Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DREAMING OF NUTMEATS  (Read 51478 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:DREAMING OF NUTMEATS
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2004, 07:21:27 AM »

I guess the PC crowd hasn't noticed these yet:

and these were fun:

der Brucer (gaining weight doing research!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2004, 07:24:18 AM »

Thanks Der Brucer. The Nestle smarties are the one I know (and they are like M&Ms). I had no idea that you didn't have those in the US.

I think part of the reason for my surprise is that I watch US tv all the time. And I see commercials for smarties (the chocolate ones) all the time.  There is one playing now where they are separating them into colors on a table.

What I tend to forget is that many US shows, are also shown on Canadian channels simultaneously.  And when that happens, the commercials are Canadian, which I always forget.

So basically none of you here are familiar with the chocolate colored smarties?  That is so sad! :)

(they are actually very good).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2004, 07:27:42 AM »

***WARNING - THREATS AHEAD!***

My calculations tell me that if we average 160 posts/per day we will reach 50,000 by July 4.

Maybe I could post a picture of every candy made and shorten the time!

(And MBarnum could post a digest of every Bollywood film ever made, and TCB could list all the double-entendres he's exposed, and Noel could list all the lyrics he's written, and Pogue could list a brief description of evey book he owns, and elmore could describe every measure he's arranged - wait, now I've gone too far!)

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2004, 07:28:42 AM »

Fun dip!  That is the name for Lulu's Lik M Aid.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2004, 07:32:59 AM »

Well, truth be told, I never met a piece of candy I DIDN'T like. Really. I have an incurable sweet tooth and would rather have candy than regular food any day of the week.

All of my favorites have been named (I always loved any chocolate with nuts so Almond Joy, Snickers, Mars Bars, Hersheys with Almonds were nirvana)except I noticed no one has mentioned (unless I read too fast) Mary Janes, and I also loved candy lipstick. I know, it sounds weird, but it was a wonderfully fun piece of red colored candy rolled in the shape of a lipstick in foil paper. I could eat a lot of those at a time.

Trouble with all the candy is overindulgence. I couldn't be happy with just one Milky Way or Mars bar. I had to have five. (And in my youth, I wouldn't gain an ounce even eating all this junk.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2004, 07:39:06 AM »

...I noticed no one has mentioned (unless I read too fast) Mary Janes, and I also loved candy lipstick.

I bet you were cute in your Mary Janes and candy lipstick 8)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2004, 07:53:05 AM »

ANOTHER FLAME GOES OUT

Broadcaster Alistair Cooke Dies at 95
Tuesday, March 30, 2004

LONDON — Alistair Cooke, the broadcaster who epitomized highbrow television as host of "Masterpiece Theatre" and whose "Letter from America" was a radio fixture in Britain for 58 years, has died, the British Broadcasting Corp.  said Tuesday. He was 95.

Cooke died at his home in New York at midnight, a spokeswoman at the BBC's press office said. No cause of death was given, but Cooke had retired earlier this month because of heart disease.

"I have had much enjoyment in doing these talks and hope that some of it has passed over to the listeners, to all of whom I now say thank you for your loyalty and goodbye," Cooke said on March 2 when he stepped down on the advice of his doctor.

In a speech to the Royal Television Society (search) in New York in 1997, Cooke traced the development of his urbane, soft-spoken style to his wartime work with the BBC.

"During the end of the war, the BBC in New York invited various famous exiles, Frenchmen mostly, to come and talk to the underground in France — famous, famous, great literary men," Cooke said.

"And I had the privilege of sitting in the control room, and I thought that I will learn about broadcasting from listening to these men...

"What I learned is that they were dreadful broadcasters. They wrote essays, or lectures, or sermons and they read them aloud. And I suddenly realized there was a new profession ahead. Which is writing for talking. Putting it on the page in the syntactical break-up and normal confusion that is normal talk," he said.

Cooke also recalled some advice when he started the program.

"A wise old talks producer came to me and said, 'Cooke, a word in your ear. Could I give you a bit of advice?' I said, 'Of course.' He said, 'Don't get too popular ... or they'll drop you.'"

Read the entire AP story

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2004, 07:58:17 AM »

Yes, I read about Alistair Cooke this morning. Have so many fond memories of his introductions and closing comments from years of watching MASTERPIECE THEATRE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2004, 08:29:50 AM »

I knew candy would bring out the postings.

Pogue: What is "Bun"?

I'm gettin' me some Chocolate Babies!  Do they still call them that or do they call them something more times-friendly.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2004, 08:39:37 AM »

I'm in the middle of watching the '30s version of Imitation of Life, but just had to break away to tell you all that thanks to this film, I now have a new favorite pick-up line - to wit:

"My name is Steven Archer, and I'm an icthyologist."
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2004, 08:40:12 AM »

What do the chocolate babies have in them?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2004, 08:40:21 AM »

I noticed several of us don't have flags actually?  Don't know why...

I agree with Lulu that Circus Peanuts were the worst-tasting crap around, Blecch!

Right now, Bed, Bath, and Beyond here in LA is selling boxes of DOTS for 99 cents.  They're kinda like JUJYFRUITS only a little softer and kinder on the teeth.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2004, 08:45:39 AM »

BK...a Bun was a somewhat roundish chocolate cluster with peanuts and a vanilla creamish filling inside.  They also came with a maple filling which I could do without.  They may have been regional, but you really never saw them in the rack by the supermakret check-out counter.  I have stumbled across them here and there in La.  Like at Whack-O.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2004, 08:55:03 AM »

I have to say that Canadian chocolate bars (Rowntree, Nielsen, Cadbury) are superior to U.S. (Hershey's). I've done comparison tests.

Chuckles were also great.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2004, 08:56:04 AM »

I just added a map. (You modify your member profile.)

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2004, 09:00:58 AM »

Yep, DR CP, you need to add your location to your member profile (to get your flag shown).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2004, 09:01:16 AM »

Chocolate babies are chewy chocolate - there is no filling, nothing inside.  

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2004, 09:04:05 AM »

I have to say that Canadian chocolate bars (Rowntree, Nielsen, Cadbury) are superior to U.S. (Hershey's). I've done comparison tests.

Oh gosh I love chocolate!

What other chocolate bars do we have that the US doesn't (or vice versa)?

Lulu

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2004, 09:05:52 AM »

A friend of mine who was born in Brazil (moved to the states when she was 6 or 7) once brought me back a VERY yummy chocolate bar from a visit back; unfortunately, I can't remember the name!  But it had crispy wafers and was kind of like a Kit Kat bar, but different.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2004, 09:07:28 AM »

Good morning!

-Just doing some laundry... I realized that clean clothes would be a good thing for Opening Night tonight.  ;)

Candy?  Did you say Candy?

As DR Matt H stated, there's never really been a candy I haven't liked - or at least haven't given a try... or two.  Heck, I even like salted licorice - although, it's not something I have often, but if I happen to come across a store that sell the little salted pieces, then I'll get a small bag to tide me over for a while.  -Oh, but I'll always go for some All-Sorts.

I'm a big fan of anything Hershey's, M&M-Mars, Godiva, Michel Cluizel, Ferrarra Pan,... Oh, and what's that other chocolate company in Pennsylvania?  They make great chocolate drops and assorted baking pieces/goodies.

And, yes, Maple Nut Goodies are still being made.  In fact, I went through a bag last night during and after the show.  And then there's Bridge Mix, Chocolate Stars, Non-Pareils, all those various nut clusters, etc...

Then there are some of those regional faves: Modjeskas (caramel covered marshmallows!), Mallo-Cups, Sky Bars, Necco Wafers, Nut Goodies, etc.

And my favorite "ethnic "candy" are those tamarind pods which are coated with salt, sugar and chile powder.  And there's a certain type of Filipino polvorone which are made with dehydrated milk, sugar and assorted flavorings - oh, and those pili nut clusters are good too.

Well, time to head out - I need to pick up a new MIDI cable for the keyboard...

Oh, but also Cowtails, Goetz's Caramels, Bit O'Honeys, Mary Janes...
Make Your Own Luck.

Lulu

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2004, 09:08:40 AM »

Oh, and BK, now that you're here...

We watched the To Catch a Thief DVD last Friday (and thoroughly enjoyed it...why didn't Brigitte Auber have a bigger career here?  She was utterly delightful) and was wondering if you know what the OAR was?  According to DVD sites, it's 2.35:1, but the DVD itself seems to be framed as 1:85:1, and we noticed that it sometimes looked as though pan-and-scan was being employed (maybe it was just strange camera work??).  The film was shot in VistaVision, which I thought had the same ratio as CinemaScope, which was typically 2.35:1, no?

The more I think I know about proper framing, the more I find I have to learn.  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2004, 09:08:48 AM »

Yummy. My teeth are hurting reading all this!

Any time now - as soon as Adelphia shows up - I shall have a high speed cable modem. Wheeeeee!

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2004, 09:09:40 AM »

Chocolate babies are chewy chocolate - there is no filling, nothing inside.  

So it's hollow?

But not like easter bunny hard chocolate, right?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2004, 09:17:33 AM »

I'm gettin' me some Chocolate Babies!  Do they still call them that or do they call them something more times-friendly.

Order Chocolate Babies Here!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2004, 09:19:47 AM »

Lulu, as always, the DVD sites are full of beans.  VistaVision was a non-anamorphic.  The film was shot with the film going through the camera horizontally and took up two standard film frames.  There were only one or two films actually projected in VistaVision - all others were simply printed in standard 35mm, but the filming process brought out extra resolution, so even the 35 prints were incredibly sharp.  VistaVision was designed to be projected at either 1:66, 1:85, or 2:0 but NEVER scope (2:55 or later 2:35).  Most theaters in the US projected it at 1:85, the standard theatrical ratio after 1954.  The framing of To Catch a Thief is what it should be.  If you ever see a full-frame transfer of a VistaVision film and you look carefully during the logo you will see on the right hand side some lines appear - those lines contain all the various framing marks.  Those lines also appear at the beginning of every reel.  In 1:85 you don't see them, but full frame they're there plain as day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2004, 09:20:20 AM »

Jennifer, try to read my lips - CHEWY.  Not hollow.  Like caramel chewy.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2004, 09:20:26 AM »

I am not a big candy fan, no sweet tooth here unless it's for maple syrup on my ice cream, so I have to pass on the TotD.  My Joe, however, is very big on Cadbury Bars (and despises Hershey).  I wait for the 99¢ sales at, say, Stop'n'Shop and then go to every store in the area and buy them out in the Milk Chocolate (no nuts for him), store them in the basement, and bring them upstairs in lots of seven, so he can have one a day, usually at night, right after brushing his teeth.  No the best for dental health, but he loves them so.

Then again, all these candy babies and gummy worms and all put me to mind of the late, lamented Erotic Bakery that was in Greenwich Village in the '70s.  Joe took me there and bought me a chocolate treat to embarrass me, and then I embarrassed him by walking down the street eating it--slowly.  

When Sweeney Todd first opened, Len Cariou was going with Glen Close, I was told.  I don't remember whether they actually got engaged or what, but my friend in the cast related that the company had an after-the-show party for them.  The centerpiece was a cake from said Erotic Bakery ornamented with candy bossoms, and the legend on the cake read "Eat Them All, 'Cause Every One's a Prize."
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2004, 09:20:59 AM »

No link, der brucer, but I'm assuming it's that oldtimecandy thing

DERBRUCER

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2004, 09:21:36 AM »

BK...a Bun was a somewhat roundish chocolate cluster with peanuts and a vanilla creamish filling inside.  They also came with a maple filling which I could do without.  They may have been regional, but you really never saw them in the rack by the supermakret check-out counter.  I have stumbled across them here and there in La.  Like at Whack-O.

Are these they?

"Bun Candy Bars... absolutely one of our favorites! 1.75 ounces of milk chocolate, roasted peanuts and creamy center."

der Brucer (shopper for the stars)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2004, 09:22:36 AM »

Can someone explain to this Luddite the meaning of "anamorphic" and "non-anamorphic?"  And why "non-anamorphic" isn't just plain "morphic?"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 09:29:39 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up