Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GETTYSBURG ADDRESS  (Read 44173 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE GETTYSBURG ADDRESS
« Reply #210 on: August 15, 2009, 08:42:34 PM »

I'll now finish The Ninth Gate, and then go back to the liner notes, and I guess that's what the rest of my evening will be.  I also spent considerable time listening to the new master, and I've futzed with the order on one of the soundtracks considerably, because it just wasn't good, and I flipped two tracks on the other to make it more film like.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: August 15, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »

In fact, I really haven't stopped working since I got home.  And there will be no rest tomorrow as I have to address a whole slew of packages - I'll have a new helper here, but I have to teach her how to do it, so that will take time, too.  I'm not sure I'll go to the reunion thing - just don't know if I'll be up to it.  IF I go, I'll only make an appearance. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #212 on: August 15, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »

Well, no one can say we didn't get to page eight.

Cillaliz

« Reply #213 on: August 15, 2009, 09:00:44 PM »

Hmm, we're supposed to get a storm at midnight.  May as well stay up

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #214 on: August 15, 2009, 09:02:26 PM »

So...

Since I happened to have dinner with my friend, Allen, at the Hampton Chutney Co., and since the Hampton Chutney Co. happens to be right near 82nd Street (actually in DR elmore's 'hood), and since the entrance The Delacorte is right off of 81st Street and Central Park West, I decided to walk over there after dinner to see what the stand-by line was like for tonight's performance of The Bacchae, and since the line really wasn't that long, and since the weather was quite nice, I decided to get in line.

...and on, and on, and on, and on, and on.... (Ah, a Baby reference.)

In any case... The couple who lined up right after me turned out to be from Australia.  Actually, she was from Australia, and he's from here - but they live in Sydney now.  They're back in the States for "holiday" as well as to attend a screening of a documentary that she produced.  The documentary, "The Matilda Candidate" will be screened tomorrow afternoon at the newly opened Maysles Institute which happens to be only about a 15-minute walk from my apartment.  So, guess where I'll be tomorrow afternoon? :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:06:45 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: August 15, 2009, 09:07:37 PM »

Having now taken Bosco for his second walk of the day, I shall now sit down with some dinner and a Bollywood movie....KUSHBOO: THE FRANGRENCE OF LOVE

I'm sure you mean "fragrance of love" but if anyone said khushboo to me, I'd wipe up the floor with them!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DAW

« Reply #216 on: August 15, 2009, 09:08:13 PM »

Serendipity at work!!!    :D

Or perhaps Serendippitydoo!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #217 on: August 15, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »

...And right behind that couple was a young musical theatre writer and his friend.  And it looks like we'll all be meeting up tomorrow to attend the screening of "The Matilda Candidate".

It really was a great way to spend the hour or so I waited in line for tonight's show.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #218 on: August 15, 2009, 09:10:39 PM »

I watched two more ghost stories on SHADES OF DARKNESS and it's time for bed. Tomorrow I have to go to Toyland and do some Toyland work.

I tired so maybe I'll sleep well tonight!

DR Ginny, I send all the Palmers my best wishes. Keep me posted.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #219 on: August 15, 2009, 09:24:05 PM »

As for the show itself, well...

Greek and Roman Tragedies and Comedies have always worked better for me on the page than on the stage.  I tend to prefer reading them, rather than watching them.  -Although, I remember a high school field trip to see Zoe Caldwell in Medea at the Kennedy Center - WOW! -And I also loved Diana Rigg's more recent production.

I guess since I know that no one really knows just how they were staged originally, I always know that the "tradition" behind the presentation of the plays is sort of murky.  -If that makes sense - and it may not.  In any case...

I liked what I saw on stage of The Delacorte earlier tonight.  There is the "usual" mash-up of Classic and Modern Day dress and presentation, as well as Philip Glass' score.  The production is very well cast, but since there is a hardly any actual dialogue in the piece, I found myself being too aware of when the actors were not on stage, and if they weren't being used actively when they were on stage.

It's a good production. One act. 90 minutes. No intermission. I may go see it again - but I don't think I would wait in line for more than 90 minutes, more than the running time of the play.
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2009, 09:39:07 PM »

Once again, DR JoseSPiano, thanks for the theatre reportage!      :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2009, 09:45:07 PM »

Once again, DR JoseSPiano, thanks for the theatre reportage!      :)

You're very welcome.

*I will say there is one "regret" I have after attending tonight's performance... During the pre-show, some of the actors go through a "ritual".  Jonathan Groff was on stage for about 15 minutes. He set some props.  He walked here, he walked there.  He even changed clothes on stage!  At one point, he came down stage left - which happened to be only about 12 feet from me since I ended up in the fifth(!) row tonight - and "rinsed" his feet off in the moat (of water) that surrounds the stage.  He then dried off his feet with a small towel, and then tossed that towel into the front row.  The lady who caught it - well, more like "lapped" it - then tried to give it back to one of the ushers. He said, "Keep it. It's yours now."  She then pushed it under her seat... and there it remained throughout the show... and after she got up to exit after the play was over.  I was sooo tempted to gather it up for myself.  And then put it up on e-Bay.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2009, 09:54:45 PM »

I've been confusing all the talk about "The Ninth Gate" with "District 9".  Now I get it.  I think.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2009, 09:58:24 PM »

Oh, and the young composer I met earlier tonight is Nate Weida.  His show, The New Hopeville Comics was presented earlier this year off-Broadway.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #224 on: August 15, 2009, 10:01:18 PM »

~~~~~HIP-HIP HOORAY VIBES FOR DR MICHAEL S~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #225 on: August 15, 2009, 10:10:47 PM »

I did it, too.

Whachoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #226 on: August 15, 2009, 10:20:07 PM »

I'm about two-thirds finished with the liner notes - it helps to be listening to the new master as I write them.  I've already undid one change that I made and put it back the way it wuz on the original LP.  But all my other changes work really well, especially in the soundtrack that ends the album.  That original LP was not well put together, and it was fun undoing it and moving things around for a better listening experience. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #227 on: August 15, 2009, 10:20:36 PM »

I think I'll take a shower now, and then try to finish the notes, so that I can read them over in the morning, make fixes, and get them to the designer.

Laura

« Reply #228 on: August 15, 2009, 10:32:28 PM »

It has been a very long day.

Laura

« Reply #229 on: August 15, 2009, 10:33:33 PM »

Ginny, I am so sorry to hear about John. Prayers that he is not suffering and that he may go in peace. Prayers that the whole family can feel some peace, as well.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #230 on: August 15, 2009, 10:38:53 PM »

OK... This just made me laugh... Well, at least giggle....

Officials have found that the wildfires raging in the Los Padres National Forest were caused by a cooking fire set by marijuana growers.

-I guess when you got a case of the munchies.. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up