Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BIG NOISE  (Read 28087 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BIG NOISE
« on: March 09, 2004, 12:01:21 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have spoken to you, the notes have illuminated you, the notes have made you whole and once you were half now you're whole, no more hunger and thirst but first be a person who needs PEOPLE!  PEOPLE who need PEOPLE, are the luck-i-est PEOPLE in the world.  My goodness, I went off on a Bob Merrill tangent, didn't I?  In fact, I went off on a Bob Merrill tangent quite merrilly, didn't I?  And now I'll paraphrase Mr. Bob Merrill:

Posters,
Our very special posters
Are the luckiest posters in the world
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 12:01:22 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:BIG NOISE
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 12:06:48 AM »

Okay, I was the last to post on the 8th -- let's see if I'm the first on the 9th.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 12:09:18 AM »

What do I win?
I shall now retire for the night and read and then dream about my winnings. 'Night, all.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 01:29:55 AM »

I have absolutely no idea which musical numbers that I like are specifically by MGM, so I will wait until other people who are more knowledgeable about such things start posting what their favorite MGM numbers are and then I can find out which songs are MGM songs and then say that I like that song and that song, etc., etc., etc. (a King and I reference).  Isn’t that a great plan? (I think that that's a You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown reference).

That first sentence was quite long and unseemly, wasn’t it?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 02:40:13 AM »

Whew!  What a lot of posts!  And so tasty, too....just like candy!  ;D

DRCharlesPogue - I am directing a show called LOVING LUCY which is a one woman show that takes place in a Desilu PropRoom on the night of the filming of the last Lucy-Desi Westinghouse Special...Lucille will file for divorce from Desi the next day, and she reflects on what was and what might have been and remembers a few of her funnier routines in a roundabout way, copyright laws being what they are.  It's fun, but waiting around for the tech is beginning to get annoying!

CAMELOT!  I like almost all of the filmings of the story...even "Knights of the Round Table" with Robert Taylor!  And I like the musical CAMELOT although its shortcomings were discussed yesterday.  Joshua Logan was the WRONG director, but I don't know who would have been better....maybe Carol Reed, I don't know....  My favorite number is "Guenevere" with all the action and drama!  Although I don't have a number that I don't like.

I saw Mr Robert Goulet do MAN OF LA MANCHA about 5 years ago, and he was very good....surprisingly so.  I hadn't expected to like him, but I did!  A bit shorter than I imagined, but that's okay!

DRJOSE met Christopher Durang!  8)

I will consider some additions, but a favorite "forgotten" MGM musical number that I enjoy is June Allyson's "Now, Baby, Now" in THE OPPOSITE SEX.  Whew!   :P
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 02:42:13 AM »

And here is your Allison Hayes Picture of the Week:

Miss Hayes & Mr Gene Barry again in HONG KONG CONFIDENTIAL.... Allison forgot the top of her dress...again...but she seems completely at ease nonetheless!  :D

Lovely Frances Dee...widow of Joel McCrea...and who remembers her "I Love Lucy" connection?  ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 04:24:02 AM »

Good morning, all!  It's 7:15 am or so, I finished reading the remainder of last night's posts, and I long to see BK in Olivier's pageboy dol.  Reminds me of the Cole Porter lines:

Let's talk about LaMarr, that Hedy so fair
Why does she let Joan Bennett wear all her old hair?

Now to our serious topic:  MGM numbers

1.  Singin' in the Rain  
2.  Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (not a production number but my fave number in the film)
3.  Triplets
4.  The Girl Hunt Ballet
5.  New York, New York (hate most of this film for its bad arrangements of Bernstein's score and the new songs)
6.  Everything from SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS
7.  Be A Clown
8.  Gigi (great song and great shorts of Paris)
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 04:31:14 AM »

For sheer exuberance and breathless excitement - I have to mention the Challenge Dance - Barn Raising sequence in SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS - the scoring is superbly realized in movement and the growing interest of the town girls in the Pontipee brothers is perfectly represented as well.

The suitors are an unlikely lot (and all of them have the talent to have been cast as a "brother") and I love it when one of them sneers:  "It's them Pontipee brothers..."

AND I still say if the director and choreographer had found a way to put the barn-raising onstage - 7B47B would have had a chance at a longer Broadway run!

So if I have to pick ONE favorite....this would be it!  And I know I'm not a Lonesome Polecat!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 04:42:04 AM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 04:42:29 AM »

DRelmoore we had the same thought!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 05:04:03 AM »

MR BK - you really want your hair to look like this?  Talk about unkempt!  ;)

Kerry

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 05:09:46 AM »

Too many MGM numbers to think about this eraly. Later i willl post.  

"It's Always Fair Weather" has some good moments but is a a terribly cynical film and quite a downer when you think about it.  Reflects the times though---Post war post mortem.

Wasn't Frances Dee in the Hollywood Wives fashion show (along with Gloria Stewart, etc.) OR was she the one Lucy replaced?  Was it a Don Loper collection?

And Jack and Tom, you are stranger than I thought.  And I am stranger for listening to the cd that shows how strange you are!
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 05:10:06 AM »

If you are going for the PageBoy - use this model!  ;D

And by the way, in doing a search, I have discovered that this movie will be released on DVD on May 10!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 05:12:35 AM »

LOL DR KERRY!   But you DID listen!

And YES you are correct, it was the Don Loper collection and Mrs. Joel McCrea couldn't be in the show, Sheila remembered:  "Frances called me, they're leaving for Europe.  Who can we get....and it has to be the wife of a star....."

"Excuse me...may I use your telephone?.....this is Mrs. Ricky Ricardo....the STAR'S wife......"

Ethel:  "Well...that was a subtle performance!"

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 05:30:12 AM »

Robert Wagner always said he felt he looked like Jane Wyman with that haircut!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2004, 05:31:11 AM »

WFO:

How is Joe doing (send him a hug), and how much lomger does he have to be there?
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2004, 05:33:18 AM »

If that was post 222, whatever happened to Karen Valentine (who reallly was quite good)?   AND whatever happended to Bobby Buntrock?  Not that I expect you all to be William Lamparski, but I figured someone might know.  We ALL know the oddest collection of things here!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 05:36:51 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2004, 05:36:28 AM »

I just read that Bobby Buntrock was killed in a car qwreck in 1974.   SAD.  I wonder what he did between 1962 and 1974.  Surely the royalties from "Hazel" couldn't have been THAT good.
I like boat races.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2004, 05:36:56 AM »

Was that Big Noise from Winetka?  I have it on the very best authority (Oh, a Camelot reference!) that the very best Big Noises are from that particular burg.  Usually a Big Noise annoys me.  I find it noissome.  (Which actually has nothing to do with noise.  Nor Does Alfred Noyse.)

Some say, "Bring on the noise!  Bring on da funk!"  But I detest a noise, unless it is a Joyful Noise.  Which is the kind made by Noel Katz, and so everyone must go to www.weddingmusical.com and order the CD of Our Wedding immediately, if not sooner.

I need coffee.  My Lord, I sound like BK, I really do.  I will go out and get some coffee and then read last night's late night posts and return here.  In the meantime, here is a poem by Alfred Noyes to tide you over:

Daddy Fell Into the Pond

Everyone grumbled. The sky was grey.
We had nothing to do and nothing to say.
We were nearing the end of a dismal day,
And then there seemed to be nothing beyond,
Then
Daddy fell into the pond!

And everyone's face grew merry and bright,
And Timothy danced for sheer delight.
"Give me the camera, quick, oh quick!
He's crawling out of the duckweed!" Click!

Then the gardener suddenly slapped his knee,
And doubled up, shaking silently,
And the ducks all quacked as if they were daft,
And it sounded as if the old drake laughed.
Oh, there wasn't a thing that didn't respond
When
Daddy Fell into the pond!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2004, 05:43:02 AM »

I love Karen Valentine - but I don't know if she is still working.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2004, 05:50:56 AM »

Jane Wyman should be so lucky.

td

• td
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2004, 05:56:22 AM »

I know for a fact that one of my favorite M-G-M musical numbers is "Coffee Time" in YOLANDA AND THE THIEF.  Fred Astaire and Lucille Bremer are simply divoon together in each of the M-G-M joint appearances.
"Limehouse Blues" in THE ZIEGFELD FOLLIES.
"This Heart of Mine" in THE ZIEGFELD FOLLIES.

I also like Gene Kelly paired with Cyd Charisse:
"The Heather on the Hill" in BRIGADOON
"The Broadway Ballet" in SINGIN' IN THE RAIN

Cyd with the boxers, "Baby, You Knock Me Out" in IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER.

So, many great individual numbers came out of M-G-M, but, of course, the absolute joy that Gene Kelly brings to the title tune in SINGIN' IN THE RAIN will always be my favorite.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2004, 06:17:39 AM »

In answer to Dear Reader Kerry's inquiry on Joe, here is the present situation.

He is bucking up rather well, considering that they are still not giving him his pain medication, despite repeated requests from his own doctors and his attorney.  We are pursuing other legal avenues, although he is set to be released a week from Friday.

But the saddest news is that his mother is dying, and it is not certain whether she will last until his release.  I spent Sunday afternoon holding her hand and assisting the Nurse's Aide.  Dementia has set in, so Mom seems to believe me when I say that I am Joe.  She is also in a lot of pain, but fortunately her daughter the RN has flown in from California and is pushing the medical people to get her more relief.

As far as suggestions that Joe might be released early to see his mother before she passes, that is a nightmare of regulations and red tape.  Sure, they say, if she is in the hospital, but not if she is home.  Well, there is a thing called a Conditional Release, and the paperwork takes about two weeks to process.  Of course, he can't leave the county, and she is in the next county over.  And on, and on.  I am pursuing other legal avenues, oh yes I am, including a Civil Action against the county.

If I'm off-line this afternoon, it is because I will be with Mom.  She has treated me like a son for twenty-three years and I owe her this.  And although she is a very religious Catholic, I don't think she understands what a threat to the American Family I am.  Perhaps President Bouche could explain it to her.
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2004, 06:25:22 AM »

DR WFO - sometimes I feel as though we are living in the Age of Technology AND the Dark Ages at the same time.

GOOD VIBES TO YOU AND JOE!!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2004, 06:25:46 AM »

Not only did we lose Ms. Dee (aka Mrs. McCrae), but also Paul Winfield.  Although he had many major credits, I remember him most from the under-rated late 80s sitcom "The Charmings" where he played the magic mirror.  And Jrand --- wasn't Ms. Dee one of the participants in the "Celebrity Wife Fashion Show" on one of Lucy's Hollywood episodes?

I love "It's Always Fair Weather".  The script started out as a reunion of the "On the Town" sailors, but that was changed.  I think it's one of Betty and Adolph's best scripts although it would have been nice to give Gene and Cyd at least one number together.  Dolores Grey shows what she could do when given the opportunity.  And it's great use of CinemaScope.  Just too bad that "I Said Good Morning to the Sun" which was written for this film was never used.

As for favorite MGM musical numbers... far too many to list.  From the 20s (title number in "Broadway Melody" and "Singin' in the Rain from "Hollywood Revue"; from the 30s "A Pretty Girl" from "The Great Ziegfeld", Nelson & Jeanette duets; any Ellie Powell dance; from the 40s - Judy, Judy, Judy; the 50s any number from "Singin' In the Rain" or "Bandwagon"; etc.  It was a unique art form that has gone out of style, but at least can still be viewed today.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2004, 06:41:09 AM »

DR WEL - in fact, as posted above - Lucy Ricardo got the chance to be in Don Loper's fashion show because Frances Dee - Mrs Joel McCrea - had to drop out!  

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2004, 07:10:07 AM »

My favorite MGM musical number is GET HAPPY from SUMMER STOCK!

I watched IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER last night also. I saw the movie when I was a youngun, but oddly enough I remembered very little of it. Loved Cyd's dance scene with the boxers and Dolores Gray was great, but otherwise the film didn't do a whole lot for me..it wasn't bad or anything, it just wasn't a lot of fun.

WFO, good vibes to you, Joe, and mom!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 07:10:27 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2004, 07:14:40 AM »

by the way the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan collection will be released on DVD on 6/8/04! What childhood memories that will bring back. Hope they release the Gordon Scott films eventually!

Today I am taping the movie THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO! Love those little marionette people!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2004, 07:27:52 AM »

I adore IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER. I think every number is a winner, and it's beautifully put together even if Kelly and Donen were not getting along at the time. The pacing and cutting of "I Shouldn't Have Come" set to "The Blue Danube Waltz" is just hilarious. Also Cyd's number with the boxers.

Gene and Cyd did film a number together "Love Is Nothing But a Racket" which is on the laserdisc boxed set THE GENE KELLY COLLECTION. Fine number but didn't add anything to the film and so its cutting wasn't a major loss.

My favorite numbers:

Judy's "A Great Lady Has an Interview/Madame Crematon" from ZIEGFELD FOLLIES
Judy's "Mack the Black" from THE PIRATE
Judy's "Get Happy," and Judy and Gene's "The Portland Fancy" both from SUMMER STOCK

Fred and Eleanor's spectacular "Begin the Beguine" in BROADWAY MELODY of 1940.
Fred and Lucille "This Heart of Mine" and "Limehouse Blues" from ZIEGFELD FOLLIES
Fred's "You're All the World to Me" in ROYAL WEDDING
Fred and Cyd's "Dancing in the Dark" in THE BAND WAGON

Gene's "The Pirate Ballet" in THE PIRATE
Gene's "American in Paris" ballet
Gene and Vera's "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" in WORDS AND MUSIC
Gene and Donald's "Moses Supposes" in SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
Gene and Cyd's "Heather on the Hill" in BRIGADOON
Gene's "I Like Myself" mentioned in bk's notes

Other MGM munbers not involved the Holy Three:

"Pass That Peace Pipe" and "The Varsity Drag" from GOOD NEWS
Ann Miller's "Shakin' the Blues Away"
Doris Day's "Shakin' the Blues Away"
Marge and Gower Champion's "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"
Donald O'Connor's "Make 'Em Laugh" and "Life Has Its Funny Little Ups and Downs"
Jane Powell's "My Hero"

Actually, I could go on all day with these.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2004, 07:35:10 AM »

Favorite has to be Gwen Verdon & Carol Haney's performance in "Singing in the Rain" from the eponymous film.
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2004, 07:41:05 AM »

DRMATTH your list just makes me remember all the ones I missed!  LOL

"Get Happy" of course, MBARNUM mentioned it as well.

And how could I forget the hula tap that the remarkable Eleanor Powell does in "Honolulu"...how could I?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up