Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT  (Read 51255 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2003, 12:58:22 PM »

DR Noel - hmmmmmmmmmm I think an initial run of 100 would be a good idea.

A few months of traffic on your website will let you know if a bigger investment is prudent.

And I think $20 including shipping is a BARGAIN.  Do they get copies of the lyrics as well - would couples who want to "do" your wedding pay a royalty or would that be included in the fee?

I think you may have a cottage industry on your hands!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 12:58:59 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2003, 01:23:44 PM »

Good Lord!  Will there be graduate studies available in HHW posting?  It all looks so wonderful.  If we just had a Joe Allen's and a 7-11, we could all live here forever.  Maybe I shouldn't be trying to figure all this out while I am on Vicadin.

If I could live anywhere, it would have to be Manhattan.  There is no other place like it on earth.

Something from my childhood:  All those damn original baseball and football cards I had  and later threw away.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

td

• td
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2003, 01:38:22 PM »

Well, here it is toward the end of October, and what happens to me each October? ? ? I get a little bit of bronchitis!  That's what!  Oy and vey!

Further ASK BK DAY QUESTION:

Other than Jason Graae subbing for a sick singer on CINDERELLA, who have been the other last minute replacements on your recordings? ? ?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2003, 01:44:47 PM »

My earlier, whiney post (see page one, I think) was written before I went to bed; this, to me, now counts as "tomorrow," which does come in spite of what some people say.

VISIT FROM A TALLER MAN, Part One:

One part of moving to Delaware that der Brucer and I have known we'd have to deal with is a visit with my father.  Traveling north to visit him and my stepmother has always been problematic for der Brucer, as the Interstate from Long Beach to Sonora, CA, is a traffic monster and wears him to a frazzle.  On the other hand, Dad has always been quite aware of what moving from one coast to the other can be like, having asked his first wife, my mother, to travel from the East Coast to the West circa 1950.  It's an adventure, sure, but everything becomes so different.  Paulann, my stepmother, was glad to send Dad down to see us for a couple of days this week.  She knew his peace of mind was worth spending those days alone in their house.

It was going to be the last chance for him to visit, as well.  The movers had been scheduled to pack us up on Thursday, leaving nothing but the two beds we'd decided were replaceable, giving us some cushioning for a last night before following the mover's truck Friday morning.  Or at least that was the plan.  Therefore, Dad had asked us to find him a motel room for Monday and Tuesday nights, so that he could help us with our packing.  

We got his arrival call from the motel late Monday afternoon; crossing through Los Angeles County post-work traffic was much heavier than he remembered, and had put him behind schedule.  A good dinner was clearly in order.  Der Brucer and I had already plotted a few ideas, deciding on a number of restaurants where we are known to choose from that would vector nicely with what Dad doesn't get to eat at home with his vegetarian wife.  As it happens, Paulann has been eating some meat lately, as part of her low-carb diet, but she cannot bring herself to eat fish, so King's Fish House fit the bill quite well.  

Over dinner, der Brucer outlined all the problems we've had getting the new house built, with an occasional "Oh, sheesh!" comment from Dad.  That's about as strong a swear word as he uses.  He's taller than me by a couple of inches, and I stand a handy six foot two, but we both weigh about the same now, in the low 200s.  Come to think of it, we both gained weight at about the same time in life, in our late 30s, quitting the smoking that had stunted our horizontal growth and until then kept us beanpole thin.  A man of eighty-two, he looks and acts more like someone in their early sixties.  He's become good friends with der Brucer, dating from when they discovered they both speak a common language, that of technical engineers.  That friendship has helped heal the wounds my sister caused when she repeatedly told me never to discuss my being gay with Dad, as he "would never understand."  The catch was, not being able to discuss something as central about who I am made it next to impossible for us to talk about anything else.  Dad has never discussed what she was telling him during the years he and I were unable to speak to each other, and I've had to learn to let that go.

Dad made only one mistake during dinner, and that was to mention his desire to find a keyboard for Paulann for her birthday.  We try to hide it, but there must be a shopping gene associated with the gay gene, because der Brucer shivered with excitement, thinking of how we could help Dad find exactly what she wanted.  "Yep, she wants one with all the bells and whistles, if I can find one."  This didn't make much sense to me, since a keyboard is a keyboard, and how many bells and whistles can one of those have.  "Oh, no," Dad explained, "She wants this for Church."  It finally became clear that she wanted a musical keyboard, for use with a synthesizer, not a new computer keyboard.

We were able to get some comparison pricing done with Dad, without making an actual purchace, before returning to his motel room.  He'd brought a scrapbook of pictures, ranging from shots of my mother, who he always loved, to some of himself and Paulann, a few of my sister and her family, some of the family he's inherited from Paulann's first marriage.  There was one shot of his own father, taken during the last year of his life, relaxing in an easy chair listening to cowboy songs on a portable record player.  Another was of some of the badges Grandpa wore as a police officer and later coroner of Riverside County.  "I think you should have these," Dad said as he took them from the book.  We agreed that Dad would come to our house "at about nineish" the following morning.  There were loads of boxes that he had promised to help us with.

To be continued...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2003, 01:53:47 PM »

In posting the above, I started by writing everything out in Word, then running a cut and paste.  I've found this a convenient way to write, since it lets me spell-check (something everyone should try whenever possible.)  There was a problem, in that every time I'd included apostrophes or quote marks a strange seven-character code was substituted, so running the post through preview mode was a good call.

This also let me give the link the King's Fish House in style: click on the globe icon, and it gives the word "url" in brackets, followed by a backslash "url" in a second set of brackets.  I included a = sign after the first word (but before the closing bracket) and then typed in the correct www address.  The name of the link (KFH, in this case,) was entered between the two sets of brackets.  Presto, the link is highlighted in blue while reading correctly in English.

I hope all this has made sense.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2003, 01:54:32 PM »

Anyone wanna give me a clue as to how to solve the problems I've had trying to upload my picture?  I have a jpeg file, and when I originally tried to load it, I was told it was too big, and that the max size was 110x150, 20kb.  Well, I have resized the photo to 144x108, but I am getting the same error message. ???

Jay, your picture is 144 wide x 108 tall.  It has to be 110 wide and 150 tall.  Edit it again and turn it sideways, like I did and then it'll work...unless you don't want it sideways.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2003, 02:03:32 PM »

For everyone with technical questions, please do not post them within the Daily Discussion board. Instead post them seperately, within their own new thread at the Tech Support board. This way we can get to each one and make sure everyone's problems and questions have been seen and dealt with.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2003, 02:10:27 PM »

we.

are.

close.

to.

100......  puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuush

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2003, 02:24:31 PM »

I tried cropping and resizing my photo.  Lessee if I still look like Gumby.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2003, 02:25:42 PM »

Oh well.  A punim only my mother could love.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2003, 02:25:43 PM »

What a loverly bunch of posts.  I hope you're all having as much fun as I am.

I'm back from my meeting, which went fine.  Start work one week from today.

Jennifer: More smilies available under the smilies, just click "get more".

Mark is right - please post tech problems under the tech thread.

We've had our first Uncouth Interloper attempt to register with a non-valid e-mail address.  Oops.  Oh, well, better luck next time and while you're at it, KISS MY ASS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2003, 02:40:43 PM »

There will be little bugs to work out, but I think we're doing extremely well adapting to our new environment.  The main thing to remember is that it is designed to be no different than our OTHER environment - it's just a different look and feel with lots more bells and whistles and fun stuff.

MIA - WEL.  Amazing.

Also, Dear Reader Panni e-mailed me, sounding very frustrated, because she tried to do a "new topic" within this board.  New topics can only be created by me within this Daily Discussion board, and I'm not creating (at least at this time) because I want the only option to post to be to the current day's notes.  HOWEVER - that doesn't mean you must ONLY discuss the topic of the day.  REMEMBER - it works the same as the old way - there's a topic but you can discuss any old thing you want.  So, discuss.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2003, 02:43:38 PM »

Hello fellow Dear Readers! I have just returned from a very fast day at school. For the unknowing: This week is Homecoming Week, or Spirit Week. Every day of the week has a theme, and you're supposed to dress accordingly. Monday was Pajama Day, Tuesday was Twin Day, Today was Fame Day, tomorrow is Theme Day, and Friday is Class Color Day. Saturday, there is a parade with the marching band, the color guard, the football team, cheerleaders, and the floats that each of the grades made, followed by a football game/BBQ, and the Homecoming Dance.

This week is SUPER hectic for me, because I'm in charge of a lot of Student Council things for the Sophmore Class. I'm completely in charge of decorating a HUGE hallway (75x25) with Pirate/Cross Country Running things, and I also had to make a billion teeshirts as a Sophmore class fundraiser. This is a lot harder than it sounds, and I've been very busy planning all of it.

So anyway, today was Fame Day. I wasn't planning on dressing up as anything, but inspiration hit me as I was folding my Dr. Seuss blanket-throw last night: I could go as the Cat in the Hat! So I planned my whole outfit, making a quick run to Wal-Mart for the supplies, and continued to paint my face/neck white, paint a nose and whiskers onto my face, and get the whole getup ready (Hat, black clothes, CITH slippers, white gloves, etc.) So this morning, I was standing outside waiting for my ride, dressed as the Cat in the Hat. And I looked GOOD. During the competition for "Best Costume", I made it up onstage for the finalists, but Spongebob, the Gilligans Island Crew, and the Michelin Man won instead.

Well that was long and pointless, wasn't it?

Anyway, apparently I'm missing a bunch of assignments in Algebra (I was not informed that I had missed said assignments), and my parents were called today, and my AIM has been taken away until further notice, even though I've already finished everything that was missing, and they'll be turned in tomorrow before school starts. How dumb is THAT?

I think a reason that the board is less "home-y" than the old one is because of all of the features. It makes things a little bit more....distracting. Fun, but I think we're focusing a lot on the shiny colorful things :). BUT, it's the first day, I'm sure after a while the "Ooooh, toys!!" state of mind will wear off,  ;)...maybe...

I'm working on getting a picture of me up, but the only one that I could get right now is the Cat in the Hat one, which will never be shown on the internet. Sooooorrry!
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2003, 02:47:54 PM »

BK: Thanks for telling me about the extra smilies. Now I am happy. Or I would be. But when I click on "get more" I see no more :'(

I will also try the editing feature after I've previewed but before I post. DO I just go below my preview to the little box and edit?

Does anyone know why the pictures are so big?
It is scary!!!!!!!

For DR Noel: Re: how many cds to make?

Well do you have any idea how many people might want them.  I'll bet plenty of people who read your NY Times article would be curious to hear the show.

Why don't you contact people you know who have been in similar boats and ask them how they decided how many cds to print.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2003, 02:52:42 PM »

We're checking on the pix, but there is some discussion on the Tech board, so check there under the thread about "pitchers"

I think everyone is just having fun with the toys - it will all settle down after a time, but I couldn't be happier with the way this whole thing is working.  It's so simple - a bit slow at times but that's intermittent and in a while it won't be an issue at all.

Now, where are the questions?

Decorum prevents me from naming names on the singers I've replaced, but I think it's only happened twice - once where Guy Haines replaced someone on the first Unsung Musicals, and once on the cut song from On the Town on one of the Lost in Boston albums.  There might have been one or two others, but I'm not sure.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2003, 02:54:01 PM »

Also, once you've posted you have the ability to modify your post if you so choose - just click the "modify" button above the post you wish to modify.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2003, 03:00:44 PM »

Here's a quick reply...it is SO weird to see pictures next to faces now, besides BK. While reading the posts, I developed an image of what you all looked like, and some of them are dead on, and some are completely opposite! THIS is what's going to take some getting used to, for me anyway.

BK: Could Guy Haines sing opera?
...Walk in the sunshine...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2003, 03:09:34 PM »

I've enjoyed the new message board so much, and congratulations to all those whose work went into its design and implementation. It's going to make a fun place on the internet even "funner."

I promise to have a snapshot of myself up in the next day or two. I've been meaning to take some new ones of me. The most recent I have is two years old, and (hopefully), I've lost a little weight since then. I've really liked seeing the faces of the folks I've gotten to know and appreciate during these past months at HHW.

My question for Ask BK Day: I know all your albums are like your children, but is there one that you're especially proud of, that you think shows you at your best as a producer/creator of show albums? I've already told you several times how much I love UNSUNG SONDHEIM, so I was just wondering if you have a favorite for one reason or another.

If I could live anywhere, money no object, it would be NYC. Loving the theater and also having several theater friends who live there now, I wish I could afford to live there and go to the theater all the livelong day (and night) - (sort of a BK reference).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 03:13:08 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2003, 03:40:29 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Another fun thing...[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Is seeing....[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]who else is perusing the board....[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]at the same time as you are!  :D[/move]

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2003, 04:00:42 PM »

I am especially fond of Unsung Irving Berlin, which was a rather historic album to do - imagine being allowed to go through Mr. Berlin's filing cabinet.  And I am very fond of an album that didn't do especially well called Prime Time Musicals.  And A Broadway Love Story via Christiane Noll is a favorite, just because it succeeds at everything I set out to do for it.  Difficult, yes, but in the end, worth it.

Michael

« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2003, 04:02:30 PM »

This is so much fun!!! Now I have to learn all those fun things!!
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2003, 04:11:49 PM »

NOW - I have a photo, albeit in non-anamorphic cinemascope, a bio, contact names for Yahoo and ICQ, and a link to my About Me page at EBAY.

Everything anyone at HHW might want to know about me - probably in fact, too much information.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 04:34:30 PM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2003, 04:17:33 PM »

Jennifer is RIGHT.  There are no more smileys to be found, despite the promise of smileys to be found.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

There have been a couple of folks who've had problems receiving their password.  If this happens to you, send an e-mail to bruce@haineshisway.com and I'll get it to Mark so he can deal with it.  But, for most, everything seems to be working quite smoothly.

Now, it's very important to remember - this is not a NEW site, it is an adjunct to what has always been haineshisway.com.  In fact, I like it if you arrive here via the link at the end of the notes - that way our stats keep rising.  And, of course, all our interviews, radio show, Juliana's Journal etc. are accessible from our haineshisway.com home page and also via links at the top and bottom of every page on the forum.  But do use haineshisway.com because that way you'll still have the "feel" in your heads when you post.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 04:19:46 PM by bk »

Michael

« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2003, 04:17:37 PM »

I think we must applaude Mark Bakalor and all that he has done. I am very impressed. Now it wants me to redisgn www.brucekimmel.com!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2003, 04:19:45 PM »

Got the kritzerland Cd today and listening to the selections on the Broadway radio show. Who is your chorus on High Hopes? You did your wonderful arrangements?
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2003, 04:22:21 PM »

I did the arrangements, Grant did the orchestrations and played.  Grant is my backup chorus.

Michael

« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2003, 04:30:13 PM »

Ok let's try some fun

Why is this text scrolling to the left and not to the right?
[shadpw=blue,glowwidth,#characters wide]Is this shadowed text?[/shadow]

[glow=red,glow width, #characters wide]Does this texy glow?[/glow]

:)
:D
;D
:(
:-*
>:(
:p
:'[
8)
:0
::)
:-/
:-X
???
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2003, 04:33:29 PM »

Oh, it's Ask BK day.  I have been too busy playing with my new toy!

MR BK - Mr Delmer Daves directed several "soap opera" type pictures for the Warner Bros in the 1950's and 1960's.  Do you have a favorite of these?  That would include "Summer Place", "Youngblood Hawke", "Susan Slade", "Parrish",  and "Rome Adventure" and a couple of others.

Jed

« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2003, 04:33:43 PM »

Question for DR's Jennifer and William F. Orr...

Were you experiencing difficulties placing your "pins" on the very nifty new Member Map, or did you intentionally place yourselves out in the middle of the Atlantic?
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Michael

« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2003, 04:33:53 PM »

Okay let's see if these work

[shadpw=blue,glow width, #characters wide]Is this shadowed text?[/shadow]

Why is this text scrolling to the left and not to the right
:P

:o

:-/
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up