Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BOOT BUNGLER  (Read 43966 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE BOOT BUNGLER
« on: March 29, 2004, 12:01:15 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've done the Twist, you know what Foolish things are coming up soon, and you are therefore ready, willing and, above all, able to post until the cows come home.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 12:02:31 AM by bk »

Danise

Re:THE BOOT BUNGLER
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 03:48:03 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  :)   :o First Post is MINE!   :)  :o[/move]

Gotta run but want to wish everyone a wonderful day!  Talk to you tonight when I get home from work!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 03:50:09 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 05:49:55 AM »

THE BOOT BUNGLER !!!

In the still, still, still of the night, someone broke into BK's and stole a boot?

BS's boot has  been  burgled?

::cue off stage voice::

"BUNGLE, you idiot, not BURGLE, BUNGLE!"

How awful! Someone burgled Bruce's bungled boot!

Nevermind.

der Bungling Brucer - almost a Crosby (Bing not Kim) reference
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 05:50:53 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 05:58:38 AM »

Some internet friends of ours make the news:

Ordinary people vowing to marry

(excerpts)

In many ways, they are a typical suburban couple.

They spend their weekends remodeling their tidy three-bedroom house, which sits on a quiet street in the Main Line community of Strafford. They enjoy gardening and cooking and spoiling their dog, Cybil.

They both come from large, traditional Catholic families, and they dote on their 17 nieces and nephews.

Now in their early 50s, they prefer quiet nights at home to going out on the town. They pay their taxes on time, look in on sick neighbors, and vote each election.

They are ordinary in all ways but one: Tim Dineen and Victor Martorano, a couple for nine years, are homosexuals. And that puts them squarely in the middle of the national debate on same-sex marriage.

But more important to the couple is what marriage stands for - a public acknowledgment of a couple's love and lifelong commitment. "Marriage is a stabilizing force in society," Dineen says, "and we want to be part of that stabilization."

After all, they consider themselves solid members of the community. And so do their neighbors. As Peg Schwartz, 73 and a registered Republican, told me later: "I can't say enough about them. They really could not be better neighbors. They are delightful. They're just nice, kind, caring people, and that's what you want in a neighbor." Having them next door has softened her position on gay marriage, she said. "If that makes them happy, then that's all that counts."

der Brucer (and, yes, Cybil is a Shepherd)

Jennifer

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 06:08:56 AM »

DR Swishy: Good vibes to you ~~~~~~~

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened.  Best wishes to you and the families of the kids involved.

DR Emily: I thought everyone knew about maple syrup on a stick!!!!!  Everyone needs to try it.   It is the best!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 06:10:53 AM by Jennifer »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 06:28:48 AM »

BK - Why didn't you warn me that the last 30 or so pages of KRITZER TIME would be so emotional that I'd be sitting on the subway with tears flowing (and making an occasional gasping noise)?  What a wonderful book.  I urge every DR who has bought the book and not read it to stop everything and read it and every DR who has not yet bought it to order it at once.  Of course you should read the first two books in the series first.  I shall be reviewing the whole trilogy and posting it on other sites as soon as I have time.  How does one submit a book to the Pulitzer Prize committee?

A very busy weekend so I'll make my comments brief.  PARDON MY ENGLISH (Encores!) immediately goes towards the top of the list of great score-awful book shows.  The Gershwin score is a mixture of familiar songs and songs even Ben Bagley had never revisited.  The book, however, has gone through many revisions since the original production's out-of-town tryout and still is almost unplayable.  The plot makes no sense and the jokes are mostly bad puns (I won't print an example because groaning is not allowed at HHW).  However the cast and the Gershwin songs were enough to make it worthwhile, and I'd rather see Encores do a rarely-produced show like this than shows everyone has seen several times.  By the way, Kitty Carlysle Hart took part in the discussion group.  I'd hate to see the picture in her attic.  She is 93 but looks much younger and her legs are still beautiful.

I'd always liked SWEENY TODD on CD and Video but seeing it in person for the first time (NYCO) was a wonderful experience.  The production featured Elaine Page as Mrs. Lovett and I can't imagine anyone better.  The same with Timothy Nolan as Sweeny who is doing half the performances yet for some unknown reason is getting none of the publicity.   The supporting cast was good but I had trouble understanding some lyrics (although there were Supertitles).  And unlike last year's NIGHT MUSIC, Hugh Wheeler was given a program bio this year.

The highlight of the weekend --- actualy of the last several months --- was FANNY (Musicals in Mufti)  Why is this hit from 1954 never done any more?  To begin with, it is Harold Rome's most beautiful score and like nothing else he wrote before or since.  But the book is every bit as good as the score and was so strong that when it was filmed it was done without songs.  The only semi-name in the cast of 12 was Matt Bogart, but everyone was perfect.  It was also back to standard Mufti format after last week's over-produced BEST FOOT FORWARD (highly entertaining but not done in the Mufti style).  I'd urge you all to see this except that it only played a limited run.  Maybe some producer will have seen it and realize that this show needs a full scale revival a lot more than many shows that have received them.

Tonight is is a concert of William Finn music with Betty Buckley, Raul Esparza, Stephen DaRosa and Jessie Tyler Ferguson.  

It's a busy day at work today so I have to go.  But no matter what I am doing at 11:00 I have to log on to Carnegie Hall's website as that's when tickets go on sale for Kristin Chenoweth's concert in September.  Another night her WICKED understudy will get to go on.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 06:50:37 AM »

The sad news about Swishy's friends:

15-Year-Old Driver Crashes, Killing Two Teens

By Michael Amon
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, March 29, 2004; Page B06

Two Loudoun County youths were killed late Saturday when the 15-year-old driver of the pickup truck they were riding in lost control of the vehicle and it spun down an embankment, authorities said. The accident marked the second and third deaths in a week of teenagers who lived in Ashburn.

The three teenagers were good friends and students at Stone Bridge High School, where they were heavily involved in the drama program, said Principal Jim Person.
"They were all good kids," Person said. "It's just devastating."

Pendola, Cibelli-Mason and the driver were gearing up for a school production of "Kiss Me, Kate" in May, Person said. Last year, Pendola performed in "Grease" as the nerdy student council member, Eugene.
"His expert comedic timing and perfectly geeky image make him a memorable character in every scene," a student critic noted in an online review of the play.

der Brucer ('tis sad when Youth is its own victim)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 06:57:13 AM »

Actor Peter Ustinov Dies at 82
Monday, March 29, 2004

GENEVA — Sir Peter Ustinov, a brilliant wit and mimic who won two Oscars for an acting career that ranged from the evil Nero in "Quo Vadis" to the quirky Agatha Christie detective Hercule Poirot, has died. He was 82.
Ustinov, a renaissance man whose talents included writing plays, movies and novels as well as directing operas, also devoted himself to the world's children for more 30 years as a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF
He died of heart failure Sunday night in a Genolier clinic near his home at Bursins in Swiss vineyards overlooking Lake Geneva, close friend Leon Davico), a former UNICEF spokesman, told The Associated Press.
"He was a great man. He was a human being. He was a unique person, someone you could really count on," said Davico.
….

der Brucer (still hunting for some happier news)

Emily

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 07:05:36 AM »

vibes to swishy, laura and your entire communities

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MBarnum

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004, 07:15:04 AM »

Bk, I am glad that you enjoyed the haunted house, twisting, dancing, singing Bhoot Bungla! I feel it is my duty to spread the joy that is Bollywood!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 08:11:14 AM by MBarnum »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 07:23:57 AM »

Remember when JoseS spoke of "eye candy" on stage in "Children of Eden"?

(Pic from Stan Barouch)

der Brucer (worried about retinal diabetes)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 07:42:52 AM »

Yes, I had read earlier this morning about Peter Ustinov. As EVIL UNDER THE SUN is one of my favorite mystery films and Ustinov plays Poirot so charmingly in it, I'm going to miss him.

That said, it's always been a mystery to me how he won a second Oscar for TOPKAPI. The movie's great fun, and he and everyone else in it does just wonderful work, but I've never found anything outstanding with his performance, and as he had won his first Oscar in 1960 for SPARTACUS, winning a second a mere four years later still to me is something of a shock. I suspect I would have given it either to Stanley Holloway for MY FAIR LADY or John Gielgud for BECKET.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2004, 07:45:59 AM »

Worst boss? Well, I worked at the same school for my entire 30 year career, and I had only three principals during that time. The worst, by far, was the last one. He would never listen to any advice from experienced teachers about spontaneous schedule changes with no prior warning, and he was terrible about calling all the staff into a meeting and criticizing us for something only one or two people were doing that he didn't like. In short, he had the backbone of a jellyfish and the common sense of a grain of sand, and I NEVER had any respect for him.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 07:46:31 AM by Matt H. »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2004, 07:59:20 AM »

Sarah, so much has happened to you and I don’t think there I have enough words to express how I feel for you.  I’m sorry this has happened.  I wish I could give you a big hug.  My heart hurts for you, your friend Nik, for Tony, Adam & their families & friends.  My deepest condolences.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2004, 08:19:04 AM »

Anbody else having trouble finishing the Radio Show? I got about halfway through and it won't play anymore. I'll come back after lunch and try again but it has just stopped. I was at clip 17 or 18 I think.

Jane

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2004, 08:20:19 AM »

For more on Peter Ustinov:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/29/obit.ustinov/

TCB-Angel is beautiful and  Czar Nicholas III is very handsome.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2004, 08:57:22 AM »

Might be able to take part in chat tonight since it's an hour earlier than usual. If I remember! Senior moments come quite often nowadays (a CHICAGO reference).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2004, 09:03:11 AM »

BK - Why didn't you warn me that the last 30 or so pages of KRITZER TIME would be so emotional that I'd be sitting on the subway with tears flowing (and making an occasional gasping noise)?  What a wonderful book.  I urge every DR who has bought the book and not read it to stop everything and read it and every DR who has not yet bought it to order it at once.  Of course you should read the first two books in the series first.  I shall be reviewing the whole trilogy and posting it on other sites as soon as I have time.  How does one submit a book to the Pulitzer Prize committee?

Thank you, WEL!  I don't know the answer to the Pulitzer question, but I'd love to have it submitted.  I would say of the thirty books that got shipped to dear readers about five have read it and a couple are in the midst of reading it and a couple are catching up with the second book before reading it.   It's a bit disheartening that everyone else is just letting it sit there like so much fish, but what can you do?  I look forward to reading your review, which I hope you'll post on amazon and barnesandnoble as well as right here at haineshisway.com.  Now, may I just say - fifteen posts?  Where in tarnation IS everyone?

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2004, 09:07:32 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Sarah.  My best wishes to you and everyone who loves Nik, Tony, and Adam.  My deepest condolences.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2004, 09:23:08 AM »

Remember when JoseS spoke of "eye candy" on stage in "Children of Eden"?
(Pic from Stan Barouch)

Yep.  I saw pretty quick that he wasn't talkin' about pouring maple syrup on snow.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2004, 09:27:43 AM »

Sarah, again you and your community will find their way into my prayers.  I hope that you are all helping each other to pull through this very difficult time.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2004, 09:31:25 AM »

It's a bit disheartening that everyone else is just letting it sit there like so much fish

I warned you, a while back, that I'm an extremely slow reader when it comes to fiction.  I'm smack dab in the middle of the first book right now.  I'm enjoying, savoring if you will, slowly.

Also going slowly is the writing of the new musical, but a little bit gets done every day.  Last night I had the revivifying experience of teaching a seminar on songwriting.  I talked about the old buildings on the banks of the Harlem River, quoted Alan Jay Lerner extensively, and played songs from Berlin & Gershwin to Janis Ian, Hairspray, Craig Carnelia and Katz.

Very tempted to go to that Finn thing, which we just heard about this morning.  It's part of a series of three musical theatre concerts: the other two are devoted to Charles Strouse and new works "Bound For Broadway."  I had the honor being included in last year's Bound For Broadway, which shows you how much of a misnomer that is.  (They did do an Avenue Q song, A Fine Fine Line, which didn't work so well sans puppet.)

I'm too upset about the deaths of Sarah's friends and acquaintances to say anything, et.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Emily

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2004, 09:31:28 AM »

Good afternoon/morning to one and all!

18 posts by 12:30EST?  Scandalous!  Horrific!  

I guess I have to do my part to increase our numbers... :D

I sitting in the computer lab writing a paper on representativeness (yes that IS a word even if Microsoft Word's dictionary doesn't recognize it as such) in Western European legislatures based on their electoral systems.

*Yawn*

My Worst Boss Ever:

Well... I haven't had any truly god-awful bosses yet (really I've only had two) but my last one was kind of annoying.  He would call me and the other younger-ish females working there "sweetheart" whenever he wanted us to do something for him as a favour (like getting his eye medication prescription filled on our lunch hours, or running half-way across the city on public transportation to pick up his suitcase after he forgot it at a meeting).  He also was well known for stealing other people's food.  He never ate lunch he claimed so he never brought food with him nor scheduled in time for himself to go buy himself something.  But around 2 in the afternoon he would get peckish and swoop down on the kitchenette the office had and basically take anything that was there.  Even if it had someone's name on it.  So... if there is one thing I learned about management techniques from that boss it's this: lunch is sacred - touch someone else's without asking and you might get a bottle of glue 'accidentally' spilled on your computer chair (we forgot to tell him about that BEFORE he sat down too... oops)

:D    
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 09:32:39 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2004, 09:40:54 AM »

Emily-LOL.  Did you really do that?  My approach would have been more dramatic-get really sick, in front of him, because he ate my food and faint as a result.  

Emily

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2004, 09:46:13 AM »

Emily-LOL.  Did you really do that?  My approach would have been more dramatic-get really sick, in front of him, because he ate my food and faint as a result.  

Well yeah... actually we did do it - but not initially on purpose.

I was using his office for something (I can't even remember) and as I was clearing away my papers, a bottle of white glue he had sitting on his desk fell on his chair.  The cap must have been loose because the glue splattered all over it.

I went to my supervisor (and co-conspirator) and told her what happened and asked what was the best way to get glue off of an upholstered chair.  A light went off in her head and she basically told me to leave it and get ready for a laugh.  

And laugh we did :D

(btw - we were both excellent employees ;) )
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 09:47:32 AM by Emily »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2004, 09:55:57 AM »

Very tempted to go to that Finn thing, which we just heard about this morning.  

What's to debate?  The guy's brilliant and the talent line-up looks great.  If it's anything like the "Infinite Joy" event a few years ago at Joe's Pub that was released on CD, you'll have a wonderful time.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2004, 09:59:48 AM »

(btw - we were both excellent employees ;) )

I'm sure you were.

I had very few employers I liked.  My last employer kept complaining I was spending too much time going to the bathroom.  Before you laugh, I was pregnant.  Now if she had ever had children she might have realized, compared to other pregnant women I hardly went at all.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2004, 10:08:29 AM »

I had trouble accessing this site earlier; perhaps that has something to do with relatively few posts today?

Worst Boss:

Hard to pick a worst boss (kind of like choosing the grittiest grain of sand on the beach), but...

*My first boss spent the interview trying to peek down my top and asked me "what's the WILDEST thing" I'd ever done, as if that were a standard job interview question.  I was 16.

*Then there was the assistant manager who was carrying stuff and had to open the door, but his hands were full...could I get the keys out of his front pocket?  I was 17.

*And who could forget the optometrist in his 60s who made it a habit to come up behind the girls in the office and give them involuntary shoulder massages?  By that time, I was an old lady of 20.

The moral of this tale?  Before girls and women venture into the work force, they should become well-versed in the martial arts.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2004, 10:31:29 AM »

DR Jane & Emily:  I think after seeing him sneak your food, you simply should have said, "Oh, my gosh, I feel extremely SICK, it must have been something i hate" :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2004, 10:32:14 AM »

Thank you, WEL!  I don't know the answer to the Pulitzer question, but I'd love to have it submitted.  I would say of the thirty books that got shipped to dear readers about five have read it and a couple are in the midst of reading it and a couple are catching up with the second book before reading it.   It's a bit disheartening that everyone else is just letting it sit there like so much fish, but what can you do?  I look forward to reading your review, which I hope you'll post on amazon and barnesandnoble as well as right here at haineshisway.com.  Now, may I just say - fifteen posts?  Where in tarnation IS everyone?

Well, since I'm behind the Pulitzer for SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE, I know the answer:  the Pulitzers are handled by the Columbia University School of Journalism.  I believe the office has its own phone number, and they can give all pertinent information on deadlines, entry fee (which was in 1984 amazingly inexpensive), and requirements (for SUNDAY, it was author profiles, recording, libretto and score, as I recall).  I've done it once and won, so I'm not doing it again!  But I think my dear friend BK deserves a nomination and I wish any submitter the best of luck.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up