Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES-WISE  (Read 22922 times)

MBarnum

Re: NOTES-WISE
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2009, 08:44:01 AM »

Lawrence, I wish I was there to assist, I am very good at running errands, even though I do tend to get distracted. And no doubt throwing things at me would make you feel so much better.

Feel better my buddy!

Ginny

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2009, 09:09:44 AM »

Sorry to have missed DR Elmore when he was here earlier.

Feel-better vibes to him and thank-you vibes to his caregivers!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DAW

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2009, 09:12:15 AM »

Another Highline profile!

Ginny

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2009, 09:17:18 AM »

I found out yesterday that the company that laid me off has since been forced to cut the salaries of the employees that remain by 20% in order to try to stay in business.        :-\

And in news from my former employer:

"Also on Wednesday the library board approved a plan to offer early retirement buyouts to employees. Workers would get a $5,000 lump sum payment and 35 percent of their accrued sick leave balance, up to 800 hours. Kambitsch said the buyout will cost as much as $200,000 but should help reduce payroll."

When I groaned that it was a year late, Richard (the wise one in the family) asked if the grief that they've gone through in the past several months would have been worth $5000 to me.  Guess not.

I truly hope that some of my friends who are eligible are smart enough to take it and - RUN!

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2009, 09:43:37 AM »

Oh dear.....well DR GINNY I am just happy when I "left" the Department of Labor, I had enough years and was just old enough to go ahead and begin receiving my Retirement benefits.  It's not much, but it is a steady check every month......so far.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2009, 09:43:59 AM »

And in three years.....I can apply for Social Security.....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2009, 09:51:59 AM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up.... And what a news day it has been here in NYC - well, moreso in New Jersey right now... Here's the current crawl across the bottom of my TV screen:

"Breaking News - Corruption Bust: 44 Arrests Including 3 Mayors & 5 Rabbis"

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2009, 09:53:02 AM »

DR elmore - You're most welcome.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2009, 09:54:08 AM »

I will be curious to see DR JoseSPiano's reply to today's TOD!      :D

Well...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2009, 10:02:08 AM »

TOD:

Beef heart
Beef tongue
Chicken feet
Tripe (in both Menudo and Chiltlins (sp) )
Fried Gizzard
Fish head and tail
Frog legs
Eel
Pigs Feet
Abalone
Snails
Quail Eggs
Snake
Squirrel (I feel guilty about that one)
Seaweed
Fish roe
Sea Urchin

I am a very adventurous eater, and would only draw the line at eating something that was still alive.

Well...

Good for you DR MBarnum!  -I still have yet to try Chicken Feet or Pig's Feet - at least not knowingly. ;)  However...

I did recently try balut in the Philippines.

I notice a couple of the items on your list include things one would "normally" order at a sushi place: fish roe, seaweed, eel, sea urchin and quail eggs...

And fish roe could also be caviar...

It really is all a matter of perspective.

I've been catching up on episodes of both "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" and "Bizarre Foods with Andrews Zimmern" on the The Travel Channel.  Now if you want to talk about "far out" and "weird" foods, well, I think they have all of us beat hands down.  -Especially Andrew Zimmern!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2009, 10:06:46 AM »

I am hungry ... but I will try NOTHING that I have read about so far on HHW for lunch.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2009, 10:22:48 AM »

TOD:

Tripe, I suppose.  One of the few things I've tried that I really didn't care for.  But I'm up for most anything.

How was the tripe prepared?  It's not something I go looking for on restaurant menus, but there are some preparations that actually make it quite palatable.  I do like it in menudo as well as a topping for Vietnamese pho.  It's definitely a "texture" thing, but sometimes a bit of "unctious" can be a good thing.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2009, 10:28:16 AM »

TOD - a buffalo burger at the Star Family Restaurant in Murdo, SD.

Speaking of weird combinations, yesterday one of my FB friends posted about making zucchini bread with butterscotch chips.

Michael

« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2009, 10:49:09 AM »

First of all

Hello from PBI (Palm International Airport)

and no surprise to me that the plane will be late leaving by at least 45 minutes because the plane arriving here is late.

Quel Surprise

But I m using the airports free wifi and when you sign on the let you know of the current security level.

Also the first time I have been in an airport where security has walked through the gate with a dog sniffing out for something. It was a beautiful golden lab retriever.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »

MattH,

In your review of The Towering Inferno you state:

Having to manipulate a handful of stars in the mix, however, necessitated his inventing an equal number of set piece moments of derring-do for his two top-billed stars as well as signature moments for all of the recognizable star cast.

So, they cast the picture first, then adjusted the screenplay as necessary?

der Brucer

According to the bonus features, that's exactly what happened, at Steve McQueen's insistence.

Even though technically Paul Newman's role of "The Architect" was larger, McQueen who doesn't appear until about an hour or so into the film insisted on the exact amount of speaking words as Newman's role.

Also the staggered billing I believe was a first.

McQueen is first on the left, but Newman was on the right but his name was higher so it all depends where your eye goes first that one decides who gets top billing.
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2009, 10:56:11 AM »

Perhaps, Elmoore would feel better if he had some FLOOP!
I like boat races.

Michael

« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »

So I will sign on from Phillie  See y'all later
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2009, 10:58:01 AM »

I consider it adventurous eating when I go to a Subway that I've never been to before.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »

More sad Hollywood news...

Actress Brenda Joyce (Tarzan's Jane in the 1940s, also the Inner Sanctum films PILLOW OF DEATH and STRANGE CONFESSION) died at a nursing home in NY on July 4th. She had been suffering from dementia for several years.

Actress Helen Hovey who played the tormented school teacher in the cult film THE SADIST opposite Arch Hall Jr. (her real life cousin) died this week in Texas.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:03:52 AM by MBarnum »

Ginny

« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2009, 11:04:23 AM »

Travel vibes to DR Michael S!

DAW

« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2009, 11:14:08 AM »

***SAFE & EASY TRAVEL VIBES***
for DR Michael S.!!!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2009, 11:16:32 AM »

Back and all CDs, including all my US dealers, have been shipped.  Only the five overseas dealers to go.  Now I've got to get everything ready for the official The Apartment announcement at midnight.   No time to jog, I guess, although maybe I'll go out in a half hour and do two miles, but it's really hot out.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2009, 12:11:32 PM »

Oy, live and learn department.  I had imported the video from Gabe's birth through about his seventh month and had edited little snippets for what will be the Bar Mitzvah movie in Windows Movie Maker.  I thought it kept copies of the edited snippets and so I deleted the imported video.  Guess what?  It doesn't.  So I have to start over.  I don't think I have enough space to import 13 years worth of videos and edit it down.  The only thing I can think of is to edit each tape individually, burn DVDs of those edits, and then delete the source video and do the next one.  Then when I'm done with all the DVDs I guess I can import the various edits to make a completed product.  Edi?  Anyone?  A better solution?

Gabe just made me LOL.  He's starting to get moolah in the mail from people who can't come and he got a very (as in VERY) generous check from the parents of one of Betsy's brother's wife.  These are the very prominent Beverly Hills Cedars Sinai osteopath family, the family that owns a lot of property around L.A. and whose art collection is permanently on loan to the Getty.  So anyhoo, Gabe is writing his thank you note and I'm telling him to put in facts about what he's doing, like taking Hebrew lessons twice a week and writing his D'var Torah.  At which point Gabe, pretending to write, says, "So as you can see, I'm very busy, so please don't bother me again for anythiing less than $1000."  My son, the comedian.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2009, 12:16:58 PM »

* * * * *  TRAVEL VIBES DR MICHAEL SHAYNE  * * * * *

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2009, 12:31:30 PM »

DR JMK - whatever you're doing in raising those sons of yours, you're doing it right.       :)

MBarnum

« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2009, 12:54:43 PM »

LOL, JMK!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2009, 01:07:25 PM »

Back from the long jog - not quite as hot as the last few days.  Now I must shower and be on my way to Teddy, after which I shall return.  What a morning!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2009, 01:09:44 PM »

Michael s:
I really didn't know what caused it. There was frighteningly way too many ingredients on the package for what was supposed to be chicken catchatorre (sp?) But it had to be something or a combination of ingredients that caused it
I only carry the half tablets of Tylenol PM for an emergency.  I’m not in a rush to take something that will knock me out, but at least I’m only taking a half dose of Benadryl which cannot be purchased from Benadryl.   If your throat were to swell it might interfere with your breathing. 

I know very quickly if I’m having a reaction to a food.  I have found if I grab a fizzy drink, Pepsi is my fiz of choice, drinking it will fiz away the food product & reduce my allergy. 

it OFTEN takes a combination of foods to cause a reaction.  After all these years I still can’t figure out most combinations, fortunately none of my “combination” allergic reactions have been severe, just uncomfortable.

VIBES YOU NEVER EXPERIENCE A REACTION LIKE THIS AGAIN, AND HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

Jane

« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2009, 01:10:11 PM »

My cat-sitting assignment begins either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Have fun.

Jane

« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2009, 01:13:04 PM »

The most memorable meal I've ever had was back in the 1980s in Lafayette, LA.

I was there with my friend/publicity client, Steve Kanaly ("Dallas") for a rodeo in which he was the guest star.

One afternoon, our "handler" took us out to this restaurant on a bayou where we had the most fantastic Cajun meal: crawfish, catfish, jambalaya & the best cheesecake I've ever eaten.

In fact, I was so impressed with the Southern-style cheesecake that, when I returned to Los Angeles, I told the owner of Junior's Deli (another client) about it, and he wound up changing his NY-style cheesecake to Southern-style.

Was your client one of the original brother's that opened Junior's?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up