Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED  (Read 20083 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 08:31:28 AM »

TOD
I think I would love to been at Psycho to see the very first audience's reaction to the film.

Sidenote: I did attend the World Premiere showing of Kramer vs Kramer but no one associated with the film attended.

I was there on opening day - it didn't really have a Premiere in the old sense - but the audience reaction was incredible.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 08:31:43 AM »

I wake up, I post, and voila - page two.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2008, 08:39:51 AM »

I watched HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY last night.

There's a pretty good movie hiding in there under all of the overblown cgi effects.
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2008, 08:44:09 AM »

The A STAR IS BORN (1954) premiere looks like it would have been a star-studded affair, and I'd have gotten to see the complete 180 minute version of the movie instead of what we have now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2008, 08:44:24 AM »

TOD
I think I would love to been at Psycho to see the very first audience's reaction to the film.

Sidenote: I did attend the World Premiere showing of Kramer vs Kramer but no one associated with the film attended.

I was there on opening day - it didn't really have a Premiere in the old sense - but the audience reaction was incredible.

I saw PSYCHO on opening weekend in Seattle...at the Paramount Theater.

I still have the marks on my arm from when my frightened date dug her fingernails in.

:)

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2008, 08:45:18 AM »

I guess I'll head down now to get lunch started and the mail checked.

WBBL.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 08:46:43 AM »

Only twice in my life have I ever jumped straight up out of my seat while watching a movie: the scene on the stairs in PSYCHO and "that" moment in WAIT UNTIL DARK.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2008, 08:47:05 AM »

And now I'm REALLY going!

;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2008, 08:50:50 AM »

Only twice in my life have I ever jumped straight up out of my seat while watching a movie: the scene on the stairs in PSYCHO and "that" moment in WAIT UNTIL DARK.

Bingo! Me, too.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »

And the word of the day is: BAXTER!
Genevieve Castagnet was not a BAXTER, but was instead Aimable Castagnet, the baker's, wife.

(Reffing the works of Stephen Schwartz again)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 09:07:53 AM »

I just found a recipe for a baked calf's head.  OY!  No wonder I don't cook!!!
I'd think a calf's head would be much easier to prepare in a pressure cooker.

Not that I'm going to try that first.  Country ribs, perhaps, but not a calf's head.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 09:16:21 AM »

I cannot think of any film that would have been better on opening night, as opposed to later in the run.  In fact, since I've a touch of clautrophobia myself (no one is alone, esteemed BK), seeing a film later in the run would be more comfortable for me.  And having the creators of a film watching me watch their creation, and knowing they were watching me watch their creation, would prove a terrible distraction.

Der B and I had something similar happen to us at a Red Lobster restaurant, when a group of executives from the company sat at the table next to ours.  Our server was, understandably, nervous, which threw her work off balance, which was unnecessarily unpleasant.  And having someone stare as I lifted my fork to my mouth was quite frankly disgusting.  Not just bleh, but double bleh.  Critics and others who opinions matter should be invisible, in my opinion.

(S. Woody quietly readjusts his cloaking device and steps off of his soapbox.)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 09:25:37 AM »

Good morning all.  Well, our carpet is drying out, and the section of pad will be replaced tonight.  But the fun never ends when you own a house.  Somehow last night when Jed was pulling up the carpet to get to the wet pad. he did something to the furnace, and we now have no heat in here.  It's about 62 degrees, which could be worse, I suppose.  I have an extra shirt on Toby, and I've cuddled him in my lap wrapped in blanket so he'll stay warm.  When he's done nursing, I'll go stick my head over there and pretend I have the faintest idea how to fix a heater.

*sigh*

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2008, 09:25:49 AM »

re: GHOST WHISPERER

and to answer my own question

SPOILERS

fjafudofpauopauf saf jfoipdsaufoipdsa ufopsaufopdsauoipdsauoipdsauofpsauop
I just did a little searching, and according to everything i've just read, it seems like david conrad is not leaving the show and will stick around. That is great news to me. Because i found it devastating enough (what happened last night). But if was gone from the show i would be really mad.
afupdoafudoisapuf dosau7f98dsa7fdsa987fd98sa7f09sa7f 97fsa9s7f9sa79797
faydfdsa uidsayf9sa7fsa7f98d7sa9f7dsaf98d7sa9f sa7f987sa9f7fusadfudsauo

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2008, 09:27:18 AM »

I actually did go to a premiere of sorts--the west coast premiere of PATTON at some huge theater in Seattle I can't remember (the Paramount, perhaps?).   We were living in Seattle at the time and my father was of course a General who had served under Patton and was at that time Senior Officer at Ft. Lewis and Commanding Officer at Ft. Lawton, so he got the VIP treatment and brought me along for the ride.  There were interviews on the red carpet, a lot of hoo-hah inside, I remember we spoke with Gov. Evans and Senator Jackson (IIRC), both of whom had known my father forever, and I got a bunch of autographs which of course I probably threw away at some point.  There was even an organ prelude, with the organist coming out of the pit on a hydraulic riser!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2008, 09:27:51 AM »

re: GHOST WHISPERER SPOILERS

On the subject of GHOST WHISPERER, in reading between the lines of that TV GUIDE interview, I got the impression that he would be around as a ghost for a few episodes, maybe up to midseason and then be gone. But that's completely MY interpretation. I don't think he could contractually say anything specific. I'd love to see him as a "permanent" fixture on the program as a guiding hand for Melinda; might pump new life into the show and give him interesting things to do as an actor, but I'm not counting on that.

fdajdsfopu saofpudsafpopdsafu98dsafu7 safidsafuopdsaufoudsaofpudsaopfd uopdsaf
I have a feeling you may have gotten the wrong impression. Him saying  he was frustrated at having little to do could be thought as him wanting to leave. But i take it as him liking the new role he might be playing (and that he will stick around). I'm pretty sure he's staying at least through this season.
fdsaf87dsa0f7 0saf798dsa7fsaf98d7sa98fdsafjdsafdlsajf safalsfjd ljljl;jkl;j kl;j ljlj lk
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 09:29:30 AM by Jennifer »

JMK

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2008, 09:28:51 AM »

Good morning all.  Well, our carpet is drying out, and the section of pad will be replaced tonight.  But the fun never ends when you own a house.  Somehow last night when Jed was pulling up the carpet to get to the wet pad. he did something to the furnace, and we now have no heat in here.  It's about 62 degrees, which could be worse, I suppose.  I have an extra shirt on Toby, and I've cuddled him in my lap wrapped in blanket so he'll stay warm.  When he's done nursing, I'll go stick my head over there and pretend I have the faintest idea how to fix a heater.

*sigh*

Ann, if it's a gas furnace it could be something as easy as relighting the pilot (if it's the older kind without a constant pilot light).  If so, there will be a little door at the bottom and you should have a long metal match holder to stick in to light it whilst you press the little pilot button.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2008, 09:29:33 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, our garage roof has sprung a teeny tiny leak that is driving me nuts.  I have "blackjacked" several places on the roof now and the leak just moves a little bit each time. 

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2008, 09:34:21 AM »

Yesterday, Der Brucer wrote:

Sorry, my idea of a DVR (Dear Vivacious Reader) is shorter and blond.

der Brucer

If a box arrives from Amazon, and it contains a whole lot of Bollywood DVDs, this will explain everything.

::)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2008, 09:38:14 AM »

I actually did go to a premiere of sorts--the west coast premiere of PATTON at some huge theater in Seattle I can't remember (the Paramount, perhaps?).   We were living in Seattle at the time and my father was of course a General who had served under Patton and was at that time Senior Officer at Ft. Lewis and Commanding Officer at Ft. Lawton, so he got the VIP treatment and brought me along for the ride.  There were interviews on the red carpet, a lot of hoo-hah inside, I remember we spoke with Gov. Evans and Senator Jackson (IIRC), both of whom had known my father forever, and I got a bunch of autographs which of course I probably threw away at some point.  There was even an organ prelude, with the organist coming out of the pit on a hydraulic riser!

I had forgotten, but I actually went to the New York premiere of APOCALYPSE NOW at the Zeigfeld in 1979. It was a zoo, and i hated both the madness and the movie.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2008, 09:39:19 AM »

BK, I will have to take your word on THREE SEATS FOR THE 26TH.  I didn't find Yves Montand charming in any film I have ever seen him.  In fact, I would have to say that I find him annoying.  But, that's horse racing!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2008, 09:45:12 AM »

I'm usually cool to the charms of Mr. Montand, too - but he's quite charming in this film - maybe it's his age. 

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2008, 09:45:17 AM »

Dear Jose:

Re: Thomas Keller's Under Pressure

Even with the usual 40% discount for best sellers over at Jessica's Biscuit, I'm going to take a pass on this one.  Consider the following:

In Under Pressure, Thomas Keller shows us how sous vide, which involves packing food in airtight plastic bags and cooking at low heat, achieves results that other cooking methods simply cannot--in flavor and precision. For example, steak that is a perfect medium rare from top to bottom; and meltingly tender yet medium rare short ribs that haven't lost their flavor to the sauce.

I'm probably too much of a traditionalist for Keller, but I enjoy the changes in flavor that pan-searing creates, the contrast of the char on the outside with the heated (but to the correct doneness) meat on the inside.  I have enough Keller on my bookshelves with the French Laundry Cookbook and Bouchon (both actually written by the verbally talented Michael Ruhlman) to last me for quite some time.  When the price of UP comes DOWN to a more reasonable price, then I may reconsider, but until then I've much better ways of spending my book allowance.

FJL

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2008, 09:59:22 AM »

Skip is, as I type, preparing steak sous vide, following some of the suggestions in Mr. Keller's book.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2008, 10:04:27 AM »

Speaking (writing) of Jessica's Biscuit...

I've been going over the spreadsheet I've been using as my wish-list/record of purchases.  So far, with 43 books purchased (spread over seven orders), we've spent $362.89, which at list price would have cost us $1012.64.  That's a savings of 64%.  (Technically, we've spent even less than that - they sent the wrong book once, but only charged us for the book we had ordered and not for the similarly titled but more expensive new release that arrived.  I just never put the price difference on the spreadsheet.)

If anyone out there loves cookbooks and books about food, or is planning on giving presents to someone else who loves such, I highly reccommend using the link above.  Their prices are better than Amazon's, even!

(Dang, $363 seems like a lot, even spread over a year and a half.  I didn't realize that I read that much.   I hate to even think what our DVD collection is worth! :o)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2008, 10:06:31 AM »

I'm imagining Skip in your kitchen with a roll of Saran Wrap...

Dang, I've got a kinky imagination!  Stop that!   

;D

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2008, 10:06:32 AM »

Ann - Our furnance has a "butterfly valve" that occasionally gets stuck in the closed position. When that happens the furnace shuts down to protect you from carbon monoxide  buildup.

This generally happens when it has been exceeding damp---  I would suggest Jed look for sucha valve - it has taken Vixdad onlya few momwnt to restart the furnace when this happens - (since he learned the trick! - we went through several epsiodes of freezing cold nights before a new furnance man showed him where the valve was ) 
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2008, 10:07:20 AM »

Skip is, as I type, preparing steak sous vide, following some of the suggestions in Mr. Keller's book.

what time should I be there?   ;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2008, 10:08:45 AM »

I've always been a big "jumper".

In fact, in our TV room, there's an indentation in the ceiling above the place where I usually sit.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2008, 10:09:17 AM »

Warm and cozy vibes for DR Ann and DPreR Toby

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up