Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: WHO KILLED TEDDY BEAR?  (Read 35186 times)

Tomovoz

Re: WHO KILLED TEDDY BEAR?
« Reply #360 on: February 03, 2009, 05:41:44 PM »

I suspect BAFA are using Zohan as an example of how low American film making has fallen.  lol (I did get the disc from the same source but there was no "for your Consideration" line).

I did watch a new (to us) UK sit com "Lead Balloon" last night.  The Brits don't always get it right.

I'm also looking forward to watching "The Lives Of Others".  (It's only taken me two years to catch up with this one)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #361 on: February 03, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »

Lest DRs think I am viewing pirated el cheapo movies - I have access to a few "for your consideration" discs from a BAFTA source.  Hence, "Milk", "Quantum" etc.

BAFTA is sending out consideration discs for You Don't Mess With Zohan?

Who knew?

Adam Sandler HAS to have a fan somewhere. . .

In OR it seems.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #362 on: February 03, 2009, 05:47:32 PM »

Lest DRs think I am viewing pirated el cheapo movies - I have access to a few "for your consideration" discs from a BAFTA source.  Hence, "Milk", "Quantum" etc.

That never entered my mind.  I just figured you were lucky getting the movies earlier, like maybe it was an Oz thing. :)

Jane

« Reply #363 on: February 03, 2009, 05:53:45 PM »

Callie had a blood check this morning.  All her levels were normal.  My cat sitter said "Isn't it remarkable how quickly she recovered once you switched vets?"  anyway, we're going to try to wean her off the prednisolone now. Hope that works out.

BEST OF VIBES CALLIE CAN GET OFF OF THE PREDNISOLONE!!!

CONGRATS ON THE TEST RESULTS!
thanks Jane. She's never been healthier and has gained 2 pounds! She's been healthy for quite a while now,. so I figure it's a good time to try to get her off the prednisolone.  The cat sitter can give her the lactulose, so if I can get her off the pills, I won't have to limit all my vacations so she isn't off her meds too long.

I hope it works.  I'm sure you will be going as slowly as possible with those little pills.  If it doesn't work there is a possibility of giving an injection before you travel.  There was no way I could give Bosco a pill on a regular basis.  Instead she received a shot of prednisolone which lasted several months.  I think you could get one to last for a couple of weeks instead.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #364 on: February 03, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »

BK probably remembers my writing a series of columns for another website, called "Track By Track," one of which was a comparison of the various Gypsy recordings.  Yes, I dared to compare Merman, Lansbury, Daly and Midler.

To think that, since that time, there have already been two Broadway revivals... sheesh!

I went through Gypsy burnout back then.  I don't think I even want to hear Peters or LuPone.  Enough is quite enough.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #365 on: February 03, 2009, 06:04:43 PM »

Callie had a blood check this morning.  All her levels were normal.  My cat sitter said "Isn't it remarkable how quickly she recovered once you switched vets?"  anyway, we're going to try to wean her off the prednisolone now. Hope that works out.

BEST OF VIBES CALLIE CAN GET OFF OF THE PREDNISOLONE!!!

CONGRATS ON THE TEST RESULTS!
thanks Jane. She's never been healthier and has gained 2 pounds! She's been healthy for quite a while now,. so I figure it's a good time to try to get her off the prednisolone.  The cat sitter can give her the lactulose, so if I can get her off the pills, I won't have to limit all my vacations so she isn't off her meds too long.

I hope it works.  I'm sure you will be going as slowly as possible with those little pills.  If it doesn't work there is a possibility of giving an injection before you travel.  There was no way I could give Bosco a pill on a regular basis.  Instead she received a shot of prednisolone which lasted several months.  I think you could get one to last for a couple of weeks instead.
yes, we have a schedule and I'll follow it.  it will take 24 days to wean her off of them. I have a feeling she'll be fine.  She's so much stronger

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #366 on: February 03, 2009, 06:21:45 PM »

Interesting allegations, Pogue.  Could you provide us with the actual quotations, where he said what you are claiming he said?
[/quote]

From GAZETTE.NET, Maryland Community Newspapers online...Friday, Feb. 10th, 2006:

"Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele, under heavy criticism from Jewish leaders and a key Democratic opponent in the race for US Senate, apologized Friday for comparing embryonic stem cell research to Nazi experiments during the Holocaust."

I don't expect he'd be apologizing for it, if he hadn't said it.  But it's just one of many disturbing facts about him I've read over the last few days.  Isn't he the guy who, in the same campaign, tried to give the impression to voters he was a Democrat?   I've also seen him on several news shows in the past.  He comes across to me as just another dodge, evade, and spin-doctor apologist for the Republican party.

Jane

« Reply #367 on: February 03, 2009, 06:28:32 PM »

Cilla, 24 days!  I'm very impressed & obviously your new doctor is on the ball.  Again, best of luck you can get her off of it & she continues to be healthy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #368 on: February 03, 2009, 06:46:56 PM »

Pogue provides proof.  Will it matter?  Absolutely not.  Which I find both amusing and distressing, but having been down that road and having been proven right time and again with no apologies from those accusing of being wrong, I expect it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #369 on: February 03, 2009, 06:48:14 PM »

This day was busier than yesterday.  It just never stopped, save for a pizza break at Dino's.  I really don't know how many pages I've written but it's not enough - I think I did five altogether, and will definitely do two more for sure - won't do less than seven this week, because I'm "taking it home" as they say in show business.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #370 on: February 03, 2009, 06:48:36 PM »

Sean work session was really long and mostly spent trying to get arrangements right.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #371 on: February 03, 2009, 06:48:54 PM »

And now I shall write, and then relax with a motion picture on DVD. 

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #372 on: February 03, 2009, 06:54:11 PM »

Interesting allegations, Pogue.  Could you provide us with the actual quotations, where he said what you are claiming he said?

From GAZETTE.NET, Maryland Community Newspapers online...Friday, Feb. 10th, 2006:

"Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele, under heavy criticism from Jewish leaders and a key Democratic opponent in the race for US Senate, apologized Friday for comparing embryonic stem cell research to Nazi experiments during the Holocaust."

I don't expect he'd be apologizing for it, if he hadn't said it.  But it's just one of many disturbing facts about him I've read over the last few days.  Isn't he the guy who, in the same campaign, tried to give the impression to voters he was a Democrat?   I've also seen him on several news shows in the past.  He comes across to me as just another dodge, evade, and spin-doctor apologist for the Republican party.

I ask you for a direct quote, and you cannot give one.

Try this, from the same article you are referencing, atGazetteNet.com:

Specifically, what Steel said was:

‘‘You of all folks know what happens when people decide they want to experiment on human beings, when they want to take your life and use it as a tool,” Steele told the group, according to news reports. ‘‘I know that as well in my community, out of our experience with slavery, and so I’m very cautious when people say this is the best new thing, this is going to save lives.”

Is the word Holocost anywhere in that quote?  The word Nazi? 

It was Steele's opponent in the Senate race, Benjamin Cardin, who used the word Holocost:

‘‘He doesn’t have the right to compare ... stem cell research to the barbarity of the Holocaust,” Benjamin Cardin said.]‘‘He doesn’t have the right to compare ... stem cell research to the barbarity of the Holocaust,” Benjamin Cardin said.

Cardin, for the benefit of his campaign, took offence where none was intended, forcing the "appology".  Cardin was the one doing the spinning.  If you had included more than the lead paragraph, this would have been obvious.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:08:39 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #373 on: February 03, 2009, 07:12:53 PM »

'night

Cillaliz

« Reply #374 on: February 03, 2009, 07:13:59 PM »

Cilla, 24 days!  I'm very impressed & obviously your new doctor is on the ball.  Again, best of luck you can get her off of it & she continues to be healthy.

Thanks. I'm hoping so too.  This is the first time I've been this confident about her health

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #375 on: February 03, 2009, 07:44:36 PM »

But have you provided the whole quote?  Right before your quoted passage in the same article is :

"He compared science involved in embryonic stem cell research to Nazi experiments on Jews during World War II."

But whether there is more to the quote or not, we get the veiled allusion in it.  Typical political double-speak...We will imply our racism without outright mentioning it; we will imply our homophobia without outright mentioning it; we will accuse people of being terrorists and unpatriotic and un-American without ever coming right out and saying it.  We will speak in thinly veiled code so that all you racists, homophobes, bigots, religious facists, and even the stupidiest of you uneducated rubes, will get the "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" and be in our snide assertions which we can easily disavow.  We all know how that game is played.

And once again, he was the one apologizing for his remarks.  If he felt he had spoken clearly enough that such a comparison shouldn't have been made, he wouldn't have apologize.  But we know how that game is played too.

But Michael Steele is irrelevant, as most party chairs are...His missteps merely echo the more damning postures of the Bushes, Cheneys, Rumsfelts and all the Boehners and McConnells and myriad lackeys that followed in lockstep the last eight years and allowed everything that made this country great to be dismantled.   There is nothing admirable about party loyalty when your party is wrong. 

To quote author Terry Pratchett:  "You can't do bad things and call yourselves the good guys." 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #376 on: February 03, 2009, 08:25:12 PM »

Good Evening!

I liked The Story of My Life.  And I hope to like it even more the next time I see it.

*DR td - Jim Stanek is Malcolm Gets' understudy.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #377 on: February 03, 2009, 08:27:44 PM »

I didn't order YENTL. I saw the film when it came out and reviewed it, but I've never been anxious to own a copy of it. I played the soundtrack LP a few times but have never upgraded to the CD because I just like the score without loving it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #378 on: February 03, 2009, 08:30:07 PM »

We did get rain finally. And it's cold outside, baby. (Kind of a Frank Loesser reference).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #379 on: February 03, 2009, 08:30:28 PM »

It was kind of eerie when I got out of the subway.  There was no one on the streets.  And with all the dark theatres right now along 44th and 45th streets... The St. James, The Hirshfeld, The Shubert, etc.  -Although, the new artwork is up for Blithe Spirit already... :-\

Of course, it wasn't until I left The Booth - and saw lots of "stage-dooring" going on that I remembered that every other show that was  running tonight had 7:00 curtains. Oh, that's right! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #380 on: February 03, 2009, 08:31:40 PM »

I began my evening watching THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL. Had a few good moments, but too much was squeezed into the film so shortcuts had to be made. Certainly was beautiful to look at in high def.

Eric Bana filled King Henry's robes BEAUTIFULLY.

FJL

« Reply #381 on: February 03, 2009, 08:31:42 PM »

Wow, so much to catch up on!

FJL

« Reply #382 on: February 03, 2009, 08:32:10 PM »

Happy happy happy belated birthday to Amy!!!

FJL

« Reply #383 on: February 03, 2009, 08:32:34 PM »

Congrats to Monkey!

FJL

« Reply #384 on: February 03, 2009, 08:32:53 PM »

I loved Teibele and her Demon. 

Matt H.

« Reply #385 on: February 03, 2009, 08:34:24 PM »

Next, I watched the first Hollywood round on AMERICAN IDOL. There was a lot of the usual nonsense: not enough of people singing and too much of the dramatics, the male judges putting through semi-talented women because they're flirts, etc.

To be honest, I didn't hear many songs that I liked at all.

Matt H.

« Reply #386 on: February 03, 2009, 08:36:59 PM »

And I concluded my evening with last night's HEROES. Yes, it did get the season off to a good start. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here. I love SYLAR! He alone could fight off the "bad guys." Nice to see Zjelko Ivanek on the show, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #387 on: February 03, 2009, 08:38:05 PM »

My work project for tomorrow will be Spike Lee's MIRACLE AT ST. ANNA on Blu-ray. (Unless MADAGASCAR 2 arrives. It comes out on Sunday so it get priority.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #388 on: February 03, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »

Me Three!!  Four!!  Five!!!!  -In regards to Better Midler, Bernadette Peters, Barbra Streisand, etc.

*And as for Ms. LuPone, I've always liked her better in person than on record.  -Although, the American OCR of Evita is still one of my regular listens.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #389 on: February 03, 2009, 08:51:20 PM »

I loved Teibele and her Demon. 

Me too.  Well, the production that my college mounted a few years ago.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up