Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: GIBBERISH  (Read 40854 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: GIBBERISH
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2009, 08:25:29 AM »

What strikes me at every "awards" show is that folks can dress themselves up, deck themselves out and even "look" every inch a goddess/god, but when they open their mouths to talk it becomes painfully obvious how much they rely upon screenwriters to weave their magic.

There was a time when every actor's training included speaking extemporaneously...and speaking with style.

Listening last night to many of the presenters (and they were a GHASTLY lot) and awardees, it was clear that even if you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (except in the case of Mickey Rourke), the purse will still go "oink".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2009, 08:26:07 AM »

I have the Criterion ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS and WRITTEN ON THE WIND, so I may have to get the MAGNFICENT OBSESSION as well......

I am really expecting it to look magnificent. I hope I'm not overexpecting.

My fingers are crossed.....I love Agnes Moorehead in OBSESSION and Rock was SO handsome....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2009, 08:26:17 AM »

Page 4 "Who Cares About those Stinkin' Golden Globes" Dance
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2009, 08:27:57 AM »

Kate Winslet has had heaps of praise during her career and has been oft-nominated for Golden Globes, SAGs, and Oscars, but she's never won any of them. Her first wins against major competition I think is what floored her. I find it completely understandable. After years of showing up (and sometimes being the favorite as in SENSE AND SENSIBILITY), and to go home empty handed, it shocking to finally hear your name called.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2009, 08:28:29 AM »

Wow!  Those Twister Mat dresses rock!  And the dance was pretty cool.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2009, 08:28:51 AM »

I have not yet read the posts on the Golden Globes. But my 2 favorite moments last night were:

1. Tina Fey's speech. So funny. I wish more speeches could be funny.

2. Kate Winslet the 2nd time. So gracious. So elegant. What a fantastic speaker even when nervous and flustered. Loved it.

Um, I have to disagree with #2, DR Jennifer.  I would have expected so much more eloquence from someone like Winslet.  And I really don't understand all the emotion involved.  For one thing, she is a critics' darling who should be used to heaps of praise she's received over the years of her career and for another--it's just the Golden Globe. 

I adore Kate Winslet and I don't begrudge her double win at all, but I think she's too much of a veteran to fall apart over the Golden Globes.

I completely disagree.

Just because you have gotten praise for 2 roles does not mean that anyone would ever expect to win 2 times on the same night.

I thought she seemed stunned.  It seemed totally genuine to me.  I think it's nice to see someone surprised and with a little humility vs a totally prepared non-emotional speech.

I thoroughly agree with you, DR Jennifer.  There were some truly stinky acceptance speeches last night -- not to mention some truly awful "presenter banter" -- and Winslet stood out and above the rest of the pack.  So did Tina Fey.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2009, 08:29:13 AM »

I must head down now and get cleaned up for my later lunch outing.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2009, 08:29:18 AM »

DR DtM - wild clip there......of course the trouble with YOU TUBE is that one leads to another....I also watched Chita do a song from BRING BACK BIRDIE!

Not so surprised and stunned that she couldn't read the paper in her hand, DR JENNIFER.   The only people on TV that seem phonier to me than Winslet last night are the dumb bells on THE HILLS.

If you think the young girls of THE HILLS are bad, you have to watch BROMANCE.

Actually, you don't have to watch it--I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through that.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2009, 08:29:35 AM »

For those who watch, the Season 3 premiere of "KYLE XY" is on television tonight, at least in the U.S.

Yes, DR George would never forgive us if we forgeot to remind him.

In addition to the broadcast at 9 PM tonight, it will be rebroadacst late Wed night/Thur morn at 12.

And if George is lucky, he now gets ABCFAM in HD (our Comcast carries it).

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2009, 08:30:13 AM »

And then I had to watch the Hullaballoo dancers do their BATMAN routine.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2009, 08:30:35 AM »

Kate Winslet has had heaps of praise during her career and has been oft-nominated for Golden Globes, SAGs, and Oscars, but she's never won any of them. Her first wins against major competition I think is what floored her. I find it completely understandable. After years of showing up (and sometimes being the favorite as in SENSE AND SENSIBILITY), and to go home empty handed, it shocking to finally hear your name called.

And besides, so many folks walk off with a Golden Globe only to be passed over for an Oscar nomination (anyone remember Madonna winning for "Evita"?).  No guarantees that this wouldn't be "it" for a long time.  To have two films for which she received nominations AND recognition had to be a very overpowering thing for her last night.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2009, 08:31:41 AM »

I haven't watched BROMANCE yet....it seems kind of scary.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2009, 08:33:25 AM »

I remember one dream I used to have all the time in my younger years. I was asleep on the edge of the world and could feel myself slipping off and falling into space. Then I'd wake up. It wasn't like I was on the side of the bed about to fall off or anything. Never could figure that dream out or why I had it so often. I haven't had it for decades, but I remember I woke up dozens of times from that same nightmare.

At the risk of being indelicate...

Youngsters often have "almost falling" dreams as a result of a full bladder and a fear of bed-wetting - they work - you usually wake up in time.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2009, 08:42:44 AM »

Well just like that I am now in PRODUCERS mode.  Auditions are this Saturday, so I finally pulled the DVD off the shelf and watched it (not too impressed, I'm sorry to say), and have spent the morning reading through the score with the OCR so that I can start to map out what Keys II will handle.  Elmore, how much of this score is *really* Besterman?  Just the little stuff, like the recit on "We Can Do It," seems awfully harmonically complex, not that Mel isn't a certified compositional genius.  ;)

I must say it's fun doing a show this new--the books from MTI are SPOTLESS. ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2009, 08:44:26 AM »

I on the other hand will be in Tams Witmark hell ALL summer with Kiss Me Kate and Man of La Mancha.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2009, 08:44:36 AM »

Well just like that I am now in PRODUCERS mode.  Auditions are this Saturday, so I finally pulled the DVD off the shelf and watched it (not too impressed, I'm sorry to say), and have spent the morning reading through the score with the OCR so that I can start to map out what Keys II will handle.  Elmore, how much of this score is *really* Besterman?  Just the little stuff, like the recit on "We Can Do It," seems awfully harmonically complex, not that Mel isn't a certified compositional genius.  ;)

A good chunk of it is also the work of Larry Blank.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2009, 08:44:40 AM »

It's time for a break and my walk: I went to make the bed and found I'd already done that! Too much BABES IN TOYLAND angst already this morning. I think we're all under control now.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2009, 08:48:54 AM »

BABES IN ANGST.....coming this summer on E!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »

I got a nice copy of MR BK's SHAKESPEARE ON BROADWAY for about $10 including shpg.....

singdaw

« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2009, 08:50:38 AM »

--the books from MTI are SPOTLESS.

To offset the reputation of the MD, no doubt.    ;)

singdaw

« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2009, 08:51:14 AM »

This looks like what Mamie Eisenhower put out when Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip visited the White House in the mid 50's.

I thought it was a picture of DR MBarnum's most recent birthday cake.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2009, 08:52:46 AM »

Regular programming has come to a halt in the Indianapolis market.  Breaking news - earth shaking news....hold on to your hats:

Tony Dungy is leaving as Head Coach of The Colts....or as they are called by some in Indiana - The Indianapolis Coats......

Hopefully programming will return forthwith.....Coach Dungy is in the complex saying Goodbye to the players.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2009, 08:54:29 AM »

Starring Miss Judy Garland and Liza Minnelli?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2009, 08:55:36 AM »

I believe most of Act One is Doug and most of Act Two is by Larry Blank.

Most of the harmonization of the score, I would guess, is by Glen Kelly, who is a genius in my book.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 08:57:42 AM by elmore3003 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »

Starring Miss Judy Garland and Liza Minnelli?

No they are rehearsing my new play Born in a Funk.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2009, 08:59:43 AM »

DR JRand--have you checked out the clips from VILLAGE OF THE GIANTS yet?  I dimly recall seeing this movie and now I am compelled to see it again!

I think DR MBarnum might also appreciate it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2009, 09:00:58 AM »

Well, apparently, the "no spoilers" rule was not in effect for the GOLDEN GLOBES; either that, or it was too difficult to curb our East Coast members enthusiasm.  Fortunately, the Oscars are covered live, but I will be sure and stay away form HHW during all other awards shows.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2009, 09:01:31 AM »

Yes, DR DtM - I have this Bert I Gordon production on DVD, but saw it twice at the drive in theater!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2009, 09:03:48 AM »

uh oh.....Channel 8 Noon News....on the spot reporter says:  "Tony Dungy is saying goodbye to Football" - cut to footage of President Bush's news conference.

First day on the switching panel, I guess.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2009, 09:11:39 AM »

I had a dream - a wonderful dream, Hainsies - all about posts on a whole lotta pages
Talking of dreams in their various stages
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up