Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: DO YOU KNOW THE MILKY WAY?  (Read 57848 times)

François

Re: DO YOU KNOW THE MILKY WAY?
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2009, 01:00:37 PM »

Good morning!

Quite cool this morning but an otherwise beautiful day here. Beautiful light blue sky and lots of sunshine. It is breezy, though, and one needs a jacket to stay outside for long.

Matt, Warners will be out there shortly to work on that blue sky!

If they have the right filters!!

Ben

« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2009, 01:09:40 PM »

Hey, François, I was never able to record that Disney Friday Night is Music Night broadcast from last year. We were running back and forth between Long Island and Manhattan and all of a suddne 7 days had passed and it was gone from the Listen Again.

Sorry.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2009, 01:13:16 PM »

Interesting titles in the link MR BK posted.  As DR JMK wrote - TOAST OF NEW YORK is an interesting flick - that almost put RKO out of business...but there you are.

Titles seem a bit pricey.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2009, 01:24:07 PM »

Hmmmm.....there are six or seven I would like to have.....but at 19.99 each!  Whew!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

François

« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2009, 01:32:55 PM »

Hey, François, I was never able to record that Disney Friday Night is Music Night broadcast from last year. We were running back and forth between Long Island and Manhattan and all of a suddne 7 days had passed and it was gone from the Listen Again.

Sorry.

Oh, That's all right!
I know You Don't Bring Me Flowers Anymore! :D
I made an audio tape of it at my working place with the recorder positionned in front of the Mac's loudspeaker. It's better than nothing else!

BUT, if I were (A Rich Man and...) in Chicago, Illinois, right now I'd go and see (In that order!) Ashley Brown and Gavin Lee in Poppins!
You know... the nanny with the umbrella and the guy with the brush?!
I'd be flying high!

Terrific voice and talent.

I wish (Wishing list!!) BK would make a cd with Ashley Brown!! ... and Marin Mazzie ... and Karen Morrow ... and a new one with Jason Graae .... with arrangements by elmore, of course, and piano playing by José .... and liner notes by Walter Willison ...  :)

Oh .... Gavin CREEL is Claude in HAIR in N.Y.C. right now!

Another great voice and talent!

How's Ants doing?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 01:40:55 PM by SweetIrma »

François

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2009, 01:37:42 PM »

We haven't heard from Vixmom lately!

Hope she's doing ok!

She might be tired ....

François

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »

Michael Shayne's gone and JRand's ordering a Shirley Temple at the bar, and Ben's listening to a Chorus line on his iPod!  :)

François

« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2009, 01:41:31 PM »

Those Happy Hours at HHW don't "work" anymore!!

Ginny

« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2009, 01:53:01 PM »

Back from my bookselling stint - 2 hours cashiering and 2 hours straightening and restocking tables.  When we sort the books, we put extras from each category in boxes under the tables and, by the time Richard and I left at 2pm, we had the floor space almost cleared.  That means we've sold a lot of books in the last couple of days.  It will pick up in about 15 minutes, when the half-price sale begins, and again tomorrow when, all day, customers buy a brown grocery bag (remember those?) for $5 and fill it.

We actually had people have the nerve to ask today if they could put books aside and come back for them during the sale periods.  Come on, the most expensive items were recent hardcovers at $3!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2009, 02:10:44 PM »

Oldies.com is offering I, CLAUDIUS for just $29.95

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/10731M.html

And it looks like that's the first DVD release, with the 13-part version.  As I "broke" the news in my review of the recently reissued version, the new one, despite having minimally better image and audio, contains what was evidently a BBC version, with only 12 episodes.  The editing in the first two episodes is pretty bad, IMHO.

Why was I under the impression that the image was substantially better in the new release? I didn't buy it; I've watched the original so much that I knew a newer version wouldn't get enough viewings now to warrant the expense.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2009, 02:19:28 PM »

That's a little disturbing about the incorrect facts - and I've learned my lesson - I did no fact-checking because Walter was having a very knowledgeable theater writer proofing every comma, every period, every line - I guess he didn't proof the CONTENT.  So, from now on, either I write the liners as I do for the soundtracks, and as I'm doing for Illya, or I fact check myself, which is a pain but I'll do it. 

Oh well, "errare humanum est" ... and the mistakes are signed by Mr Willison, Walter for the ladies...

And that was "food for the thought" for DR MattH.

Thanks for thinking of me, but I frankly don't need your food for thought. I am WELL aware of my own shortcomings and found no joy in pointing out these mistakes. However, as a responsible producer of the album, Bruce's name IS on it, too, and it was HIS reputation I was concerned with.

In my own writing on my work site, I regularly field corrections to mistakes I make and am grateful for them. I have never considered myself unable to learn something new or be corrected on mistaken information I thought to be true.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »

My viewing this afternoon began with Thursday night's SMALLVILLE. A very interesting episode (though Jimmy's volatile reaction to Chloe's relationship with Davis was juvenile. Why not sit down and talk about feelings instead of making such a melodramatic gesture as ending their brief marriage?)

The episode did give Allison Mack some of her best acting opportunities and she made the most of them.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2009, 02:28:42 PM »

Next I watched DOLLHOUSE. The show has been on several weeks, but I thought since the CBS shows I usually watch weren't being aired last night, I'd sample it.

After the first half hour, I was ready to balk. It was very talky; I wasn't sure who anyone was, and I realized one did need some of the backstory from the previous episodes to kind of know what was going on (having read about the show's premise, I managed to barely keep my head above water.)

The second half did begin to draw me in, however, so I was glad I stuck with it. I'll likely give the show another week on my radar before deciding whether to stay with it or dump it. There were some interesting twists in the show's last ten minutes that were surprising.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2009, 02:29:58 PM »

I finished up my afternoon watching the rest of THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL that I had begun last night. I love Gloria Grahame, but I'm not sure I would have given her the Oscar that year.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2009, 02:48:08 PM »

I guess I forgot to mention that I *DID* receive THE ROBE and QVO VADIS on Blu-ray today. I was beyond thrilled (and relieved as I was starting to think the package had been lost in the mail.)

Tonight I will give a major portion of the evening over to THE ROBE in high definition. I really am excited to see it in a decent copy after all these years. I never got to see it in a theater. I only have crappy pan and scan TV showings and the very damaged DVD to go by, so this is going to be my introduction to what THE ROBE can look like. I am very excited by the prospect.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2009, 02:50:11 PM »

Heading down now to tidy up the kitchen and then get back into the home theater for THE ROBE.

WBBL.

Cillaliz

« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2009, 02:57:27 PM »

Hi SweetIrma...I missed you   :-*

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2009, 02:59:08 PM »

Sitting in a blocking rehearsal for The King and I and as par for the course, none of the underscore isn't working as we're not doing the show with the original stage directions!  This, of course, always happens.  In the meantime, I'm trying to finalize the instrumentation of the show, I have budget for 11, not to mention that the pit is very small.  We had 14 for Aspects of Love and I remember that we had an order in which we entered the pit each evening.  My goal is to make it as acoustic  as possible with no "piano" sounds. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2009, 03:00:18 PM »

It's a BEAUTIFUL day here. 70 degrees and sunny.  I was a ticket taker for the film festival but since I've already seen the films being shown, decided to go home and enjoy the day, and enjoy it I have been doing.  I have many windows open in the house and worked in the yard a little.  It's really too early to rake, but I had tons of sticks and pine cones out there, so I decided to rake a little.  It was SOO nice.

Cillaliz

« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »

I also took a table and chairs out of the garage and put them back on the front porch.  I know we'll get more snow and it's going to get cold next week, but that won't hurt them.  And the lions came out of the garage and are now guarding the front steps again.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2009, 03:03:03 PM »

It's supposed to rain for the next couple days.  I'll work in the house then.  Also watching a little of the old b-ball.  Go Michigan!   Go Purdue!   I'm cheering for the Big 10

Cillaliz

« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2009, 03:05:24 PM »

The girls are very happy to have the windows open and to have me here. They have been following me around and getting into things.  It's cute

François

« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2009, 03:21:10 PM »

Hi SweetIrma...I missed you   :-*

Obviously, you are not the only one, says he,  in a conceted way! ;)

Thank you!

We haven't seen much of your meow friends lately! ...

François

« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2009, 03:22:54 PM »

The girls are very happy to have the windows open and to have me here. They have been following me around and getting into things.  It's cute

Pictures! We want pictures!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2009, 03:22:58 PM »

Back from the event, which was stellar.

François

« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »

Story:

Last week, I found a French site that had a blurb on Miss Kim Criswell. Since I had read elmore's post about Miss Criswell doing SOM at the Chatelet Theater this year, I posted such info on that site, giving credits where they're due.

Well, the fellow answered that he had exchanged emails with elmore (Small world!) recently and didn't know about SOM BUT knew that the Châtelet in Paris will also host A Little Night Music in February of 2010!

The Châtelet Theater site doesn't mention anything yet!

I am thrilled about both shows coming to Paris. A first I believe!

Ben

« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2009, 03:30:50 PM »

François, are you still prohibited from listening to the Radio while at work? Beverley is on right now and she's playing My Cup Runneth Over from I Do, I Do.

François

« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2009, 03:36:07 PM »

François, are you still prohibited from listening to the Radio while at work? Beverley is on right now and she's playing My Cup Runneth Over from I Do, I Do.

Prohibition is gone, (I'll drink to that!) and I can listen to radio again! I LOVE My Friday Night Is Music show and I will listen to Beverley later, who's really my "cup"!!!
Thanks for the info!

François

« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2009, 03:38:41 PM »

The Hills Are Alive With Beverley,
  But not in Beverly Hills!

François

« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2009, 03:41:21 PM »

Back from the event, which was stellar.

Stellar by starlight?

I'm trying to "replace" Daw! Am I succeeding?? :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up