Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SOMETHING IS IN URANUS  (Read 20672 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: SOMETHING IS IN URANUS
« Reply #270 on: June 25, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »

Coincidentally - and sadly(?) - one of the phrases that comes to mind for the Topic of the Day...

... has left the building.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #271 on: June 25, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »

Certainly a day filled with sadness.  Almost forgotten in the double deaths today are the early morning photos of an extremely anorexic Courtney Love looking close to death, herself.  Following that the inevitable announcement of the death of Farrah Fawcett.  But then, even before we can start to mourn for Farrah, her story is all but kicked-off the front page by the unexpected death of Michael Jackson.

I agree with a lot of the things Ron said earlier about Mr. Jackson, but there is still plenty of things to mourn with his passing.   I will certainly pray tongiht for the three children of Mr Jackson, who are left behind to be placed in the center of a tug of war between Jackson's family and the childrens' mother.

Rest in Peace Farrah.

Rest in Peace Michael.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #272 on: June 25, 2009, 07:44:38 PM »

Welcome back, DR Ron Pulliam!

Whatcha been up to these past few days?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #273 on: June 25, 2009, 07:48:01 PM »

And tomorrow begins the TASTE OF TACOMA; notable to me because it means that after work tomorrow, I will become a virtual prisoner in my own home.  That means that I will be forced to spend three days and evenings sitting on my balcony watching tens of thousands of half-naked people stroll past my door.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #274 on: June 25, 2009, 07:48:50 PM »

And tomorrow begins the TASTE OF TACOMA; notable to me because it means that after work tomorrow, I will become a virtual prisoner in my own home.  That means that I will be forced to spend three days and evenings sitting on my balcony watching tens of thousands of half-naked people stroll past my door.

Or, just another day at the Reservoir for Jose!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #275 on: June 25, 2009, 07:49:19 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2009, 07:50:38 PM »

And it really has been interesting walking around NYC today...  First there were whispers about Farah Fawcett's passing... And then Michael Jackson's death...

I just got a call from a friend who's been walking up and down 125th Street the past few hours.  He said almost all the storefronts are blasting Michael Jackson songs... There's a tribute on the marquee of the Apollo Theatre... People are crying... And he's come across a couple of impromptu candelight vigils...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #277 on: June 25, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »

Or, just another day at the Reservoir for Jose!

Actually, since Sunday is NYC Pride, well... ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #278 on: June 25, 2009, 07:53:15 PM »

Michael Jackson rushed to the hospital not breathing.

I saw that he had died. I could not be more shocked!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #279 on: June 25, 2009, 07:53:46 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Sadly, after the events of today, I don't think your "wish" will be granted any time soon.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2009, 07:56:16 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS TO MATT H on His Millstone!

Thank you, DR Arnold! Very sweet of you to mention it.

And thanks to DR George who gave advance notice last night!

Matt H.

« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2009, 07:57:54 PM »

Well, I'm leaving now.  I need to get something to eat before rehearsal and I just want to leave work early. ;)

Tonight's our official opening night!

Until later!

I hope many limbs were broken and that all involved had a great time!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #282 on: June 25, 2009, 07:59:46 PM »

OH!

And I just heard that at the end of the curtain call for 9 to 5 tonight, the three leading ladies ended in the "Charlie's Angels" pose. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #283 on: June 25, 2009, 07:59:53 PM »

When I went downstairs, I proceeded to watch the rest of the bonus features in the CLOSER set. Not many were directly related to the making of the show, and that was sort of disappointing.

The gag reel was nice to see.

Matt H.

« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2009, 08:01:35 PM »

Then I watched PHONE BOOTH on Blu-ray. The used copy I bought a few days ago (<$10) came today, and it played beautifully. Really enjoyed seeing it again. I hadn't watch my DVD copy in several months, maybe even a year.

Matt H.

« Reply #285 on: June 25, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »

Next, I watched the silent version of THE STUDENT PRINCE. Oh, what a beautiful performance by Ramon Navarro! He's absolutely wonderful in this.

Matt H.

« Reply #286 on: June 25, 2009, 08:04:19 PM »

Then I watched tonight's BURN NOTICE.

I hope with what happened tonight, the police tailing Michael et al will be over for a while.

Sam had a sweet story tonight, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #287 on: June 25, 2009, 08:06:14 PM »

The Blu-ray of SPACEBALLS came winging in today for review. I'll be doing PINK PANTHER 2 tomorrow, so SPACEBALLS will have to wait until Saturday.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #288 on: June 25, 2009, 08:06:15 PM »

Certainly a day filled with sadness.  Almost forgotten in the double deaths today are the early morning photos of an extremely anorexic Courtney Love looking close to death, herself.  Following that the inevitable announcement of the death of Farrah Fawcett.  But then, even before we can start to mourn for Farrah, her story is all but kicked-off the front page by the unexpected death of Michael Jackson.

I think that it might turn out to be a strange kind of blessing.  The media circus and the associated vultures will be centering on Michael Jackson for the next month or so, hopefully leaving Farrah's family to grieve in a little bit more privacy than they might have otherwise not had.

I agree with a lot of the things Ron said earlier about Mr. Jackson, but there is still plenty of things to mourn with his passing.   I will certainly pray tongiht for the three children of Mr Jackson, who are left behind to be placed in the center of a tug of war between Jackson's family and the childrens' mother.

Rest in Peace Farrah.

Rest in Peace Michael.

I also can understand DR Ron's feelings earlier.  I know I have certainly come to despise both the man and his work over the years.  But I can't help but feel sad tonight.  And I think it's because I'm feeling sad about what was already lost years ago--the cool little kid who sang and danced with his brothers and then the talented young man who created the incredibly unforgettable music of the THRILLER album.  That's who I'll be continuing to miss...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #289 on: June 25, 2009, 08:12:58 PM »

I think that it might turn out to be a strange kind of blessing.  The media circus and the associated vultures will be centering on Michael Jackson for the next month or so, hopefully leaving Farrah's family to grieve in a little bit more privacy than they might have otherwise not had.

I agree with a lot of the things Ron said earlier about Mr. Jackson, but there is still plenty of things to mourn with his passing.   I will certainly pray tongiht for the three children of Mr Jackson, who are left behind to be placed in the center of a tug of war between Jackson's family and the childrens' mother.

Rest in Peace Farrah.

Rest in Peace Michael.

I also can understand DR Ron's feelings earlier.  I know I have certainly come to despise both the man and his work over the years.  But I can't help but feel sad tonight.  And I think it's because I'm feeling sad about what was already lost years ago--the cool little kid who sang and danced with his brothers and then the talented young man who created the incredibly unforgettable music of the THRILLER album.  That's who I'll be continuing to miss...

At least with Farrah Fawcett's passing, it was not unexpected.  -Oh, does anyone know if ABC went ahead and showed their special "20/20" dealing with Farrah Fawcett and Ryan O'Neal tonight?

A statement was just released from the UCLA Medical Center, it closes with: "Jackson’s family requests that the media respect their privacy during this tragic period of time."  Sadly, we all know that will most likely not be the case.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #290 on: June 25, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »

And one more Michael Jackson-related post from me...

I was out and about today when the news of his death broke.  There were various news alerts popping up all over the place.  Sadly and strangely enough, the one initial source that most of the news outlets kept naming was TMZ.com.  So, TMZ.com - a self-admitted gossip site - is now considered a "trusted news source"?!?!?!?

And then there was the fake report of Jeff Goldblum dying today.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #291 on: June 25, 2009, 08:28:35 PM »

There's also been reports that Walter Cronkite is very ill and not expected to recover.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #292 on: June 25, 2009, 08:30:33 PM »

All around, this has been a very tiring day.  I feel old.  I'm going to bed. 
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »

I went back to Home Depot today and ordered the backsplash made from the countertop material.  It's just the 4" backsplash, and I wanted it all along but for some reason let the "designer" at HD talk me out of it.  There's no way I could have sealed a backsplash well enough to keep all water from going behind the cabinets.  This will be great.

I can't put a microwave over my stove - not enough room- so I'll just keep mine on the counter.   I did finds some new pulls for the drawers and the cabinet doors.    I may keep looking to see if there are others I like better.

Now I wait for the call about the template

Matt H.

« Reply #294 on: June 25, 2009, 08:33:31 PM »

I agree. These deaths coming all bunched together do indeed make me feel old and sad.

Matt H.

« Reply #295 on: June 25, 2009, 08:34:10 PM »

I think I'll head downstairs and meditate a bit before turning in.

Good night!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #296 on: June 25, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Sadly, after the events of today, I don't think your "wish" will be granted any time soon.

LOL.

I had it coming.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #297 on: June 25, 2009, 08:51:43 PM »

I have to honestly say the deaths of Princess Diana and JFK Jr. had a deeply profound impact on my view of mortality.  Both were taken so quickly and so tragically.

All death is to be taken with sobriety and pause.  But some deaths affect us more than others.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #298 on: June 25, 2009, 08:54:18 PM »

My best memories of Michael Jackson come from the early 70s....."ABC", "I Want You Back", "Ben" "I'll Be There"....those were  really cool songs and I even thought he was terrific in "The Wiz."

I have to admit he stunned me with "Thriller."

But then came all the inside gossip/innuendo and very,  strangely odd behavior patterns.

May he find some peace.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #299 on: June 25, 2009, 08:58:05 PM »

I loved the Michael Jackson of the early MTV video days, Billie Jean, Beat It, and then Thriller - those are all still thrilling to watch - and then he slowly lost his sanity.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up