Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERSNICKETY DAY  (Read 26831 times)

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
Re:THE PERSNICKETY DAY
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2004, 06:08:46 PM »

Joe's family sound* like wonderful people.

We were telling them Joe was in hospital, because he didn't want the present situation to be general knowledge (no, none of them are browsing this board, I can assure you), and all these people I've only seen at a wedding or two years ago were coming up to me and offering their sympathies as though I were Julia's son.

I know that you've written before about Joe's situation, but I must not have read the post because I was under that impression that Joe is in the hospital.  Did I just misunderstand this post or is he somewhere else?

*Sounds?
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Michael

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2004, 06:09:23 PM »

I also enjoyed Noises Off and Lend Me a Tenor. I would like to add two plays by Tom Stoppard Dogg's Hamlet and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2004, 06:14:45 PM »

To my fellow Canadians. I was informed by my father today that actor Jack Creley died this week. He had been on Broadway in Man For All Seasons, such films as Dr. Strangelove and Videodrome. On Canadian TV he was the hotel manager in the comedy series  Snow Job and also appeared in the film version of Stephen Schwartz's The Magic Show.

And he also appeared on an episode of The King of Kennsington Street a series that DR Anna wrote for. For Horror fans he was the original shop owner that had all the evil artificats in Friday 13th: The Series.
Never stop dreaming.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2004, 06:17:49 PM »

Panni---
I read ACT ONE when it first came out.  In fact I remember that it was the book I was reading on the way to start college.  A couple of months ago I found it in a catalogue of cut-outs (the most recent printing with several typos) and decided to read it again since I had recently read the bio of Hart.  I found ACT ONE a little hard to get into while he was talking about his childhood and camp social directing, but once he completed ONCE IN A LIFETIME and hooked up with Kaufman it is a great book.  I also saw the movie recently on cable and it is terrible.  Jason Robards as Kaufman was great, but suntan king George Hamilton as Hart?  I don't think so.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2004, 06:23:28 PM »

I'm going to post John Hirsch's theater musings now, rather than waiting (Notes on him appear on the previous page).... And for the few of you who might find that what he wrote sounds just too, too… The raunchiest, funniest production I ever saw of A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON MY WAY TO THE FORUM, was directed by John.

By John Hirsch - Excerpted from A TRIBUTE TO J. H.:

Theatre is for the ongoing illumination of man: his problems, his dreams, his visions, the society which lifts him, his relationship to God. The is what theatre is about. It is also a celebration, communally, of all the values which society holds. To be truly human has to be learned, and has to be learned over and over again. And one of the places where we learn about being human is in the theatre.

As for the classics, if you’re going to do theatre, you should spend a lot of time doing the best. I just revel in the opportunity to come into the company of these great works. They kept me sane and helped me make sense of my life. If I hadn’t been working on the plays of Shakespeare, Chekov, Brecht and the other masters, I believe I would have gone crazy, because I could not deal with my experiences of the war and the Holocaust directly. All these experiences are at the centre of the plays, whether it’s the destruction of and disappearance of a society as in Chekhov, or tragedy of a personal kind in Shakespeare. Doing these plays became an ongoing meditation on what happened to me, an ongoing spiritual experience. I have always been an archeologist of my soul. The plays help in this exploration, which is the process of healing myself.

If your emotions, mind and sprit, as well as your senses, are not fed in the theatre, if you are not nurtured by some great vision clearly important to your existence, what the hell is theatre for?  I’ve been lucky. I’m very fortunate to have directed plays that I loved, to have worked with artist of extraordinary ability. These are the great pleasures of being in the theatre – to spend most of your time in the company of passionate, brilliant, talented and committed people. It spoils your for life.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2004, 06:25:06 PM »

Thank you for the note about Jack Creley, Michael Shayne. Yes, I worked with him a number of times, both as an actress and as a writer. Very sad.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 06:26:16 PM by Panni »

Michael

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2004, 06:29:36 PM »

Thank you for the note about Jack Creley, Michael Shayne. Yes, I worked with him a number of times, both as an actress and as a writer. Very sad.

I has the opportunity to work with him for a year on the TV series Snow Job where I was an assitant to the writers and producers. I saw his ups and his downs.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2004, 06:29:48 PM »

DR Danise I am GREEN - GREEN with envy I tell you - that you saw Mr Jonathan Frid in Arsenic & Old Lace.

I am also sick sick sick.... :P but that is a different story.  I decided to watch my video of Bells Are Ringing.  It is helping1

DRKerry - I would suggest Vitameatavegamin....with Vitameatavegamin it's easy to spoon your way to health!

It's so tasty, too.  Taste just like candy....Honest!!

I can't get through the Guy Haines CD!  Does anyone know why?  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2004, 07:05:10 PM »

Good health vibes to you JRand. Is Guy making you feel worse? Is it because you are "Gettin' Nowhere Fast"?  Do you not get past the beautiful rendition od Randy Newman's "Marie"? Does the thought of Chinese Food in Bed" make you want to....? I do hope "Terminal" is nothing to do with the answer.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2004, 07:05:40 PM »

We shopped at a favorite European cheese store this morning, and a bag of "Sweet Hungarian Paprika" caught Gord's eye. That inspired him to prepare Chicken Paprikash - and invite some neighbors over for an impromptu dinner. By coincidence, last night I baked DR Panni's scrumptious chocolate cake with a walnut crust. (Some months back, DR P had contributed the recipe for the benefit of DR RLP. The way I found it was Member List/Panni/Search/Bottom Layer.) So, without planning one, we've wound up with a Hungarian meal, which will be served in about half an hour. Music suggestions anyone?

Damn it, Dan!  I missed dinner.  I love Chicken Paprikash!  Does Gord serve it with those little dumplings that you make in boiling water?  My dear dear friend, Lorna, who passed away almost two years ago, used to make the most fantastic Chicken Paprikash. I could eat three plates of the stuff.  God, I miss it, but I miss Lorna more.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2004, 07:09:33 PM »

I'm back Jane. Our ice cream cakes are JUST ICE-CREAM. There is no cake involved. They are just made to look like cakes. They are usually pre-ordered for a suitable design - racing car, teddy bear etc.

Are they decorated at all?  Ours have frosting on them.  For my youngest sons 6th birthday I baked a white cake in a Care Bear pan (did children watch the Care Bear's there?).  Once the cake was cooled, out of the pan, I topped it with my son's favorite butterscotch ice cream from a local dairy and froze them together.  Then I took the cake out of the freezer, and as fast as I was capable, I frosted the cake to look like a Care Bear.  That cake was in and out of the freezer multiple times until I was done.  I have a photo of it some place.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2004, 07:15:50 PM »

Mmmm... now I'm hungry for the ENORMOUS scallops I had at Joe Allen's.

Well, thank God, Jed, that you didn't have ENORMOUS shrimp.  I never know what size they are supposed to be.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2004, 07:17:37 PM »

Mmmm... now I'm hungry for the ENORMOUS scallops I had at Joe Allen's.

I’m going to be sick.  This is worse than those strange peanut butter sandwiches.  I must have been about 10 years old when my mother tried to make me eat scallops.  She made me sit at the dinner table, after everyone had left, until I ate my scallops.  I sat there until bed time and from then on she served me tuna while the rest of the family ate the scallops.  I had tried telling her I was allergic to them but it didn’t work.  Thank goodness it does with everyone else though.  ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2004, 07:28:56 PM »

I’m going to be sick.  This is worse than those strange peanut butter sandwiches.  I must have been about 10 years old when my mother tried to make me eat scallops.  She made me sit at the dinner table, after everyone had left, until I ate my scallops.  I sat there until bed time and from then on she served me tuna while the rest of the family ate the scallops.  I had tried telling her I was allergic to them but it didn’t work.  Thank goodness it does with everyone else though.  ;D

Well, the cat is out of the bag now, Missy.  From this moment on, the entire world will know that your "scallop allergy" is sheer bunk!  I wouldn't be suprised if the Scallop Institute of America (SCIA) didn't  sue you for false allergies.
“One thing’s universal,

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2004, 07:29:07 PM »

Micahel Shayne,  I also find ROSENCRANTZ & GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD very funny.  Stoppard is probably my favourite present-day playwright (along with Peter Shaffer).  He is brilliantly witty, devastatingly intellectual, and, despite the specious clap-trap that you hear about him being cold, his play are very emotional.  Two of the most moving plays I've ever seen are THE REAL THING & ARCADIA.

Another funny play I saw a few years ago in London was FALLEN ANGELS by Noel Coward. Felicity Kendall and Frances DeLaTour had one of the best act two drunk scenes I ever saw.

Robin

« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2004, 07:32:54 PM »

My favorite comedy (musical) would be A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.  Favorite (non-musical) comedy would be Noises Off.  Sorry for not being surprising.  I once read a script for a play called Viva Leche! which was utterly hilarious, but I've never seen a production of it, so I doubt it actually works when staged.  

Today was Movie Marathon Day...the Significant Other and I went out to see Secret Window and The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra and came back home to watch the deeveedees of Lon Chaney's Ace of Hearts and Myra Breckinridge.  Didn't care for the first, liked the second and third quite a bit, and found the fourth to be an incredible (if entertaining) misfire.  (But any movie in which Rex Reed is sex-changed into Raquel Welch certainly has chutzpah, if nothing else.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2004, 07:40:51 PM »

LOL Actually tomovoz - I can't get through the Guy Haines CD because I keep going back to listen to tracks several times!  

Jane

« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2004, 07:41:48 PM »

TCB-ROTFLOL :D

Penny O has been driving all day and will be here in a few minutes.  We are about half way between LA and her home, making us a great stop for the night.  I’m sorry to say we won’t be having a fun pajama party since we are all early risers. Come to think of it, we didn’t have them in high school when she spent the night with me.  I do recall one particular night she spent at my house.  It was the night Bruce called to tell me he had been in a car accident.   If you didn’t read the excerpt from KRITZERTIME you will now have to read the book.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2004, 07:41:49 PM »

DR Robin how was CADAVRA?  And do you know what movie Mr Tor Johnson was in with Miss Allison Hayes?

Jane

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2004, 07:49:17 PM »

Penny O is here!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2004, 07:57:25 PM »

I'm currently watching an interesting special (pledge week!) on PBS, LOST TREASURES OF BROADWAY.  They keep talking about 5 numbers on the tape/DVD they can't show (because they keep cutting in for pledge breaks!).

Robin

« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2004, 07:58:45 PM »

DR Robin how was CADAVRA?  And do you know what movie Mr Tor Johnson was in with Miss Allison Hayes?

That would be The Unearthly.  

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra seems to have been made for me, personnally.  I have a weakness in my heart (or my head) for low-budget '50's SF films, so I was predisposed to like it; and they do a good job with all of the faux-Ed Wood dialogue, the cheap SFX, and so many other cliches of the genre.  And the audience seemed to like it almost as much as I did.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2004, 08:10:09 PM »

Book delivery has been made to Bookfellows.  We also, for a couple of reasons, moved the signing there up by one week, to the original date I'd wanted, April 10.  

Hoo and ray!  And Ray and hoo!  I'm going to be out of town on the 17th, but will be able to make the big extravaganza on the 10th.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2004, 08:21:02 PM »

Ooooohhhhh.  Shades of Mommie Dearest.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2004, 08:22:40 PM »

Enjoyed the new interview.  Although, you begin to sound like the old Match Game if you say "The man who originally conducted Robert Klein sining the song 'Fill in the Words' was named BLANK."

Last night, we ate at a Hungarian restaurant in Hellertown, PA.  I'm sure even Panni would be horrified, as it brought new meaning to the phrase, those who forget their repast are condemned to repeat it.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jay

« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2004, 08:30:55 PM »

And where, Dear Reader Noel, has your Dear Wife Dear Reader Joy been hiding?  We haven't seen posts from her in waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

Jay

« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2004, 08:32:20 PM »

I'm trying to envision this reunion of Dear Reader Jane and Dear Reader Penny O.  Oh, to be a fly on that wall!

Jay

« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2004, 08:43:05 PM »

I stopped in at L.A.'s Museum of Contemporary Art today, Dear Readers, to see a major show--the museum touts it as "the first large-scale historical examination"--devoted to Minimalist art from 1958 to 1968.  I try and I try, but with the exception of a few pieces here and there, I never seem to arrive at a point of satisfactory understanding when it comes to this movement.  Can some Dear Reader explain it to me?

Jane

« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2004, 08:57:10 PM »

Wanna be Fly on the Wall, we are having a great time discussing the HHW gang.  
Keith said to tell Penny won't eat rice and beans-guess why ;D
Penny says-here is Penny to tell in her own words.

Hiya, gang. So here I sit in Jane's and Keith's kitchen. Walk in, right away they feed ya. Then it's Ice Cream. oy. But we did listen to Ann's recital - lovely voice, grand choices of material. Some of my faves - I Remember is one I'll have to add now. Such a lot of talent on this here list, dontcha think?

Okay, so it's nighty night for Bonzo, here. I've been sitting in the car since 9:30 this morning. But I made good time, the weather was swell, and I'm in Ashland! What could be bad about that??? Nite, gang.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2004, 09:02:31 PM »

BROADWAY'S LOST TREASURES with all those Tony Award show excerpts is going around for the second time on PBS obviously, as it showed the last time last summer/early fall. I bought the DVD used with the extra numbers on it, and they are worth the price of the DVD: the title number to APPLAUSE with Bonnie Franklin looking incredibly young, Barbara Harris' "Movie Star/Gorgeous" transformation scene from THE APPLE TREE, Patti LuPone's "Buenos Aires," "Easy Street" from ANNIE with Dorothy Loudon, and the Jimmy McHugh medley from Act II of SUGAR BABIES with Miller and Rooney.

One had hoped we'd get "Always Madamoiselle" from COCO, "I Hope I Get It" from A CHORUS LINE, "Nobody's Perfect" from I DO! I DO! and lots of other choicer moments, but maybe they're coming in another installment of the show coming this fall. At least, that's what I've heard.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up