Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERSNICKETY DAY  (Read 26842 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE PERSNICKETY DAY
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2004, 09:02:26 AM »

I haven't tried using the CD burner in the computer yet - but I watched carefully because Mr. Grant Geissman has the same one and I think I understand it.  If not, yes, talk me through it.

Lovely choices - certainly I'd agree with Barefoot in the Park and The Odd Couple, Simon at his greatest.  I also like Comedy of Errors by Mr. William Shakespeare, the aforementioned The Man Who Came To Dinner (which I've done twice, playing Banjo), I remember Luv being very funny, although it probably hasn't worn well, and I saw a wonderfully funny productioin of The Waltz of the Toreadors.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2004, 09:02:58 AM »

I just noticed - I'm the only one here?  So sad to be all alone in the world?  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2004, 10:16:38 AM »

bk - As your close personal friend Mr. S. Sondheim never tires of saying, no one is alone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2004, 10:29:15 AM »

Man, what is WITH Saturdays?  You'd think it was the weekend or something.  Where are our pajama party gals, for example?

All packages are now shipped, including overseas.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2004, 10:45:09 AM »

Easily the funniest play I ever saw was NOISES OFF, the original London production with Paul Eddington and Patrica Routledge.  It was the very first production I ever saw in London.  And a few years ago, the National's revival of it was my hundredth London production.  It was just as funny that time.  I also saw a production with Paxton Whitehead (andI believe Dorothy Louden) out here at the Ahmanson. Equally as funny.  

ARSENIC & OLD LACE at the Old Globe with pal Larry Drake playing Johnathan.

MISALLIANCE at the Old Globe.  George Bernard Shaw, who knew.  Had me in Hysterics.

LEND ME A TENOR.  Can't remember where I saw it, somewhere in LA.  Want to say the Henry Fonda.

LONDON CUCKOLDS.  The National in London.  I am a huge fan of Restoration comedy.

THE RIVALS.  Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park.

MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.  Always works for me, but the best I saw was Doug Sills as Benedick at South Coast Rep.

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST.  No particular production. It always works for me.

LONDON ASSURANCE.  At the Old Globe.

PRIVATE LIVES.  an exqusite production in London, with Alan Rickman and Linsey Duncan.

Plays I have been in:

MOVE OVER MRS. MARKHAM. by Ray Cooney.  I toured in this with both Cyd Charisse & Yvonne De Carlo.  It is just a raucous British sex farce.   Very funny and a joy to do every night.

COMEDY OF ERRORS.  A play I never much cared for, until I did it.

Plays I saw on Video/DVD/ or TV:

TAMING OF THE SHREW.  ACT's production is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.  Starred Marc Singer as Petruchio.

COMEDY OF ERRORS.  A version with The Flying Karamozov Brothers.  Hysterical.

I'm sure there are lots more, but I'll have to prompt my memory by ferretting through my programmes.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2004, 10:57:30 AM »

A FEW OTHER FUNNY PLAYS I HAVE SEEN:

THE PLAY'S THE THING by Fredric Molnar.  Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park.

3 MEN ON A HORSE.  Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park.

MONEY by Edward Bulwer Lytton.  The National. London.

THE PLAY WHAT I WROTE.  London.

PRESENT LAUGHTER.  Noel Coward. Starring Peter Bowles.  London.

WILD OATS. National. London.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2004, 11:10:29 AM »

It's at times like these that I kick myself yet again for throwing out more than thirty years of playbills. THWACK! That's the sound of Anna hitting her head against the wall. I can't really say what the funniest I've seen on stage is/are. I was unlucky enough to see a mediocre production of NOISES OFF. I'd still love to see an excellent one.
IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST at Stratford with the great William Hutt as Lady Bracknell is up there.
Again at Stratford - and I bet no one else will have this on their list - THE THREE MUSKETEERS - directed by John Hirsch - you couldn't come up for air. If I remember correctly, Douglas Rain, the voice of HAL, played D'Artagnan.
I once, while visiting Hungary, saw THE SUNSHINE BOYS, in Hungarian. Not the funniest play ever written. BUT I've never heard and audience enjoy a comedy as much. Waves of laughter. And it says something for the way Simon structures his jokes, that even when the punchline was a brand-name (Ex-Lax, for example) that they couldn't possible have known back then in Budapest, he still got the laugh. So much of comedy is rhythm. If the build and rhythm are perfect (and that's hard to do, man) - the laugh comes. (Assuming you've said something mildly funny. Although I see perfect sense in DR Kerry calling Hamlet his favorite comedy.)
I didn't mean to go into a lecture on comedy writing. And now I have to go. So more later on favorites.
THWACK! (One more for the road.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 11:17:00 AM by Panni »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2004, 11:29:52 AM »

I just noticed - I'm the only one here?  So sad to be all alone in the world?  

Talk about a co-inky-dink!  This morning I was babysitting a friend's two children and at the exact time you posted this (9:02:58), we were watching "Thoroughly Modern Millie"!  Amazing!  We actually started watching at about 8:45 a.m.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2004, 11:33:28 AM »

Panni, I believe I saw a PBS airing of that Stratford THREE MUSKETEERS and it was very good.  Did it also have occasional songs.  It might have been a Guthrie production but I remember it being funnier than I would have imagined.  I think I saw it when I was in college so that would have been late sixties/early seventies.

George

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2004, 11:48:46 AM »

Before I even begin to think of an answer to the question, does anyone know if and where the song "Ordinary Miracles" (lyrics by the Bergmans, music by Marvin Hamlisch) comes from?

I think it was just a song written for Barbra Streisand.  As far as I know, it's not "from" anything.  Or did you want to know the specific recording that it was on?  I can't help you there.  Anyone else know?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 11:55:08 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2004, 11:54:18 AM »

Favorite comedies (non-musicals)?  

Noises Off.  I played Tim Allgood in a community theater production of this about 10 years ago and it was a hoot!  I also saw a very good production when I was in college about five years before that.

I saw a not so good local production of “Lend Me a Tenor” but could tell that the material was better than the performers.  Especially since I knew some of the performers and knew that they weren't very good actors(shhh...don't tell them!)

Two more favorite comedies:  The Odd Couple and the non-musical version of Kiss Me Kate (a.k.a. "The Taming of the Shrew")

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2004, 11:57:42 AM »

I suspect it's truly horrid today, but as a kid there was a comedy called Under the Yum Yum Tree that I found really funny (it's in Kritzer Time).  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2004, 12:01:38 PM »

Tomovoz my favorite birthday cake is an ice ream cake, usually made with white cake and chocolate chip ice cream.  In the east coast, Carvel’s (the same Carvel’s Dan-the Man mentioned) makes has an ice cream cake made with the best vanilla and layered with chocolate crunchies which is my all time favorite ice cream cake.

William F Orr, thank you for sharing your tribute to Joe’s mother with us.  I am sitting here crying it was so beautiful.

THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER
NOISES OFF
THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT (Keith & I saw this on our first date-so long ago I’m not sure if I would laugh as hard today.)

Charles Pogue

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2004, 12:03:13 PM »

BK, when are you making your book delivery to Bookfellows or have you already?

William E. Lurie

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2004, 12:18:11 PM »

I have to concur with other DRs: NOISES OFF and LEND ME A TENOR.  Funniest Musical: MINNIE'S BOYS.

I'm thrilled that the books went out early BK.  I have about 100 pages left on ACT ONE (have not read in over 40 years - most of it holds up fine) and by the time I get KRITZER TIME I should be ready to move it to the top of my "to read" pile.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2004, 12:32:12 PM »

Echo and I are heading out for our weekly visit to the nursing home, but first we have an important stop to make at the book store.  My copy of Dragonheart has arrived.  I look forward to reading the script as it was intended to be seen.  

Charles Pogue

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2004, 12:34:55 PM »

Jane, is it the script you bought or the novel?

Jane

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2004, 12:40:25 PM »

:D I think it's the script but I'm not sure since she couldn't tell the difference when she ordered it.  I should have called back when the owner of the store was there.  I will let you know when I return home with it.  Do you suggest one over the other?  I don't mind having both.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2004, 12:47:52 PM »

The script is great, but the novel (out of print) is the definitive version.

Tomovoz

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2004, 12:48:52 PM »

DR Kerry: "Ordinary Miracles" sounds like it was written for "Yentle".  The song surfaced in Barbra's 1994 concert tour and and was issued with a live and studio version on a 4 track CD as well as "The Concert" Cd.
Tim Draxyl also sings the song and the liner notes for his album "Ordinary Miracles" just says "A love song introduced by Barbra Streisand during her historic live concerts of the mid 1990s"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2004, 12:52:43 PM »

Funny plays:
"Private Lives" - Maggies Smith was superb as Amanda.
"Habeus Corpus" - Alec Guiness.
"The Norman Conquests" trilogy
"Absurd Person Singlular"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2004, 12:53:10 PM »

The script is great, but the novel (out of print) is the definitive version.

Thanks.  If it isn't the novel then I will buy that as well.

Tomovoz

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2004, 12:57:02 PM »

Man, what is WITH Saturdays?  You'd think it was the weekend or something.  Where are our pajama party gals, for example?

All packages are now shipped, including overseas.
A man who has his Saturday priorities right. Thanks BK.

I can't help with the what is WITH Saturdays question as the "problem" seems to be on a Sunday in upside down land. I've always thought it was because people were not at their "work station" computers escaping into the real world of HHW .
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2004, 01:07:28 PM »

I have been having the most exciting Saturday. First I got the oil changed in the car; then I looked at notebooks (Thanks, Danise). Then I went to the pet store and petted a dog, since I miss mine.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2004, 01:27:40 PM »

For DRs Danise and Jose:  I found low carb ice cream at Club Price today. They only have vanilla, but it's better than nothing.  Unfortunately since I was not going home afterwards, I could not buy it.  IT said it had 7g carbs for 125ml little serving.  And it was like $5 Cdn for a small container (I think 1L).  Yeah for ice cream!

Tomovoz

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2004, 01:31:09 PM »

It's going to be a great day. A few mentions of ice-cream already.
DR Laura are you ready for a new dog yet?
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2004, 01:46:30 PM »

Wow, funniest plays, that is tough!  There are so many wonderful ones, like Taming of the Shrew and The Importance of Being Earnest that are real classics and that still hold up very well, as do several of Molliere's.

More recent comdeies would be:

Black Comedy
Present Laughter
Lend Me A Tenor
The Man Who Came to Dinner
The Odd Couple
Barefoot In The Park
Auntie Mame

But, still the funniest play I have ever seen, mainly because I hadn't a clue what I was about to see when I saw it the first time in London -- Noises Off
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2004, 01:52:53 PM »

Good afternoon, Jed!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2004, 01:57:48 PM »

Good afternoon, Tom(s)!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 01:58:12 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2004, 02:04:16 PM »

Well, from how often they're showing up on lists, I can see that I have a few plays with which I must make myself familiar!  I don't know from THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER or even BAREFOOT IN THE PARK, which seem to be popular choices today.  

For those I do know, I have to add yet another vote for NOISES OFF, simply one of the funniest things ever written, IMHO.  Like JRand, I'm also a great fan of David Ives and his "All in the Timing" set of play-lettes, particularly THE UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE, SURE THING, and THE PHILADELPHIA.

As for LEND ME A TENOR, I saw it probably 12 years ago or so, and I don't really remember it all that well.  I remember finding it amusing, but nothing all that great.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up