Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: OVER THE WEATHER  (Read 24543 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: OVER THE WEATHER
« Reply #240 on: January 19, 2009, 03:06:01 PM »

oven stroganoff

Slightly metallic; I prefer beef.      ;)

Iron is good for you and you've had worse things in your mouth.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #241 on: January 19, 2009, 03:08:01 PM »

Interesting audio DR DAW....wow!

"WHO do you think YOU ARE?!!!!!!"  Sounds like the audience was behind her all the way.....even after she had killed the horse and was still beating it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DAW

« Reply #242 on: January 19, 2009, 03:08:11 PM »

Will there be a run on I HAD A BALL?

Probably - if certain DRs have anything to say about it!    :)

DAW

« Reply #243 on: January 19, 2009, 03:08:56 PM »

"WHO do you think YOU ARE?!!!!!!"  Sounds like the audience was behind her all the way.....even after she had killed the horse and was still beating it.

But she did succeed in getting the clown evicted!!

Ironically, the person documenting this via audio was being just as egregious as the errant photographer!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:13:25 PM by DAW »

DAW

« Reply #244 on: January 19, 2009, 03:09:48 PM »

you've had worse things in your mouth.

:-X

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2009, 03:12:37 PM »

This day has had its frustrations: publisher problems and the fact that the answers now lie in a carton in Oxford OH, I'm feeling poorly today and I'm sure it's the pesticide, my inability to open the CastRecordingList archive, an incomplete pdf of that piece that annoyed me all weekend. I think I'll take my walk now, stop at the market on my return, have some chicken soup and salad, and go to bed and watch some of these waiting Netflix DVDs.

On the positive side, I love my new cedar trunk and I did accomplish two final edits on BABES IN TOYLAND and the proof of a Jerome Moross number from GENTLEMEN BE SEATED.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #246 on: January 19, 2009, 03:15:24 PM »

Ironically, the person documenting this via audio was being just as egregious as the errant photographer!!

Bingo!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #247 on: January 19, 2009, 03:19:08 PM »

Oy! the hypocrisy of it all!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #248 on: January 19, 2009, 03:19:41 PM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #249 on: January 19, 2009, 03:26:56 PM »

I am watching Island In the Sun with Ms Joan Fontaine Mr James Mason Mr Sidney Poitier Ms Dorothy Dandridge and Ms Patricia Owens.....and Mr Michael Rennie.

Them CinemaScope pictures shore was long and skinny.

Kerry

« Reply #250 on: January 19, 2009, 03:28:41 PM »

I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #251 on: January 19, 2009, 03:29:07 PM »

Kind of like a spoonful of sugar.
I like boat races.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #252 on: January 19, 2009, 03:30:09 PM »

I'm trying to find the episode of THE JUDY GARLAND SHOW in which she sang the Johnny Mercer song "Lorna" to her daughter. (I checked the Christmas show, on which Lorna appeared.) I think she pulled her up out of the audience, and mentioned what a great songwriter Johnny was. Ring any bells?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #253 on: January 19, 2009, 03:33:12 PM »

Let a smiley be your umbrelly, I always say.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #254 on: January 19, 2009, 03:41:26 PM »

I was able to find a fairly large list of recordings on ArkiveMusic by searching on "Broadway" but I guess "showtunes" would pull up even more.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #255 on: January 19, 2009, 03:42:51 PM »

I'm trying to find the episode of THE JUDY GARLAND SHOW in which she sang the Johnny Mercer song "Lorna" to her daughter. (I checked the Christmas show, on which Lorna appeared.) I think she pulled her up out of the audience, and mentioned what a great songwriter Johnny was. Ring any bells?

I think you're right.  DRMatt H has all of the Garland Shows, and he was able to guide me to a particular song once, so he might know.  But my memory is the same as yours for this.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:44:26 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #256 on: January 19, 2009, 03:46:29 PM »

DR Edi, have you searched through YouTube for the Garland clip?
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #257 on: January 19, 2009, 03:46:42 PM »

I have 'em all, too.   Hold on a sec...

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #258 on: January 19, 2009, 03:53:38 PM »

And when I saw them in the theatre, so was I.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DAW

« Reply #259 on: January 19, 2009, 03:53:42 PM »

DR Edi - It was show #20, "Judy Garland in Concert" - taped 1/24/64; aired 2/9/64.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #260 on: January 19, 2009, 03:54:13 PM »

I couldn't find "Lorna" on the song index for the collection I have, but it doesn't have all the songs.

Checking in "Rainbow's End" it seems that that took place during The Judy Garland Show #20, taped January 24, 1964, and broadcast February 9, 1964.

Called "Judy In Concert".  Judy sang "Liza" and then "Happiness is a Thing Called Joe" and then said:

"I have another child, and she's pretty angry.  She really is.  And her name is Lorna.  And nobody ever wrote a song about Lorna.  And we looked everywhere.  We found songs like Linda and Lily and Lola and Lorraine and Lulu and of course Cincinnati Lou and even Lydia the Tatooed Lady.  But we couldn't find a Lorna.  We just couldn't....we have a lovely theme that was written on our show by Mr Mort Lindsey, our musical conductor.  It's such a pretty melody =, and we thought it would be nice to put some words to it.  So we thought of asking one of the finest lyricists in the country if he could come and help us out, and I'm pretty thrilled, because his name is Johnny Mercer, and you can't do better than that!....I want to thank Johnny for writing such a beautiful lyric and for making Lorna a very happy girl....Let's do your song now...."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #261 on: January 19, 2009, 03:54:38 PM »

DR Edi - It was show #20, "Judy Garland in Concert" - taped 1/24/64; aired 2/9/64.

Jinx

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #262 on: January 19, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »

Sorry to have appeared to be sitting here like so much fish all afternoon.  The realtor called and we left immediately to meet her at the house, which I liked even better this time.  However, it's under a contract that's conditional upon the sale of about 3 houses.  It's been under contract since mid-October and, apparently, one of the parties along the line just lost a job.  At least now Jenny knows what my practically-perfect-in-every-way house looks like.

Can you get the plans & build your practically-perfect home? 

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2009, 04:01:55 PM »

;D  I was wondering about that.  The difference, recording the show is not as disrupting as a flash.  Was there a flash?  I couldn't hear.

Kerry

« Reply #264 on: January 19, 2009, 04:03:38 PM »

I have 'em all, too.   Hold on a sec...

We'll sing 'em all, and we stay up all night!
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #265 on: January 19, 2009, 04:06:39 PM »

And when I saw them in the theatre, so was I.

der Brucer

That's true for so many of us!

It is beautiful outside, not too chilly and there's a light snowfall making everything white and unfortunately slippery. I enjoyed my walk quite a lot. There's something about a snowfall to quieten things down and this noisy town seems very subdued tonight. The holiday? Tomorrow's inauguration? An urge to hibernate? Whatever, it's quite a nice feeling.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #266 on: January 19, 2009, 04:08:53 PM »

Good Evening!

My parents were very impressed with Regency Square Mall.  Not only does the mall have two floors, as well as two Macy's (one sells mainly Men's clothing and accessories, and the other one is geared toward Women and Junior's), but it's enclosed - all the newer malls here in Richmond are "Town Centres" and are "outside".  There was also lots of comfy seating for my father to sit, read and nap while my Mom shopped.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #267 on: January 19, 2009, 04:12:05 PM »

DR JANE - I believe it was the flash that garnered Ms. LuPone's attention.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #268 on: January 19, 2009, 04:23:47 PM »

For DR EDISAURUS and others:

To continue the Mercer/Garland story, producer Bill Colleran (husband and then EX of Lee Remick) told the tale:

In order to obtain the services of JM, the executive producer (Colleran) had to take a red eye flight to Detroit, where the composer was embroiled in the out of town tryouts for a Bert Lahr show called FOXY.  Colleran quickly discovered that the supremely talented Mercer was, for this night anyway, under the influence.  "The song was Judy's idea.  She called Johnny Mercer to write the lyric.  She came back to me and said 'Johnny will do it if we go back there and take him a tape of the song.'  I made the arrangements and got to Detroit.  Johnny greeted me at the door.  I had the tape with me.  He put the tape on and said, 'Okay, sit there and  wait for me - it shouldn't take  too long.'  About two in the morning, passed out with his head on the typewriter, he looked up for the first time and said 'Who the f**k are you?'  I said, 'I produce Judy's show and I'm here for the Lorna theme.'  He said, 'Whose theme?' 'Lorna!' I told him.  'Oh yeah,' he said.  This went on all night until eight in the morning.  He woke up about five or six times and the same thing happened each time, 'Who the f**k are you?!'  He was one of the greatest lyricists of all time, but this was the comedy of all time.  About ten in the morning, he finished the lyric, and I left, totally exhausted.  I went out to Judy;'s house with thet tape, showed her the lyric, and she sang it.  Judy just adored it."

RAINBOW'S END BY COYNE STEVEN SANDERS

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »

The show is in Volume Eight - of the Judy Garland Show DVD collection.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up