Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BORING NOTES  (Read 13887 times)

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
Re: THE BORING NOTES
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2009, 11:03:52 AM »

Dear DAW, I've de-cluttered by 75% since 2002, feels great, some things I think I miss for a moment or two, but it never lasts longer than that.

Will de-clutter one last time in 4 years, if plans hold out I'm moving to Ventura to a very small place within walking distance from the beach. 
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2009, 11:14:15 AM »

DR Sam, I hope you get your place by the beach.

Sam

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2009, 11:15:24 AM »

Dear Jane, someone told me they were wolf spiders, I really don't know, nasty looking ugly brown things.

Had them in the apartment in Hollywood too.  We were on the 6Th floor and I think they lived in the l00 foot pine trees right outside the window, and would blow in from the heavy winds. In this building the bottle brush looking tree, touches the bathroom and bedroom windows, again I think that's were they come from.

Every apartment building I ever lived in always had pest control spray every month, and then someone figured out how to make money on a huge settlement  for getting sick.  Now no one sprays in rental buildings.  Too afraid of getting sued.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Jane

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »

I just got off the phone with DR Danise.  She says hello & is sorry she doesn't get much time to use a computer.  She is still at her friend's with Sheena.  On the upside, if there is one to all of her house troubles, is there are people working on her behalf.  She has the state, consumer protection, and the inspection department as well as a lawyer.

CONTINUED HOUSE VIBES FOR DR DANISE!!

AND KEEPING HER JOB VIBES! 
There have been more layoffs at works.

Sam

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2009, 11:22:33 AM »

Dear Jane,  me too.   Friends have one of the historic houses on Main Street and just bought the other  property on the same lot.  Both will be rentals, the plan is to file for social security as a widow at 59 l/2 and move to Ventura, and only work 20 hours a week.  I'm keeping my fingers very, very crossed.

Sam

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2009, 11:24:11 AM »

Continued house vibes for Danise.   And I know work is scary right now.

Sam

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »

I'm optimistic the economy settles down for all of us.  Soon.

Sam

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »

Must have breakfast, and go have my mop of a head of hair cut, which is always fun.

Most of Tom's clients are over 70 and love to tell stories and gossip.  And he likes to have at least 5 clients there at a time, to keep things very noisy and lively.

Jane

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2009, 11:36:43 AM »

Dear Jane,  me too.   Friends have one of the historic houses on Main Street and just bought the other  property on the same lot.  Both will be rentals, the plan is to file for social security as a widow at 59 l/2 and move to Ventura, and only work 20 hours a week.  I'm keeping my fingers very, very crossed.

That sounds lovely.
FINGERS CROSSED FOR YOU!

Sam

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2009, 11:38:50 AM »

TOD:  Since someone that used to lived with me played Oklahoma on the record player till it wore out.  I guess it would be Oklahoma, for fond memories.

But I'll listen to them all, don't know enough to pick one over the other.

And I keep forgetting about the word of the day.

Be back later.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2009, 11:42:38 AM »

from FJL « Reply #129 on: Friday 04/17/09 15:04:39 »   

Ah, yes.  He is credited with music and/or lyrics on five of the tracks.  I guess I missed that when I was playing it.  btw, they are definitely the best tracks.  Except, of course, possibly the "Orgasm Medley".
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2009, 12:01:18 PM »

And just to prove that JR and I aren't the only ones, Frances herself is mentioned in NEXT TO NORMAL.  So there.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »

TOD:

I fell in love with The King and I when the movie came out.  The libretto to the show was in our English literature textbook in high school.  In college, I saw a production in Los Angeles starring Constance Towers and Daren McGaven.  Surprisingly, the Night Stalker was a terrific king, and I decided then and there that "Shall We Dance" was the most erotic scene in any musical.  (For movies, I'd have to say the final scene on the island between Kiera Knightly and Orlando Bloom in the last Pirates movie.)

Joe and I loved the Broadway version with Donna Murphy and Lou Diamond Phillips, and one of my favorite CDs is the cast recording of it by some record producer or other.  I hear Donna doesn't do her own whistling.   ;D

Favorite songs?  "Love, Look Away", "Hello, Young Lovers", "Younger Than Springtime", "Like a God", "You've Got to Be Carefully Taught", "I Cain't Say No"  (and Julie Andrews' version, "I Cahn't Say Cain't")
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:20:18 PM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

François

« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2009, 12:31:17 PM »

Check this ... you may not believe your eyes!

(One of the comments is:

Hey! What a coincidence! The same thing happened over spring break at the Greyhound station in Portlan

So JMK may confirm it!)

That makes me cry but I am so shallow!! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UE3CNu_rtY

AND I don't even care if it is to promote the show ...

SO MUCH JOY!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2009, 12:44:28 PM »

Back to my Alphabetical Musicals Project:

After Debby did Dallas I finally got to Les Demoiselles de Rochefort, my favorite Jacque Demi/Michel Legrand score.  I first saw it when it came out with subtitles, and later one of the networks aired the British release which had the entire score sung in English.  I have it somewhere in a box on a reel-to-reel.  Although Gene Kelly didn't do his own singing in the French version (only Danielle Dariuex did--she, by the way, took over for Hepburn when she left Coco on Broadway), he sang on the Englilsh track, as I believe did George Chakiris and Grover Dale.

My memory of the English version is that it was a terrific translation, rendering a lot of the word-play of the original which was lost in the subtitles;  e.g, when Maxence says he has he is going to Nante on leave (a perme, he jokes "j'ais une perme à Nante", une permanante = a permanent.  The translation changes the city and he sings "I was born to lose in Toulouse".  Even the dinner scene, in which the banal conversation is entirely in classical alexandrine verse, is rendered thus in the English.  There is even a gratuitous pun when Gene Kelly sings, "So long, Solange."

I'm sure our French members could point out more examples, but one of the fun things about Demi is his sense of humor--not just obvious things like the deus ex machina fairy godmother in Peau d'Ane arriving in a helicopter, but jokes in the coördination of the sets and costumes in Les Parapluies de Cherbourg.  And of course, Les Demoiselles is one long extended joke of potential lovers constantly passing like ships in the night.

I only wish the CD had more of the score and the songs were all in the right order.  Hint, hint!
--Wayland Flowers

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2009, 12:47:05 PM »

I am having a very hard time trying to pare down my book collection.        :P

That is all.

Welcome to the club! And I got rid of 80 cartons worth of books.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »

And just to prove that JR and I aren't the only ones, Frances herself is mentioned in NEXT TO NORMAL.  So there.

Frances Farmer appeared in the reading of SHOOTING STAR this week.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2009, 12:50:03 PM »

TOD:

King and I-- terrific book,   South Pacific

Movie-- Sound of Music-- not the sappy play

Sorry - I saw the national company in 1962 of the sappy play and I think it's much better than the film version.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2009, 12:53:35 PM »

Frances Farmer appeared in the reading of SHOOTING STAR this week.

And to think they could have Frances AND Judy, if only they would option my STARCROSSED.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2009, 01:01:28 PM »

I walked to the River and along the Hudson. It was wonderful.

I then came home, got the mail, walked over to Time-Warner and paid the cable bill.

I walked down the block and had a small sample of pizza from a man in front of a Pizzeria who was handing out samples.

I then walked through Madison Square Park looking at the Dog Run and seeing happy dogs playing in the sun.

I walked over to 6th Avenue and down the street and came home.

I just paid Con Ed, Verizon and my Equity dues and Anthony's Equity dues. The Internet is a wonderful thing!

I will now take a shower and prepare for my evening with the wonderful, witty and wild Larry Moore.

Later, gaters.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2009, 01:07:28 PM »

Thanks for the news on DR Vixmom. Glad she had the easier procedure done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2009, 01:19:37 PM »

YAY for DR Vixmom!  I'm so glad she had the easier procedure.

DR WFO, if you talk to her today, tell her she needs to ask her doctor if she should take gall supplements.

:D
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2009, 01:26:14 PM »

At the office yesterday after luch, I began feeling the oncome of a sore throat.  By the time I got home it was worse and then by late evening I had a fever.  When I woke up this morning my throat felt like I had swallowed glass shards and I've just felt overall crappy the whole day.  I just woke up from a nap and I feel a little bit better. 

It sucks because it is such a beautiful day out and I had planned to do some cleaning in the back yard. 
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2009, 01:31:03 PM »

vixmom just called me.  She is out of the hospital.  The doctors wanted her to get some fresh air and start walking, so vixdad took her to Sunken Meadow Park, and she walked on the boardwalk a while with her walker, came home and called me, and is going to lie down for a while.  They want her to stay home from work for two weeks but try to get some walking in.  It's not the walking that hurts, she said, but the getting up and down.  btw the gall bladder problem was entirely unrelated to the chemo.

Since Joe has been doing his doctor-ordered walking in the same park--although he hasn't been there yet this year--he offered to drive her there during the week. They can both take out their walkers and do a production of The Producers.
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2009, 01:33:23 PM »

Back from errands and whatnot.  Unbelievably awful traffic everywhere in this stupid city.  I mean EVERYWHERE.  Dead standstill traffic.  Apparently, this weekend if rife with expos and big events all over the city.  Frankly, I don't care how many of those there are, it doesn't really explain why traffic on the 101 going both east and west would be backed up from downtown LA to the 405 going west, and from the 405 to downtown going east. 

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2009, 01:33:34 PM »

TOD:

While I think I like OKLAHOMA as a stage musical the best, I prefer the score of SOUTH PACIFIC.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2009, 01:36:02 PM »

I must now watch a motion picture on DVD - not for pleasure, but for work as regards the next Kritzerland soundtrack release.  The LP version of this film soundtrack had most of the tracks in an order completely unrelated to how the music is in the film - sometimes that's fine, but in this case it doesn't make for a good listening experience.  For example, the film's musical prologue is first on the LP - the main titles that should follow that track are, in fact, the last cut on side two of the LP.  That's just ridiculous.  So, I'm making note of the film order and if it plays better that way, I'm changing the track order - if not, I'll leave it as is, save for moving the main title back where it belongs.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2009, 01:42:22 PM »

Some clouds have moved into the area, but it's still beautiful out. I enjoyed the fresh air while I cooked lunch.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

François

« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2009, 01:42:40 PM »

vixmom just called me.  She is out of the hospital.  The doctors wanted her to get some fresh air and start walking, so vixdad took her to Sunken Meadow Park, and she walked on the boardwalk a while with her walker, came home and called me, and is going to lie down for a while.  They want her to stay home from work for two weeks but try to get some walking in.  It's not the walking that hurts, she said, but the getting up and down.  btw the gall bladder problem was entirely unrelated to the chemo.

Since Joe has been doing his doctor-ordered walking in the same park--although he hasn't been there yet this year--he offered to drive her there during the week. They can both take out their walkers and do a production of The Producers.

Thank you William.
You make me laugh through my tears!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2009, 01:51:36 PM »

While I ate lunch, I watched last night's FLASHPOINT. It was a rerun, but since I only recently started watching the show, it was all new to me. Henry Czerny was the primary guest star,and like usual with this show, I was wiping away big tears by the time it was over. These poor people pushed into impossible situations and trying anything to keep their heads above water and running afoul of the law.

A really compassionate cop show which is very unique in today's TV climate.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up