Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SINGER, NOT THE SONG  (Read 58889 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re: THE SINGER, NOT THE SONG
« Reply #240 on: March 11, 2009, 06:03:42 PM »

Two DVD arrivals in today's mail prompted the following, in a discussion, but I'll spare everyone the details and cut to the conclusion:

Murder By Death has an all-star cast playing as an ensemble.

Jeffrey has a group of lead players (Steven Weber, Michael T. Weiss, Patrick Stewart, Bryan Batt) and a long list of cameo players.

There is a difference.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #241 on: March 11, 2009, 06:05:42 PM »

And, with that, I am being exciled to the back room whist der B records all sorts of stuff and watches American Yodel.

(another way of saying I'm wussburgering.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #242 on: March 11, 2009, 06:10:23 PM »

This is something that I could really use.

So, DR George, if I send you my free extra copy, I can say, "Lesson learned"??     :D

I would be happy to help you learn a lesson. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #243 on: March 11, 2009, 06:31:21 PM »

DR Druxy, I have a friend (Yes, one!) who is a wonderful actor.  I was telling him about your play TRACY.  He was very excited.  He wanted to know how he could get a copy of the script.  He would be terrific as Spencer Tracy.  He played opposite me in INHERIT THE WIND.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #244 on: March 11, 2009, 06:39:04 PM »

Back from the long jog, and I guess I'll address some more packages.  Had a few e-mails from Sondheim this morning about Illya - he's been going through his files, but he's really unclear whether any of his stuff ended up in the show - he told me what he worked on and I'm sending him mp3s of the LP versions of those numbers so he can check it against his lyrics and notes.

BK, even if his lyrics hadn't been used or recorded, could you record them with an appropriate singer as a bonus track?

No, because he doesn't have the music, only his lyric sketches.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #245 on: March 11, 2009, 06:41:32 PM »

Addressing is finished!  I had a very good Mexican lunch at Casa Vega before helper arrived - I hadn't eaten Mexican food since starting my diet last July, and boy was it good.  Happily, I did my four miles and I should be fine and have no need to eat anything else tonight, except maybe for some fruit.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #246 on: March 11, 2009, 06:48:42 PM »

Who was left off the album, and why?  Is the producer holding his entire package for a fabulous price?

It involves the the actor, someone in charge of the event, and his girlfriend. that's all I know.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #247 on: March 11, 2009, 07:16:58 PM »

Jose, Gabe is only 12, and due to those pesky child labor laws, is too young to work.  Therefore, having him "pay" for it means me paying for it. :)

DR JMK - You could always consider it part of Gabe's allowance. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #248 on: March 11, 2009, 07:18:02 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from the drab and dreary Delta terminal at LGA...

The car service ride over was OK, but... He answered an incoming call on his cellphone without a hands-free device. -I immediately called him on it, "That's illegal! If you get pulled over..." Then he switched to speaker-phone. Then once we got to LGA he had to loop the airport since he could not read/follow the arrows to the D(elta) terminal. So... No Tip! -And I think that was the first time I did not tip a driver, however, I could tell he knew not to expect one.

If you would just request Gouda, you wouldn't have these driver problems.

DR MBarnum - The problem is when I asked for "Gouda", they asked me, "Which one?"

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #249 on: March 11, 2009, 07:18:50 PM »

It looks like the move to Austin is going to be postponed for a few days.

Although the loan for the sale of our Los Angeles house has been approved and "locked," the documents have not been signed yet, which means that escrow can't close before next week.  So, instead of starting our 5-day drive on Sunday (15), it probably won't begin until the latter part of the week.

:(

There's always something, isn't there?
At least you aren't making the drive with five dogs in the car!

(No, seriously, der B and I drove from Long Beach to Delaware with five dogs in tow, five and a half years ago.)

2 dogs and a cat are bad enough.
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #250 on: March 11, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »

DR elmore - There is a nice Appreciation of John McGlinn here:

http://www.steynonline.com/content/view/1798/28/

Thank you, DR Jose!

You're most welcome, DR elmore.

*I was actually tipped off to that article via a post on Facebook.  And said post on Facebook was posted by a former DR of this here site - who, it appears, also knew John McGlinn.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #251 on: March 11, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »

Although the loan for the sale of our Los Angeles house has been approved and "locked," the documents have not been signed yet, which means that escrow can't close before next week.  So, instead of starting our 5-day drive on Sunday (15), it probably won't begin until the latter part of the week.

(No, seriously, der B and I drove from Long Beach to Delaware with five dogs in tow, five and a half years ago.)

Have you decided to drive with them?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #252 on: March 11, 2009, 07:23:28 PM »

How many here are holding their entire package for a fabulous price?

I was, but I kept having to slash the price.

Going once... Going twice...

Going once... Going twice...

Going once... Going twice... Going three times...

Is this thing on?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #253 on: March 11, 2009, 07:23:39 PM »

'night

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #254 on: March 11, 2009, 07:24:06 PM »

DR MBarnum - Of course, you know very well that I would gladly hold your package at any price.  Preferably free.
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2009, 07:27:56 PM »

DR Druxy, I have a friend (Yes, one!) who is a wonderful actor.  I was telling him about your play TRACY.  He was very excited.  He wanted to know how he could get a copy of the script.  He would be terrific as Spencer Tracy.  He played opposite me in INHERIT THE WIND.

He can go to my website where all my 1-person (and multiple person) plays are listed.

http://pw1.netcom.com/~druxy/

However, since all my master copies are packed for the move, I'm not going to be able to service his request for a couple of months. 

Unfortunately, several of the plays [trACY, (Clark) GABLE, (Clara) BOW & (Errol) FLYNN] were written before I owned a computer, so I have to photocopy them individually...which I can't do until they're unpacked.

Thanks for telling your friend.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:31:54 PM by Druxy »

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #256 on: March 11, 2009, 07:30:23 PM »

Have you decided to drive with them?

That is the plan.

George

« Reply #257 on: March 11, 2009, 07:33:49 PM »

DR MBarnum - Of course, you know very well that I would gladly hold your package at any price.  Preferably free.

You're not the only one! :D

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2009, 07:34:57 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings, once again, from Charleston, South Carolina!

I'm currently at the rehearsal studio taking advantage of the wireless internet set-up here since it's not yet set up at the apartment.  However, as I briefly mentioned earlier, it's a nice apartment.  It's part of a complex, Edgewater Plantation.  Part of the complex is designated as "condo", and another part acts as corporate housing. (I'm in the corporate housing section.)  It's a nice one bedroom, with a kitchen-living room-dining area, washer/dryer, full bath, and I even have a small screened in porch which overlooks the parking lot and the other units in the "Plantation".

I'm driving a Mazda Millenia - good, small car.  It has a moon/sun roof, and since it's a full moon tonight...

I've done a little exploring of the area around my apartment and the rehearsal studios - which truly does feel like exploring since everything is set back from the road, so it's hard to see what's really there unless you turn onto each access road.  All the basic amenities are here: Target, Wal-Mart, Whole Foods, Publix, Harris Teeter, TJ Maxx, Steinmart, etc., etc., etc.  I ended up dining at Brixx Pizza tonight - decent franchise-chain salad and pizza, and picked up a copy of the Charleston City Paper to start getting a better idea of more local food options.

Again, as I said earlier: so far, so good.  (Ah, a No Way To Treat A Lady reference.)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #259 on: March 11, 2009, 07:35:26 PM »

And on that note (F-flat...yes, F-flat!), I'm outta here!

Until later!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #260 on: March 11, 2009, 07:36:03 PM »

DR Druxy - I hope your house and closing issues are resolved sooner rather than later.

~~V~I~B~E~S~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #261 on: March 11, 2009, 07:43:25 PM »

OH!

And I got a look at my rehearsal schedule for the next couple of weeks.  The director had told me that I would have plenty of free time, and, boy, will I have plenty of free time!  Some days, I have a brief rehearsal in the morning for an hour or two, then I come back in the evening for a 7:00-10:00 one.  Otherwise, most of the rehearsals are from 7:00-10:00 in the evening, with longer rehearsal days on Saturday and Sunday to accommodate the local actors in the cast.

The rehearsal studio is just a few minutes away from downtown Charleston, so it looks like I'll be able to check everything out during the day before heading to rehearsal in the evening.  I also didn't realize that I'm only 90 minutes from Savannah, GA - Day Trip!

*The one and only time I've been to Savannah was back in 1994 - it was my first SETC!  I still remember flying out of DC in a snow and ice storm, and then landing in almost summer-like conditions in Savannah.  I think I even bought non-winter shirts when I got there.  It will be nice to head back there and see more of the city - especially since all I really saw back then were the two hotels, the two hotel ballrooms and the canal walk area which connected the two venues.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:47:46 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #262 on: March 11, 2009, 07:47:05 PM »

Well, I think I'm going to take a drive over the Cooper River/Arthur Ravenal, Jr. Bridge into Charleston proper.  I just want to take a brief drive around there before heading back to my apartment and getting a good night's sleep.  -I have a production meeting in the morning at 9:00am.

Just in case I don't happen to post again from my apartment via my iPhone...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #263 on: March 11, 2009, 07:57:34 PM »

DR MBarnum, I think you will like LIFE ON MARS tonight!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2009, 07:57:54 PM »

I'm enjoying Life on Mars...

Cillaliz

« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2009, 07:58:20 PM »

DR Jose, sounds like a great gig.  Have a fabulous time

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2009, 08:07:27 PM »

I just got Arthur Laurents' bitchy new book on directing. Evil as ever.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2009, 08:46:59 PM »

I had an enjoyable evening of viewing. I began with THE THREE FACES OF EVE on DVD. Hadn't watched the whole movie in a long time, and I enjoyed seeing it again.

It's a flashy role for Joanne Woodward, but honestly, I wouldn't have given her the Oscar for this. I would have given it to Deborah Kerr for HEAVEN KNOWS, MR. ALLISON.

Woodward would have won my OScar for SUMEMR WISHES, WINTER DREAMS.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2009, 08:47:57 PM »

Then I watched another episode of THE UNIVERSE. This was the episode on Jupiter with lots of information I didn't know. Quite fascinating.

Matt H.

« Reply #269 on: March 11, 2009, 08:48:50 PM »

Next, I watched tonight's LIFE. I figured out the mystery before the revelation, but it was still an entertaining episode.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up