News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: BALLS  (Read 24821 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BALLS
« on: February 09, 2009, 12:26:10 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were ballsy, and now it is time for you to post until the ballsy cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: BALLS
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:27:18 AM »

And the word of the day is: COLUMBARIUM!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:27:39 AM »

To which I can only say - One Grecian Urn.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:34:29 AM »

Here's something weird that's never happened before - I saved the book as a pdf, which is what I normally put on a CD and take to get printed.  I have NEVER had a problem doing this before  - the pdf is a perfect clone of the Word doc.  But this time, on the pdf copy the type is slightly smaller - same font and everything and same page layout, put I printed out a page and held it up with the same page from the Word doc and the pdf is absolutely slightly smaller type.  How?  Has Adobe Reader changed something?  It's freaking me out and I don't want to print the book with that slightly smaller size.  Any ideas?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:45:06 AM »

Here's something weird that's never happened before - I saved the book as a pdf, which is what I normally put on a CD and take to get printed.  I have NEVER had a problem doing this before  - the pdf is a perfect clone of the Word doc.  But this time, on the pdf copy the type is slightly smaller - same font and everything and same page layout, put I printed out a page and held it up with the same page from the Word doc and the pdf is absolutely slightly smaller type.  How?  Has Adobe Reader changed something?  It's freaking me out and I don't want to print the book with that slightly smaller size.  Any ideas?

I've never heard of anything like this happening before. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 12:53:10 AM »

LATIMES

'Stay or go' policy puts Australian families on front lines of firefighting

Fire is a pervasive danger in Australia, just as in much of the American West. But Australians cope with the threat in a manner difficult to envision in the U.S.

Americans expect firefighters to protect their lives and property. Australians in rural communities view that as their own responsibility.

U.S. authorities are quick to order mass evacuations during wildfires; they prefer to get civilians out of the way so professionals can douse the flames. Australian officials are more likely to hand homeowners shovels and put them to work.

People here live by the principle of "stay or go" during fire season. Residents who can't or won't battle an advancing fire are advised to get out early. Those who stay are expected to defend their homes. It's a policy driven by pragmatism: There simply aren't enough firefighters or firetrucks to protect far-flung rural homesteads.

What's more, researchers here have found that people and houses are more likely to survive a bushfire if they stay together. The reason: Wind-borne embers and the spot fires they cause pose the greatest threat to homes. Residents properly trained and equipped can easily extinguish these small fires.

Fleeing at the last minute is much more dangerous than hunkering down and fighting. Roads are often choked with smoke or blocked by downed trees and utility poles. Late, panicky evacuations account for most wildfire deaths, Australian authorities have found.

With the current total now over 130, more folks have died in the current fires than in the last 40 years combined!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 01:04:11 AM »

Yes, it's totally weird.  I just printed out another page, same thing - and frankly, even the Courier New font looks slightly different.  I didn't think anything could change when you were just saving a Word doc to a pdf.  Is there some setting that might have changed in the endless updates of Adobe Reader?  I just don't get it.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 01:14:32 AM »

...even the Courier New font looks slightly different.  I didn't think anything could change when you were just saving a Word doc to a pdf. 

A. Are you using the True Type version of the fonts?
B. What software are you using to convert Word to .pdf? (Or does Word for the Mac have a built in MS save-as converter).

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 01:14:34 AM »

Welcome five GUESTS - reading the same threads over and over and over again.  One wonders why?  And one wonders who ARE you people?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 01:14:39 AM »

Yes, it's totally weird.  I just printed out another page, same thing - and frankly, even the Courier New font looks slightly different.  I didn't think anything could change when you were just saving a Word doc to a pdf.  Is there some setting that might have changed in the endless updates of Adobe Reader?  I just don't get it.

I'm afraid I can't help you.  The first time that I had the ability to save a Word document as a pdf was when I got Vista at work a few months ago, but I've never used it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 01:17:03 AM »

I am doing what I've always done on every single book - going to "print" where there is a save as pdf function.  I have NEVER EVER had this problem before - why is that so hard to understand.  It's always done a perfect clone of the Word doc, in which I use Courier New 12 point font.  And just in case you're still not getting it, this is the FIRST TIME I have had this problem and I convert Word docs to pdfs with this font and this size all the time.  I am using the fonts I've always used, the fonts that come with Word.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 01:41:27 AM »

I am doing what I've always done on every single book - going to "print" where there is a save as pdf function.  I have NEVER EVER had this problem before - why is that so hard to understand.  It's always done a perfect clone of the Word doc, in which I use Courier New 12 point font.  And just in case you're still not getting it, this is the FIRST TIME I have had this problem and I convert Word docs to pdfs with this font and this size all the time.  I am using the fonts I've always used, the fonts that come with Word.

I'm looking at Murder at The Grove - and the body of the text is NOT in Courier New (except, perhaps, for the first three lines of page 191). Couier is a fixed-space font, your text is a proportional spaced font.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 02:11:49 AM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 02:10:09 AM »

A pleasant wake-up story for Jane:

Puppies Jack and Emma on a couch at an American military base in Afghanistan.
Dogpile.com

Puppies from Afghanistan, Jack and Emma, got introduced to their new home after a long journey to the U.S. paid for by Dogpile.com.

Sgt. Daniel Barker holds Jack after their homecoming in Fayetteville, N.C.

AFGHAN DOGS REUNITED WITH U.S. SOLDIERS RETURNING FROM DEPLOYMENT

A U.S. soldier returning to Fayetteville, N.C., from Afghanistan got a surprise welcome from two dogs he saved from starvation while stationed in the war-torn country.

WRAL.com, a FOX affiliate in Raleigh, reports that a charity animal-rescue program run by Internet search engine Dogpile.com reunited Staff Sgt. Daniel Barker with two dogs reportedly rescued by Barker and his fellow soldier, Adam Krause, during their 2008 deployment to Afghanistan.

Barker and Krause found the malnourished puppies abandoned on the streets of Afghanistan and brought them back to their military base, where they named them Jack and Emma, the station reports.

When the soldiers got near the end of their deployment in January, they contacted Dogpile.com after hearing about its work with the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Dogpile.com reportedly agreed to pay for the dogs' journey to the U.S. and stay in Customs.

After being delivered to New York City, the puppies were taken to home by Barker's wife, Lisa, who cared for them until the soldiers returned.

der Brucer

DAW

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 02:16:20 AM »

***SAFE & EASY TRAVEL VIBES***
today for DR Cillaliz!!!

DAW

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 02:17:16 AM »

***CONTINUE XYLOPHONES OF SAFETY***
for DR Tomovoz and his ever-lovin' DP Colin

DAW

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 02:17:47 AM »

Oh, and ***DENTAL VIBES*** for DR Tomovoz today, as well...

DAW

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 02:18:23 AM »

Looks like Kathy Griffin did not pick up her coveted GRAMMY award.     :(

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 02:34:43 AM »

Looks like Kathy Griffin did not pick up her coveted GRAMMY award.     :(

But YES for Duffy and Adele.   Hooray for Great pop music.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 02:36:23 AM »

Oh, and ***DENTAL VIBES*** for DR Tomovoz today, as well...

Thank you WAD RD.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 03:31:26 AM »

Sgt. Daniel Barker holds Jack after their homecoming in Fayetteville, N.C.
Does anyone else out there find it appropriate that his name is BARKER?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 03:33:20 AM »

Continued safe vibes for DR Tomovoz...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(The gap in the vibes line is a fire-break, of course!)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 03:36:14 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 03:43:47 AM »

Tom and Colin, glad to hear that you are still safe.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 03:44:50 AM »

I'm at home finishing my breakfast. Since Anthony is gone until the end of April I will probably be eating breakfast at home and going into the office a bit later every day. Ah, the luxury of sleeping in (until 5:45am)

Ben

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 03:45:11 AM »

Good Morning Woody.

Ben

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 03:45:23 AM »

I'm off to the shower.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 03:59:48 AM »

Dear DR Matt:

Re: Kitchen Confidental

I don't know if you've read the original book by Anthony Bourdain.  It certainly established his career as a writer, even though he'd written a few fiction tomes previously.  And it did a great job of deglamorizing the restaurant biz.

The problem with the television series is that it failed in two ways.  First, it never really got the grit of working in a kitchen right.  Bourdain caught in his writing the sweat and the burns and the foul languages (both English and Spanish).  What ended up on the television was clean, cool, medically safe and subtitleless.

Second, the book, or at least the autobiography parts, reveal two Anthony Bourdains.  The first is the kid who knows, who absolutely knows, that this is the life he wants, this hard bitten and burn-scarred life, not matter how much it is going to change him.  The second is the Bourdain that the kid becomes: hard bitten, burn-scarred, and recovering from the addictions that life exposed him to.  Of course, since Fox-TV scrubbed the story clean, they also scrubbed Bourdain clean, which robbed the series of it's central character.  (There's a reason why Bourdain himself works so well on the Travel Channel in No Reservations, where he didn't fit in with the same concept over at FoodTV.  You cannot scrub Bourdain - he is unscrubbable.)

Bradley Cooper did his best with what he was given.  I think, given the chance, he could have played Bourdain very well.  But it required that he be given the right material, and the writing simply wasn't there.  Or wasn't allowed to be there.

And then there's the problem of the book's dual Bourdains.  I'd have gone back, told them to let Cooper play the older "Bourdain", who finds himself hiring this young kid "Anthony", so much like the kid he himself used to be.  That would have created a foundation for the writers to work from.

Isn't hindsight wonderful.

There's another book out there, called Waiter Rant, by "The Waiter".  I haven't read it yet (waiting for it to get to paperback), but I've been following the blog for quite some time.  The writing has style.  It's been optioned.  I think Norbert Leo Butz would be great as the Waiter.  And someone in a suit is going to get the whole thing wrong.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 04:00:38 AM »

Workies.  Special training session today.   ::)

Michael

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 04:49:55 AM »

TOD

I think both Pacino & De Niro gave their best performances in the 70's & 80's and some of the 90's

Chose two films each.

Pacino
Dog Day Afternoon
Author! Author!

De Niro
Taxi Driver
The King of Comedy

Bonus Choices

Pacino
Dick Tracey

De Niro
Analyze This
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 04:56:38 AM »

Some Grammy awards of interest

Traditional Pop Vocal Album: "Still Unforgettable," Natalie Cole (DMI Records)

Compilation Soundtrack Album for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: "Juno," (various artists) Peter Afterman, Jason Reitman and Margaret Yen, producers (Fox Music/Rhino)

Score Soundtrack Album for Motion Television or Other Visual Media: "The Dark Knight," James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer, composers (Warner Sunset/Warner Bros.)

Song Written for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: "Down to Earth," ("WALL-E") Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman, songwriters (Peter Gabriel) (Walt Disney Records/Pixar; Publishers: Walt Disney Music, Wonderland Music/Pixar Talking Pictures/Pixar Music)

Musical Show Album: "In the Heights," Kurt Deutsch, Alex Lacamoire, Andres Levin, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Joel Moss and Bill Sherman, producers; Lin-Manuel Miranda, composer/lyricist (Original Broadway Cast with Lin-Manuel Miranda and Others) (Razor & Tie Entertainment/Ghostlight Records)

Spoken Word Album (Includes Poetry, Audio Books & Story Telling): "An Inconvenient Truth (Al Gore)," Beau Bridges, Cynthia Nixon and Blair Underwood (Simon & Schuster Audio)

Musical Album for Children: "Here Come the 123s," They Might Be Giants (Disney Sound)

Spoken Word Album Children: "Yes to Running! Bill Harley Live," Bill Harley (Round River Records)

Comedy Album: "It's Bad for Ya," George Carlin (Eardrum Records)

Instrumental Composition: "The Adventures of Mutt," (from "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," John Williams, composer (John Williams), track from "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" soundtrack (Concord Records)

Instrumental Arrangement: "Define Dancing," (from "WALL-E") Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman, arrangers (Thomas Newman), track from "WALL-E" soundtrack (Walt Disney Records)

Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s): "Here's That Rainy Day," Nan Schwartz, arranger (Natalie Cole), track from "Still Unforgettable" (DMI Records)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 04:58:20 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 05:06:44 AM »

Continued Safety Vibes for DR TOMovOZ and COLIN.

Great to hear from DR DAKOTA CELT last night.

Steve Wozniak on DANCING WITH THE STARS??!!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up