry to add to your nausea, Jane  ;))

I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2004, 01:11:50 PM »

Careful with spoiler alerts if you're talking about plot developments in movies.

Jed

« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2004, 01:16:35 PM »

Hmmm... currently using the computer of the teacher I'm substituting for today (usually don't do that, but this guy's a friend of mine), and I noticed a thing called "PageRank" on his toolbar.  It says it's "Google's measure of the importance of this page," yet it ranks HHW as only 1 out of 10!!!  What fools these Google-heads be!  We're AT LEAST a 2! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2004, 01:17:32 PM »

More of our garden friends.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2004, 01:18:16 PM »

Yes, Graham Kerr, quit drinking, found God, moved to Tacoma, and started cooking healthy meals.  What is wrong with this picture?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 01:18:53 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up