Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IDES OF MARCH  (Read 41680 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE IDES OF MARCH
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2004, 03:51:37 PM »

Panni:  One possibility for Abe is that he might have an inflammation of the gums, or a bad tooth....you might have him checked out.

Of course, if he had a sore mouth, he probably wouldn't eat even if you coaxed him.  Maybe he's just testing you to see if you care.

If this persists longer than a week, I'd ask a veterinarian...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 03:51:58 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2004, 03:54:08 PM »

Panni:  One possibility for Abe is that he might have an inflammation of the gums, or a bad tooth....you might have him checked out.

Of course, if he had a sore mouth, he probably wouldn't eat even if you coaxed him.  Maybe he's just testing you to see if you care.

If this persists longer than a week, I'd ask a
veterinarian...

P.S.  Another thought.  My cat has done this.  And all I had to do was change the kind of cat food I was feeding her.

Animals get tired of the same old thing day after day, I'm betting.  In nature, they get variety, but in our homes, not so much.

He might just want you to spice it up a bit, and to that end, your idea of mixing in a little soft food could just be the ticket.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2004, 03:57:31 PM »

B & B won't eat their "big" dog hard food unless I put one of those little packages you give the "little" dogs.  

Of course, Bear is just a "little" dog in his heart.  He'll sit in your lap, if you'll let him.  All 125 lbs of him.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2004, 04:36:42 PM »

We seem to have had a thirty-five minute LULL.  Skammen.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2004, 04:38:42 PM »

Thanks, RLP - I mixed in a tiny bit of canned food tonight and he ate heartily.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2004, 04:39:29 PM »

I'm loving all these dog stories.  I can't wait to get a dog of my own...as soon as I'm in an apartment complex that allows them :)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2004, 04:44:58 PM »

DR Panni:  Thanks for asking--Gabe seems to be doing well.  It looks like we have averted surgery.  He does have to wear the long arm cast for at least another two weeks, then be refitted with a short arm cast for another two weeks after that, but we're on the way (ooh!  A Paint Your Wagon reference).

DR Charles Pogue:  Yes, indeed, the woman doing the commentary is Ms. Orrison, and she repeats the Walker comb story on the commentary.  She actually has some interesting facts to impart, but really too few considering how much time she evidently spent with the Wilcoxons.  Her comments are of the "Look, there's Clint Walker again" (she must mention him every time he appears) or "Look, there's June Wilcoxon doing the orgy dance while she has asthma" ilk.  The other thing that bothered me was her proprietary language--she frequently says things like "We only got the shot after two takes," etc., implying she was there.  The "anti-film noir" comment just set me off so completely I had to pause the film for a moment whilst I calmed my hysterical laughter.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 04:47:51 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2004, 05:22:11 PM »

Thank you all for your thoughts. Although I wasn't very good friends with the boy who was killed, it still hurts. Today was a hard day. They did have grief counselors at school if anyone needed them, and teachers seemed a bit more...relaxed...than usual.

While everything Laura said is correct, I wanted to add to some things. While academically, the boy was a freshman, it was because he was held back last year due to excessive drug use. He has spent the majority of this year at a rehabilitation school, and had only returned a few weeks ago. I had numerous classes with him in middle school, and he was in our age bracket.

And drugs were involved in the shooting. I was tlaking with a VERY reliable source today, but I won't post anything I now know, just to be on the safe side. This kid has had a long history of being a nuisance. He was nice and friendly, but a bad student, and he made bad decisions. It's so sad, because he had finally returned to BRHS, and everyone thought he was going to turn around and change himself.

There were TV cres parked on the front lawn of the school today, interviewing teachers and students, which I found kind of shocking. I know it's what the community wants, but they were sort of "in the way". It was awkward. The vibe was jsut horrible at school, and it was relieving to finally leave.

It just makes you count your blessings.
...Walk in the sunshine...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2004, 05:31:11 PM »

I thought I'd check in after watching Whoopi Goldberg's show tonight:  it's a funny episode about gay marriage, and I was suprised but happy to see the New York City Gay Men's Chorus singing at the end.  I love Mary Testa and she's got a good moment.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »

I HAVE GOOD NEWS! :)

My aunt's surgery was today.  They found and removed a mass that is "not benign but also NOT invasive cancer."  It had not spread at all, and they will not follow up with chemo, radiation, etc.  Apparently my aunt was watching Wheel of Fortune when they left her hospital room (she's expected to return home on Friday).   She did of course have a radical hysterectomy, but that was the best case scenario.

Thanks for the good vibes!  They WORKED!!  :)
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2004, 05:51:31 PM »

Great news, Lulu!

Robin

« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2004, 06:24:38 PM »

Thanks for the good vibes!  They WORKED!!

Never underestimate the power of HHW vibes!  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2004, 06:55:03 PM »

Vibes to everyone, including me.

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?  We haz slowed to a crawl.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2004, 07:00:58 PM »

Thanks for sharing the good news, Lulu.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2004, 07:06:25 PM »

Sarah, I'm very sorry you and your friends and community are having to deal with this tragedy.  The feelings of unease will last a while, but they will diminish.  Just try to be there for those who need your support, and you will be doing your part to make things better.

...There were TV cres parked on the front lawn of the school today, interviewing teachers and students, which I found kind of shocking. I know it's what the community wants, but they were sort of "in the way". It was awkward. The vibe was jsut horrible at school, and it was relieving to finally leave.

It just makes you count your blessings.
No, Sarah, your community consists of the school, the people there, and their families.  It doesn't include everyone within broadcasting range.  You were right to be shocked at the reporters, who may have been "doing their job," but were intrusive and damaging to your community.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2004, 07:15:14 PM »

Danise I believe Echo did eat someone’s homework once.  We also had a cat that liked to shred papers and occasionally that included homework.   ;D

Lulu you could not have given us better news today, of all days.

Panni I relieved to hear the wonderdog was just bored.

And of course, more good news that Gabe doesn’t need surgery.

Jed

« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2004, 07:23:56 PM »

Very sorry to hear of the events in Laura and Sarah's town.  So sad.

I got home yesterday to find Kritzer Time there waiting for me!  Got started on it last night, and am very much enjoying it.

It's been a bit odd seeing my little hometown in the top national headlines the past week.  The whole brouhaha regarding the lesbian Methodist minister... yup, that's in my (and Ann's) very own handy-dandy hometown!  Seeing national news interviews with folks who used to live just down the street is kinda strange. :)

And that's my helter-skelter batch of thoughts for the moment.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 07:26:30 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Robin

« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2004, 07:30:14 PM »

I received this little missive from the In These Times mailing list:

<<Despite President Bush's pledge that homosexuals "ought to have the same rights" as all other people, his Administration this week ruled that homosexuals can now be fired from the federal workforce because of their sexual orientation.

According to the Federal Times, the president's appointee at the Office of Special Counsel ruled that federal employees will now "have no recourse if they are fired or demoted simply for being gay." While the Bush Administration says it is legally prohibited from firing a person for their conduct, they have the legal right to fire or demote someone based on their sexual orientation. To carry out the directive, the White House has begun removing information from government websites about sexual orientation
discrimination in the workplace.

Not only does the new directive contradict the president's own promise to treat homosexuals as equals under the law, but it also contradicts what the Administration told Congress. As noted in a bipartisan letter from four Senators to the Administration, "During the confirmation process [of the president's appointee], you assured us that you were committed to protecting federal employees against unlawful discrimination related to their sexual orientation.">>

Isn't this a great administration?  

Robin

« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2004, 07:46:53 PM »

How cool is this???
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 07:47:44 PM by Robin »

Michael

« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2004, 08:08:51 PM »

Shame on Michael Shayne.  As keeper of the BK website (www.brucekimmel.com) he should have been the first to read Kritzer Time and post his review.  Shame, I say.  Skammen.  

Actually I have started to read it but have been extremly busy this week. But I needed some relaxation so I have started to freshen up www.brucekimmel.com and will be adding a new section for Kritzer Time.

But I will put the site on hold and finish the book first.

Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2004, 08:11:25 PM »

Great news DR Lulu.

Instead of a candle my parents use a special plug that looks like a candle. You plug it in and it lights up (it has a picture of a candle on the front).  I agree, I wouldn't want to leave a candle burning unattended.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2004, 08:11:49 PM »

Books first, sites second, that's what I say.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

Robin

« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2004, 08:57:42 PM »

Am I going to be the first person to use the word "wussburgers" tonight?

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2004, 09:04:53 PM »

BK, you need to stop damning people to hell.
...Walk in the sunshine...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »

Wussburgers, yes.

I never damn "people" to hell.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2004, 09:12:43 PM »

I just damn those damn dirty apes.  If you need a reference, Swishy, as to where these lines come from, feel free to ask.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2004, 09:25:47 PM »

AMERICAN IDOL tonight:

I felt it was a mediocre night oberall. SOme of the people who excelled last week had off nights tonight, and the two powerhouses prevailed once again.

My favorites were Fantasia and LaToya. Fantasia did a quiet, lovely rendition of her song, the polar opposite of her style for the last few weeks. I admired that she could give a controlled, mature performance for a change.

While she was dressed in a classy way and handled her song in a classy manner, I thought her behavior when the judges didn't flip for her was anything BUT classy. Sorry, but I didn't vote for her because I didn't like her inability to handle criticism, even if it was misplaced criticism.

Latoya's song was country to its core and her rendition was about as far away from country as it's possible to get. She was smooth, professional, excellent, but I didn't hear a trace of country.

Many people chose ballads this week, and for some it was wise: Matt Rogers finally showed it has a fine voice, not outstanding, but worth listening to. Jon Peter, on the other hand, showed shaky control and more camera appeal than vocal expertise.

Camile again showed neither. Shaky voice, "goat" vibrato, and a terrible tendency to breathe at the wrong moments, probably from sheer terror.

Amy had a good night and Diana started slowly and then built to a rousing finish. Same with George. Started slowly and got better later. John Stevens again crooned his way through "King of the Road" but it's bland. He hit the notes and covered his lapse with the lyrics pretty well, but I couldn't imagine listening to an entire CD of this same crooning style. There are no peaks or valleys to his singing, and after awhile, it's just too monotonous for me.

Jennifer, who did very well last week, picked a lousy song this week and didn't do herself any favors with another bad attitude after some judges' slams.

Don't these kids know the world is watching?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Laura II

« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2004, 09:43:24 PM »

Great news, Lulu! Thank you for sharing the good news!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2004, 10:34:16 PM »

I, too, thought tonight's "American Idol" way too shaky.

And I'm sick to death of the "judges" NOT GETTING IT.

Tonight they were bitching that the songs were too safe, that they were too low-keyed.  That's because LAST WEEK, Simon was bitching about the songs being too oversung.  If they weren't so freaking hypercritical at every turn, perhaps -- PERHAPS -- some of these singers could develop into something unique without jumping through hoops.

Tonight, though, I was pleased by Diana DeGarmo, Jon Peter Lewis (I thought his singing voice revealed layers heretofore unheard -- he HAS a gorgeous voice), Fantasia (VERY classy performance), Matt Rogers (FINALLY, his voice is beginning to reveal itself as a beauty) and Amy.

Diana came closest to blowing me away, but for the most part, no one did.  Fantasia, as Matt said about LaToya, did not sing "country," even if the song was classified as such.

The ONE song that was my favorite of the bunch -- "Desperado" -- was totally massacred by the hideous Camile Bellasco.

Simon Cowell has some serious problems but they are HIS problems.  The trouble is he imposes them on the singers.  His comments to Matt were not only weirdly ludicrous but indicative of the imbalances of Simon's judgment.  

A couple of weeks ago, he likened a performer to someone he called a "pop star" and used the term in a belittling way.  Tonight he told a contestant that they were looking for a "pop star" and he didn't think they were it.  I wonder if he has any idea what they are looking for.  Whatever it is, it will be dependent upon the public to find it because Simon hasn't a clue -- to offer, that is.

Again, LaToya misfired for me.  She was singing notes too low for her in most of the song's early going (and this is true of many of the singers tonight)...I heard the backup singers for most of the song...it was out of her range and she was not particularly effective for me.  Hated the song.  I also hate the heaps of praise the judges continue to lavish upon her average, at best, performances.

For me, she was no better than Jennifer Hudson who was in good voice despite the song choice.

Most of the songs were so-so...even if they WERE No. 1 Hits for other singers.  

Stop the freaking THEME NIGHTS and let the singers find good songs on their own.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 10:52:31 PM by RLP »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2004, 10:51:47 PM »

No, the judges on American Yodel do not have a clue.  Look at the two top winners last year: do either of them fit in the mold of what a pop star is supposed to look like?  Hardly.  And they both have voices that are far better than your average pop star of today.

I do agree that too many of the contestants played it safe tonight, going for ballads instead of some of the gutsier material that Country has provided.  If they have coaches who are helping them pick their material, then it is the coaches who are to blame, for not being well versed in the form selected for the week.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up