Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOMENTUM  (Read 23024 times)

DAW

Re: MOMENTUM
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2009, 11:20:17 PM »

Maybe you should ask him why he's paying you if he doesn't want your input.

Whatever they're paying bk, it isn't enough.        :-\             He should get "hazard" pay.

Laura

« Reply #241 on: February 24, 2009, 11:20:19 PM »

An answering machine, which was fine with me.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #242 on: February 24, 2009, 11:21:48 PM »

I dislike statements.

Especially the "overdrawn" ones from the bank.

der Brucer

Speaking of...I just realized earlier today that I hadn't balanced my checkbook in a couple of weeks! :o

I have and all I can say is that I'm SO GLAD that I get paid on Friday!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DAW

« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2009, 11:22:27 PM »

I think DR Jane's ancestor's "small nuclear fusion device" should be applied to Laura DR's copier.       ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2009, 11:22:57 PM »

As with most of these gigs, there is no pay right now - later there will be, when we're close to the actual reading.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #245 on: February 24, 2009, 11:23:08 PM »

I'm soooo tired.

FJL

« Reply #246 on: February 24, 2009, 11:23:38 PM »

Gosh, I'm up late.

FJL

« Reply #247 on: February 24, 2009, 11:24:48 PM »

Jane in getting close to landmark post 22222.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2009, 11:27:29 PM »

The library system where I work has to cut $2.5 million out of next year's budget because of the failed levy lid lift.  They're going to have a series of meetings with the public to decide what programs/hours, etc., to cut.  It won't be pretty. :-\

TRL is committed more than ever to aiding economic development in each community by helping people in their search for jobs, by assisting entrepreneurs to start small businesses, and by doing its part to make communities more attractive to large employers.

Other than the last item. it would seem that the other items are not part of a Public Library's core function - they should be first on the chopping block. (maybe they should be moved to the Community College system).

The meeting will be a waste of time - the folks showing up will be overwhelming those who voted for the levy lid lift and will just be there to argue to save their favorite program(s).

How much would be saved by reducing all library operating hours by one day per week?

How much saved by reducing acquisitions by 25%?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DAW

« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2009, 11:28:46 PM »

Awake due to restlessness. 

My division of the company I work for is being "divested" from the main company.  Sold/spun off to become its own company.  We've already had major layoffs in each regional office over the past few weeks.  We will go from being part of a company with 25,000 employees worldwide to a tiny company of about 120 people.  I will be the only person remaining from the small group that I work with, and I will be reporting to a new boss located in Dallas.  I met her by phone yesterday.  We will have a new and completely different benefits package, and will be moving our office within the next 6 to 9 months.  Lots of change!  But I do feel fortunate, for now, to still have a job.  Oh, yes, I do feel fortunate.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #250 on: February 24, 2009, 11:36:02 PM »

.. and will be moving our office within the next 6 to 9 months. 

I guess you don't get to keep the gourmet cafeteria.

der Brucer

"divest" - the action of removing arms from the main body.

DAW

« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2009, 11:36:28 PM »

*Warning: one word in the song not appropriate for work!

DAW

« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2009, 11:38:24 PM »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2009, 11:40:07 PM »

In your case a bloody example ala Spamalot would be more appropriate.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:42:21 PM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2009, 11:41:37 PM »

"STRIKE"?

der Brucer

George

« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2009, 11:41:54 PM »

This is a great song!  I have the DVD from England to Jerry Springer: The Opera (whence this comes) and I really enjoyed it! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DAW

« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2009, 11:45:13 PM »

Well, back to bed...I'm gonna try for another hour or so of sleep.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »

George,

Did your Library folks present - very publicly -  a detailed shopping list of what would be lost if the levy lid lift failed?

der Brucer

George

« Reply #258 on: February 24, 2009, 11:53:54 PM »

The library system where I work has to cut $2.5 million out of next year's budget because of the failed levy lid lift.  They're going to have a series of meetings with the public to decide what programs/hours, etc., to cut.  It won't be pretty. :-\

TRL is committed more than ever to aiding economic development in each community by helping people in their search for jobs, by assisting entrepreneurs to start small businesses, and by doing its part to make communities more attractive to large employers.

Other than the last item. it would seem that the other items are not part of a Public Library's core function - they should be first on the chopping block. (maybe they should be moved to the Community College system).

The meeting will be a waste of time - the folks showing up will be overwhelming those who voted for the levy lid lift and will just be there to argue to save their favorite program(s).

How much would be saved by reducing all library operating hours by one day per week?

How much saved by reducing acquisitions by 25%?

der Brucer

I don't doubt that what you say is true (the "core functions" and preaching to the choir meetings).  We had already reduced the acquisitions materials budget by $300,000+ for the 2009 budget.  Not every library is open every day...and no library is open on Sunday.  Here is an article in one of the Lewis County newspapers.

George

« Reply #259 on: February 24, 2009, 11:56:19 PM »

George,

Did your Library folks present - very publicly -  a detailed shopping list of what would be lost if the levy lid lift failed?

der Brucer

I don't think that they did.  Non-co-worker friends of mine have said that they didn't see very much in the way of PR and I don't recall seeing anything going out specifying what would happen if it failed. :-\ I don't think they thought of that.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2009, 12:16:31 AM »

George,

der Brucer

I don't think that they did.  Non-co-worker friends of mine have said that they didn't see very much in the way of PR and I don't recall seeing anything going out specifying what would happen if it failed. :-\ I don't think they thought of that.

Now you know why folks who want voter initiatives to pass go to Political Consulting companies (like the ones I used to work for) to get campaign assistance. Even the best of initiatives need smart campaigns to pass - and one that appears to raise taxes always does! It sounds like you needed Billboards, TV spots, letters-to-the editors, and a direct mailing effort (and some fundraising to pay for it!).

der Brucer

George

« Reply #261 on: February 25, 2009, 12:26:31 AM »

George,

der Brucer

Now you know why folks who want voter initiatives to pass go to Political Consulting companies (like the ones I used to work for) to get campaign assistance. Even the best of initiatives need smart campaigns to pass - and one that appears to raise taxes always does! It sounds like you needed Billboards, TV spots, letters-to-the editors, and a direct mailing effort (and some fundraising to pay for it!).

der Brucer

Obviously, no one thought of this, either.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up