Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: NOT A CREATURE WAS STIRRING, NOT EVEN A MOUSE  (Read 38797 times)

Cillaliz

Re: NOT A CREATURE WAS STIRRING, NOT EVEN A MOUSE
« Reply #180 on: December 23, 2008, 03:44:04 PM »

But now I need to get ready to head into midtown to run some errands, as well as attend today's taping of "The Late Show with David Letterman". -Mickey Rourke is the main guest, so it should be a pretty good and interesting show.

Laters...

I'll watch for you tonight!

Cillaliz

« Reply #181 on: December 23, 2008, 03:47:26 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO WFO, BRYAN and CRAIG B!!!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2008, 03:48:32 PM »

DP has discovered Facebook - I'll never see him again.  At least I can chat with him when he's on, even if he is sitting next to me!

singdaw

« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2008, 03:50:56 PM »

Dino's pizza.

I'm so confused.  Dino is a pizza chef?  I thought Dino was a piano player...             

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2008, 03:52:44 PM »

Back from eating yummilicous Dino's pizza.  So good.  Will now begin addressing packages.

He plays piano AND makes pizza?  I give up.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2008, 03:53:01 PM »

Dino's pizza.

I'm so confused.  Dino is a pizza chef?  I thought Dino was a piano player...             

Stop that
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Cillaliz

« Reply #186 on: December 23, 2008, 03:54:11 PM »

My first client this morning seemed fine and we did our business and then she said something about the accident last night.  I asked what happened.  Turns out she went off the road in the afternoon and rolled her car.  She was ok, and left her car there.  Late last night she and her husband went to get some things out of the car and heard a woman screaming.  They looked and a truck had gone off the road and was in the Big Sioux River.  One man was in the trees and another was still in the truck. They were the first on the scene and said that you couldn't see the truck from the road.  Not sure how much time had passed but they called the police and got help.  The woman in the accident is in critical condition.

Here's the story from the news http://www.ktiv.com/global/story.asp?s=9570188

Two dead, one seriously injured in Interstate 29 accident

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 08:07 AM CST

SIOUX CITY, Iowa (KTIV) - Two people are dead, another is in critical condition after a pick up careens off Interstate-29 in Sioux City and into the Big Sioux River.

But how authorities discovered that accident is through an incredible chain of events.

Police say a female driver lost control of her car yesterday afternoon between the Hamilton and Riverside Exits and went back about one this morning to retrieve items from her car still down on the riverfront trail.

That's when she heard cries for help.

This pick-up truck had apparently also gone in the ditch sometime overnight and was partially emerged in the Big Sioux River.

The two men that were killed was the driver, 47-year-old Jimmy Warren of McCook Lake, South Dakota and passenger 49-year-old Kip Jarman of Sioux City, Iowa.

A female victim in the truck, 30-year-old Janel Sherill of Sioux City, is listed in critical condition at Mercy Medical Center after suffering from "exposure."

I-29 was shut down for several hours while crews cleaned up the crash site.

We'll have more on this, coming up tonight at six.

Laura

« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2008, 03:59:08 PM »

Wow.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Cillaliz

« Reply #188 on: December 23, 2008, 04:08:38 PM »

They were told if they hadn't gone back to look in the car, the woman would almost certainly died as well.   So, it's pretty miraculous for her that they decided to clean out their car at 1:00 AM

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2008, 04:12:04 PM »

My evening plans have fallen apart since the area's under a sleet and ice situation. My friend Loyce and I were going out to dinner and our original plan was to meet her at her place at 6:30. Since i didn't have her cell phone number, i left her several messages on her cell phone suggesting we wait and see how horrible it wasfor her to get home from work. She just called me and left a message on my phone telling me she can't get her car up the hill to make the last blocks home. We still have a party on Sunday so i wil see her before I go back to the City.

I guess it's back to BABES IN TOYLAND!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #190 on: December 23, 2008, 04:12:29 PM »

Wow!  Hero Time!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »

Icy roads here, expected to clear by morning.

I almost bought the NIP/TUCK season three today for only 14.95......maybe I will go back to get it tomorrow......

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2008, 04:14:17 PM »

Most of our grocery stores have had self-checkout lanes for several years.  But this is new:

The "Scan-IT" system.  As you enter the store, you scan your discount card at a little kiosk and pick up a small hand-held scanner and some bags.  As you shop, you scan each item as you put it into your bags.  Then, at the checkout, you scan your card again, return the scanner, and pay - your order is already totaled. 

Interesting, and if everyone adapts to it, a real time-saver at the checkout line!!!
Upper management has foisted this on our store.  It's not as great an idea as it seems.

It actually takes longer for the customer to locate the bar code on the item being purchased, scan them one at a time, bag them, and then proceed to where the next item they want to purchase is located in the store, as opposed to having a cashier do most of this work.  This is a simple case of efficiency in performing a task - the cashier is capable of scanning the items quickly, because it's what they do as a job.  At our store, we also do the bagging for the customer, something we can do very quickly because we are both practiced at the job, and because the bags are held up on a frame, rather than loose and unsupported in the cart.  These uninteresting things are what we do for a living.  The customer should only have to do the fun part - the shopping.

There is a team representing the firm that has made the hand scanners, trying to entice customers to using these new "easy" devices.  Most of our customers are point blank uninterested.  Many who have used the scanners have said that it makes shopping harder, instead of easier, and will not be using the scanners again.

Besides, what would you rather hear when you pay: "Have a pleasant day!" or *beep*?  Interacting with a real, live person has it's advantages.

That having been said, there is one part of the process that I approve of - we now have computerized scales in the produce department, where the customer can place the bagged produce on the scale, enter on the computer touchscreen what the item is, get a report on the screen as to what the price of the item is, press a button which tells the computer to print out a label with a bar code on it, and the bar code can then be scanned easily at the register (or with the hand scanner).  The advantage of this is that the customer knows how much the produce will cost as they are accumulating their purchases.

Other than that, the system is crap, something that makes shopping harder for the customer.

Not to mention the fifteen-foot stretch at the front door that is now being taken up by the hand scanner display, space that was formerly used by the grocery and general merchandise managers for special displays of seasonal goods.  Talk about a negative impact on sales!  Sheesh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #193 on: December 23, 2008, 04:17:28 PM »

I like to watch a human scan my groceries....and talk a bit now and then.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #194 on: December 23, 2008, 04:25:27 PM »

Oh, before I forget...

As a cashier, I am very aware of how much one of our bags will hold, both in terms of volume and in terms of weight.  I know when it is a better idea to double-bag, such as when faced with a frozen turkey.  I know when to quit piling things into the bag, because the bag will not be strong enough to hold more.  And I know how to put items in a bag, with heavy items towards the bottom, and lighter items towards the top.  I know how to plan ahead, and put cold items together.  I know that cans work well together in a bag, and that boxed items bag well together, while a combination of the two is usually not such a good idea.

What are the odds that a customer is going to do as good a job of bagging their groceries as I can do it for them?

And dang, I'm fast!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #195 on: December 23, 2008, 04:26:25 PM »

DR SWW I shop at Aldi's and I have learned all of these things as well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #196 on: December 23, 2008, 04:26:59 PM »

I am getting a room ready for my sister and her husband to come and stay on Christmas Day.  He has decided he wants to deep fry a turkey.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2008, 04:35:06 PM »

I am getting a room ready for my sister and her husband to come and stay on Christmas Day.  He has decided he wants to deep fry a turkey.

I'm thinking it would be better to deep fry the turkey outside rather than in the room you are preparing.  Just sayin'...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2008, 04:38:13 PM »

DR MATTHEW I am thinking they will need the room to stay in when their house burns down.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2008, 04:39:06 PM »

I like to watch a human scan my groceries....and talk a bit now and then.

Absolutely!  That's another part of the job, interacting with the customers!

These days, unless the customer is dealing with a specialty item (something from the deli, the bakery, or seafood), the odds are that the only person they actually talk with in the store is the cashier!  It's their chance to vent, to ask questions, to say how happy they are, or aren't.  There isn't one of us working the registers that doesn't have a store of repartee, ready to make that human connection with a customer.

Have a reusable bag from another store, especially from someplace miles away?  Hey, that's an interesting bag!  How's the shopping there?  (Or, with the bags from one chain, "Where's your favorite Trader Joe's?"  Yep, I really ask that!)  And it's five cents back for every bag used!  ("It used to be three cents, but we've had inflation.")

And I always make sure the customer gets their bonus card savings.  Forgot your card?  Let's work with a phone number instead.  "Oh, we don't have a card."  That's OK, our system is geared so it'll work with any phone number.  "We're from out of state."  No, really, any phone number.  We get so many customers who are here visiting that we found this is the easiest way to share our sales.  "Well, thank-you!"

We cashiers are here to help the customer, to make them feel better about their shopping experience.

Sure, there's the occasional lemon of a customer who can spoil part of the day.  But they're soon gone.  And most of the time, it's the good times that rule the day.

Dang, I like my job!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #200 on: December 23, 2008, 04:39:29 PM »

The print of WHITE CHRISTMAS on the ABC Family HD Channel looks much better than my DVD.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #201 on: December 23, 2008, 04:47:29 PM »

DR Jennifer - according to the brochure I picked up, the scanner has a "remove" option.

It looks like it's pretty much the honor system...bolstered by "random audits," where they come and re-scan all of your purchases at check-out.  I presume if you don't pass the audit, your SCAN-ITTM privileges are put in jeopardy.

Out of curiosity, DR Whingdaw, are you shopping at a Stop and Shop?  Or at a Giant Supermarket?

We've got the same brochure.

How do you like our goldenrod shirts?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2008, 04:53:57 PM »

If they re-scan all your stuff doesn't that make the quicker aspect pointless. :)

We only re-scan if the random audit kicks in.  I've yet to perform a random audit.

The vast majority of customers are amazingly honest.  It's only a rare few that are trying to steal.

From what I've heard, a customer can refuse an audit.  But if they do, their bonus card will not activate the Scan-It handscanner the next time.

Laura

« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2008, 04:56:11 PM »

DR SWoody, I thought of you the other day while at the grocery check-out. Not because of the wonderful service, but because I knew you'd be appalled at the way the cashier and the bagger were kvetching about their jobs in front of the customers.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2008, 04:57:14 PM »

Yes, DR MATTH - I remember when Miss America was an EVENT that everyone looked forward to and watched....did it happen in September?  I seem to remember it was around the start of the school year.

Yes, September. It was always the unofficial start of the new TV season. The World Series, the Miss America Pageant, and the Academy Awards were always the most watched annual events on TV. (The Super Bowl hadn't been "invented" yet when I was young.)

Back when you we were young, a Super Bowl would have involved ten pins at the end of a long wooden lane.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #205 on: December 23, 2008, 05:06:36 PM »

Word to the wise:  shovelling a long driveway for the first time in 30+ years can lead to severe back pain.  Oy.
This is why you have children.  THEY are supposed to do the shovelling!

singdaw

« Reply #206 on: December 23, 2008, 05:07:27 PM »

Out of curiosity, DR Whingdaw, are you shopping at a Stop and Shop? 

Yes.  And I like the new shirt color scheme very much!   :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #207 on: December 23, 2008, 05:14:22 PM »

I am watching CIMARRON discussed here recently by MR BK and DR DRUXY.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #208 on: December 23, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »

Good Evening!

I had a WONDERFUL time at "The Late Show with David Letterman"!!  David Letterman was in good form, Mickey Rourke was a good guest, Jay Thomas knocked the meatball off the top of the Christmas Tree with a football, and Darlene Love ROCKED the house!!!!  -Truly put me in the Christmas Spirit!!!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #209 on: December 23, 2008, 05:20:34 PM »

I'm having a fudge emergency.

So I gather all my stuff to take to my niece's to make 2 kinds of fudge (she got bored after the first one). I think the maple one will be fine (it's hardening in the fridge).

But my white chocolate one is a disaster.

It won't harden. I just put in the freezer to see if that will help.

I wish i had more experience with fudge to know what to do.

I accidently did something wrong with one of the ingredients. It said to make 7 oz of marshmellow cream to put part of bag of marshmellows and 1/4 cup of milk. It made a really nice cream. But then i think i was supposed to measure 7 oz. Or i think that is what i should have done (although it did say to make 7 oz of marxhmellow cream do X). So i started pouring most of it in my fudge. ANd it was quite a few cups.

It's weird because the leftover "fudge" that i put in a bowl seemed to get much harder than the same stuff in the fridge.

Not sure what to do. :(

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up