Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WEEKDAY HEROES  (Read 76711 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: WEEKDAY HEROES
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2009, 08:45:04 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

The PBS Block:
"Sesame Street"
"The Electric Company"
"Villa Alegre" - I guess that was the kid's equivalent of telenovellas. I never understood all of the Spanish, but I could make sense of what was going on. ;)
"3-2-1 Contact"

"Captain Kangaroo" usually started shortly after my parents dropped me and my brothers off at Mrs. Fischer, our babysitter.
"New Zoo Revue"

And then there was "Zoobilee Zoo" - which started during my senior year in high school - and only ran for one season.  I watched it since it starred Ben Vereen.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2009, 08:48:01 AM »

"Heroes" -- SPOILAGE!!

SPOILAGE

Dlkjfkj d j;klj fkjlajka;lkj kjadf;lkja f j"Heroes" has been hit-or-miss for me this season, mostly "miss", I'm sorry to say.  I haven't given up on it by any means, and I'm delighted to say that last night's episode is one of the most enjoyable I've seen since Season One.   One of the main delights is HRG -- horned-rim glasses (aka Noah Bennett):  Does anyone really KNOW just whose side he's on?  Is he working for or against those with abilities?   And after many, many episodes in which Hiro and Ando were very, very tiresome, last night had them absolutely delighting me.  One scene was laugh-out-loud funny.   I relished the entire, all-too-short, hour.  And it was great to discover who "Rebel" is.  That character has been too-long absent from the show.   I even found myself feeling sorry for Angela Petrelli!  :D  Dlkdkjfkj  ;lkaklj;l jafjka;lkja ds;lfkj ;lkjsfad;lkjasd;lfkj;lsjf;laskj; lkjas;dflkj ;lj sdf.

End SPOILAGE
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »

Topic of the Day - Part Deux...

And since I grew up in the D.C. area, I also remember Willard Scott's "Bozo, the Clown" on the NBC affiliate there, which was followed up by his stint as the original Ronald McDonald.
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2009, 08:52:10 AM »

We had a local guy in Seattle back in the early 1950s named "Texas Jim Lewis".  He had played supporting roles in some B-westerns during the 1940s.

He had an hour show 5 days a week, in which he would host an old Johnny Mac Brown western (or some other "B" western), then also sing.  I recall he had this unusual "musical" contraption called a "hoot-en-anny".

He was a big hit with the kids.  In fact, his kid went to the same elementary school that I did.
You can dream…or you can do.

Kerry

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2009, 09:05:25 AM »

How could I forget THIS show, which, because of my last name, inspired ENDLESS teasing?    ::)

You even kind of look alike!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:09:36 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2009, 09:06:45 AM »

"Texas" Jim Lewis

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2009, 09:09:07 AM »

Why are there 3 images instead of one?

Don't ask.

:-[

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2009, 09:12:19 AM »

Hello, everyone.

TOD:
Captain Kangaroo
Howdy Doody

and, of course, Pamela Mason.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2009, 09:13:26 AM »

I didn't watch a lot of "children's" shows shows per se; mostly cartoons and, like Druxy, cowboy shows.  The local kiddie host in the Cincinnati area, Uncle Al, just passed away a couple of weeks ago.  He was something of an icon with his straw boater, red and white striped coat, and accordian.  He was part of the WLW/Taft Broadcasting that went beyond local to regional and, I believe, Uncle Al went national for a year or so. 

My other favourite kiddie host was Bob Shreve, who used to bring us Popeye cartoons and Three Stooges shorts, but didn't really come into his iconic loopy crazy genius until he started hosting the Schoenling Beer All-Nite Theatre.  It was a wild and funny show.  He was sort of our local Soupy Sales.

Elmore,  do you remember any of these characters?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2009, 09:15:09 AM »

Good Afternoon!

The new dryer seems to be working like a dryer is supposed to work.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2009, 09:15:11 AM »

Oh, yes, I used to enjoy Soupy Sales, too.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2009, 09:16:25 AM »

In other news...

I don't have rehearsal until 2:00, but I need to get out of here for a bit just to clear my head.  Just a bit "annoyed" right now, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2009, 09:26:41 AM »

When we got to Denver, Spanky McFarland was hosting a daytime kids' show there, showing Our Gang comedies and telling stories about them.  He was always promising to have Alfalfa on the show... but then Alfalfa got shot and I don't know what happened to Spanky's show.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2009, 09:30:08 AM »

I didn't watch a lot of "children's" shows shows per se; mostly cartoons and, like Druxy, cowboy shows.  The local kiddie host in the Cincinnati area, Uncle Al, just passed away a couple of weeks ago.  He was something of an icon with his straw boater, red and white striped coat, and accordian.  He was part of the WLW/Taft Broadcasting that went beyond local to regional and, I believe, Uncle Al went national for a year or so. 

My other favourite kiddie host was Bob Shreve, who used to bring us Popeye cartoons and Three Stooges shorts, but didn't really come into his iconic loopy crazy genius until he started hosting the Schoenling Beer All-Nite Theatre.  It was a wild and funny show.  He was sort of our local Soupy Sales.

Elmore,  do you remember any of these characters?

I do! I could not for the life of me think of Bob Shreve's name this morning. I always wanted to be on the "Uncle Al" show, but my mother had some dislike for him, and she and her sisters were much more interested in getting on the Ruth Lyons Show.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2009, 09:47:09 AM »

Report on the Alphabetic Musicals Project:

Finished City of Angels on the way home yesterday.  Started A Class Act this morning, and that's a ball game of a different color.  I can believe Lonny Price as Ed Kleban, but from the CD Jonathan Freeman just doesn't make me think of Lehman Engel, even though the dialogue reflects some of his verbal quirks--such as calling us "kiddies" in class.

It is unfortunate that they didn't use one of Ed's songs that he wrote for no particular show.  A bit off color, perhaps.  It's about how to deal with life when your lover has gone.  It was called "Do It Yourself".

--Wayland Flowers

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2009, 09:49:48 AM »

Here's a little bio with pics about my childhood crush, Pixanne.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2009, 09:53:45 AM »

Does anyone here remember radio?

"Big Jon and Sparky"  That was my first introduction to electronic media, even before we got our first TV.

And when we got our TV, our parents had friends over for bridge in the living room while my brother and I got to stay up and watch the one channel Tulsa had.  We saw the Schlitz Playhouse of Stars, a live production, and as I remembered for years it was about a lady who got something in her eye at the train station.

It took a few decades before I realized it was Noel Coward's Brief Encounter, and it was about extra-marital adultery, and our parents would have had a hissy fit if they had known that was my introduction to television at.. what, seven?
--Wayland Flowers

DAW

« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2009, 10:00:06 AM »

And then of course on Sunday mornings there was Davey & Goliath:

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2009, 10:11:22 AM »

Finally, ANYA had made its way to my office!

Loading it up on my iPod and taking a lingering look at the red booklet cover (I always loved a solid red album/cd cover for musicals.) before reading the notes.

I wonder if iTunes will find the track info and cover art?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2009, 10:28:01 AM »

You've heard about the "Staycation."  Well, welcome now to the wonderful world of the "Nakation"!  :D

Ben

« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2009, 10:33:27 AM »

Finally, ANYA had made its way to my office!

Loading it up on my iPod and taking a lingering look at the red booklet cover (I always loved a solid red album/cd cover for musicals.) before reading the notes.

I wonder if iTunes will find the track info and cover art?

I don't know about iTunes but I got Shrek, The Musical at lunch and put it into my computer CD player. Real Player opened and presented me with two options, neither one related to Shrek The Musical which is playing on Broadway. Both are the various movie soundtracks. I entered the information manually in Real Player and then used to option to send it to AMG (I believe that's All Media Guide). I made sure to put Musical Theatre in the Genre field. I wonder if it will do any good?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2009, 10:55:24 AM »

Good morning, good day, how are you this beautiful day?  I am up.  Finally.  I didn't go to bed until two, so I guess I needed to sleep in this morning - now I'll have to catch up.  Lovely posts this morning.  And now I'll dive into the fifty-four e-mails that await, then I'll jog.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2009, 11:44:36 AM »

Why are there 3 images instead of one?

Don't ask.

:-[

The show ran Monday thru Friday.  You need two more pics.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2009, 11:52:14 AM »

My mother raised me up right.  She didn't use the television as a babysitter.  She sent me and my sister outside to play...

...and then she'd use the television the way it was supposed to be used, so that she could watch old movies and game shows while she did the ironing.

Which may be why I remember Concentration and Jeopardy better than I do Sheriff John and Engineer Bill.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2009, 12:04:34 PM »

You've heard about the "Staycation."  Well, welcome now to the wonderful world of the "Nakation"!  :D

Hmmmmm... 

One of those people bears a passing resemblance to former DR Rodzinski!

:o   :o   :o   :o   ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 12:06:18 PM by S. Woody White »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2009, 12:12:59 PM »

When I was growing up there was not a lot for childrens shows...

I do recall Romper Room via CTV out of Winnepeg
CAptain Kangaroo
Electric Company  (Always got a kick out of FArgo North Decoder....)
Sesame street (French and English)
Mister Rogers was more in the 1970s.

I very vaguely remember Kukla Fran and Olie. I seem to recall one of them was a puppet that looked like a bucked tooth lion with brown fuzzies. I think Ollie was the lion.

AFter we got cable, my sisters would watch Bozo the Clown on WGN out of Chicago.

A local WEather guy used to have magic show that ran periodically on the telly and we had SAnta's toyland that aired at Christmas time.  We really did nto have much for local chilren's telly.

I do recal soem of the after school specials that were on TV in the late 1970s and early 1980s

However there have been some more recent shows I have seen due to baby sitting neices, nephews and helping out a few freinds in the last 20 years

Zooboomafoo
Zoobilee Zoo
Zoom 1-2-3
Read Between the Lions
REading Rainbow
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DAW

« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2009, 12:16:27 PM »

Hmmmmm... 

One of those people bears a passing resemblance to former DR Rodzinski!

Which one??     :D

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2009, 12:19:23 PM »

I also recall something referring to a magic schoolbus

Big Blue Marble

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

I also recall that there was a variation of the Crocodile Files with STeve and Terry Irwin that would be aired for a while on Saturdays. I did nto mind that show. It was a neat way to learn about animals and I do like them.

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2009, 12:20:25 PM »

I also recall something referring to a magic schoolbus

Could it have been The Magic Schoolbus, per chance?   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2009, 12:23:05 PM »

I am finding today's post and notes rather intriguing since I have not seen most of these shows you are mentioning.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up