News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GOLF  (Read 16157 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: GOLF
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 07:10:40 AM »

DR ELMORE I am hoping today is better for you...all around.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 07:10:52 AM »

DR TCB..it was my FACE!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 07:35:30 AM »

Good morning!

So, here I am. It's going to be another hot day and storms are forecast for this afternoon, but it looks clear right now. We had a big thunderstorm last night right as I was signed off the net.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 07:37:03 AM »

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning, so I had another day of unease and ache. I did get a better night's sleep last night than the previous two, but it was over pretty early, so I've been mulling around the house all morning trying to find positions that lessen the aches and pains.

Laura

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 07:39:40 AM »

(((((DR MattH))))) I hope you are able to get comfortable today and that your appointment tomorrow can find what's wrong and be able to provide you some relief!

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 07:40:57 AM »

If I can muster enough concentration, I'm going to try to get some work done this afternoon. The next review disc I have is the Blu-ray of Jacques Tati's PLAYTIME which I've seen before but was not the Criterion reviewer when the last DVD came out. So, I'll be doing this one from scratch.

I'm expecting the Blu-ray to be astonishing looking (maybe I shouldn't overexpect), but I was pretty impressed with the DVD, so this should be an improvement on that.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009, 07:42:52 AM »

Thank you, DR Laura, and thanks for all of the good wishes expressed last night and this morning.

Yes, it's just enduring the aches. All the tests yesterday were to confirm that nothing was life threatening. That was a BIG load off my mind.

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009, 07:43:01 AM »

Vibes of comfort to DR MattH!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009, 07:46:29 AM »

Aside from putt-putt golf, I've never much cared for the game and it is certainly boring to watch on TV.  When I was 12-13, my father...a golfer...decided all us kids would take golf lessons given by the pro at the Country Club (which we had joined so my father could play golf...I personally preferred the loca swim club pool to the country club pool which was a tad snobby).  He even invested in a minimal set of left-handed golf clubs for my sister and me, both lefties.  These lessons, however, did not take...and I developed no interest in the game.  I have no idea where the left-handed clubs are...probably with my sister, who doesn't play either.  My two brothers still play, I believe.

Though I'm very fond of badminton, I've never had enough of a level yard to play regularly.  My favourite sport is Scrabble.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2009, 07:46:54 AM »

My family were all enthusiastic golfers, so naturally I hated it. I did TRY to get in the swing (pun intentional) of the game, but I just found it very dull. I've played two nine hole rounds, and that's all I ever hope to play. (I have always enjoyed going to a driving range, however, and putt-putt is also fun.)

My dad was the club champion something like 14 times, and one of the years he didn't win, my older brother beat him to become club champion. They were both scratch golfers (no handicap), and my brother had a golf scholarship to his college (The Citadel).

Laura

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2009, 07:53:30 AM »

All the tests yesterday were to confirm that nothing was life threatening. That was a BIG load off my mind.

That's a big relief!

Laura

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2009, 07:53:43 AM »

I have never golfed.

Kerry

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2009, 07:53:50 AM »

TOD:  I've never understood the reason for golf.  I guess I just don't get golf.  Miniature golf was always fun, although I am not particularly excellent at it.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009, 07:54:08 AM »

I didn't get a chance to participate in the Sherlock Holmes topic yesterday, but I've said it before that I ADORE the character and always enjoy seeing Holmes in his many incarnations even if the films are some thing less than wonderful.

Basil Rathbone is certainly my favorite Holmes without a doubt, and I agree that THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES is a wonderful, atmospheric film, one of the best ever for the character. My favorite of his Universal modern period was THE HOUSE OF FEAR though THE SCARLET CLAW is certainly right up there and SHERLOCK HOLMES FACES DEATH was also super entertaining.

THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES that DR Michael Shayne was talking about yesterday with William Shatner was actually a pilot episode for an ABC anthology mystery series (they were trying to ape the successful NBC Mystery Movie franchise) that never got off the ground. Shatner played Stapleton in that adaptation, and Stewart Granger was Holmes with Bernard Fox as Watson. It was made on the cheap, but I've always longed to see it again. I hope to stumble across it one of these days.

Of the non-Rathbone features, I like best HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES with Peter Cushing. I enjoyed A STUDY IN TERROR the one time I've seen it, but that was many years ago, and my memories are vague. MURDER BY DECREE (also about Jack the Ripper) was entertaining but featured lots of blood.

Laura

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 07:54:51 AM »

DR Sandra loves golf, but that's only for the plaid pants and the saddle shoes.

Laura

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2009, 07:55:09 AM »

Which she wears, even though she doesn't golf.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2009, 07:56:37 AM »

Last night I watched BELLS ARE RINGING on TCM.  I was very excited to see this movie for the first time a couple of years ago when it was first released to dvd, but in seeing it again it struck me as extremely tedious. The movie begins with a bland montage of NYC construction and then establishes the spared-from-demolition brownstone that offices Susansaphone--but why?--what does it all have to do with the story?  And then musical numbers like "Hello, Hello There" and "Mu-Cha-Cha" are set up but then dropped.  Judy Holliday seems to have been told to just do exactly what she had been doing on the stage and Dean Martin is just along for the ride.  The camera barely pans during the last ten minutes  of the movie.  Where was Vincente Minnelli?  Was he ever on the set at all?  Ugh!  I doubt that I'll ever pull this one off the shelf to play again...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2009, 08:00:43 AM »

* * * * *  ACHES AND PAINS RELIEF VIBES FOR DR MATT  * * * * *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2009, 08:01:10 AM »

Oh, Gawd--golf on TV!  That's one that had to be thought up by the insurance agents from Hell!
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2009, 08:02:58 AM »

I wonder if DR JoseSPiano knows about THIS cupcake news??      :)

DAW

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2009, 08:04:21 AM »

"You can lead a man to Congress, but you can't make him think."   -Milton Berle

DAW

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2009, 08:09:29 AM »

Just back from a quick haircut.  I opted for the purple streaks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2009, 08:09:55 AM »

I suppose I'm up.  Quite noisy this morning - I don't know exactly what it is they're doing this morning - not hammering - but it's really annoying.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2009, 08:10:38 AM »

Excellent vibes and xylophones to all.  Did you know that if you add two more "H"s to MattH you have the initials of my new novel?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:55:41 AM by bk »

DAW

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2009, 08:12:21 AM »

"Texting should be banned in moving vehicles for all drivers," a new report from the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute recommends. The researchers say a driver who is texting is as much as 23.2 times more likely to get into an accident."

D'ya think??

DAW

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2009, 08:13:36 AM »

Did you know that if you add to more "H"s to MattH you have the initials of my new novel?

Spooky!!!!!     :)

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2009, 08:16:27 AM »

Health vibes for DRs Elmore, MattH, Ginny's BIL John, and TCB.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2009, 08:16:43 AM »

When I was a youngen, my friend Tony had the Arnold Palmer Table Top Golf Game, which we would play with for hours.  It was a tin putting green game base onto which you would place various obstacles like bumpers or a tunnel or a ramp.  You hit the golf ball with little handheld push button putters.  It was essentially miniature miniature golf and a lot of fun.  I've been periodically checking for it on eBay but the ones I've come across have been in bad condition or incomplete.

Just found a pic of a set on eBay:

-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2009, 08:21:02 AM »

Question for BK:

You mentioned in the notes that re: Season Two of LOST that one new character irritated you, and one is your fav. Who are they?

Cillaliz

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2009, 08:31:08 AM »

Health vibes to all who need them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up