Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOVEMBER COMETH  (Read 37608 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: THE NOVEMBER COMETH
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2008, 07:50:23 AM »

About IRON MAN. I found I enjoyed the opening hour much more the second time around. I knew nothing about the origins of Iron Man's suit, and the opening capture sequence and fashioning the first jerry-rigged version was not that interesting the first time. After I saw the REAL suit later, it was more fun seeing the first suit again take shape.

My biggest disappointment with the movie was the final confrontation with the villain which seemed a rather tired mini-version of TRANSFORMERS. And the David-Goliath aspect of the fight couldn't have been more predictable.

That said, I found Downey's quirky-smart-self deprecating hero refreshing and Gwyneth was a thousand times more enjoyable here than when she was directly involved in the heroics in SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW (where I found her so annoying I wanted to put my foot through the TV screen.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2008, 07:51:02 AM »

Since I'm assuming the upload folder still hasn't been emptied, I won't take the time to try a phto page dance.

Page Two Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »

I'll try my best to finish up with STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO today. Since I only have CSI: NY tonight to watch, that will give me a huge chunk of the evening to finish the DVD box set up.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 07:53:02 AM »

As for other viewing, I still have last night's THE SHIELD to watch (which I'll probably do while I cook and eat lunch). I haven't gotten to Sunday's MAD MEN season finale yet either. And I'd like to finish THUNDERBALL on Blu-ray if there is time.

Kerry

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2008, 07:56:53 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DD DIXIE BELL!!!

Awww--  Happy Birthday, indeed!
I like boat races.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 08:01:42 AM »

Yesterday, on a whim, I picked up the 3-D version of THE POLAR EXPRESS.  I tried to watch it on my home PC (wearing the 3-D glasses that are included) and it looked terrible!  While the 3-D effect was easily discernible, the color was washed out and there was a strange double image throughout that I don't recall seeing in other 3-D films.  And the red/blue glasses were giving me a headache. 

Now I can't wait to look at the 3-D JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH which I also purchased.

We started that in 3D (and Blu-ray) last night--same deal with the color, very pale and unsaturated, but the 3D effects were spectacular, especially that little buggy thing at the beginning.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2008, 08:02:11 AM »

It is Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 8 a.m.

How can it possibly be "almost" November?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2008, 08:10:22 AM »

I was sorry to read about the demise of "The Ex-List" on CBS.  Lead actress Rachel Boston was virtually incandescent as Bella Bloom, and the story's premise and execution were delightfully quirky and entertaining.

It's all the more irritating that networks demand either an "instant time-slot winner" or they axe good shows that could use a little time to build an audience. CBS' current policies are particularly egregious.  Two years ago, they had a hit with "Jericho" and then pulled it off the air for several months.  There was a writer's strike, yes, but they didn't pull it because of that.  They pulled it to introduce "another" show they wanted to build an audience for.  When "Jericho" returned, the audience had deserted CBS in that time slot for another show.

"The Ex-List" had the misfortune of inheriting the time slot CBS covets on Friday nights -- 9-10 p.m.  The network couldn't capture a win at that time with last year's wonderful "Moonlight" and axed it despite a very vocal, appreciative fan base.   Two really good shows cancelled because the network could not give either one of them sufficient time to find the audience "size" it wanted immediately.

"Instant gratification" in TV ratings is something that comes from mindless, dumbing-down entertainment.  I'm certain CBS is formulating some new reality "hell" for Friday nights now.   
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008, 08:13:33 AM »

I'm certain CBS is formulating some new reality "hell" for Friday nights now.   

Yes, I've heard it involves a bunch of disgruntled viewers who compete to post the snarkiest blog entries.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 08:20:30 AM »

I have to admit that all DVDs are not equal when it comes to color.

But, I also have to admit that HDTVs do not auto-adjust themselves to display DVD color palettes to their best advantage.

I recently saw this "Picture perfect: HDTV tune-up tips" article that might prove useful to some here.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2008, 08:21:18 AM »

I'm certain CBS is formulating some new reality "hell" for Friday nights now.   

Yes, I've heard it involves a bunch of disgruntled viewers who compete to post the snarkiest blog entries.   ;D

Well, then, that's particularly good news for several folks here.   I expect you and Jose to be stars.  I'd have mentioned Miss Karen, but I suspect her heart isn't in network television.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:24:07 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 08:26:30 AM »

About "Iron Man", the film has had no appeal for me whatsoever.  I never found the promos enticing.  I've not been remotely tempted to order it.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008, 08:32:50 AM »

If I had to guess, I think CBS will bring back this summer's FLASHPOINT in the new year (they had already ordered 13 more episodes) and either put it on Fridays at 9 or put it on Thursday at 10 and try THE ELEVENTH HOUR at 9 on Friday.

I still think the cancellation of MOONLIGHT was a major misstep in the programming department. That show had SUCH potential to grow from the interesting, involving premise they started with.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2008, 08:34:18 AM »

Congratulations to DR JMK on his 5000 posts.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2008, 08:36:10 AM »

And now I guess I need to head downstairs to check the mail and then get started on fixing some lunch.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2008, 08:37:03 AM »

In yesterday's UPS shipment, some fab items I couldn't resist:

Soundtrack to "Elizabeth: The Golden Age".  I saw this film on HBO this past Saturday.  I had been "warned off" purchasing it on HDTV as being something that might prove disappointing.  I have to say, though, I was entertained, but not mesmerized, by it.  The music, though -- now THERE is something wonderful.  Cate Blanchett is glorious, the production is lavish, the photography is spectacular, and then there's that fantastic music.  Everything was so right...except for the lack of depth in the screenplay.

Because my first memories of records were 78 rpms of Les Paul and Mary Ford, I purchased "Les Paul with Mary Ford: The Best of the Capitol Masters 90th Birthday Edition."

And, joy of joys, "The Little Rascals: The Complete Collection" -- all 80 Hal Roach shorts, remastered, restored and uncut.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2008, 08:52:59 AM »

A question for our esteemed BK:

Have you ever had a tarot reading done for you?

If so, was there anything you could tell us about the result?

You know, I don't think I have - I've had my palm read, but that's about it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2008, 08:54:34 AM »

ASK BK

IF you were to record one more edition of Lost in Boston & Unsung Musicals what would be some of the songs you would chose for each recording?

There are lots of songs left for both, I suppose, but I'd sort of found what I liked.  There would be enough to make another volume, but I guess I'd concentrate on stuff from the last twenty or thirty years this time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2008, 08:55:17 AM »

Another Question

What song is the closest to your personal motto/outlook on life?

Pick Yourself Up - the theme used on our radio show.  You remember our radio show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2008, 08:56:15 AM »

My first question for ASK BK day....do you really expect to ENJOY Happy Days The Musical?

Probably not, but I'm going in with an open mind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2008, 08:59:01 AM »

I suppose I'm up after one very disturbing dream.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2008, 09:08:33 AM »

I suppose I'm up after one very disturbing dream.

Was DR der Brucer in it?              ;D

Laura

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2008, 09:13:11 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers. I have finished my morning hike and fed the fish.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2008, 09:15:03 AM »

FEEL BETTER, DR JANE!!!!!

Thanks, so far I’m feeling better this morning.  I have decided I’m still not up to reading the food posts, though the WW English Toffee bar sounds good, for another day.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2008, 09:15:45 AM »

Pea soup.

That's what the fog is as thick as right now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2008, 09:16:20 AM »

FEEL BETTER, DR JANE!!!!!

Thanks, so far I’m feeling better this morning.  I have decided I’m still not up to reading the food posts, though the WW English Toffee bar sounds good, for another day.

Awwww....not ready for salmon mousse in aspic?

Jane

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2008, 09:20:08 AM »

DR Vixmom I like the little bags of pretzels. 

Thank you for the good wishes.

I’m glad you have been to Mesa Verde & Sedona.  Did you climb the cliff dwellings?

Jane

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2008, 09:23:36 AM »

DR td, I’m glad you are finally beginning to feel better.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BEAUTIFUL MISS DIXIE BELL!

Laura

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2008, 09:24:30 AM »

And of course, Happy Birthday wishes to the lovely Miss Dixie Bell!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2008, 09:25:41 AM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And I guess I really needed a good night's sleep after being a "parent" yesterday.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up