Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AOHELL  (Read 33836 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:AOHELL
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2004, 08:22:37 PM »

hehe...well, BK, I just bought the DVD of "Camp" and I feel like a "Camp" fix...but I shall check in later, so PARTY ON!!!!  :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2004, 08:29:23 PM »

I tried.  No one can say I didn't try.  Jenny left without posting, Maya is camping, I don't know what.  Perhaps I'll eat some worms.  And these damn Claritins, which I thought were working, are not and I'm dying and afraid to take Actifed on top of the Claritin.  Not that I have any Actifed - I ran out.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2004, 08:33:22 PM »

It seemed innocuous enough.  Come hear a sermon by a soon-to-graduate seminary student (whose brother-in-law is my first cousin), and, to make things easier, it was walking distance.  We arrived, along with relatives who'd come much farther, at 9:30 a.m.  The clock was nearing 1 p.m. when the sermon was finally delivered.

Three hours (plus!) of religious services!  I don't mean to offend anyone or their beliefs, but we find organized religion specious and discomfiting and left with a much lower opinion of this particular religion than we'd had when we came in.  What possible excuse is there for a service running on that long?

Our day was destroyed, because the event tired us so, and we'd just not planned to be there for that long.  I had been offered a gig at noon and assumed I'd be able to make that.  Good thing I wasn't confident in my assumption and said no.  I'm hopping mad about it!

>:(
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2004, 08:36:41 PM »

Hi everyone! *waves*

Oh, I was accepted to the College of William and Mary today! I'm excited, but now I have decide between schools. (I only applied to La Salle and W&M, and now I have to decide which one is the best for me.) Just thought I'd share the news!

Congratulations, Laura II!  That is great news.  But you're right, it is going to be tough deciding between William and Mary.

Jane, don't do anything until you have heard from me.  I am still checking with the State Department, but it is possible that sending tofu jerky to Romania may be a violation of the U.N. Charter.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2004, 08:36:55 PM »

Laura II - Congratulations!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2004, 08:38:17 PM »

I saw the original SHE LOVES ME and fell deeply in love with the show since then. Most people who have seen local productions have disliked the show, but maybe it was seeing it with those wonderful people in a perfect production that placed the show so firmly in my heart. A couple of years later, I got to see Barbara Cook in SHOW BOAT, and she was equally wonderful in that, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2004, 08:39:36 PM »

I'm SO hungry I may have to actually eat some Tofurky Kielbasa.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2004, 08:43:05 PM »

Is anyone planning on watching the new HBO western series DEADWOOD tomorrow night after THE SOPRANOS. The reviews have been all over the map, some praising it as a raunchy and ribald original take on the genre, and others have condemned its overuse of profanity and uninteresting supporting characters. Guess some of us will have to see for ourselves.

It can't be any weirder than CARNIVALE.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 08:45:39 PM by Matt H. »

Ludlow29

• Some buck and wing, but why should I shake MY can?
    • http://www.MichaelColby.com
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2004, 08:46:04 PM »

Love seeing all those pictures from Dorothy Hart's "Thou Swell, Thou Witty: The Life and Lyrics of Lorenz Hart."  One picture that was especially haunting--but which we couldn't include--was a photo of the Hippodrome during the run of JUMBO.  Due to a double-exposure, it looked like ghosts were sauntering through the circus set.  And this was taken before FOLLIES.  Also, there were some wonderful, surrealistic photos from PEGGY-ANN.

There's one aspect I regret about the book:  there were a lot of lyric typos, made in the galleys.  I wish I'd had a chance to proof the pages before the book went to print.

Signed, Michael Colby (researcher for "Thou Swell, Thou Witty")  

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2004, 08:49:35 PM »

One note for all readers regarding diet soda[/b]: Last night, my parents saw someone on tv talking about how diet soda is worse for a person than regular soda is. I don't drink diet, so I don't remember what was said about it, but my brother does (and he drinks a lot of it). From now on, my parents are making him limit his intake of it. I just wanted to suggest that you diet drinkers look into this claim.

Dear, your parents are falling prey to an Urban Legend - the Aspartame scare has been ballyhooed (no relation to Bollywood) for years by nutrional wackos. (Aspartame is the main chemical in artifical sweeteners.)

Here is the Urban Legends Site:

(Extracts)

Claim:   The artificial sweetener aspartame is responsible for an epidemic of cancer, brain tumors, and multiple sclerosis.

Origins:  

·  Is Aspartame Safe?   (FDA):
To date, FDA has not determined any consistent pattern of symptoms that can be attributed to the use of aspartame, nor is the agency aware of any recent studies that clearly show safety problems.

·  Aspartame and the Internet   (The Lancet):
Our research revealed over 6000 web sites that mention aspartame, with many hundreds alleging aspartame to be the cause of multiple sclerosis, lupus erythematosis, Gulf War Syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome, brain tumours, and diabetes mellitus, among many others. Virtually all of the information offered is anecdotal, from anonymous sources and is scientifically implausible.

der willing-bebunker Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2004, 08:51:01 PM »

Is anyone planning on watching the new HBO western series DEADWOOD tomorrow night after THE SOPRANOS.

I am. Sounds interesting. And David Milch is a good writer.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2004, 08:54:40 PM »

I am. Sounds interesting. And David Milch is a good writer.

Great! We'll have to compare notes tomorrow or more likely Monday.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2004, 08:59:07 PM »

Hello fellow dear readers.
DR Sandra and I just returned from a trip to California to see the swallows return to San Juan Capistrano. Unfortunately, we didn't see them.  They didn't arrive on Friday, as tradition dictates. Today we couldn't get within two miles of the place, so we came on home. Swedish Chef Hat had a great time, though. Tomorrow I'll post a couple of pictures.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2004, 09:00:11 PM »

Hopping mad as I am, I see the diet-soda-is-no-better-for-you-than-regular-soda lie not as an urban legend but as deliberate disinformation put out there by the mighty and powerful sugar industry.  Sugar leads to millions of deaths a year, in reality, and aspartame ain't ever hurt no one.

Welcome old pal Ludlow.  I'm sure you'll find this site

comfy and cosy...
everybody loves you
when you're at Haines!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2004, 09:04:39 PM »

Hello fellow dear readers.
DR Sandra and I just returned from a trip to California to see the swallows return to San Juan Capistrano. Unfortunately, we didn't see them.  They didn't arrive on Friday, as tradition dictates. Today we couldn't get within two miles of the place, so we came on home. Swedish Chef Hat had a great time, though. Tomorrow I'll post a couple of pictures.

So close......and yet so far.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2004, 09:05:01 PM »

Love seeing all those pictures from Dorothy Hart's "Thou Swell, Thou Witty: The Life and Lyrics of Lorenz Hart."  One picture that was especially haunting--but which we couldn't include--was a photo of the Hippodrome during the run of JUMBO.  Due to a double-exposure, it looked like ghosts were sauntering through the circus set.  And this was taken before FOLLIES.  Also, there were some wonderful, surrealistic photos from PEGGY-ANN.

There's one aspect I regret about the book:  there were a lot of lyric typos, made in the galleys.  I wish I'd had a chance to proof the pages before the book went to print.

Signed, Michael Colby (researcher for "Thou Swell, Thou Witty")  

Well, I'm sure glad I quoted my sources :)

For the benefit of all, the Acknowledgements at the begining of "Thou Swell Thou Witty" conclude with:

"And lastly, very special thanks to Michael Colby, whose enthusiasm and dedication to the theatre are so reminiscent of the young Larry Hart's."

Splendid praise, indeed.

der Brucer (who acquired the book whilst gathering data for a potential show on Dorothy Hart SWW is dreaming of writting )

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2004, 09:10:08 PM »

Hi, Hainsies!

Finally got the water coming up into the house, and no more floods in the hallway! Even had a hot shower last night. oy. A Jew In The Woods...

Hey, about Barefoot in the Park -- yup, love that flick. I think that's where Neil Simon gave the great advice: write yiddish, cast British. Worked like a charm in that film!

Lovely day here in the woods today. i did  a lot of gardening - mostly clearing out last fall's weeds and underbrush, lots of deadfalls. I'm so tired! So it's lie in front of the idiot box for the rest of the night. Nytall.
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2004, 09:18:28 PM »

So, DR Panni, you've finally moved your plumbing back into the 20th Century?

That makes it an "in house", yes?

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2004, 09:20:45 PM »

This is PennyO, not DR Panni - and, no, I wouldn't exactly say my plumbing is quite up to 20th Century...
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2004, 09:24:45 PM »

I've just watched "Secondhand Lions" -- and I'm not quite sure what I think.

It should have been great, but it missed greatness.  Caine and Duvall and Osment are wonderful...but where oh! where are the bits that would make the movie magical?

An interesting film nonetheless.

Josh Lucas as the grown-up Walt (at the end of the film) was fine in the final cut, but the alternate ending, where he makes a long, maudlin speech (yes, prudence won the day) reminded me of his character in "Gods and Monsters"...all those sibiliant "esses."

It was cool seeing Adrian Pasdar playing one of the salesmen, and especially cool to see Christian Kane as the young Hub in the flashback sequences...all buckles and swashes and heroic derringdo.  

Quite a fanciful tale, this movie.  It needed a Horton Foote, Robert Mulligan and Alan Jay Pakula to make magic.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2004, 09:25:31 PM »

PS - nice to meet ya, RLP.
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2004, 09:26:19 PM »

This is PennyO, not DR Panni - and, no, I wouldn't exactly say my plumbing is quite up to 20th Century...

Shut my mouth.  Wide open.

I thought it was Panni having house troubles.

Scuse me, please, Penny!

Sorry, Panni.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2004, 09:26:27 PM »

I see PennyO, I see JennyO, I see PanniO, I see ColbyO, I see lots of Os.  Are we havin' a partay yet?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2004, 09:30:04 PM »

The pleasure is all mine, Penny-O.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2004, 09:30:48 PM »

::Partays::
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2004, 09:32:43 PM »

All we need here is Pogue, and it will be a happy Penny-O, Pogue, Panni and Pulliam partay.

And we shall have to dub, BK, as Bruce Pimmel so that he can be fit into the scheme of things (is it onomatopoeia?)

Jenny

« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2004, 09:33:05 PM »

::Wonders why this partay lacks pate::
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jenny

« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2004, 09:33:58 PM »

::Wonders if anything will happen when she reaches post 100::

Jenny

« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2004, 09:35:49 PM »

::Will there be another partay?  One even more splendid than the current partay?  One with pate?  One with little French accent marks that I can't figure out how to type?::

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2004, 09:36:59 PM »

Do you see AnnO?  Or how about AnnG?  
I went swimming today.  I haven't been swimming in many a year, so it was enjoyable.  Now I smell faintly of chlorine, despite having taken a shower.  I am also watching What Women Want.  I like this movie.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up