Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CALIFORNIA, HERE I COME  (Read 57112 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: CALIFORNIA, HERE I COME
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2009, 09:56:01 AM »

DR Ginny I used to get headaches from Pepsi withdrawal.  I'm pleased to say I no longer am addicted.  I wish I liked coffee though, most morning I could use a good wake up jolt & energy boost.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2009, 09:56:14 AM »

What happens if you don't?

To be on the safe side you should make sure the kid's Life insurance is in full effect and keep a watchful eye on the kittens.

And if the Game Warden calls, don't answer.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Laura

« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »

LOL

DERBRUCER

« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »

The Net says: BK arrived on time (or at least his plane did)

der Brucer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2009, 10:53:24 AM »

I don't think I mentioned here that my digital camera, which I purchased just one year ago, started spewing the dreaded "Lens Error, Restart Camera" message last week while I was at the shore.  It's no longer under warranty, and even if it was, Canon does not fix this problem without charging at least half the price of the camera.  I've already tried the noninvasive methods to fix it that I've found on various sites on-line, so this weekend I will throw caution to the wind and actually open up the thing and try to repair it myself.  More than likely, it's a lost cause but I don't have anything to lose by trying.  Hopefully, I will find that the problem is simply a grain of sand that's lodged into a gear somewhere...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2009, 11:00:46 AM »

I will find that the problem is simply a grain of sand that's lodged into a gear somewhere...

Some say I have a grain of sand lodged into my gears.

der Brucer

DAW

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2009, 11:11:54 AM »

Then some day you may produce a beautiful pearl!     :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2009, 11:14:57 AM »

To welcome BK home I just PayPaled him $10 for a copy of TWO"S COMPANY

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2009, 11:32:29 AM »

Then some day you may produce a beautiful pearl!     :)

And -- voila! -- there's "S. Woody White"!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Laura

« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »

That's what mine was doing last week, Dan (the Man). I showed my DH, and of course, it fixed itself.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2009, 11:39:34 AM »

LATIMES

Architecture review: Anaheim's rail hub

The role that train travel plays in the American popular imagination is an increasingly contradictory one these days, somehow deeply nostalgic and symbolic of the future at the same time.

Getting from one city to another by train remains a thoroughly romanticized exercise — a humane relic of a more cosmopolitan and energy-efficient era in transportation. And yet trains have also become a key component of efforts by young planners, architects and politicians to re-imagine or revivify American urbanism, with separate piles of federal and state funds — in California’s case, nearly $10 billion — already earmarked for a network of new high-speed rail links.

The design for a $180-million train station and transit hub in Anaheim, by the Los Angeles office of the giant architecture firm HOK and engineers from Parsons Brinckerhoff, tries its best to enclose those contradictions under a single vaulted roof. Known officially as the Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center, or ARTIC, the planned station is suffused with a sepia-toned futurism — with longing for what will be as well as for what was.

The station, expected to be finished by 2013, will be full of modern amenities and rely on sophisticated engineering. Its exterior frame will combine long-span steel beams, producing largely column-free interior space, with ETFE, the flexible material that covered the “water cube” swimming facility at last summer’s Beijing Olympics. It will have to execute a gymnastic flexibility in slipping next to and eventually under the 57 overpass near Angel Stadium. Its tracks will have to accommodate Amtrak and Metrolink trains, as well as the anticipated high-speed line between Northern and Southern California and, possibly, another between Anaheim and Las Vegas.

As a visual symbol, ARTIC will operate quite differently. It will appeal to a charming, essentially 19th century notion of the train station as a place of metropolitan arrival: a grand portal designed to deliver passengers directly into the middle of a crowded, bustling city, lending some sense of glamour to a train trip simply by a kind of architectural osmosis. As the terminus of the California high-speed line’s first phase, which will also pass through Union Station in downtown Los Angeles, the station will mark a significant entrance to Orange County — and, in the process, perhaps produce the landmark, the symbol of place and character, that the county has always lacked (with the exception of its beaches and Disneyland, of course, which are nothing to sneeze at).

Just like Rome - civic grandeur overlaying urban misery.

The CA voters' propensity for ballot initiatives that speciically earmark funds allows this scenario where a bankrupt government can still keep building.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2009, 11:44:28 AM »

Then some day you may produce a beautiful pearl!     :)

And -- voila! -- there's "S. Woody White"!

Like Athena springing full-grown from the head of Zeus.

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2009, 11:53:51 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  I'm up early today because later this morning I'm having a medical screening that requires a 4-hour fast.  Had to get my coffee before the cut-off!

~~~Vibes for a Successful Screening for Ginny!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2009, 11:56:34 AM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  Other than taking off about fifteen minutes late, it was a very smooth flight and we got in right on time.  Seated in front of me was the very rotund Mr. Brian De Palma.  I've printed out all e-mails, downloaded all downloads, opened all packages, and now I must package up a few orders and get them shipped out.

DAW

« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2009, 12:02:52 PM »

Glad that you are safely home, bk, and that you had such a great trip.      :)

Laura

« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2009, 12:03:25 PM »

Welcome home.

George

« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2009, 12:17:38 PM »

To welcome BK home I just PayPaled him $10 for a copy of TWO"S COMPANY

der Brucer

As have I...just now. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »

Welcome home, BK!

George

« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2009, 12:20:09 PM »

Topic of the Day: 

In my CD player:  "Songs of New York," with some orchestrations by our very own Elmore (and the singers include Ron Raines and Kim Criswell)!  After that will be the original cast recording of The Brain From Planet X, again...still waiting to hear.

In my DVR:  the latest episodes of "Royal Pains" and "Warehouse 13," and tonight's "Psych."

In my DVD player:  the complete series (on one DVD), "Quark"...yes, for real. :D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »

Seated in front of me was the very rotund Mr. Brian De Palma. 

Still copying Hitchcock, evidently.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2009, 01:21:17 PM »

I don't use a Mac but you do not have to purchase the software. It's just an upgrade of the current operating system. Apparently they have trimmed it down (out of the ordinary for a technical company) and it is supposed to run faster and take up less room on your hard drive. It's supposed to be an excellent upgrade (even if he wasn't so cute I would still trust David Pogue  ;)) but if you're happy with what you have there is no reason to spend even $30 upgrading. Pogue (not CP) does mention that there are some programs which don't work as well with Snow Leopard but those kinks should be ironed out as time goes by.

BTW Macolytes, this is not intended to be a Mac bashing post at all. I feel this way about software in general. If you're happy with what you have (Windows or Microsoft) you don't have to buy something new. Our photo editing program is from 1996 and it works beautifully. I stopped using Norton virus software because it became a huge bloated unreliable mess.

It's all marketing, making you think that if you don't have this your life will be less worth living. I don't think so.

I agree completely. I still use Word 2000. I feel comfortable with the software and what it does, so it goes where I go. Same with PUBLISH IT! a desktop publishing program. When I want to do a cover for a DVD-R or CD-R, this is the program I usually end up using, and it's at least 15 years old.

I would never have had Vista, Windows XP or ME or 98 if these programs hadn't come with new computers I bought. I've always been satisfied with the operating system that comes with the computer I'm using and have never switched over to something else as long as I've used that computer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2009, 01:23:58 PM »

Before I headed out on my usual Friday errands, I watched THE MENTALIST from last night. It's an enjoyable episode even if Jane doesn't use many of his observational tricks in this one.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2009, 01:27:39 PM »

When I got back I watched the season finale of ROYAL PAINS while I ate lunch. Good season closer. I was sure they were going to send Hank into the arms of the blonde girl he was treating. Glad they didn't go there (yet).

Wonder who they'll cast as Hank and Evan's father?

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »

Then I struggled through the first part of today's work project - THE HUMAN CONDITION 1. The first film in this trilogy is 209 minutes long, so it's divided into two parts, and I got to the end of part one though I did have to stop TWICE to take naps because I was nodding off.

The film is interesting, but a hot lunch, and gentle fan blowing a nice breeze on me, and a lack of a full night's sleep took its toll on me this afternoon. I hope I can be more alert tonight. The film deserves my full attention and to be able to run without interruption.

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2009, 01:31:49 PM »

I had time left over this afternoon to skim through today's soaps. ATWT didn't have Luke, but I did follow the Holden storyline such as it was (really just a lot of filler to end out the week.)

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2009, 01:32:41 PM »

OLTL had Fish, Kyle, and, of course, I knew Fish would end up in Staci's bed. I'm sure there will be a love child somewhere along the way, too, though the end of the episode was at least heartening.

td

• td
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2009, 01:33:04 PM »

Something nice for all of us Hitchcock fans:
http://themave.com/Hitch/
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2009, 01:41:35 PM »

Oh, my, it just gets worse and worse:

Library Union Says Workers Will Be Fired
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2009, 02:02:03 PM »

Something nice for all of us Hitchcock fans:
http://themave.com/Hitch/

That is kind of neat, but REAR WINDOW wouldn't come up on my computer.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2009, 02:08:51 PM »

It's been raining very lightly this afternoon. I had hoped to nmow the grass tomorrow morning but now that's iffy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up