Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS NECK OF THE WOODS  (Read 51014 times)

Robin

Re:THIS NECK OF THE WOODS
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2004, 08:34:11 AM »

DR Robin Anderson, How are you feeling?

Doin' just fine, and thank you for asking!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2004, 08:34:49 AM »

Ooooh, ooooh!

Page 2!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2004, 08:35:06 AM »

DEAR LURKER BRIAN CRANE:

we know you're out there, oh yes we do, taking note of all we post.  For, you see, last week DR DerBrucer posted a little story with the line "How about giving a senior citizen a break here?" and what do I find when I open my Sunday paper?  Why, the very same story in your comic strip Pickles® and also at your web site: http://www.comics.com/wash/pickles/

Delurk, you rascal, you, and give credit where credit is due.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2004, 08:38:25 AM »

Three more glorious shots, all from Mr. Orson Welles' Citizen Kane:

--The sweeping shot of the roof-top signs that then descends through (!) the skylight to land on the broken Susan

--The remarkably efficient sequence of shots at the breakfast table that depicts the disintegration of the Kanes' marriage

--The shot that rises, rises, rises (that is three riseses) through the opera house flies as Susan makes her ill-fated operatic debut
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 08:43:06 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Danise

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2004, 08:41:26 AM »

Good morning all!

I have to start with a request to DR DERBRUCER,  I can't find that link you posted about what you can and can't take on the plane.  I thought it was sometime this past week but I can't get my fingers on it.  Would you please repost that?  Or E-mail/PM it to me?  Many thanks.

I have to run.  I didn't get my dirt yesterday--there was a very young gal at the garden center who couldn't find the right code so I just left.  I want to go someplace else today and hopefully get the flower bed done this afternoon.   :)

Bruce, what program do you have to do your CD burning?  I have Roxio Easy CD Creater 5.  

Have a good day all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2004, 08:45:48 AM »

Very astute, DRJay.

Panni

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2004, 08:49:16 AM »

Ooops (Spoo) - I missed an entire page of posts in my response to Jay. I thought I would be the post right after his on the previous page - and was referring to his pointing out my "subconscious" summing up of the final shot of CITY LIGHTS.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 08:52:02 AM by Panni »

Kerry

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2004, 08:51:35 AM »

DRLaura-- You know Sugar is ALWAYS hre for you to pet.  You can see her on Wednesday.

Jack, I STILL want to know why you might have trouble getting through the metal detector at the airport.  I'll make it worth your while to let me know. ;>)

There are so many great shots in movies. Sometime I'd like to discuss favorite movie moments (whether or not the film itslef was good).  But favorite moments.  One day dramas perhaps, the next day comedy moments.

WFO--- Joe will be out in time for KRITZER TIME!
I like boat races.

Panni

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2004, 08:54:56 AM »

SHOTS - No one has yet mentioned the series of incredible close-ups of Monty (remember, Jay, we're sharing) and Elizabeth Taylor in A PLACE IN THE SUN.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2004, 09:11:38 AM »

Back from the Vet.  Phoebe behaved beautifully.  She got a clean bill of health except for the fact that she gained 11 pounds in the last year --- way too much for a dog her size.  Some of it is "winter weight" since she could not get as much exercise, but we are going to cut down of the "people food" leftovers we give her as well.

Favorite shot?  Has anyone mentioned the crane shot at the hospital in GONE WITH THE WIND?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2004, 09:31:05 AM »

Lovely postings all on this Sunday morning.

Several of the shots listed are interesting as they are not quite what they seem.  The Citizen Kane shot is not continuous as it appears, there's a dissolve in the middle of it (covered by lightning) as it goes from a miniature to the set.  It's the conception that's brilliant.  Same with the shot in Psycho, in which the camera doesn't turn at all.  The turn was done optically and then the shot starts with the pull back.  Again, the conception is nothing less than brilliant.  

The City Lights moment is one of the most profound in all of cinema.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2004, 10:09:37 AM »

I log on forty minutes after my last post and there is not ONE post made since.

Goodbye Cruel World.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2004, 10:17:17 AM »

A question of the day. Over the weekend I've enjoyed reading about HHW visits - DRs Jenny, Maya, S. Woody White and Der Brucer. Though I've established some wonderful friendships, I've yet to have a face-to-face meeting with someone I've met online. Any exceptional experiences - positive or negative?

I had a very positive experience when I med Jay last year.  :) I hope to see him again in May and meet more of the L.A. Kimlets.

Jane

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2004, 10:25:21 AM »

Tomovoz I like your no carb diet.  I shall pass it along to my friends.
Fosca is also a cutie.

Robin Anderson I’m glad you are fine.  I know someone who didn’t take care of himself after a concussion and has been having seizures.

Penny O left at nine this morning to head on home.  It is another beautiful day for a drive.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2004, 10:35:34 AM »

I had a very positive experience when I med Jay last year.  :) I hope to see him again in May and meet more of the L.A. Kimlets.

The feeling is mutual, my Dear Jane!

I've had the honor of meeting in person, through this here site (the almost most popular site in all of internetdom) and through Dear BK's hospitality:  Dear BK himself, Dear Reader Jane, Dear Reader Panni, Dear Reader Penny O, Dear Reader Jose, Dear Reader Laura, Dear Reader Sandra, Dear Reader Kerry, Dear Reader Music Guy (wherever he may be), Dear Reader Charles Pogue and his lovely wife, Dear Reader Noel, Dear Reader Joy (wherever she may be), Dear Reader S. Woody White and Dear Reader der Brucer.

The interesting thing about meeting these people in the flesh for the first time is that you already know them--in some cases quite well--by way of their cherce postings here.  So there's a degree of familiarity that is at odds with the apparent situation of meeting someone for the first time.  Some of the HHW folks I've met are, in the flesh, just how they come across on the site.  Some are quite different.  Regardless, it's a great experience and I recommend it to all.

I've truly enjoyed meeting each and every Dear Reader that I have, and look forward to future Hainsie/Kimlet encounters!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2004, 10:54:28 AM »

KRITZER report: My daughter, who is in Hungary and Switzerland right now - not at the same time, of course - just phoned me to say hello and to tell me that she had finished BENJAMIN KRITZER on the all-night train trip from Budapest to Zurich. She loved the book and was surprised and touched that it was bittersweet.
She is looking forward to reading the rest of the Kritzer saga.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2004, 11:01:06 AM »

When I first met DR Jay, I threw my arms around him.  Such was the connection I felt through his posts alone.  We also attended the same college and since our school lacked a secret handshake, I thought a hug would have to do.

My best relationship that started on-line began roughly seven years ago.  A young actress in Washington (DC) had some questions about the theatre biz.  Based on my chat room know-it-all-ness in the old AOL Playbill chat, she thought I'd be a good guy to e-mail and query.  This led to a lot of letters back and forth, and, like the characters in She Loves Me, the closeness increased.

Or, to reference a musical I like even better, the feelings in e-mail, instant messaging and phone calls was a whole lot like the love in The Most Happy Fella.  So happy was I that she planned a trip to my little vineyard on Broadway.  So nervous was she that she sent a headshot that didn't look a thing like her (this was long before my computer could receive photographs).  On June 3, I was teaching a song improv class (as I often am), and she arrived at my door precisesly at the time I had to leave to teach the class.  So, we kissed, went down to 72nd street, and didn't resume our conversation until after the class.  (She looked even better than the headshot, by the way.)

That conversation never ceased.  When she went back home to Washington, we had a commuter relationship for a while, and then she made the big move to New York.  Eventually, she moved in, and, well, last fall there was an original musical premiering at a theatre in the Village.  If you want to know more, I suggest you get the CD.  It's available at www.weddingmusical.com
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2004, 11:02:27 AM »

Oh my God, I’m reading about the coffee houses in Prague, Budapest & Vienna and the pastries served in these coffee houses.  They sound so scrumptious I am in physical pain for the want of them.  I will have to loose enough weight before our trip so I can indulge and still have my clothes fit.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2004, 11:09:13 AM »

William, I'm so sorry about Joe's situation.  At least he's going home soon.

A question of the day. Over the weekend I've enjoyed reading about HHW visits - DRs Jenny, Maya, S. Woody White and Der Brucer. Though I've established some wonderful friendships, I've yet to have a face-to-face meeting with someone I've met online. Any exceptional experiences - positive or negative?

Though I don't have any extreme stories about meeting HHW members, two young people from Sondheim.com had a screaming fight in my basement once at four AM.  It was strange.  Then I had to deal with three crying Sondheim.com members (One was not involved in the situation in any way, so I'm not sure why he was crying) at once, all the while trying not to wake my parents, who would not have found the situation particularly amusing.  

Oh, one bit of bad news: although we brought the camera, someone forgot to use it, even after I made sure he had it in his hands.   :o  So we have no photographic record of what Jenny, der Brucer and I look like together.

Oh no!  And I looked so purty yesterday!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 11:12:56 AM by Jenny »
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2004, 11:10:06 AM »

Re: Shots.  There was one, after a softball tournament in San Diego, where an opposing team bought the team I was with shots of cinnamon schnapps...

In Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, there's that remarkable shot where Butch and the Kid look up from the train they've blown up while robbing, to see this other train coming towards them.  The camera begins to track closer and closer to this car on the other train, and then, just as the side of the car fills the entire frame, the side of the car slams down BANG and the camera recoils as the horses carrying the Posse leap out of the car and over the camera.

And there's that entire opening sequence in The Player, following first one person and then another, as story ideas are pitched, each one absurdly involving the casting of Bruce Willis and Julia Roberts, while other people are discussing historic long shots in other films.  And this whole shot, which lasts something like eight minutes, is indeed ONE SHOT!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 07:43:25 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2004, 11:20:05 AM »

Jenny, what a story.  :o Do you still see these people?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2004, 11:46:19 AM »

There isn't anyone from this site who has not proven to be wonderful when I've met them in person.  That is one of the hallmarks of HHW: that people who are charming when they are at their keyboards are, in person, just as charming in real life.  Some things really cannot be faked.

But that's generally true, that nice people on-line will prove to be nice people off-line.  On one occasion, Der Brucer and I had a wonderful lunch with a young woman I had met on-line at a foodie site, one whom he had had no contact with before, and they got along smashingly.  Another time, we met Mr. Bakalor when he was appearing in Into the Woods in San Jose.

But when someone is by nature acidic when they type, the odds are they will be very nice in person...on the surface.  I've had this happen several times.  Once, der Brucer and I went to a cabaret performance at the Cinegrill (not the one that BK recorded with Jason Graae, that came later), where we met some of the people from another theater site.  The leader of that pack could become very snide when his ego got in the way, although he thought of himself as being absolutely charming.  And he was, indeed, charming in person...to those present.  About those not present, he was quite catty.  He was even catty and dismissive about our BK, who I did not yet know, but there was something in his tone that led to my dropping away from his site shortly after that face-to-face.

On another occasion, a group from yet another site filled a very large table at a restaurant in West Hollywood.  The leader of that group, when he finally arrived (late and flamboyant about it, as if he'd studied Quentin Crisp), was someone with whom I had not been getting along.  As he introduced himself to the rest of us and realized who I was, his face basically froze, teeth bared and clenched.  Later, back at the site, he took elements of conversation der Brucer had been part of and attributed them to me, as if we are one and the same person.  That wouldn't have been so bad, but he then proceeded to attack the the remarks and the person who had made them...which to his way of thinking, since we were the same person, meant attacking yours truly, for things I had not said at all.

Fortunately, the good eggs far outnumber the bad ones.  If only the bad ones didn't sour the stomach so!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2004, 11:58:08 AM »

Jenny, what a story.  :o Do you still see these people?

Yes, but I'm sad to say that they don't see one another anymore.  They were very close friends over the internet and telephone, but as soon as they met, they're entire relationship was ruined.  It's very sad, actually.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2004, 12:01:57 PM »

Had a wonderful day yesterday seeing CHICAGO and meeting Mr. Tom Wopat! The show was fun and had some great performances..particularly Velma (Reva Rice) and Roxie (Bianca Marroquin)! Carol Woods, who played Matron Mama Morton has a beautiful voice. My seat (which cost a fortune) was not too good..next time I will make sure to buy my ticket on the first day!! Prior to the show I walked down to the Subway Sandwich place and stood in line. In front of me were a cast member and a crew member from Chicago.  They were both very nice and told me that they hoped I would enjoy the show.

After the show I had Tom Wopat sign the CD insert from his CD which I had brought with me. We chatted about his upcoming CD which I am very excited about hearing. It will be songs by Harold Arlen and I think he said it would be out in October. Mr. Wopat is still quite handsome and in very good shape. Seems to me he had gotten a bit portly when he was on the show CYBIL, but he has gotten himself in fine condition now! If you have not had a chance to hear his CD titled THE STIL OF THE NIGHT, I highly recommend it. Beautiful songs and many old standards.

After the show I decided to go to the Northwest Film Center and catch a movie. All this month and part of April they are having a Yasujiro Ozu film festival. They are showing a whole slew of his films from the 1930s through the early 1960s. Last night I saw his 1936 film THE ONLY SON. It was quite good, but a bit depressing. Not a happy movie. The lead actress (who played the aging mom) was outstanding and the music was beautiful.

I only found out about the film festival on Friday so I have already missed out on a couple of the films that they have shown including TOKYO STORY which I really wanted to see. If anyone has any recommendations of his films please let me know as I plan on seeing a few more. I will definately see his 1961 film THE END OF SUMMER as it has several of the actors who appeared in my favorite Godzilla films!

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2004, 12:02:28 PM »

PS: JRand53, I hope you are feeling better today!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2004, 12:07:36 PM »

I have to admit that I've never seen (or can remember seeing all the way through) a Charlie Chaplin movie.  I'm certainly aware of him and his movies and certainly his importance to the movies, but I don't think I've ever sat all the way through one.  I will definitely have to rectify that situation (or I'm sure that I will be given a stern talking to).

I have yet to meet fellow HHWers in person, but if when the HHW Pacific Northwest Contingent have our get-together, I'll attend and finally be able to meet you all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2004, 12:09:29 PM »

Mr. Tom Wopat's signature!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2004, 12:11:53 PM »

IMHO - A REVIEW

I AM MY OWN WIFE

In the words of the playwright, Doug Wright, “…a one women show performed by a man.”

“Like Tony Kushner, (Doug Wright) has found a way to use his gay identity as a universal criticism of life.”
      Robert Brustein, The New Republic

“But I need to believe in her stories as much as she does! I need to believe that – a long time ago, in an attic – a generous aunt handed her confused nephew a book and a blessing. That a little boy – in his mother’s housecoat – survived storm troopers. That Luthar Berfelde navigated a path between the two most repressive regimes the Western world has ever know – the Nazis and the Communists – in a pair of heels”
      Act II “Abdication”

In the published preface, the playwright reminisces about an exchange with an artistic director of a writer’s retreat:

“I just can’t do it, Robert,” I moaned. “I can’t write this play. My subject exceeds me.”

Robert exploded: “You’re right, “ he cried.  “You have absolutely no authority – moral or academic – to write about twentieth century Europe. No credibility whatsoever!…You’re an authority on one subject alone: your on going obsession with a remarkable character….Your passion for her, your disillusionment – it has all the makings of a romance, “ he continued. “Whatever you do, don’t write a play about history. Write a play about you love affair with Charlotte von Mahlsdorf. If you’re lucky, the requisite history will take care of itself.”

This play is an exemplar of what is unique and precious about live theatre - the necessity of human presence, both on stage and in seats. This work would poorly translate to film –even a filmed version of the play would be too “cool”. It will get limited exposure in regional venues because of the nature of the material and the need for an exceptional star to carry the entire burden of the performance. Woody thinks the best hope for preservation lies in an audio recording (are you listening Bruce “Coppenhagen” Kimmel?)

Jenny remarked that the audience with whom we saw the play seemed much more receptive than the one with whom she had shared a preview performance – our audience seemed to laugh more – even though there were few “joke lines”. In retrospect, much of the laughter came not from the wit of the lines, but personal memories the lines evoked in the listener. Jenny even noticed that the laughter seem somewhat delayed from the time of delivery. I suspect our audience had more receptive listeners (read: older gay men) than did the previews. Woody disagrees, he thinks this performance had more out-of-towners attending, more open to the play’s ironies.

der Brucer (putting firmly on the record that the choice of play was all Jenny’s – the gay uncles exerted no influence whatsoever!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2004, 12:12:12 PM »

The leader of that pack could become very snide when his ego got in the way, although he thought of himself as being absolutely charming.  And he was, indeed, charming in person...to those present.  About those not present, he was quite catty.  

Years ago I worked on a puzzle book. One of the hardest things was coming up with trite yet meaningful quotations for the cryptograms. We had one contributor who was excellent at these, and I've often been reminded about the truth in one of his contributions:

c l
j c f
h t l m q h
b w w
z f
x f i
j b ww
h t l m q
b w w
f o
x f i

« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 12:21:14 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2004, 12:14:58 PM »

M Barnum,

I saw Chicago in Toronto. I saw the same Roxie, and thought she was superb. Gregory Harrison was Billy, and he was not too shabby either. Thanks for sharing the autograph.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 12:20:30 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up