Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BOOT BUNGLER  (Read 43321 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE BOOT BUNGLER
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2004, 12:29:36 PM »

There is no way I am going to go into details about my worst boss story because it's something I put behind me years ago.

BUT...I was an active duty Chief Petty Officer (Journalist with both Broadcasting/Instructor specialties) on aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) homeported in Alameda.  In my final year of a three-year tour serving as the Chief in the ship's Public Affairs Office (involving PA, TV and radio broadcasting onboard, working with media and tour groups and doing daily at-sea newspapers) (and having served with two outstanding Public Affairs Officers in my first two years), I, and my staff, were saddled with a third division officer -- a reservist returning to active duty, who distinguished himself on a Western Pacific cruise by having the ship's executive officer call him and the ship's Administrative Officer into his office and tell them, in terms so blunt they could not possibly misinterpret them, that nothing in Public Affairs would be done "without the Chief's knowledge, without the Chief's input and without the Chief's consent" or they would find themselves looking for new careers.  

The reservist PAO remained on active duty and cleaned up his act over the years.  Some years after I left the carrier, the Administrative Officer, at another duty station, was tried, found guilty, and is now doing hard time in a federal pentientiary for child molestation (his adopted son!!).

Karma rules!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 12:29:58 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2004, 12:39:36 PM »

Who will be watching the Heidi Fleiss movie this evening?

Well, Heidi Fleiss is on out here at 6:PM your time - is there anything else I should be doing then?

der Brucer (always open to suggestions)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2004, 12:41:22 PM »

I have Bhut Bungla, bought on MBARNUM'S recommendation and find it every bit as fascinating/bizarre as Mr BK.  NOTHING however for music and drama can top PAKEEZAH!

My worst boss....oh my....when I was working as the Purchasing Agent for the Indiana School for the Deaf, we got a new Business Administrator who would get requests from the Asst Superintendent for reports at least a month in advance and then pass them along to us the day before they were due....EVERYTIME!!!  I never turned in a report for even the biannual budget that I had spent sufficient time on.

I tried to keep everything up to date so that I would be prepared, but he always asked for something extra or in a different format that would take hours!!!

A few years after I left, I saw him on the news packing his stuff into his car.  He had been "let go" for viewing x-rated sites on the school computer, though he claimed he was doing it only to find a way to block such sites from the students!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2004, 12:45:45 PM »

Btw, I don't think i get the Heidi F movie channel.

We are not surpised that Montreal does not carry the USA channel. (And do you really want to watch Madam Makes Merry?)

der Brucer (who misses Madam - a Wayland Flowers reference)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2004, 12:49:29 PM »

Well the 2003 Pulitzer Prize Winners will be announced on April 5.  We have until November 1, 2004, to submit any book published in 2004.

The requirements and forms can be found at www.pulitzerprize.org and the requirements include, a biography and photo of the author, four copies of the book, and a $50 handling fee.  Sounds simple enough to me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2004, 12:51:43 PM »

Since you never do anything twice (a Sondheim reference) could you advise as to whether or not (in your HO) multiple submissions (nominations) would be of value. Maybe the Pulitizer's work like American Idol and we need to set up a barrage of Kisses Kudos for Kimmel letters.

Well, I may have picked and submitted a winner, but I have no idea how the Pulitzer judges vote.  I think one submission is all that's allowed per item.  You'd do better to contact the Pulitzer office than to ask this moron.

Now, about bad bosses:  I think good ones are the rare ones, and out of all the many I've had, I can only think of a few good ones.  I've had several mediocre ones and two really awful ones.  One was a local politico from my hometown who ran an office supplies company and who was a total moron and jerk; the happiest day of my life was returning to Ohio for a family visit and finding that his company had gone belly up.  The other ran a performing arts book shop under several rules I found offensive:
  1.  as soon as the employees figure out the rules, change them
  2.  a month before Christmas, start nitpicking, find reasons for employee misdeeds to justify giving no Christmas bonuses
  3.  regularly change health insurance and screw any employee's chances of holding on to a doctor or dentist
  4.  pile on the guilt

Thank God for the good ones!  They're rare.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2004, 12:57:40 PM »

No, I wouldn't have watched the Heidi F movie.  But I like having the option! I'm gonna watch the OC (on here on mondays too).

Not sure if anyone here gets USA network.  

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2004, 01:04:40 PM »

Btw, do I dare tell DR Jane what changing "left" to "up" or "down" would do? :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2004, 01:06:27 PM »

Of course, chat will be happening at five, so I'm taping the Fleiss movie.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2004, 01:12:19 PM »

When it comes to Worst Boss, I’ve had a few who have been game enough to try for the title.  A few were at the insurance claims office where I spent twenty-three years, and from which I finally retired.  There was Benny, the world’s biggest cynic.  If anyone had presented him with a glass and asked if it were half-full or half-empty, he would have pulled out a hammer, smashed it to pieces and said, “That settles that question.”  But he was just hard to get along with.

Regina was a bigger problem.  I was in charge of the supplies for the office at the time; she was my supervisor, and not doing too well in the company’s view.  Neither was I, for that matter; the job had me stuck back in the stockroom all day, and I'm enough of a social person to need other people around if I'm to do my work well.  Regina took advantage of this situation, and tried to pin her own failures on all the time she “had” to spend supervising me.  She nearly got me fired with her manipulations, but a couple of others in the hierarchy knew that something wasn’t right with the scenario and got me transferred back to the file room where I had started.

For me, the change of environment was like switching on a light; everything fell back into place, from my attitude to my production.  The situation didn’t work nearly as well for my replacement as stock clerk; Regina really did manage to get him fired.  By this time, the stock clerk du jour was the only person she was supervising, the rest of her duties having been transferred to other, more capable hands, and Regina herself was regularly getting reports written on her performance.  She did wrangle me back into the stock room one day, to help with some heavy lifting.  The office bosses found out about this, took me aside, and told me quite firmly, “You are never to go in the stock room again, for any reason!”  They definately had theirs.

A few weeks later, the ax fell, and she was terminated.  The results were on the spectacular side.  Upon receiving the news, she fainted and reportedly went into convulsions.  An ambulance was required to take her to the hospital.  Her attorneys filed a workers compensation lawsuit, of course, based on "stress and strain."  And that would have been that, as far as I was concerned, except for an interesting encounter a year or so later.

Der Brucer and I had met after work that spring night at a gay bar and restaurant in Orange County called Ozz.  It was a regular hangout of ours at the time, an easy place to get together before driving the rest of the way home.  On this particular night, as we were heading to der Brucer’s car, a woman with short, curly blonde hair came up to me in the parking lot, asking “Don’t you recognize me?”  It was Regina, with an addition of peroxide.  She quickly informed me that she was meeting some friends for dinner inside, but that she was so glad to run into me.  “You know, they really fired me because I’m a lesbian.  That place is so homophobic!  And we have to stick together, to fight this sort of thing.”  I nodded, and excused myself as der Brucer was waiting impatiently by the car.

“Was that Regina,” he asked as we pulled out of the parking lot.  I nodded yes.  

The next morning, I did something I had never done intentionally before, and have never done since.  I went to talk with the claims adjustor who was handling Regina’s case, and told her about the encounter.  Dorothy, a long-time friend, raised her eyebrows.  “Regina is gay?” she asked.  There was nothing in the file about this; I was outing Regina in reporting the conversation.  But, I told Dorothy, if the management of the office was indeed homophobic, it made no sense for them to keep me on staff, and fire the closeted Regina, since I had been out of the closet for years.  Wouldn’t they have fired me first, as the obvious target?  Dorothy made a note in the file, thanked me for the report, and that was the last I heard of the business.

But Regina was far from the worst boss I’ve ever had.  That had happened years earlier, at the historic Alex Theater in Glendale.  And that’s another story.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2004, 01:12:54 PM »

Do I research getting you a PP or do I do more of my "what ever brought that up" posts.

I think that I'll just leave that comment sit there like fish.  TCB?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2004, 01:12:57 PM »

Of course, chat will be happening at five, so I'm taping the Fleiss movie.
Oooh, sounds like Fleiss in bondage!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2004, 01:20:48 PM »

DR Panni, SIX FEET UNDER is perhaps my favorite of all of HBO's series. Interesting, deep, and meanigful characters facing an unending series of fascinating situations surrounded by the complexity of running that mortuary with the possibility of the entire world coming through the doors for their services. Amazing series. I remember the TURANDOT episode and also remember shedding tears profusely.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2004, 01:32:14 PM »

*And who could forget the optometrist in his 60s who made it a habit to come up behind the girls in the office and give them involuntary shoulder massages?  By that time, I was an old lady of 20.

The moral of this tale?  Before girls and women venture into the work force, they should become well-versed in the martial arts.
I've never had a boss come up behind me like that, but I have had people I don't like at all do it.  I just turn around sharply with a kick and an elbow, and then appologize profusely with "Oh, I'm so sorry, I thought I was being attacked or something!"  Der Brucer saw me do this once to a mucky-muck in the political field; it was all der B could to to keep from laughing while the mucker stammered about how "dangerous" I was!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2004, 01:38:16 PM »

And we really haven't had many worst boss stories, have we?
Maybe too many people are at work...with said bosses lurking over their shoulders!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2004, 01:43:46 PM »

Well the 2003 Pulitzer Prize Winners will be announced on April 5.  We have until November 1, 2004, to submit any book published in 2004.

The requirements and forms can be found at www.pulitzerprize.org and the requirements include, a biography and photo of the author, four copies of the book, and a $50 handling fee.  Sounds simple enough to me.

If BK supplies the four copies of the book, we can get four other DRs and me to each contribute $10 towards the fee.  Then maybe there will be more kudos for Benjamin Kritzer.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2004, 02:03:07 PM »

I've told my boss story before. She thought I was wrong when I defined cows as "neat animals," when she thought it should  have been "meat animals," since she grew up on a farm and knew that cows were anything but neat. Had she looked up the term, she'd have seen I was right. Luckily I changed my transcript back to "neat" so I didn't look like an idiot.  

I walked into the office one morning and was introduced to my replacement, because as she put it, "No one wants to see a pregnant court reporter."
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2004, 02:17:55 PM »

I am happy to supply the books.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2004, 02:36:16 PM »

That's a lovely new avatar, Woody!

A very busy weekend so I'll make my comments brief.  PARDON MY ENGLISH (Encores!) immediately goes towards the top of the list of great score-awful book shows.  The Gershwin score is a mixture of familiar songs and songs even Ben Bagley had never revisited.  The book, however, has gone through many revisions since the original production's out-of-town tryout and still is almost unplayable.  The plot makes no sense and the jokes are mostly bad puns (I won't print an example because groaning is not allowed at HHW).  However the cast and the Gershwin songs were enough to make it worthwhile, and I'd rather see Encores do a rarely-produced show like this than shows everyone has seen several times.  By the way, Kitty Carlysle Hart took part in the discussion group.  I'd hate to see the picture in her attic.  She is 93 but looks much younger and her legs are still beautiful.

I do believe that we were in the same audience for "Pardon My English"!  Ms. Hart looked terrific and it was fascinating to hear her show biz anecdotes, though I wish the moderator had allowed her to speak longer.  I thought that the show itself was incredibly fun and enjoyable.  Yes, the plot is silly, but I think that the book is hilarious and well constructed, considering how little the creative team knew about the original book, plot, and production.  The staging is adorable and it is certainly well choreographed.  I agree that Encores should produce more obscure musicals such as this instead of, say, "Bye Bye Birdie" which they are doing next.  A concert production of "Bye Bye Birdie" is entirely unnecesary.  
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2004, 02:46:37 PM »

Put me down for $10.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2004, 02:59:34 PM »

THE OTHER STORY

One of my first jobs after college was as Assistant Manager at the Alex Theater, before it became the Historic Alex Theater, home to theatrical experiences extraordinaire.  Back when I worked there, it was just the plain old Alex Theater, a movie palace of old that had become shabby and tired, showing shabby and tired movies.  I’d been hired by one manager, who was a pretty decent fellow, still young and trying to get a family started.  When said family was on it’s way to becoming a threesome, he realized that he would need a larger income, and that managing a theater that was part of a chain was not the best means of providing same.  He left, and that’s when the new manager, Richard, arrived.

To say that Richard was a skunk was to put it mildly.  The man’s moral odiousness could have overpowered the fumes in an oil refinery.  He was given to calling me in on my days off, because he didn’t want to work that day himself.  I was on a regular salary, not on an hourly wage the way the rest of the staff was paid.  The extra time, according to him, was just part of the job.  Uh, right.

Was it part of the job, however, when he started asking me for sexual favors?  I politely but firmly told him that I didn’t think it was a good idea.  He didn’t care for that.

It was part of the job for me to work behind the concessions counter.  And I can understand being the only one behind the counter when there was no other staff to help.  But there were a few times when I was trying to keep up with the crowd, while he was standing next to the fellow taking tickets, laughing his head off while I kept getting in the weeds.  Yes, he could have sent the ticket taker over to help out, but he was having too good a time.  (This was after the sexual favors incident.)

And it really shouldn’t have been part of the job the night that I was on duty, with two usherettes, and…well, it was Richard’s night off.  All of a sudden he appeared, told Denise, who was in the box office at the time, to take a break, and then a few minutes later left.  At the next hourly check of the night’s take, Denise was twenty dollars short, and in tears.  Just to see what would happen, I took twenty out of my own pocket, so that Denise wouldn’t take the blame for the “miscount,” and added it to the till.  She was grateful, and Richard was strangely silent when he went over the receipts the next day.

I shouldn’t have been surprised when I was let go not too long after that, for “insubordination.”  I also shouldn’t have been surprised to learn that he quickly replaced me with someone the remaining staff referred to as “Richard’s new boyfriend.”  What was surprising was to learn that said boyfriend started ratting on Richard to the chain’s management.  Richard didn’t last long after I had left.  By that time, I had discovered I had some talents in the clerical field, and never returned to the Alex until years later.  

For some time the theater had been boarded up, an eyesore on Brand Boulevard, but the city of Glendale had decided to renovate the place.  The terrazzo in front of the theater was repaired, the old box office rebuilt, fresh coats of paint and new neon tubing applied.  The inside was fixed up in tones of muted gold and dark blue.  Der Brucer got us tix for the New Year’s Eve Gala Re-Opening, and we were dressed in our tuxedos as we joined the sold-out house to be entertained by Robert Guillaume.  The old place didn’t look the same.  The old memories didn’t connect.

Thank God!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2004, 03:01:40 PM »

That's a lovely new avatar, Woody!
Thank-you, Jenny!  You can't really tell, but the foursome have me completely wrapped up in their leashes.  If we got them to work together in a Jewish bakery, I bet they could braid some great Challah!

Robin

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2004, 03:03:47 PM »

Hello, everyone!

Yup, I'm back from the Cabin in the Sky in Wisconsin, and about to prepare din-din, so I'll make this brief.  

First off, I did very well in the Scrabble tournament.  I even got into the first round of the finals, but then played someone who outclassed me...big time.  Still, I gave him a fight, and only lost the game by seven measley points.  

Second off, the few days by the river were wonderful, and I'm relaxed as all get out.  

Third off, I read Kritzer Time...in one sitting.  Hopefully, I'll be posting a picture of my reading this tome, once the film comes back from Ritz Camera.  Then, you can see the surroundings in which I read the latest, greatest and last volume of the Benjamin Kritzer saga.  Which I loved without hesitation or equivocation.  

Fourth off, bye-bye for now...!  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Emily

« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2004, 03:08:59 PM »

woo hoo - I just reached page six of my paper!

huzzah!  yippee!

(only *gasp* eight more to go!!!)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2004, 03:09:56 PM »

Even I am impressed with one sitting!  Post your thoughts here or on the Kritzer board.  And also amazon and barnesandnoble.  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2004, 03:13:41 PM »

I've just read that the Heidi F. :-* story was indeed shot in Canada, but not in Toronto. Would you believe Calgary?
Also read that my old colleague Saul Rubinek (Daphne's jilted lawyer fiance on Frasier) is playing her dear old dad. All the more reason to watch.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 04:21:01 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2004, 03:20:03 PM »

All you smart engineer types out there...
I posted a few days ago that my daughter, Rachel, was sick, feeling light-headed, dizzy. The medics told her it might be dehydration (she'd just returned from Europe) or some bug she picked up. She felt better yesterday, is not feeling great today. BUT - she's just discovered that another girl on her floor in the dorm went to Emerg the same night with very similar symptoms. And this morning her roommate woke up with a sore throat and swollen eyes; and several other people are not feeling well in the dorm. I'm wondering - could there be something in the ventilation system?? ...Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 03:21:00 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2004, 03:22:20 PM »

One sitting, Robin! Very impressive!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2004, 03:28:01 PM »

Dumb question, but when does the daylight savings thing change? Or did it already?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2004, 03:38:53 PM »

Whar'd everybody go?   Chat in a mere hour and twenty minutes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up