Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: ITSY BITSY TEENY-WEENY YELLOW POLKA DOT BIKINI - IN G  (Read 35498 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: ITSY BITSY TEENY-WEENY YELLOW POLKA DOT BIKINI - IN G
« Reply #150 on: December 27, 2008, 01:11:17 PM »

I think for a number of reasons, MAD MEN was my favorite viewing last season.

I liked Project Runway, but MAD MEN has a well cast ensemble and some intriguing writing, besides being set in one of favorite time periods....the just barely remembered past of 1963.......

My favorite moment - one of many - was the episode when Don Draper bought a huge Cadillac.....yelled at his kids to keep the upholstery clean....took his wife to a big party where she had some drinks - and found out Don was having an affair with the wife of a Borscht Belt comic....

They argued on the way home....Don's deceit and life choices were finally too much for Betty - and she threw up....all over his new Cadillac.....

I believe one of the more memorable moments in that episode was the picnic that Don, Betty, and their two kids had. It looked so peaceful and idyllic, and then it was time to leave. Don rounded up the kids while Betty folded up the blanket and left a HUMONGOUS pile of litter on these beautiful picnic lawns. Ah, yes, years before Lady Bird Johnson's "Keep America Clean" campaign, but this was the reason it was inevitably needed.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #151 on: December 27, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »

Jose - If you actually have a copy of the score for Pal Joey somewhere in the apartment, does that mean you'd have the accompaniment for the whole song, or would it just mean you have a lead sheet for the whole show?

I have the whole kit and kaboodle.  Somewhere. ;)

Kit and Kaboodle

Music by Richard Rodgers   Lyrics by Lorenz Hart
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #152 on: December 27, 2008, 01:13:58 PM »

I began my afternoon watching another NCIS episode while I ate lunch. In this one, Tony is set up for the death of a woman with plenty of forensic evidence against him. I guessed the identity of the perp early on and had actually been waiting for several episodes for this person to do something evil.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2008, 01:18:45 PM »

HA!

This web series just got a write-up in the New York Times...

Web Therapy

It stars Lisa Kudrow as "professional" web therapist, Fiona Shaw. It's improvised for the most part, and very funny, albeit very dry humor.

*There's a long intro screen, and then it takes a few moments for the "display" to come up, but... Once you see see and/or search for "Web Therapy", just click on "Series" in the lower left-hand corner of the "box", and then it will scroll to the series' episodes.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 01:41:26 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2008, 01:18:47 PM »

Next, I watched the new Ccentennial Edition of FUNNY FACE. Gorgeous from start to finish, and though I haven't done an A/B comparison yet (I was eager to get to the bonus stuff), I will do it tonight, but I suspect it is the same encode. Not a speck of dust or dirt anywhere and just one instance where the encode had trouble with the image (some flickering bloom in the whites of Audrey's wedding dress during the last moments of "He Loves and She Loves.")

The segment in Flostre's sitting room when Fred and Kay break in on Audrey and Emile was so astonishingly rich and sharp that it absolutely looked high definition. This is one film that will look stunning if Paramount would release it on Blu-ray.

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2008, 01:20:24 PM »

There are three new bonus features on the disc. The first is a half hour mini-bio of Kay Thompson, much needed since so many people don't know anything about her except she was in FUNNY FACE. Nice to see clips of some other film appearances she made. Ruta Lee, Mart Crowley, Liza, and others comment on her.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #156 on: December 27, 2008, 01:21:48 PM »

There is also some other interesting programming on http://Lstudio.Lexus.com/
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: December 27, 2008, 01:22:17 PM »

Next was a half hour on VistaVision. Not much new info here that I didn't already know about it, but good to see some stunning clips from VV films, especially WAR & PEACE and TO CATCH A THIEF, both of which will make stunning high def releases some day.

And no, no Dr. Drew Casper nor DR Ron Pulliam's favorite Richard Barrios doing any commenting.

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: December 27, 2008, 01:24:20 PM »

The third new bonus feature was the least interesting, a comparison with fashion model photography today as compared to the photography as shown in FUNNY FACE. It was a movie, for goodness sakes, not real-life, so of course the fashion photo shoots were composed for movies, not for a real-world situation. Argh!

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: December 27, 2008, 01:25:09 PM »

The other featurettes were on the last FUNNY FACE DVD including the one I'll be rewatching next, a mini-history of the Hepburn-Givenchy partnership.

Matt H.

« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2008, 01:26:07 PM »

Tonight, I'll likely look at a VistaVision film. I'm thinking THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY. We'll see.

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2008, 01:41:43 PM »

Not much going on with the internet, so I'll hop off-line and do a little more writing before I head back down to finish up with FUNNY FACE and then do some fun viewing.

WBBL.

MBarnum

« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »

BK, I hope you get your new OM SHANTI OM dvd soon...I am curious as to what you will think of it.

JRand, I think maybe the movie that I sent to you was KOYA KOYA CHAND...it was also about the film industry, but in the 1950s...while OM SHANTI OM takes place in the 1970s and then later on in the today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2008, 02:07:59 PM »

HA!

This web series just got a write-up in the New York Times...

Web Therapy

It stars Lisa Kudrow as "professional" web therapist, Fiona Shaw. It's improvised for the most part, and very funny, albeit very dry humor.

*There's a long intro screen, and then it takes a few moments for the "display" to come up, but... Once you see see and/or search for "Web Therapy", just click on "Series" in the lower left-hand corner of the "box", and then it will scroll to the series' episodes.

Oh, and here's the article from The New York Times: Some Doctors' Orders Deserve to Be Ignored

And here's the direct link to "Psycho Analysis" - the episodes featuring Jane Lynch.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #164 on: December 27, 2008, 02:10:18 PM »

and

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: December 27, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »

OK... Suppertime!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #166 on: December 27, 2008, 02:14:50 PM »

and now time for me to watch a Bollywood movie. BHOOL BHULAIYAA (2008) which is another of this years top Indian films. It is comedy thriller about a supposedly haunted manor.

A half hour into it and it is pretty fun so far!

Stars Shiney Ahuja, Akshay Kumar, Vidya Balan, and Amisha Patel.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #167 on: December 27, 2008, 02:35:55 PM »

[I don't even want to get started on that subject.  It is so wrong on so many levels.  We're not talking about a Red Rider B B gun with a compass on the stock and this thing that tells time that will shoot your eye out.   

No we're talking about a "tool" tradtionally used by American males since the Pilgrims landed - those Thanksgiving Turkeys didn't just jump in the baking pan. Would you be happier if he was given a stun bolt to kill steers, or a good knife with which to slit pig throats?  A BB gun is actually more dangerous becasue it's a toy with which to play; a shot gun is a dangerous weapon and gets the respect it's due.

der Brucer

I think it's hard for some people who live in big cities to realize that so many people go hunting.  I know for me it's something that is very foreign.

I know exactly what you mean.  I never knew this section of the country was as "hunting crazy" as it now is.  I've known my cousin Debra and her immediate family were hunters, but you should just SEE the men who run around in "cammie" hunting attire.  Great big old guts, ball caps, some "chaw" in their mouths at all times...and hanging 'round gas stations and drug stores.

Half of them, I 'spect, don't hunt a thing, but they like to fit in.

And lord have mercy...I have some sore eyes from some of the sights I've seen this time around!  I'm apt to have some UGly dreams.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 02:39:37 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #168 on: December 27, 2008, 03:08:40 PM »

Well, Dixie is now a family member:

I should point out that Dixie is the dog.

Uh, Dixie is the one with brown hair.

Uh, der B's daughter is the one with the blue coat...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: December 27, 2008, 03:13:04 PM »

I went out only briefly to pick up mail.  I had two small packages - someone sent me 9 to 5, the soundtrack CD by Charles Fox - I'm listening to it now.  Fun.  And I got a couple import DVDs - Preminger's Rosebud, which I've never seen, and 1984, the version from the 50s with Edmond O'Brien.

Ginny

« Reply #170 on: December 27, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »

DH Richard and I are going to start watching Cranford now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2008, 03:24:02 PM »

I'm at work (I haven't been here since last Friday!) and waiting for me was a DVD that I had ordered from Amazon.co.uk for my niece.  She's very happy that it finally arrived. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: December 27, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »

I gotta tell you.

George

« Reply #173 on: December 27, 2008, 03:28:23 PM »

About an hour ago, a BIG chunk of snow slid off the roof and landed right outside my office window! :o Fortunately, there's an overhang and the ground outside is several feet below the floor level of where I am.  But man, it was loud!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #174 on: December 27, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »

CONTINUED COMFORT VIBES FOR DF STAN

CONTINUED COMFORT VIBES FOR DR TCB

CONTINUED VIBES FOR DR VIXMOM

CONTINUED VIBES FOR DR DANISE

CONTINUED COMFORT VIBES FOR DS OF DR JANE

~~~Ditto Vibes from Me!!~~~

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #175 on: December 27, 2008, 03:44:07 PM »

Here is my Dumb Question of the Day:

My brother gave me a flash drive card that works in my camera.  When I turn it on, it still shows that I only have space for 14 photos.

Do I have to do something so that my camera KNOWS it has more space?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #176 on: December 27, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »

About an hour ago, a BIG chunk of snow slid off the roof and landed right outside my office window! :o Fortunately, there's an overhang and the ground outside is several feet below the floor level of where I am.  But man, it was loud!

;D

George

« Reply #177 on: December 27, 2008, 03:55:49 PM »

Topic of the Day:

The Top 10 Reality Shows That I Watch:
America's Got Talent
The Apprentice
(these are the only "reality" shows that I watch)

Otherwise, the Top 10 12 Regular Series That I Watch (in alphabetical order):

Battlestar Galactica
Brothers & Sisters
Chuck
Desperate Housewives
Eli Stone
Ghost Whisperer
Heroes
Lost
Mad Men
Pushing Daisies
Reno 911
Ugly Betty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #178 on: December 27, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »

DR Jennifer I did know a couple of hunters when we lived in L.A.  Most the hunters I have known were in the more rural areas we have lived in, here & in Pennsylvania.  I have known hunters who do it just for sport, others who have explained the economics of it & use everything they kill.

When we lived in Pennsylvania, before the area was developed, we lived next to a corn field.  During hunting season it was frustrating we couldn’t go into the woods & fields around us.  Keith used to go into the corn field and destroy the hunter’s blinds.  Many of our neighbors hunted & they all said they went farther into the country & were also upset hunters came into our neighborhood. 

I suppose with everything there are responsible hunters & dangerous ones.  Fortunately most of the ones I know personally are responsible, still when I hike during hunting season I wear bright colored tops & am careful where I go.

Tomovoz

« Reply #179 on: December 27, 2008, 04:07:42 PM »

Prayers in appropriate places.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up