Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WEEKDAY HEROES  (Read 76707 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: WEEKDAY HEROES
« Reply #180 on: March 24, 2009, 06:27:38 PM »

Boy it's been slow around these here parts for days and days - it's getting a little annoying, frankly.

Who's Frankly?  Is that a new DR?

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: March 24, 2009, 06:28:02 PM »

Listening to The Cowsills - it's amazing that the Beatles never sued them - a couple of these songs are almost note-for-note rip-offs.

George

« Reply #182 on: March 24, 2009, 06:28:06 PM »

I spoke to DR Danise.  She sounds more relaxed, happier & hopeful.  The people she is living with love Sheena & the arrangement is working well.  Channel 28 said they might do some investigating.  Consumer affairs said she has a case if it has to go to court.  First they are going to work on him & see what they can accomplish. 

She thanks everyone for their concern & support.

Thanks for the update! 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: March 24, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »

Lunch with David was back on - we went to the Hamlet and I ate a large plate of nachos - I do love them there - no beans, no real heavy stuff at all - just a couple of ounces of ground meat, a little melted cheese, a little guacamole, and a reasonable amount of chips.  No sour cream.  I had a little dinner salad with it.  I'm very full, but it's my only meal o' the day.  We did the last of our Nudie fixes and came up with a great new joke for my character.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: March 24, 2009, 06:31:33 PM »

In the sad news department - my friend Richard Jones came over to get some DVDs and gave me the very surprising news that they had to put their beautiful and wacky dog Quinn down - very sudden - Quinn was ten, but the most energetic, wild, and wacky dog ever - he just suddenly developed a tumor that started bleeding and a few days later the doctor said it was hopeless and to put him down.  I'll miss the Quinnster.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: March 24, 2009, 06:31:54 PM »

I guess I should finish packing up orders and get them over to the post office.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #186 on: March 24, 2009, 06:34:07 PM »

Bruce I'm sorry about Quinn.

Michael

« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2009, 06:39:46 PM »

And since it's been guessed at another site, I'll let the cat out of the bag and say that the new Kritzerland Limited Edition soundtrack, my holiest of grails, is Andre Previn's Two For The Seesaw - for me, one of my all-time favorite scores ever and one I'm completely addicted to and have been since it came out in the early 60s.  The history behind this first-ever CD release is really interesting.  The score features one of the best main themes ever, the gorgeous and sublime Second Chance.  Mr. Previn's scoring of this film is nothing short of brilliant.

Which is also the name of the oscar nominated song from the film
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2009, 06:56:53 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear about Quinn, BK.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2009, 07:06:10 PM »

As we walked into the vet’s office to pick Sherlock from his teeth cleaning two emergencies arrived.  One was a teenage girl holding her little Ragdoll kitten.  Her parents were out of town & she needed to find a ride before she could get the kitten to the vet.  Fortunately the distraught mother could be reached to speak with the vet.

Needless to say we didn’t have much time to discuss the vet’s attempts to save one of his back teeth, in fact we left before she could write up the bill.  Keith thanked her for the free care ;)

Our vet just called to see how Sherlock is doing.  Of course we asked about the kitten.  She had him on her lap as she was driving home & will be turning her bathtub into a hospital bed.  He is being treated for a toxin, & just to be safe an infection. 

Vibes this sweet little kitten will be ok.

George

« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2009, 07:19:08 PM »

~~~Vibes for the kitten!!~~~

George

« Reply #191 on: March 24, 2009, 07:19:32 PM »

Well, it's time to head home.

Until later.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2009, 07:45:36 PM »

Hi everyone - catching up on today's posts while sitting in rehearsal for The King and I - the schoolroom scene to be exact.  Too, too fun. 

Michael

« Reply #193 on: March 24, 2009, 07:53:25 PM »

I totally forgot about three programs from the CBC

1967-2001

1958-1985

Help us to learn French
Chez Helene 1959-1973
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #194 on: March 24, 2009, 07:58:08 PM »

And now off to bed.
Never stop dreaming.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #195 on: March 24, 2009, 08:00:32 PM »

I totally forgot about three programs from the CBC

1967-2001

I think this may have been several DR's favorite kiddie show.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #196 on: March 24, 2009, 08:01:42 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, we all survived "Little Old Lady Land - Part 1".  I think. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2009, 08:12:07 PM »

I had an interesting and very varied menu of viewing offerings tonight.

I began with THE DIRTY DOZEN on Blu-ray. I only had the old non-anamorphic DVD which was a weak, debris-filled transfer and which I hadn't watched in years.

The Blu-ray, while not perfect, was a tremendous leap in quality from that original DVD issue. A few scenes/shots seemed to be from a generation or two away from the rest of the transfer, but many scenes were just glorious to look at.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: March 24, 2009, 08:17:40 PM »

When I was perusing the list of Warner Archive titles the other day, I bough several Joan Crawford titles, but I noticed several others that I wanted to research a bit before I bit the bullet. One was MANNEQUIN, her only co-starring film with Spencer Tracy. I'd never seen it, but I did remember that I had it in the Joan Crawford laserdisc box set and had never watched it.

So, tonight I took it out of the box and watched it. An interesting melodrama with Joan's usual rags to riches to losing everything and starting over with pluck and verve story. (She was still making this kind of movie late into her Warners Bros. career, too, only there she was 20 years too old to be playing it.)

I enjoyed seeing her act opposite one of the greats, and she holds her own with him, surprisingly enough.

I also thought Alan Curtis was a dreamboat (though he was playing an utter cad.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: March 24, 2009, 08:18:33 PM »

I was just perusing PLAYBILL.COM'S CUE & A: Will Swenson and one of the questions was this:

Worst onstage mishap:  During previews for Lestat (yes, Lestat) we changed a scene to include the revelation of a crucifix around which the entire following scene would play out and reveal important vampire truths. Well, one night I forgot to bring on the crucifix. Nice job, Will. Douche.

;D

Jose, did you see/hear about this?

I think I remember that.

I also remember getting the signal from the conductor to keep repeating a couple of measures.  Over and over and over again.  It turned out that the wigs on Lestat and Marius got caught "in each" other.  I believe Marius' wig won.  Of course since Lestat's mic was pinned into his wig, well...

And then we had that one performance where we wanted to try out a new opening - one of many opening sequences the show went through.  We had spent the whole day of tech putting it together, and hoping that it would work.  Since everything - lights, set, special effects, automation - had to happen at once and then in sequence, it was all coordinated with the "click-track" that the orchestra was playing with.  We would hear a count-off of "1, 2, 3, 4" in our headphones, and then the conductor would bring us in.  Well...

We get to the show that night, and we're all excited to see how the new opening looks.  We hear the pre-show announcement in the house, the cue light goes off in the pit, and the conductor gives the downbeat.  Then we hear "1, 2, 3, 4" in our headsets.  SPOO!!!!  I was up on the 7th floor with the other keyboard player - who was also the associate conductor - and when we saw the conductor start to give his prep, we just started waving our hands wildly hoping that he would see us.  Needless to say, he didn't see us.  So, we just kept playing.  And started laughing.

A few measures into the brief overture/prologue, we could tell that the stage manager was blinking her light - signal for the conductor to pick up the phone.  A couple more measures in, the flashing stops.  We're still laughing and shaking our heads.  That's when the conductor catches us in his monitor.  He just smiles back at us thinking that we were trying to cause some trouble.  Well...

A few measures later, we can tell that the conductor is hearing the click-track.  And he notices that it is off by a measure.  Ohhh...

After the prologue is done, the stage manager's light starts blinking again... The conductor picks up the phone, and, well...  Ah, well.

And I don't think we ever ended up trying that particular version of the opening in front of an audience.  Something new was tech'd the following day.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:20:24 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2009, 08:18:49 PM »

Next up was ICE FOLLIES OF 1939, but I only watched about 20 minutes of it. Joan got her movie contract, and then I had to stop it. I may finish it tomorrow since I didn't get any review items today. Looks like I may have another day off.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »

I was just perusing PLAYBILL.COM'S CUE & A: Will Swenson and one of the questions was this:

I also like what Will lists under "Special Skills".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2009, 08:20:10 PM »

NCIS had a pretty good mystery tonight, and I wanted to kick myself for not solving it.

I guessed the wrong family member.

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2009, 08:21:43 PM »

THE MENTALIST had another good episode, too, and another mystery where I guessed the wrong murderer. The British actress who was one of the primary suspects was the same one who played the loony stalker Lila on season two of DEXTER.

Matt H.

« Reply #204 on: March 24, 2009, 08:51:39 PM »

Evening internet surf is now completed, so I think I'll head downstairs and go to bed.

Good night!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2009, 08:55:15 PM »

I think I'm finished with my viewing and now I'll write the notes.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #206 on: March 24, 2009, 09:03:44 PM »

I also recall something referring to a magic schoolbus

Could it have been The Magic Schoolbus, per chance?   ;D

possible...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #207 on: March 24, 2009, 09:06:50 PM »

For a good time, call Terry Fator

DF and I will be seeing his show in may
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #208 on: March 24, 2009, 09:09:02 PM »

Sorry to hear about Quinn's death...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2009, 09:12:57 PM »

Continued vibes to Danise....
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up