Ben

Re: BALLS
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2009, 06:50:25 AM »

In fact, here we are!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2009, 06:51:25 AM »

And the word of the day is: COLUMBARIUM!

And The Song Of The Day Is: THE FINALE OF "PIPPIN"

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2009, 06:59:43 AM »

I believe that the GREATEST single performance by an actor in a Motion Picture ever is AL PACINO in THE GODFATHER I.
If you consider the opening scene of that movie and the arc of his performance to the last scene it is IMHO magnificent.

I loved Robert DeNiro in TAXI DRIVER

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2009, 07:30:50 AM »

But do you love Balls?

;)

I always thought a good title for a TV movie about Lucille Ball and her Desilu empire and her family would be THE BALLS OF HOLLYWOOD.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2009, 07:40:50 AM »

But do you love Balls?

;)

I always thought a good title for a TV movie about Lucille Ball and her Desilu empire and her family would be THE BALLS OF HOLLYWOOD.

There's a very funny little anecdote told by Carol Burnett on one of the extras of MAKE 'EM LAUGH, about more or less this same joke.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2009, 07:41:01 AM »

TOD:

Robert DiNiro--
RAGING BULL
TAXI DRIVER
A BRONX TALE
MEET THE PARENTS
AWAKENINGS

Al Pacino --
THE GODFATHER PART II
DOG DAY AFTERNOON
SERPICO

I kind of remember liking Pacino in AND JUSTICE FOR ALL and AUTHOR! AUTHOR! but the truth is I haven't seen either of those movies in over twenty years and I have no idea if they still hold up or not.

I do recall thinking that Pacino would have been so much better as Nathan than Kevin Kline in SOPHIE'S CHOICE.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2009, 07:41:23 AM »

TOM and COLIN--we are very concerned for you.  Aussie fires are on the front page of The Oregonian today--really scary pics.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2009, 07:42:01 AM »

Good morning!

Couldn't be more beautiful. We had a record high yesterday - 74, and the high today is supposed to be in the mid-60s. Not a cloud in the sky. I jsut stepped outside a second, and I won't even need a jacket today when I go to lunch.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2009, 07:42:53 AM »

And in the really weird department--I have received two kind of impenetrable emails from someone who archives a weekly radio show that Bob Dylan does (???).  He evidently mentioned my Frances Farmer article when he introduced the Nirvana song about her last week.  I'm trying to find actual info, rather than this second-hand report, but my daily hits on the article have indeed gone way up recently.  Very peculiar.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2009, 07:46:51 AM »

TOD:

I certainly agree Al Pacino's performance in THE GODFATHER is THE performance of that movie. That they relegated him to the Supporting category for a lead performance is absurd. If anything, Marlon Brando should have been in the supporting category. And, Brando's performance is rather bland compared to Pacino's. Ah, well....

Pacino: THE GODFATHER, THE GODFATHER PART II, DOG DAY AFTERNOON, HEAT, ANY GIVEN SUNDAY

De Niro: BANG THE DRUM SLOWLY, THE GODFATHER PART II, THE LAST TYCOON, RAGING BULL, ANALYZE THIS

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2009, 07:49:02 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

President Obama's 8 p.m. speech makes charting shows a little risky, but here goes:

ABC - I'm guessing it will be THE BACHELOR at 9 for two hours
CBS - TWO AND A HALF MEN, BIG BANG THEORY, CSI: MIAMI
NBC - HEROES, MEDIUM
FOX - '24'
TNT - THE CLOSER, TRUST ME

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 07:51:23 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2009, 07:50:08 AM »

Right now, the listings say that CBS is going to rejoin prime time at 8:30 with HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER. This may change.

Note to fans: BIG BANG THEORY has been moved tonight to 9:30 preempting WORST WEEK.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2009, 07:54:51 AM »

As I mentioned last night, I'll be working on HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3 today. I also received the first HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL on Blu-ray which I'll get to later in the week. I got a taste for what it will look like yesterday when I flipped to the Disney-HD Channel, and it was playing. I had never seen it in widescreen before (the DVD versions are framed at 1.33:1; the Blu-rays are 1.78:1), so it was GREAT to see it looking like a modern film instead of like a TV show.

DAW

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2009, 08:00:05 AM »

You may now order Amazon's 2nd generation Kindle.   :)    If money is no object.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2009, 08:19:58 AM »

Well, I need to head down now to get cleaned up for my lunch out with best friend John.

WBBL.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2009, 08:21:04 AM »

You may now order Amazon's 2nd generation Kindle.   :)    If money is no object.

Hmmm...no back light, no color...not enough new features to interest me.  But at least they are nice (relatively speaking) enough to let the owners of the original model to have first crack at it.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2009, 08:45:55 AM »

I like DeNiro when he's NOT playing a "crazy".  Hated him in CAPE FEAR and THE FAN.

But, he's very likable when he's playing a normal person.  Just saw his WHAT JUST HAPPENED.  It's a very funny movie, but you really have to know the inside workings of the movie business in order to truly appreciate the humor.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2009, 08:46:55 AM »

LATIMES

Thank you very much.

If we were to choose to stay, or forced to stay, during a fire we don't have fire hoses.  Shortly after moving here we did put a pond in for the water for the fire department to pump with their hoses.

The fire chief gave us a top rating which means we have the land around the house well cleared.  He said a poor rating means they won't even bother going to your house during a brush fire.  A top rating means they should.  We also have a slate roof though the house is wood.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2009, 08:49:58 AM »

Do I get double points for that one?      :)

You get a double-D sports bra.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2009, 08:50:55 AM »

A pleasant wake-up story for Jane:

der Brucer

Sweet :)  Again, thank you.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2009, 08:51:43 AM »

Good morning. That is all. But it is early.

Well, perhaps you'll have less when you don't watch TV.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2009, 08:54:28 AM »

More safety vibes to Tom and Colin

Jane

« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2009, 08:56:18 AM »

DR Ben can you get a key so you can use the stairs?  I prefer stairs to elevators, and what happens if the elevators don't work?  What about people who can't ride them, doesn't this take away their personal rights ;)

Jane

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2009, 09:00:05 AM »

Note to fans: BIG BANG THEORY has been moved tonight to 9:30 preempting WORST WEEK.

Darn, no WORST WEEK.  Thanks for the heads up.  We dropped TRUST ME so it is just BIG BANK & THE CLOSER for us tonight.

Last night we watched BONES.  It was an excellent episode, like they used to write them.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2009, 09:04:51 AM »

I like DeNiro when he's NOT playing a "crazy".  Hated him in CAPE FEAR and THE FAN.

But, he's very likable when he's playing a normal person.  Just saw his WHAT JUST HAPPENED.  It's a very funny movie, but you really have to know the inside workings of the movie business in order to truly appreciate the humor.

I also like Low Key DeNiro, DR Druxy.  I mentione his performances in A BRONX TALE and AWAKENING (quirky, but still low key.)  I also liked him in the generally ignored STANLEY AND IRIS.  I haven't seen WHAT JUST HAPPENED yet.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2009, 09:06:15 AM »

Reading the information on the link DR Tomovoz provided last night, I believe our Oz guys are currently sleeping in their beds. 

CONTINUED SAFETY VIBES!

DAW

« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2009, 09:06:48 AM »

Under the "Just thought I'd share" department....

One of today's cafeteria specials is a Roast Beef sandwich on grilled ciabatta with boursin cheese spread and carmelized onions.    Yum!!    :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2009, 09:16:48 AM »

I am doing what I've always done on every single book - going to "print" where there is a save as pdf function.  I have NEVER EVER had this problem before - why is that so hard to understand.  It's always done a perfect clone of the Word doc, in which I use Courier New 12 point font.  And just in case you're still not getting it, this is the FIRST TIME I have had this problem and I convert Word docs to pdfs with this font and this size all the time.  I am using the fonts I've always used, the fonts that come with Word.

I'm looking at Murder at The Grove - and the body of the text is NOT in Courier New (except, perhaps, for the first three lines of page 191). Couier is a fixed-space font, your text is a proportional spaced font.

der Brucer

This isn't a finished book, it's a manuscript written in Word.

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2009, 09:19:08 AM »

DR Ben, I worked on the 5th floor of an office building that had the stairway doors locked also...I always wondered what would happen if we evacuated via the stairs but then got trapped by fire and unable to get back into an office.

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2009, 09:19:36 AM »

I don't know from the TOD.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up