Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS NECK OF THE WOODS  (Read 51011 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THIS NECK OF THE WOODS
« on: March 13, 2004, 11:47:55 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've chewed on the notes, you've spat the notes out like old tobaccy, and now you're ready to post until the cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 12:02:04 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THIS NECK OF THE WOODS
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 11:49:18 PM »

Wow, I didn't mean to press post and yet I pressed post and now this fershluganah topic is posted before midnight for no reason other than I pushed post when I didn't mean to.  The notes will be up in twelve minutes and then all will be right with the world.  Until then, just pretend you don't see this.

Jed

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 11:51:24 PM »

Oh, but see it I do!  New posts before new notes... the universe is reeling with such chaos!!!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 12:08:27 AM »

I can't see anything. I will now check for today's column, Or is that tomorrow's column. Whatever.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 12:20:55 AM »

Saw CITY LIGHTS for the first time tonight. Don't know how I've missed it all these years. What a magnificent movie!So funny and so very sad.Charlie just breaks your heart. And the ending... I get teary just thinking about it.

Also caught up with THE PARALLAX VIEW. An interesting double bill. I'm too tired right now to write about it. Good night Tom, who seems to be the only denizen here

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 12:21:11 AM »

Notes have been up since midnight and all is well with the world or, conversely, all is world with the well.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 12:33:24 AM »

Must confess I have not seen "City Lights". I love "Limelight" and "Modern Times". I must look out for this other classic of Chaplin.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 12:35:54 AM »

City Lights is the best of them all.  It's trascendent.  It's in a whole other class.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 01:38:50 AM »

Der Brucer and I are finally back from our jaunt to the big urban place.  We enjoyed a triple bill of I Am My Own Wife, Our Dinner with Jenny, and Wonderful Town.  I am far too tired to go into detail on this long but worthwhile day as yet.  Later.

Oh, one bit of bad news: although we brought the camera, someone forgot to use it, even after I made sure he had it in his hands.   :o  So we have no photographic record of what Jenny, der Brucer and I look like together.

Clearly, this was simply a dress rehearsal, with that grevious error to be corrected later.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004, 05:16:32 AM »

BK, loved the interview!  I've known Larry since the early 80s when he was conducting SUGAR BABIES, and he's been a friend for a long time.  I was working for a defunct shop called THEATRE BOOKS on Broadway and 47th, and Larry would come in and hang out.  He was the person who first introduced me to Harvey Schmidt while they were working on COLETTE, and that seems a whole other lifetime ago.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2004, 05:58:50 AM »

Lovely and witty, but fortunately not a member of the high school elite,  because she's better than that, Jenny:

Oh no, my Joe is not actually in hospital, he is in the so-called "medical unit" of the lockup, the big house, the hoosgow, the old klinkeroo, as a result of the Unpleasant Business reported on here for the last two years, a complete miscarriage of justice resulting from the incompetence of lawyers, the intransigence of the Hanging Judge, the apathy of bureaucrats, and primarily the Spite, yes pure Spite, of Evil People who would lie shamelessly under oath for no other motive but to harm another human being.

Not to sound bitter.

But I have led a charmed life, up to this point, because I have never really suffered at the hands of others, never been unjustly wronged, and I am the eternal optimist in our family.   So this whole affair has done damage to my view of the human race as a whole, and I am recovering from all those negative emotions which, BK can tell you, invade your being when you are betrayed and wounded by those you thought you could trust.

But Joe should be returning in five, count'em, five days, and I am a rock (though no man is an island), and he is counting on me to counteract his own chronic pessimism with good thoughts.

I can do that in large part because of the warmth, humanity, and yes the enthusiasm for life, films, music, books, language, theatre, food and whatever, the pure gemütlichkeit and even downright silliness that I find every day in the posts (not to mention the notes) at this here web site.  Ginchy.  Downright ginchy.

Now for next time:  You are delegated to remind DerBrucer to take some pictures.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Michael

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2004, 06:37:20 AM »

I agree that City Lights is such a brillaint film. I remember reading somewhere that there was a list of 10 greatest shots in movies. The final moment of City Lights is one of them. (Two of the others I remember being on the list are: Gone With the Wind's moment when she walks across the railyard looking for the doctor for Melanie and the camera pulls back with a crane shot and  their are literally hundreds of wounded solidiers and then we see the torn confederate flag.  The other one I remember being on the list in the Julie Andrews on top of the mountain at the begining of The Sound of Music. The camera on the helicopter moves in and she gives the famous twirl.)

What are your favorite shots/moments from a movie.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 06:37:51 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 06:41:46 AM »

Favorite short:  Mary LaRue and the Dancing Dildos, she studied with Strasberg!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004, 06:42:10 AM »

That's favorite shot!

Michael

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2004, 06:44:46 AM »

I remeber when I was a child my family was visiting Toronto. There was a movie theater that specialize in showing silent movies. One afternoon they left me with my sister while they went to do something. We were left at the movie theater and they should Chaplin's The Circus (I believe this was the first time I saw him in a film of any kind) They also showed a classic National Film Board of Canada short called The Rise and Fall of the Great Lakes. I think we watched both films three times and were upset when mothe arrived during the 4th showing of The Circus.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2004, 06:47:12 AM »

National Film Board had many great film shorts. The Rise and Fall of the Great Lakes is a great one. (From IMDB: Both a documentary and a comedy. It features a man on a canoe tour of the Great Lakes while the geological time frame changes around him. He finds himself atop the great glacier, and then suddenly falling from the sky as it is removed. His canoe teeters from a cliff after the shoreline vanishes. He sips pure water from the lake as it suddenly changes to a modern polluted state.)

Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2004, 07:02:35 AM »

I grew up in NYC. My dad, who was a great fan of Chaplin's, took me to see Limelight (his favorite), City Lights and Modern Times. When A King In New York was banned in the U.S., my dad, who hardly traveled, talked seriously about taking me to Toronto to see it with him. The trip never materialized, though years later I did of course wind up here.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2004, 07:05:30 AM »

The National Film Board of Canada did many great short films and many were innovative for their time. Norman McLaren was a great film innovater and ahead of his time. One of the best was The Neighbours. An 8 minute short This film, shot in pixilation (a kind of stop-motion animation with actors), is about two neighbours who come to barbaric blows over a flowers that straddles the property liine. The film was nominated for 2 oscars winning one for best documentary short (it was also nominated for best short subject-one reel)

I looked it up and the National Film  board produced over 3454 titles which including short subjects, animation, documentaries and motion pictures.

Another favorite is the animated The Cat Came Back. It was nomianted for an oscar but lost to what I belive was the first Pixar short
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2004, 07:12:50 AM »

A question of the day. Over the weekend I've enjoyed reading about HHW visits - DRs Jenny, Maya, S. Woody White and Der Brucer. Though I've established some wonderful friendships, I've yet to have a face-to-face meeting with someone I've met online. Any exceptional experiences - positive or negative?

(And TCB, you are of course invited to the next chicken paprikash dinner.)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2004, 07:12:54 AM »

One of my favorite film shots:  the rather extended opening shot of Orson Welles' Touch of Evil.  (An unfairly undercelebrated film, in my humble opinion (IMHO in internet lingo.))

One of my favorite film shorts:  Bambi Meets Godzilla.  'Nuff said.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2004, 07:14:39 AM »

DR Robin Anderson,

How are you feeling?

Robin

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2004, 07:16:41 AM »

What are your favorite shots/moments from a movie.

A few of my favorite indelible shots:

•Martin Balsam falling down the stairs, arms akimbo, after being stabbed in Psycho.  Less flashy, but every bit as effective as the shower sequence earlier in the film...and you know by looking into his face as he falls that he knew Mrs. Bate's secret.

•Looking up through the water at William Holden's floating corpse in Sunset Boulevard, as he's being fished out by the cops.  

•Morris Ankrum being subjected to the Infinitely Indexed Memory Bank in Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers.  The bright light shines down onto his noggin, exposing the brain underneath.   Hey, I was eleven, and it freaked me out...

By the way, City Lights is far and away my favorite Chaplin film, and I was disappointed it wasn't included in the first wave of CC titles.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2004, 07:49:21 AM »

Much as I love THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL, I think my most unforgettable film shot is the dead Shelly Winters sitting in the car in NIGHT OF THE HUNTER with her hair swirling in the current of the river.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2004, 07:49:33 AM »

The Larry Blank interview was great (even though he didn't mention Studio Arena he did mention Bill Cox who got his start there).  Larry doesn't look any older in the picture than he did when I knew him in the early to mid-70s.  Is that an old picture or has he really not aged at all?

It's off to the vet in a little while for Phoebe's annual check-up.  She loves the vet.  Tonight, it's an all-star reading of BELL BOOK AND CANDLE (free!) with Dody Goodman, Charles Busch, Malcom Gets, Howard McGillin and Jonathan Freeman!  Two of the five (Gets & Freeman) will also be in the off-Broadway revival of FINIAN'S RAINBOW which starts previews this week.  The other two stars of that are Melissa Ericco and Max von Essen.  Pardon me if I spelled any names wrong but I have to leave in a few minutes and didn't want to take the time to look them up.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2004, 07:55:07 AM »

Well, CITY LIGHTS is certainly my favorite Chaplin, too, and it certainly has to rank among the great masterpieces of cinema. But, I love so many of his films that I'm tempted to just buy these boxed sets and to heck with the quality. We probably won't get them again in any better condition. The second set also contains the one Chaplin film I haven't seen - A WOMAN OF PARIS (though he's only got a cameo in it).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2004, 07:56:02 AM »

Good morning. It's wonderfully foggy here. I'm about to take my morning walk and will not listen to music so I can enjoy the fog.

Dan-in-TO - You were lucky to have a father willing to take to you to TO to see a banned Chaplin film! Says so much about him and his relationship with you.

While we're talking about CITY LIGHTS -- I have a question/discussion topic for the DRs.
NOTE: SPOILER for those who haven't seen the film, so don't read on.
I've read a few articles about the film this morning. All of them assume that the Blind Girl accepts Charlie. I'd have to look at the ending again (my eyes were blurred with tears) - but it didn't seem like a slam dunk to me. To me, on that one blurry viewing, it looked like she was surprised and grateful, and filled with pity, but not that she would/could love him as a man.  "I can see now" does not necessarily mean"Yes, and seeing you, I accept you and love you as before." The whole film is after all about reality and illusion. The Millionaire only loves Charlie when he's blind drunk. In the cold sober light of day, he shuns him. The police assume that Charlie stole the money, they can't see the truth. And so on....  
This may be my Hungarian view of things. Perhaps there is a rosier interpretation. Perhaps the Little Tramp went to work in the flower shop and they got married and had babies that the Grandmother babysat and they all lived happily ever after. That would be lovely. What do you all think? (None of this, of course, makes one whit of difference in enjoying the film - which was SO good. I'm actually lucky in a way that I hadn't seen it before. It was like opening up a new and absolutely delightful gift.)

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2004, 07:56:29 AM »

For any of you who are fans of the TV show ANGEL and who were astonished when the WB announced its cancellation some weeks ago despite some of the network's best ratings, here is a website you can go to for information about efforts to save the show for another season.

And thanks to DR RLP for providing this information:

http://www.saveangel.org/index.php?story=103

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2004, 08:02:21 AM »

Probably my favorite shot is also from PSYCHO, but it's the camera turning and moving back from the eye of the dead Marian Crane, mirroring the swirtling of the blood down the drain. Pure genius in shot construction and execution.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2004, 08:04:44 AM »

In response to Panni's question about CITY LIGHTS, I'd have to say that it's impossible to know what the girl's next move will be, and that's the beauty of the film. Will she or won't she? and Chaplin provides no easy answers. Just another aspect that makes it a masterpiece.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2004, 08:11:17 AM »

I'm actually lucky in a way that I hadn't seen it before. It was like opening up a new and absolutely delightful gift.

Dear Reader Panni--

You subconsciously described the whole point of the film's ending with these words.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up