Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AOHELL  (Read 33842 times)

Danise

Re:AOHELL
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2004, 05:02:25 PM »

I found Diet Right Cola and it's made with Splenda.  It's pretty good.  Had my first glass with dinner tonight.  Zero carbs but you wouldn't guess from the taste.  
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 05:03:09 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2004, 05:46:31 PM »

I see the new haineshisway.com Saturday thing:  One post every forty-five minutes.  Oh, dear, oh, dear.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2004, 05:48:09 PM »

And I don't think I will repeat the topic of discussion on Monday -why should we give the errant and truant any fun?  Nosireebob or nosireenorman we shall not repeat our excellent topic of discussion.  Those who posted today made cherce posts and that is that, in my humble opinion (IMHO, in Internet lingo).  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2004, 05:48:43 PM »

And furthermore I shall not allow any further forty-five minute lulls, even if I'm doing a monologue.  What care I for tinsel and glamour?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2004, 05:49:23 PM »

And then there was one.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2004, 05:55:49 PM »

I just came back from Whole Foods. Sampled my way through the store. Here's one for Jane - hide your eyes,bk, you won't like this - I sampled a Tofurky Kielbasa. It was delish. People kept coming back for more samples (I had three). And I bought a pack.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2004, 05:55:58 PM »

Some of us too old to even remember falling apart. Did that happen at 40? I have no idea.

I don't know about the "falling apart" imagery (!!!), but it was at age 40 that I went to my optometrist and told him that I thought I needed a new prescription.

Why is that? he asked.   Because, said I, I have to take my glasses off to read, and I never used to have to do that.

He ROARED with laughter.  At first I thought he'd completely lost his mind.  

Then he said, "When are you folks over 40 going to realize that you don't need new prescriptions...you need bifocals."

I just sat there and stared at him.  

He laughed and laughed.

One of his cohorts came in and asked what was going on.  I said, "He thinks I'm 'folks over 40' without a clue."

My doctor laughed even harder.  His cohort joined in.

But soon enough he apologized and said I was the fifth patient he'd had that day who had said the same thing -- that I needed a prescription change because I had to take my glasses off to read.  He said he was certain that my normal vision prescription was just fine but that I'd need a bifocal prescription.

Happily, for me, he was wrong.  My normal vision needed a slight correction.  I got a prescription for glasses that included both normal vision and bifocal vision and I was good to go.

But, honestly, was all that hilarity called for? It's not like someone gave me a manual when I turned 40.

A year earlier I'd had to start taking medication for hypertension.

And, yes, things have "developed" since then.

But I haven't fallen apart.  I've just sort of stumbled on the wayside.  Thus far.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2004, 06:00:38 PM »

Thanks for the vibes Jennifer. I don't know yet what I will have to do...I am sure sweets will be a thing of the past, however!  >:(

But I will know more on Wednesday when I see the Doc and get myself educated.

I am in the middle of that 1931 THE LAST FLIGHT...Helen Chandler is one strange gal! I loved her in DRACULA though. I understand she went a little looney in her old age....but frankly I am thinking she was always that way! ;)

Panni

« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2004, 06:02:05 PM »

I also bought Turkey Jerky - which I had sampled at the Studio City Farmers Market and found quite good. They had a big display of the stuff packaged at Whole Foods and I was in that Turkey Jerky mood that hits you on a Saturday night. Didn't check the price - how much could a little pack of Turkey Jerky be, right? Wrong. I took my groceries to the car and opened the Turkey Jerky, thinking i'd chew some on the way home. Cowboy Anna. As soon as I opened the airtight pack I was ready to vomit. Ugh. What a strong smell. There was nothing wrong with it, just SO strong. And then I tasted it. Vomit city. So I got out of my car (this all happened while I was still parked) and went right back to the store and returned it. Which is when I found out that it was $11! For turkey jerky? Sheeesh.

Panni

« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2004, 06:04:57 PM »

Tofurky Kielbasa and Turkey Jerky.
...Just thought I'd say that.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2004, 06:09:14 PM »

Tofurky Kielbasa and Turkey Jerky???  Panni, you are lucky you weren't arrested.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2004, 06:14:56 PM »

That was only a five minute lull between posts.  Things are improving.

MBarnum -- I am very sorry to hear about your health woes, but I am glad to hear that you realize that it isn't the end of the world.  I will second those good vibes

[move=left, scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES![/move]

“One thing’s universal,

Danise

« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2004, 06:41:13 PM »

Well, RLP atleast your doing betting in the sight department than I am.  

I have to wear contacts to correct my far vision.  I'm nearsighted to the end of my nose.  Can't see my hand clearly in I held it in front of my face but I also have to wear reading glasses (with the contacts) to be able to read a book.  That's part of what has slowed me down.  My eyes get really tired if I read for very long.  It's also why I bounce on and off the net.  

I tend to leave everything up because it's such a pain to go back to it but sometimes I'm watching TV or talking to my Mom or the dogs, giving my eyes a break.

I have never been to the doctor in my whole life as much as I  have been these past couple of years.  First a kidney stone and surgery for that then other surgery.  Then high blood pressure (but not now I'm very glad to say) among other problems.  

It's such a joy getting older.   :)  At least it isn't boring.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2004, 06:41:36 PM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.  And welcome to Ludlow29, our newest registered member.

Panni

« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2004, 06:47:04 PM »

Sugarless health vibes your way, DR MBarnum.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2004, 06:50:47 PM »

For reasons known only to God and to AOL, I am not able to get my posts to scroll from my home computer.  At my office, it works just fine, but here, it just sits there like so much fish!
“One thing’s universal,

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2004, 06:53:17 PM »

I have been doing heavy duty spring cleaning Dear Readers.  And once I get going, I don't stop, as the urge seldom makes its appearance.  I even had a ticket for an advance screening of Dogville, but decided to skip it while I was on this spring cleaning roll.

I bought some jerky once.  Smells like vomit.  Chews like shoe leather (oh, a Charlie Chaplin reference.)  I had bought it to eat as lunch on a long hike I took in Yosemite National Park.  I'd sooner eat roots and leaves.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2004, 07:05:00 PM »

Thanks Panni and TCB. The upside is that without all that sugary food and other not so good for you foodstuffs (and no cigs), and the need to exercise...I will be one hell of a healthy dear reader! LOL!

Finished watching THE LAST FLIGHT...now I must look through my other videos of stuff I have taped and see what looks good...perhaps DINNER AT 8...believe it or not I have never seen that movie! I think I will watch it right now! ;D

Of course I still have to watch TEHZEEB so as to get my weekend Bollywood fix!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2004, 07:20:29 PM »

.perhaps DINNER AT 8...believe it or not I have never seen that movie! I think I will watch it right now! ;D

DR MBarnum, DINNER AT 8 is fab!  I think you'll really like it.  Marie Dressler is wonderful, and I think it's my favorite Harlow role.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2004, 07:22:32 PM »

Dearest friend, my dear BK, this tired thing is going to bed.  I look forward to tomorrow's column and tomorrow night's lively chat.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2004, 07:32:13 PM »

TCB-ROTFLOL

MBarnum-I’m sorry.  I’m pleased to read you have stayed away from the cigarettes.  Please take care of yourself and GOOD VIBES for an easy adjustment.

Tomovoz-LOL

Elmore if I make it to NY in Oct. I hope we can meet at the Chinese restaurant.

Panni I shall have to check out the Tofurky Kielbasa.  So far I have found Tofurky to taste a bit like cardboard.

RPL-great story

They make tofu jerky too & it must be as least as gross as regular jerky.  I won’t taste it myself to find out. My kids like it, in fact we recently sent some to Romania.

I have always been extremely nearsighted.  The upside of this is I can now read without glasses, as long as what I’m reading is in my face.  

Good night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2004, 07:42:18 PM »

Holy moley, are we on our way to a new low?  If so, tough cookies.  That's the way it is, baby.  Because what we got is cherce.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2004, 07:44:46 PM »

I would have loved to see Stritch in GOLDILOCKS because I love the score;

I saw GOLDILOCKS at its Philly try-out. I was naive at the time and didn't know that sophisticated theatre goers never laugh out loud during previews; so I had grand time throughout ACT I chortling away. As we got up to leave for intermission the lovely lady, seated behind us,  in a gorgeous jade green formal,  said to me: I'm so glad you're enjoying the show. Then Jean Kerr went to the lobby and chatted with the well wishers.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2004, 07:51:21 PM »

Speaking of food, I'm hungry for my tofu, but first must feed the pets.

Jane, feeding tofu to pets is animal cruelty!!!

My favorite bumper sticker;

I DON'T EAT VEGEATBLES!
I EAT THINGS THAT EAT VEGETABELES!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2004, 08:04:15 PM »

Sorry to hear your news, MBarnum. After I turned 40, I started having more physical ailments like back trouble and pulled muscles. Things I could do without even thinking about them now can lead to serious soreness and strain that takes weeks to get over. That has been the biggest adjustment for me about getting older.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Laura II

« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2004, 08:06:15 PM »

Hi everyone! *waves*

I would've loved to see the original cast of She Loves Me and the original cast of (don't laugh) Annie. I remember meeting Andrea McArdle when I was 10 or 11, and it was such a thrill to meet the original Annie. I, like many other young girls, grew up with the score and the dream that I might play Annie. In fact, although there was never really a local theatre that produced the show, I played Annie in my elementary school's musical revue in 6th grade. I still have the dress and the red wig! (The first wig the lady tried to sell me was an orange clown wig that I immediately refused. She special ordered a wig from NYC called the Annie wig, and I remember thinking I was oh-so-cool for having a wig from Manhattan. :P)

MBarnum, I'm sorry to hear about the diabetes, but I'm happy to hear that you're feeling all right about the adjustment. One note for all readers regarding diet soda: Last night, my parents saw someone on tv talking about how diet soda is worse for a person than regular soda is. I don't drink diet, so I don't remember what was said about it, but my brother does (and he drinks a lot of it). From now on, my parents are making him limit his intake of it. I just wanted to suggest that you diet drinkers look into this claim.

Oh, I was accepted to the College of William and Mary today! I'm excited, but now I have decide between schools. (I only applied to La Salle and W&M, and now I have to decide which one is the best for me.) Just thought I'd share the news!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2004, 08:13:39 PM »

I
Robin - Thank you for posting about the situation in Dayton the other day.  My English teacher had told us about it, but after I searched the web and couldn't find any information about it, I assumed that she had made it up in order to get a reaction out of us.  Of course, this is one of those stories that I hoped wasn't true, but I'm glad to have gotten some sort of clarification.

Here is the AP release:

Tenn. County Wants to Charge Homosexuals
The Associated Press
Wednesday, March 17, 2004; 1:37 PM

Here is the AP update:

County Reverses Proposal to Ban Gays
Friday, March 19, 2004

DAYTON, Tenn. — The county that was the site of the Scopes "Monkey Trial"  over the teaching of evolution Thursday reversed its call to ban homosexuals.

Rhea County  commissioners took about three minutes to retreat from a request to amend state law so the county can charge homosexuals with crimes against nature. The Tuesday measure passed 8-0.

County attorney Gary Fritts  said the initial vote triggered a "wildfire" of reaction. "I've never seen nothing like this," he said Thursday.

Social worker Esther Jackson, 24 — one of 300 people who attended Thursday's meeting — held a sign reading: "Breed Love, Not Hate."

"It's just ignorance is all," she said of Tuesday's vote.
But 12-year-old Caitlin Kinney, attending the meeting with her mother, said she supported the commissioners' initial vote.

"I think they should go further, try to see if they can ban them," she said. "It's not a Christian thing."

der Brucer (Humms..."You've got to be carefully taught!")

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2004, 08:16:18 PM »

I watched INTOLERABLE CRUELTY tonight. Has some of that typical quirky Coen wackiness about it though I found it by far the most mainstream of their comedies. George Clooney and Catherine Zeta-Jones are just fine for their roles (and there are fewer more gorgeous creatures on earth than these two), and where has that adorable Paul Adelstein been hiding all my life? As Clooney's legal partner and best friend, I thought he stole almost every scene he was in.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2004, 08:16:57 PM »

Hey, everyone!

I just got back from spending the last 24 hours or so with my best friend, and I had a wonderful time.  I saw "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" this evening...it was sooooooo good.  

Here's my review!

This film was an intellectual rollercoaster that also really engaged me on an emotional level as well.  I am convinced that Charlie Kaufman is one of the greatest screenwriters out there, and he certainly knows how to squeeze a simple meta-concept for all it's worth.  Like Being John Malkovich and Adaptation, this film subjugates reality to the powers of the imagination and human will.  

You would think a movie about erasing painful romantic memories would be cold and cynical.  On the contrary, I found it extremely life-and-love-affirming.  I don't want to give away spoilers (and there ARE twists, although they're not entirely unpredictable).  But halfway through the procedure, Carrey's character, Joel, decides he wants to keep his memories of Kate Winslet's character, Clementine, and the surreal, masterfully directed parade of images that follows is one of the most romantic things I have ever seen in my life.  

As for the performances, Carrey has FINALLY found a dramatic role that suits him perfectly, and the mixture of humor and lovelorn pensiveness he brings to his character is truly wonderful.  As for Winslet, this may be the best performance I have ever seen her give (and there have been so many!).  Her American accent is flawless, she exudes shockwaves of charm and sex appeal, and her acting is just fabulous.  Liked Elijah Wood, Kirsten Dunst, and Tom Wilkinson as well, particularly Dunst.  I'm not always a fan of hers, but what she did in this movie was right on key.

(Like the rumors that even those walking OUTSIDE of City Center when Tallulah was playing Blanche duBois were struck gay, I think the same can be said for many at the St. James when Ethel was in DOLLY.)

HAHAHAHAH!

I saw GOLDILOCKS at its Philly try-out. I was naive at the time and didn't know that sophisticated theatre goers never laugh out loud during previews; so I had grand time throughout ACT I chortling away. As we got up to leave for intermission the lovely lady, seated behind us,  in a gorgeous jade green formal,  said to me: I'm so glad you're enjoying the show. Then Jean Kerr went to the lobby and chatted with the well wishers.

Great story!  I like the score to Goldilocks!  "I Never  Know When To Say When" is such a wonderful, poignant song.  I don't know if the rest of the score really reaches that level, but I enjoy it.

As for the performances I would most like to go back in time and see:

Merman in Gypsy
Lansbury in Mame
Cariou and Lansbury in Sweeney Todd
Alexis Smith in Follies
Peters and Patinkin in Sunday in the Park with George
Drake in Kiss Me Kate
Peters and Preston in Mack and Mabel
Verdon in Sweet Charity
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 08:21:40 PM by Maya »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2004, 08:18:14 PM »

Maya!  LauraII!  Jenny (who simply MUST post)!  Let's have us a partay.

She Loves Me is a great choice - that would have really been something to see.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up