Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AOHELL  (Read 33807 times)

Tomovoz

Re:AOHELL
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2004, 01:02:26 PM »

DR Jane. I am still smiling. Fosca (and indeed Magnus also) was delighted by the Echo greeting. Thank you from all of us.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 01:38:29 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Bevan

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2004, 01:06:29 PM »

DR (hehe, I really like that!) Jenny, I registered way back in January.  Long before you even registered ;)  But I actually started posting yesterday.

Yes, I am a Sondheim.com member.  Crazy people, but I love them :)

Robin

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2004, 01:29:24 PM »

As to today's topic of the day...

I've mentioned, over and over again, that my favorite musical is A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, so I'd use the Time Machine to see the original production with Zero Mostel.  Probably not the most imaginative use of the machine, but it'd be my first choice.

Failing that, seeing Angela Lansbury in either Sweeney Todd or Dear World, would be a close second and third places.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2004, 01:39:31 PM »

I just caught up on the past few days' daily threads, and I have so much to respond to!  In fact, I took notes as I read!  I have my long list of topics in front of me, and I'm ready to post!  ::Cracks knuckles::

William F. Orr - I'm so happy to hear that Joe is back home.  

Robin - Thank you for posting about the situation in Dayton the other day.  My English teacher had told us about it, but after I searched the web and couldn't find any information about it, I assumed that she had made it up in order to get a reaction out of us.  Of course, this is one of those stories that I hoped wasn't true, but I'm glad to have gotten some sort of clarification.

BK - I PMed you my address on a school computer, and I'm not sure that it went through because, well, school computers are mean.  Did you receive it?

Michael Shayne - I think that the "Salem Stalker"'s killing spree will turn out to be a townwide dream that will conclude with everyone coming back to life.  It's just too strange!  They killed off almost the entire cast!  Marlena has done some strange things in the past (likw when she turned into the devil), but this is ridiculous.  Do you remember Celeste's premonition that John would kill Marlena?  Clearly that's what the past few episodes have been preparing for.  He knows that she's the killer, so he'll have to kill her.  Why do they call her the "Salem Stalker", by the way?  She's not a stalker, she's a killer.  They should get their criminal terminology correct!

William E. Lurie - The quality of Disney movies has diminished significantly over the past ten years or so.  Sadly, I can't write angry letters about it because my family would be on the streets were it not for Disney.  My father is an ABC News reporter, and therefor, a "Disney Cast Member".  ::)  Hopefully Eisner will be voted out and Roy Disney will hold the keys to the [Magic] Kingdom.

::Breathes::

Last night, I watched two motion pictured on DVD entitled "The Line King" and "Suburbia".  Actually, "The Line King" was on PBS and "Suburbia" was on VHS, but I wanted to use BK's line.  ;)  "The Line King" was wonderful.  The documentarian managed to chronicle the history of the American theatre over the past hundred years through the Hirschfeld's life and work.  It was both incredibly enjoyable and informative.  Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for "Suburbia".  Though I enjoyed the movie slightly more than the play (Which I read), that isn't saying too much because I truly disliked the play.  Though the characters are very realistic, it's difficult for me to devote two hours of my life to people who, in real life, I absolutely despise.  I have no positive feelings for these characters whatsoever, nor do I find them interesting or amusing.  That being said, the film was well directed and well acted (With the exception of the actor playing Tim, who seemed far too attractive, intelligent, and normal for the character), but simply not my cup of tea.

I'm seeing "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" tonight.  Seeing three movies in one weekend couldn't be more unlike me.  I haven't rented a video since I forgot to return "Funny Face" and decided that I'd rather never rent a movie again than pay the late fees, and the last movie that I saw in a theatre was "Thirteen".
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 01:42:18 PM by Jenny »
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2004, 01:48:11 PM »

She of the Evil Eye is gone and the home environment is mine again.  Just picked up the new Pink Panther DVD box (I already had the region two but I like the packaging more on the US version), and Myra Breckinridge, which I can't wait to watch.

I should have saved this topic for Monday and maybe we'll revisit it then when we don't have so many errant and truant.

Happy people are reading away and more than happy that it's enjoyable.  I got a wonderful e-mail from someone who read it because of classmates.com and they loved it and for this particular chap it's his portal back to his favorite time in his favorite neighborhood.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2004, 02:07:44 PM »

Oh, and Jenny, I did get the address and a package is winging its way to you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2004, 02:11:12 PM »

What am I, doing a monologue?  You all simply must go read dear reader Ann's review she wrote for amazon.com and which she also posted here under the Kritzer Time Thoughts thread on the Kritzer board on our main page.  Do it - she wrote so beautifully it brought tears to my eyes.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2004, 02:19:48 PM »

In no particular order, these are just a few of the performers that I'd love to have seen live:

Both Topol and Paul Sorvino and Patti LuPone in The Baker's Wife
Elaine Stritch in Company (her career-defining role) and At Liberty

DR George,  I believe - and I could be wrong here - that Topol and Carole Demas were replaced at the same time; I don't know if Lupone ever did the show with Topol.

I would have loved to see Stritch in GOLDILOCKS because I love the score; I asked her what went wrong with it and she, "Agnes de Mille killed with too many dances."  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2004, 02:40:42 PM »

Ann -- That was, indeed, a beuatiful review for Kritzer Time.  Very nicely written.  It brought tears to my eyes, as well; or perhaps it was the peanut butter and garlic sandwich that I was eating at the time!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2004, 02:42:50 PM »

Well, DR's, I had a wonderful surprise treat today -- the Benjamin Kritzer tour of LA. Got to see many of the major sites of Benjamin's life, including his homes on Sherbourne Drive (alas no hanging salami on the porch) and Bolton Rd.; the sites of the Erro restaurant and dear Leo's Delicatessen; Marty's Bike and Candy Shop; the Adohr Farms bottling plant; the very spot where Mrs. Wallet taught 4th grade at Crescent Heights Elementary School; Louis Pasteur Jr. High; Hamilton ("Hami") High, various iconic theaters, and so on - many, many fascinating places. I won't name everything we saw because of the possibility of spoilers for those who haven't yet read the three books. But it was a grand tour of Kritzerville with a uniquely qualified tour guide and I enjoyed it immensely.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 03:02:36 PM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2004, 02:46:47 PM »

The Kritzer Tour is available for anyone in the LA area.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2004, 02:47:17 PM »

Oh, and I also got the new Peyton Place DVD.  Yummy.  I used up all my credit but lots of good stuff.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2004, 03:34:16 PM »

JRand53 congratulations on the success of your show!

Tomovoz, the thought of a smile on all your faces makes a happy.  We could not have done it without Keith.  :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2004, 03:34:19 PM »

I see people but I don't see postings.  I see people just sitting there like so much fish.  I think the fish should swim and post, don't you?  Forty-five minutes without a post for my mental delectation?  Skammen (Shame) as Mr. Ingmar Bergman would say.  I just wrote some pages, I'm wrote out for the moment and now I must get some allergy pills as I've run out.  I'm going to try Clariton to see if it works for me.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2004, 03:44:29 PM »

Ann you captured Kritzer Time beautifully.  

Danise

« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2004, 03:45:09 PM »

Evening all.  I'm very tired tonight as I spent the day spenting money here and there.  I take issue with anyone who says shopping isn't hard work.  It was worth it.  I found some lovely treasures.  

STEAK TARTARE OR CANNIBAL BALLS

I wasn't going to tell ya'l this because I was afraid I'd gross some people out.  Don't read the following if talking about raw meat bothers you.

I grew up with cannibal sandwiches--raw ground meat, salt, pepper and raw onion slices.  No raw egg.  My parents (who are from Pittsburgh, PA) said that's what they used to serve in the bars.  

I'm forever "stealing" a slice of beef roast or steak before it's cooked and any steak I have is Medium/Rare or very Rare.    

I'm not sure about the raw egg part I I think I would ask them to hold that) but I bet I would LOVE steak tartare.  What would stop me from ordering it would be the worry about grossing anyone I was with out.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2004, 03:47:47 PM »

Bruce if only you had waited a few seconds to post.   ;D

Jane

« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2004, 03:49:56 PM »

Danise it sounds as if you can safely order the steak tartare.  

Speaking of food, I'm hungry for my tofu, but first must feed the pets.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2004, 03:57:09 PM »

Ooh, a mini-posting frenzy.  More, please.  Just took a Claritin, which is supposed to give relief for a full day, so I shall report whether it works for me or not.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2004, 03:58:17 PM »

Certainly was a beautiful first day of spring here with crisp air, sunshine, some clouds, but lovely overall. Showers supposed to move in tonight, but otherwise, spring has sprung itself proud in these parts.

Now, off to watch the Coens' INTOLERABLE CRUELTY.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2004, 04:05:12 PM »

Here are two headlines from from AOL Entertainment news which cry out for the return of the Monty Python troupe:

Yasser Arafat Says Gibson Film Not Anti-Semitic

and

Jesus Battles Zombies at the U.S. Box Office

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2004, 04:08:18 PM »

Danise it sounds as if you can safely order the steak tartare.  

Jane -- Have you ever had tofu tartare?  I think, at most places, if you can say it three times fast, it is free.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2004, 04:12:50 PM »

Jrand53, congratulations on a grand first showing! But with you as director how could it be any other way.

Well Dear Readers I had some rather unsettling news this Friday. My doctor informed me that I am diabetic (type 2)! I knew that eventually this would be the case, but I wasn't quite ready for the the reality of it. My father was diagnosed as diabetic when he was in his 50s and my mother informs me that one of his daughters from his first marriage is also diabetic. Thanks for the wonderful genes Dad!! Aargh!

On Wednesday I go to a diabetic education class that my endocrinoligist is sending me to and then I suppose I will learn how to totally readjust my lifestyle. I will certainly miss my daily dose of dark chocolate!! But I guess it isn't the end of the world and I am quite thankfull it was diagnosed early on so as to avoid the possible difficulties that could crop up. And BK I even went and bought some diet Coke (with lime) to try out. Can't say I really liked it a lot, but it was not as terrible as I remember diet drinks to be. I think I will just stick with water.

I guess you really do start to fall apart at age 40!

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2004, 04:17:11 PM »

...but on a lighter note I worked all the live long day in my yard as it was a fairly nice day out. It is cloudy now, but the sun was out for awhile and it was at least in the upper 60s...shorts weather for sure!  :D

My yard is spruced up nicely but there is still one flower bed along the drive-way that needs some desperate weeding!

Now to retire to the living room to watch a 1931 movie I taped off of TCM this week called THE LAST FLIGHT which stars some of my favorite 1930s performers...David Manners, Helen Chandler, Richard Barthelmess, and Johnny Mack Brown!

Tomovoz

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2004, 04:17:40 PM »

Some of us too old to even remember falling apart. Did that happen at 40? I have no idea.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2004, 04:26:25 PM »

I know I've only had tofu once. Can't say I cared for it.

My animals have already let me know it is quite PASSED feeding time. And I didn't take them for a walk.

We did have a lovely day.  Nice and warm.

My eye doctor was the one who told me that it was all down hill from here when I turned 40.  I laughed at the time but it still kinda hurt.  Now, I don't worry about it.   :)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 04:32:14 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2004, 04:33:41 PM »

DR Jane, if you ever get to New York, there is a fantastic Chinese restaurant with the most wonderful "homestyle beancurd."  It's really wonderful!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2004, 04:53:17 PM »

Homestyle beancurd.  I draw the line right there.

Have you ever drawn the line?  I have:

Lovely, isn't it?  I'm in Peyton Place right now, and enjoying myself.  Never been there before.  Claritin seems to be helping a bit.

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2004, 04:56:16 PM »

Good vibes to DR MBarnum ~~~~~~~~~
I'm curious what your doctor recommended. Is it mostly just staying away from sweets?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2004, 04:57:38 PM »

Sweets.  I must stay away from sweets, too.  I can eat Atkins sweets but they taste peculiar.  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up