Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERSNICKETY DAY  (Read 26799 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE PERSNICKETY DAY
« on: March 13, 2004, 12:00:56 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've ascertained their true meaning, so now you are ready to post until the cows come home and to keep the home fries burning until my returning for which I know you'll be yearning.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 12:02:27 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE PERSNICKETY DAY
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 12:03:20 AM »

I can't believe our pajama party people all turned not into pumpkins but WUSSBURGERS!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 12:45:10 AM »

I am not a wussburger.  (We ran out of wusstershire sauce.)

Comic plays...

Noises Off
Lend Me a Tenor
Happy Birthday, Wanda June
Hay Fever
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 03:38:14 AM »

Good morning, all!  Buddy Holly's singing in the background, I finished reading last night's posts, and I'm all alone here this morning.  Of course, it's 6:15 am, so that probably explains it.

DR WFO, your tribute to your late mother was quite beautiful, and I wish you all the best in getting through today.

DRPannni, I too enjoyed WONDERFALLS; I looked up the leading lady, Miss Dhavernas, on the IMDB and discovered I'd known her father Sebastian Dhavernas when I first started working at Drama Book Shop in 1979!  Very handsome fellow.  Someday I'll post all the working actors I knew when they were students/waiters/caterers, etc.

Comic plays that make me laugh out loud; well I go back a ways:

1.  THE COUNTRY WIFE:  I love the rhythms and phrases of Restoration comic dialogue
2.  SCHOOL FOR SCANDAL: I saw Sheridan's THE RIVALS around 4 months ago and laughed myself silly at everything Mrs Malaprop uttered
3.  IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST
4, 5 & 6.  A FLEA IN HER EAR, THE LADY FROM MAXIM'S & HOTEL PARADISO: Georges Feydeau was the Neil Simon of Paris around 1905
7 & 8. HAY FEVER & BLITHE SPIRIT:  The menage a trois in BLITHE SPIRIT is much funnier than the menage in DESIGN FOR LIVING, maybe because one of them is dead, but PRIVATE LIVES is also a hoot
9.  ARSENIC AND OLD LACE:  sweet old ladies and murder, not to mention bad plastic surgery and Teddy Roosevelt
10 & 11.  LOOT & WHAT THE BUTLER SAW:  Joe Orton's combination of classic comic dialogue and contemporary violence is often imitated but never equalled, and ENTERTAINING MR SLOANE ain't bad either
12.  THE AMERICAN DREAM & THE SANDBOX:  mean humor, and very funny, but there's a lot of humor in VIRGINIA WOOLF, and a lot of it comes from HAY FEVER
13.  LEND ME A TENOR:  good classic farce given a modern slant
14.  NOISES OFF:  everyone in the theatre has a horrifying backstage story to amuse and terrify and Michael Frayn seems to have collected a lot of them here
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 03:39:00 AM »

I am sick....I am sick  :P.  But rehearsal will go on as planned....there just won't be so many notes.  Too late in the rehearsal process for LOTS of notes anyway!

DRJENNY if you have NOT seen CAMP, don't rush out - BUT "It's Turkey Lurkey Time" is on there - and it ROCKS!!  ;D

Favorite comedy plays.  I too LOVE "The Prisoner of Second Avenue".  I played Mel and it was so much fun...and funny!  I love the Larry Shue play "The Nerd" and David Ives has written a group of short plays called "All in the Timing".  One is WORDS WORDS WORDS about four chimpanzees with typewriters being observed....another is THE UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE in which a man is making up a language as he goes along, and by the end of the play you can understand everything he is saying.  Another is PHILIP GLASS BUYS A LOAF OF BREAD in which said playwright does said action (Several times) to Glass music in the style of ONE HUNDRED AIRPLANES ON THE ROOF.  

I will think of some more, I am sure!  When I am not sick.  But this is a start!  I am so excited about the books!  LOVING LUCY opens this week, and I will have Kritzer Time to read!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 03:39:28 AM »

See dammit - I forgot LIGHT UP THE SKY by Moss Hart!

But I still cannot understand the fondness for LEND ME A TENOR which I find unfunny and boring.  Sorry, but I do.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 03:40:35 AM by JRand53 »

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 03:45:58 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Jenny Alert!!   Jenny Alert!!!  Jenny Alert!!!  Jenny Alert!![/move]

I had no idea whatsoever that you lived in Valley Stream.  My Joe lived in Malverne and went to Valley Stream High School.  Maybe this explains why his experience with his peers in H.S. was so similar to yours--thirty years ago, mind you, but stupid snotty no-nothing kids are stupid, snotty no-nothing kids.  This is timeless.

And if you read my post from last night you will find that one of said kids from Joe's youth, his cousin, did a very noble and caring thing for Joe after all these years.  It does happen.

If you weren't off slumbering at the slumber party, I would insist that you come to the funeral this morning.  It will be at 9:45 at Our Lady of Peace at 25 Fowler Avenue, corner of Merrick Avenue, just West of Peninsula Boulevard (Britania insula est.  Italia pæne insula est.  Italia pæninsula est.--as we used to say in my High School (oo oo) days.)  Heck, you can probably walk there from your house!

Oh, and my favorite comic play has always been Hamlet.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 03:55:05 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 04:31:15 AM »

But I still cannot understand the fondness for LEND ME A TENOR which I find unfunny and boring.  Sorry, but I do.  :-[
No reason to be sorry.  Der Brucer and I were lucky to see it with a very good regional cast in Long Beach, and I'm sure the performers have a lot to do with how well LMAT plays.  (They certainly weren't hindered by the lead having been to clown school.  No, really!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 05:15:34 AM »

WFO: What a wonderful, loving mother-in-law you had. And a wonderful son-in-law she had. You and Joe are in our thoughts and prayers.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 05:22:33 AM »

A question for you computer folk out there:
Can you view and save digital pictures with a "notebook?" Can you connect to the internet with a "notebook?"

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 05:25:17 AM »

Favorite funny play:
Noises Off, which I just saw again with my DH a few weeks ago. He thought it was okay. Which is why I take DR Sandra with me to the theater instead.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 05:39:49 AM »

True dr SWW.

Condolences and strength to WFO and Joe!  Thoughts are flying your way this morning.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2004, 05:59:14 AM »

I vote for Noises Off! as well.

And the first act of The Lisbon Traviata, too!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2004, 06:06:49 AM »

Before I even begin to think of an answer to the question, does anyone know if and where the song "Ordinary Miracles" (lyrics by the Bergmans, music by Marvin Hamlisch) comes from?
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2004, 06:08:24 AM »

Favorite comedy play for me is THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.

I also love YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, NOISES OFF, and the third act of PLAZA SUITE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2004, 06:11:30 AM »

Off to rehearsal.

OMG DRJAY - on a production of LISBON TRAVIATA that I was involved with slightly, I heard the director say one night, "And then when he comes in you will be reading the hardware catalog...."  We all did a double take....I guess the script said something about Powertool magazine!  WRONG DIRECTOR for that project, let me tell you.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2004, 06:34:27 AM »

A THOUSAND CLOWNS by Herb Gardner is my favorite funny play, and one that's had a profound influence on me.

I've felt its protagonist's aversion to regular work, where you're part of the rat race, the corporate machine, and a crowded commute early in the morning.  What a treasure the movie version is, barely opened up at all, with most of the original Broadway cast with the superb Barbara Harris in for Sandy Dennis.

So, I recently forced the Dear Wife to watch it, and, while she enjoyed it, she doesn't understand the feelings that steady work is evil.  Not at all.  The problem may be that in the oh-so-minor "opening up" Murray is offered a job (being the "nut" on a panel TV show) that sounds perfect.  To Joy.  Actually, I wouldn't mind that job either, but I understood why he would walk out of the interview.

Perhaps none of this makes sense if you've not recently seen A Thousand Clowns.  Well, see it.  The cast includes many of the musical theatre stars of the time: Barbara Harris, William Daniels and John McMartin, although, in the film, Jason Robards does all the singing.

And, when I was around the boy's age, I taught myself to play Yes Sir That's My Baby on the ukelele.  That's one of those words that never feels quite done when you write it.  You just want to go on, ukelelelelelelelelelele....
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2004, 06:45:38 AM »

Good morning all!

DR WFO: You had me almost in tears again. What a beautiful tribute.

DRs Maya & Jenny: You guys are too cute!  Loved your pajama party.

DR Danise: Glad you had such a good day and congrats on your weight loss.

Hope everyone here has a good day and good vibes to all ~~~~~~~~~.

Kerry

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2004, 06:53:34 AM »

WFO:
I am there with you and Joe today in spirit and support
I like boat races.

Danise

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2004, 07:03:42 AM »

Good morning all.

That was a very lovely tribute you wrote, WFO.  I'm just so sorry you had to write it.  My thoughts are with both you and Joe.  I hope it's not to much longer and he'll be home at the very least.

My all time favorite comic play has to be "Arsenic and Old Lace".  I saw it at the TBPAC many years ago and (this is for you JRand) you'll never guess who played the bad guy.....

Jonathan Frid!  Yes, "Barnabas Collins" himself!  It was a real treat to see him and I enjoyed the show very much.   :)

Sorry I missed the PJ party.  I pooped out.  To much excitement I guess.  Hummm which reminds me--Note to self, get PJ's for trip.  

I can finely say it is a lovely day here in Sunny Florida.  Things are starting to warm up.  I'm thinking about going and buying some good dirt today to put in my flower bed tomorrow so I can start to plant my four o'clocks.  I'm so looking forward to seeing them come up.  I hope all the seeds I bought from E-bay will sprout.  I wanted the whole rainbow of colors.    

The only problem is because they are mixed, I won't know what color I'm planting next to the other.  One of life's little surprises for later on in the year I guess.  I have to take my chances.  :)

Sorry to hear about your back, BK.  I hope your hand didn't cramp from signing all the books.  You didn't mention that.    Maybe they tried to make it up to you for all the problems they gave you by getting the books to you fast.

Thank you all for the kind words about my good day yesterday.  You know, you need a day like that every once in awhile.  

Talk with you all tonight.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2004, 07:05:20 AM »

DR WFO,

What a moving tribute. Thank you so much for letting us know Mom.

Danise

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2004, 07:09:50 AM »

Just spotted this

A question for you computer folk out there:
Can you view and save digital pictures with a "notebook?" Can you connect to the internet with a "notebook?"

The answer is yes DRLaura.  I believe you can do all of those things.  A notebook is just a portable computer.  

Bruce--did anyone ever explain how to work your CD burner to you?  I always wait before I offer help on those kind of things because I think there's someone else out there who knows more than I do and I'm the type who needs to see what your working with.    If you still need help, I'll try my best to talk you through it.  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 07:10:21 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Kerry

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2004, 07:46:55 AM »

I'm pooping out at parties and want to become one of those happy peppy people who spoon their way to happiness.  What can I do?
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2004, 07:47:13 AM »

And so tasty too!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2004, 07:47:48 AM »

That last remark was meant for TCB, of course!
I like boat races.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2004, 07:51:52 AM »

Based on the many reviews here, I'm pretty sure Noises Off and Lend Me a Tenor would be on my list. It's simply that I haven't seen either one.

High on my list would be:

Black Comedy
Barefoot in the Park
Odd Couple
Loot
Present Laughter
Flea in Her Ear (there was a great Toronto (Soulpepper) production last year)
Present Laughter
The Matchmaker

And though not among the top contenders, I always enjoyed the sophisticated comedies that once were a staple of Broadway, among them Forty Carats and Any Wednesday.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2004, 07:54:49 AM »

Good morning. And that's all for now. The shower is running and I need to get under it. (I live in a guest house, as I've posted before, and it takes a few minutes for the hot water to get from the main source to here -- so I turn on the shower a few minutes before I'm ready, and do other things - like read posts - while the water heats up. 'Cept this morning I spent longer than usual reading posts and the shower's been running far too long without a showering person, namely moi, under it.) Whewww!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2004, 07:55:44 AM »

WFO - Thinking of you and Joe today.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2004, 08:06:58 AM »

Hmmm..."Winnie the Pooh and the Persnickety Day"...no, I'm not into Pooh...how about "Harry Potter and the Persnickety Day...no, Harry Potter books take place longer than a day--way longer..."A Parsnickety Day in Piscataway"...nope, I've never been to Piscataway (or Parsippany, either)...Ah, well...

Favorite Comic Play:  No contest here:  Chris Durang's Baby With the Bathwater.  No other play has ever made me laugh so much.  The runner-up is what almost everyone else has mentioned, Noises Off. I also like The Odd Couple, The Taming of the Shrew, You Can't Take It With You, Harvey, Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All To You and Shaffer's Black Comedy.

Favorite Comic Performance:  It's a toss up between Lily Tomlin in Search for Intelligent Life and Swoosie Kurtz in The House of the Blue Leaves.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2004, 08:20:12 AM »

I got back a couple of hours ago from seeing (ushering for) Reno here in Olympia.  She's a one-woman talking dynamo.  She started her show at about 7:35 and didn't stop talking AT ALL until about 9:15!  NON-STOP!  She was amazing.  It was a stream-of-consciousness-like performance of what she felt/experienced on 9/11 and afterwards.  I can't even describe it.  If you get a chance to see her perform, I highly recommend it.  She performed in the Stage II (a.k.a. The Black Box) at The Washington Center for the Performing Arts which holds about 120 people.  Only 65 tickets were sold (I actually took and counted tickets at the door) but the audience got it.  They (we) liked her and her show a lot.

I love Reno.  I first set eyes on her in an HBO special about 20 years ago (a show I still have on tape!) and she was incredibly funny.  I've seen her perfom live only twice and each time she had the audience falling off their chairs.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up