Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WEEKDAY HEROES  (Read 76713 times)

Ginny

Re: WEEKDAY HEROES
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2009, 07:30:28 AM »

DR Druxy - very nice house!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2009, 07:30:57 AM »

TOD:

PINKY LEE and HOWDY DOODY were my favorites in my youngest days. Later, THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB was #1; I would never miss it.

Yes, I liked CAPTAIN KANGAROO during the summer, during holidays, and when I was home sick. Never watched it during the school year because we left for school before he came on.

There were a number of afternoon kid's shows produced by local stations, but I won't mention them here since they'd have no meaning for anyone other than me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2009, 07:33:16 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

President's Obama's speech will air from 8-9 on all broadcast networks except the CW. Other programming has thus been affected by this event.

NBC - BIGGEST LOSER, LAW & ORDER: SVU
CBS - NCIS, THE MENTALIST
ABC - DANCING WITH THE STARS, PRIMETIME
CW - REAPER

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2009, 07:34:47 AM »

Once again, I have nothing to review, so I'll be watching THE DIRTY DOZEN on Blu-ray unless something arrives. I am still expecting the review copies of BEDTIME STORIES and DOUBT on Blu-ray, but they didn't arrive yesterday. Their release is still weeks away.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2009, 07:35:40 AM »

I also have last night's CASTLE to watch while I eat lunch, and I should be able to find time for HEROES today, and if not, tomorrow while I eat lunch.

DAW

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2009, 07:35:48 AM »

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2009, 07:37:42 AM »

Oh, and Mr. Wizard!  That's what I'd call my DH Richard when he put on his "Terrific Science" apron to teach science to gifted 4th, 5th, and 6th graders.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2009, 07:39:17 AM »

HodgePodge Lodge looks like the kind of show that could make a kid into a manic depressive.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DAW

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2009, 07:43:56 AM »

How could I forget THIS show, which, because of my last name, inspired ENDLESS teasing?    ::)

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2009, 07:45:31 AM »

A lot of that "Detroit" programming actually came from Windsor, Ontario, Canada, which is south (yes, south) of Detroit.  CKLW TV and radio were huge media presences in the Motor City.  When I was cast in The Bad Seed in high school, our drama teacher took us on a field trip to the CKLW studio for a screening of the movie (this was long before home video).  He took us to lunch and we felt very much like celebrities.

DAW

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2009, 07:45:51 AM »

This is the show that urged children to write with crayons on their television screen!  Of course, you were supposed to use the special film that you had to send away for, but I always wondered if that distinction was lost in the minds of some viewing children.     :P

DAW

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2009, 07:46:46 AM »

I was cast in The Bad Seed in high school

Typecast?       ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2009, 07:55:39 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I really wish I could have just stayed in bed for a few more hours this morning.  I did not sleep well at all last night.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2009, 07:56:36 AM »

We had the Winky Dink screen.....it was a pain and would never stay taped to the television set!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2009, 07:57:06 AM »

On the other hand, my "new to me" clothes dryer was delivered and swapped out about a half hour ago, and once the wash finishes up, I shall be giving it a test run.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2009, 07:58:21 AM »

~~~~~CONTINUED STAY SAFE AND DRY VIBES TO DR DAKOTA CELT~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2009, 08:06:25 AM »

Well, in Tulsa we had Chief Blue Eagle, who would explain to us all about the Indian traditions and then introduce Chufa, I think it was, which he said was Chocktaw for Crusader Rabbit. 

The local gas stations had sets of Blue Eagle glasses, decorated with his paintings of members of different tribes, and you got one free with a fill-up.  The Five Civilized Tribes, as we learned they were called in school--civilized meaning that they had allowed themselves to be rounded up and fenced in on reservations while the Sooners and Boomers took all the good land.

For those unfamiliar with Oklahoma history, the State was originally total Indian territory, but in 1900 it was opened up for settlement.  People lined up on the border and at gun-shot signal they all dashed in and laid claim to a plot of land.  This scene was recreated quite vividly at the end of Far and Away with Tom Cruise and Michelle Kidman.  As you might recall, they spent the whole movie coyly flirting with each other from Ireland to America.  And the closest they finally got was a brief kiss right at the end of the film.  Whether it progressed further than that is anyone's guess.   ;)

To continue your history lesson, the Boomers were the folks on the line who took advantage of the land boom.  The Sooners were the cheats who crossed the line too soon, sneaking in the night before to claim a piece of land.  Oklahoma is officially called The Sooner State.  No, not The Boomer State.  The Sooner State.  Sort of like calling Illinois The Mafia State.

Oh how wonderful is the internet.  Look what I found at Glass News Dot Com

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:12:08 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

DAW

« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2009, 08:06:34 AM »

DR JoseSPiano - you have your own washer/dryer in your unit?   That's a nice perk!    :)

Ben

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2009, 08:07:35 AM »

Oh, my I also remember Ding Dong School

Miss Frances

DAW

« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2009, 08:08:51 AM »

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2009, 08:10:42 AM »

Oh, yes, WINKY DINK AND YOU was a definite favorite. You could buy standard or deluxe models of that filmy screen to put over your TV. Funny, I never remember having any trouble keeping it on the screen, and it resisted being pulled off as I recall (I guess static electricity.)

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2009, 08:11:51 AM »

I am heading downstairs now a bit earlier than usual because I'm going to head to the grocery store and pick up a few items I stupidly left off my list last Friday. Then, I'll come back, check the mail, cook lunch, and watch some stuff in the afternoon.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2009, 08:13:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: DIPTYCH!

He was always calling the bigger kids that.  He thought it was funny, but his inability to sound an "s" inevitably left them confused rather than pissed.   When someone says, "Hey, Diptych!"  Are you offended?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:36:14 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2009, 08:13:27 AM »

The Romper Room hostess in Philly was Miss Connie.  I remember she was nice and I always hoped she would say hello to me in her magic (broken) hand mirror.

I liked a lot of the toys that were marketed, er, featured on Romper Room.  I had a pair of Romper Stompers and the Mr. Do Bee game that was a variation of Concentration.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:19:45 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2009, 08:14:57 AM »

I was cast in The Bad Seed in high school

Typecast?       ;)

LOL, DR DAW!

No, I was originally cast as Miss Fern, the teacher, and then promoted to Monica Breedlove, the neighbor, when the person cast in that part missed enough rehearsals for Mr. Moldovan to "fire" her.  Then, I had to wear a fat suit to make the line, "Anyway, I'm large!" ring true. Today, I could probably get away without the suit.

But, the girl who played Rhoda Penmark was really, really creepy - and I mean that in the kindest way possible.  She was brilliant.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2009, 08:15:17 AM »

DR JoseSPiano - you have your own washer/dryer in your unit?   That's a nice perk!    :)

Yes, it is.  -And I have a W/D in my apartment in NYC too. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2009, 08:16:52 AM »

By the time I came across Winky Dink, he was just cartoon segments that were on Captain Noah.  I thought the writing on the TV screen was sort of nifty but not really used to full potential.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2009, 08:22:18 AM »

The Romper Room hostess in Philly was Miss Connie.  I remember she was nice and I always hoped she would say hello to me in her magic (broken) hand mirror.

I liked a lot of the toys that were marketed, er, featured on Romper Room.  I had a pair of Romper Stompers and the Mr. Do Bee game that was a variation of Concentration.

Detroit = Miss Ardis (aka Ardis Kenealy)

My dad made me a set of rhythm blocks, which I never used properly and which my sister still teases me about (along with my singing).

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2009, 08:30:29 AM »

Oh how wonderful is the internet.  Look what I found at Glass News Dot Com

This gets better and and better. The site linked above has a great bio of Acee [pr. A.C.] Blue Eagle.  It appears he was an accomplished artist, an authority on Native American Culture, and a college professor.  He studied at Oxford and performed Native American Dances at Buckingham Palace.  No mention of his children's show, though.  And he died the year after we moved from Tulsa to Denver.

This big international data base has really become a time machine.  How long would it have taken me to find this out through library research?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2009, 08:33:10 AM »

SLC had two long running kids' shows, Fireman Frank (in the mornings) and Captain Scotty (in the afternoons).  Frank was a buddy of my father's, and somehow my Dad also knew Scotty, though I don't think well.  I got on Capt. Scotty's show for maybe my 8th birthday or so.  I didn't know it at the time, but the Captain evidently had quite the drinking problem and he was a bit on the cranky side that day.  I had never been to a studio before, but knew some of the simple "lingo" like "set" and "lights," LOL, which Scotty did not take kindly to.  When it was my moment on the show, he handed me my chocolate bar, slurred "Happy Birthday," and pushed me off the stage.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up