Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DREAMING OF NUTMEATS  (Read 51515 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DREAMING OF NUTMEATS
« on: March 30, 2004, 12:02:01 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've divined their true meaning, and now you are ready to make with the excellent postings.  And remember, VIVID descriptions.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 12:01:45 AM by bk »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:DREAMING OF NUTMEATS
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 12:14:55 AM »

Favourite candies growing up:  Three Musketeers, Clark Bar, Bun.  I've always been a sucker for candy corn and my Grandmother used to keep those orange slice candies in her candy bowl in the front hall of her house. I now have the candy bowl.  It is filled with unappetizing coins.

I still love Three Musketeers.  Though today I really love peanut m&m's.  And though I guess it's really not candy, I also love peanut brittle.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 12:18:57 AM »

MARZIPAN!!! Marzipan pigs, marzipan fruit, chocolate covered marzipan.
Bridge Mixture. Yummy. (Is that what it's called in the US or only in Canada?)
Black licorice babies (no longer pc).
Those long string-like pieces of licorice.
Hungarian liquor chocolate cherries.
Almond Joy Bars. Two yummylicious bars in every package. The coconuttiest. I'm drooling!
And on special occasions I'd get a box of Black Magic Chocolates. Each box had a sheet of illustrations of each piece and what it consisted of. I'd lovingly gaze at the illustrations and carefully select a piece, maybe two... or three.
And dark chocolate covered orange peels.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 12:22:32 AM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 12:23:52 AM »

Peanut brittle is most certainly candy, although not the sort you'll find wrapped by a megamanufacturer and sold at the local 7-11.  I've no intention of making it myself, as I don't have that kind of a sweet tooth.

I do have a fondness for M&Ms.  When I was a kid, I'd suck on them, disolving that hard candy shell down to where the milk chocolate was.  If I sucked enough of the red ones, or the green, they'd stain my tongue.  I'm going to have to teach the grandlads that stunt!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 12:24:58 AM »

I just noticed that FS Pogue has no flag. Is he a man without a country?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 12:27:25 AM »

Oh, Panni, you would remind me!  I wasn't a big fan of Almond Joy, but Mounds were high on my list.  I think it was the dark chocolate that I loved (still do!), matched with the same coconut filling found in the Almond Joys.  I'll always pick out the dark chocolates from a box, leaving the milk chocolates for everyone else.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 02:50:33 AM »

Great photos of your kitties, TCB!  ;D

When I was growing up, my favorite candies were the hard Christmas candies.  Especially the ribbon kind....green with white or silver stripes.  You could let it melt in your mouth or crunch and crunch.  It had a kind of peppermint flavor.

I also liked Brach's Maple Nut Goodies, which I think are still available.  A hard maple shell, light brown, with walnut pieces inside.  MMMMMMMMMMMM...

Here is your Allison Hayes picture of the week:  Tonda in La Bruja De La Selva (the Witch of the Jungle) as it was known in Mexico, or just the plain old Disembodied here in the US!   Her voodoo dance in a costume with a big zipper in the back and curtain fringe on the front was a highlight of her career - if not film choreography!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 04:24:02 AM »

I always enjoyed SMARTIES. But SMARTIES from Canada and not SMARTIES from the USA. Because the SMARTIES from the USA are called SWEET TARTS in Canada. SMARTIES in Canada are like M & M in the USA with the exception that they CAN melt in your hand and the candy shell over the chocoalte (or the peanuts) are hot as hard as the shells on the M & M

Also great chocolate bars from Canada: Coffee Crisp, Aero, Crunchie, Mr. Big and Caramilk
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 05:39:38 AM »

I liked hard candies, my favorite being "Sour Cherries." Just the memory makes my mouth pucker. Best flavors of Lifesavers were Butter Rum, Wint-O-Green and Cryst-O-Mint. I also liked Pixie Stix as well as those colored dots of candy stuck to strips of paper.

Sorry to have been E & T yesterday - computer glitches.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 05:44:15 AM »

Black licorice babies (no longer pc).

PC or not, they are still marketed by Old Time Candy

or you can get chocolate:

der site super shopper Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 05:52:31 AM »

Wowee!  I'm FINALLY logged in!

Has anybody else had a problem lately of pages on this here site loading r-e-a-l-l-y slowly?

Candy Memories:

The Majik Market on the corner:  

The neighborhood kids and I would sometimes walk ALL through the winding suburban streets of our neighborhood until we reached the Majik Market on the corner of a couple of (relatively) major streets (the names of which are lost to the mists of time).  There, we would stock up on Now 'n' Laters (which, when I heard other kids mention them, I was sure must have been spelled Nounladers - I finally "got it" once I saw the packaging), Tangy Taffy, Lik-M-Aid and Pixy Stix (both pure colored sugar...heroin for kids), Marathon Bars (we never figured out that all the holes created by the "braiding" meant that we weren't getting more candy for our money, even though the bar was longer), Bit o' Honey, SweetTarts, Tootsie Rolls (and of course, we'd keep the cardboard tube to use as a bank for our pennies), Jolly Rancher Stix (especially "Fire," which was hot cinnamon), and Pop Rocks (we were all convinced that "Mikey" from the Life cereal commercials had died when he combined Pop Rocks with Pepsi and his stomach exploded).  Also, there were these things that were plastic coffins with candy bones inside (same kind of candy as SweetTarts) and plastic lockers with candy books, pencils, gym shoes, etc.

On the Homefront:

The sugar fix of choice was gallons and gallons of Kool-Aid, preferably grape (this was before all the fancy dancy flavors like Bomberific Berry Blue or whatever...I remember cherry, orange, and grape, and that's it).  Next in popularity were those tubes of colored sugar syrup you stuck in the freezer, then would snip the top of the plastic tube with scissors and push the frozen sugary sludge up through the opening as you ate it.  What the heck were those things called?

Halloween:

Tiny candy bars like Three Musketeers, Snickers, etc. were THE BEST!  Definitely the top of the Halloween Food Chain.  Significantly lower were such delicacies as wax Coke bottles with sugar syrup inside (bite the top off the wax bottle and suck out the syrup), the previously mentioned Bit o' Honey and Tootsie Rolls, Joe Palooka bubblegum (wrapped up in a crummy joke that had whiskers in 1922, and hard as a rock), and - lowest of the low - apples.  Even if you'd wanted to eat the apple, everybody's parent was razor-blade aware and would never have let you consume it, anyway.  But what self-respecting kid would be happy with an apple on Halloween?  We knew apples were GOOD for you - who did they think they were fooling?

At the movies:

As someone else already mentioned, Snowcaps; also Jujubes (I wonder how many kids had their fillings pulled out by those things?), Good 'n' Plenty (remember the original "Sneak Previews" on PBS?  Gene Siskel's credit appeared on a box of Good 'n' Plenty.  Don't remember what Roger Ebert's credit appeared upon), Goobers (I always thought it strange that a candy would seek to invoke the image of the guy from the Andy Griffith Show), and Junior Mints.

Any other Junior Mints fans here?  Ever notice how Junior Mints would be really, really good up until a certain point, maybe 2/3 of the way through the box, when you would suddenly become violently nauseated?  Or was that just me?  I have a very vivid memory, though I was only a wee lass at the time, of eating Junior Mints while watching "Grease" with my mom and cousin.  Just as I reached the "very very nauseous" point, the film reached the scene in the restaurant where Stockard Channing and Jeff Conaway are having an argument and he very sloppily shoves half his hamburger into his face just to get her goat.  I came very close to tossing my cookies right there (but didn't).

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 05:55:18 AM »

My favorite movie candy treat was either Jujy Fruits or Turkish Taffey.

Jujy Fruits still abound:

However the following tip from CandyWarehouse may not be universally appreciated:

Fun Movie Tip: Sit near the front of the theater... chew a Jujy Fruit for about 30 seconds or until soft... throw at movie screen... win a prize if your Jujy Fruit actually sticks to the screen! Prizes redeemable from the movie theater usher/valet. (-;

Unfortunately, Bonomos Turkish Taffey is no longer manufactured; it does, however, have a fascinating history:

(excerpts from Old Time Candy):

The candy, which first appeared as a nickel bar after World War II, became a favorite with the economy-minded. Unlike some of its competitors, which melted in your mouth, Turkish Taffy eroded slowly, and it was so chewy that a single bar could last through most of a double feature at the movies.

Mr. Bonomo (pronounced BAHN-uh-moh) was born into the candy business and actually had Turkish roots. His father, Albert J., was a Sephardic Jew who had emigrated from Turkey. In 1897, the year before Victor Bonomo was born, his father started making candy in Coney Island to supply concessions at the amusement park. After World War I, Victor joined his father in running the candy factory on Eighth Street in Coney Island, where saltwater taffy and hard candies were produced.

As World War II ended, sugar rationing gave way and the entire country was eager to indulge its sweet tooth. Bonomo's joined the race to satisfy the surging demand, promoting three candy bars, "Thanks," "Hats Off" and "Call Again," which Tico Bonomo, Victor's son, described as "poor man's Milky Ways."

Then the candy cooks at the Coney Island factory came up with a batter of corn syrup and egg whites that was cooked and then baked.

"It was not really a taffy but what is technically known as a short nougat," explained Tico Bonomo. Nor was it Turkish. "It was not a family recipe and the name we chose, 'Turkish Taffy,' just reflected clever marketing," he said.

It cooled into sheets the size of school desks, which were distributed through Woolworth stores around the country. Clerks at the candy counters used ball-peen hammers to whack the sheets, breaking off shards that were sold by the pound.

Apparently this method of distribution merely whetted appetites for the candy, then available only in vanilla. Mr. Bonomo had the slabs cut into panels the size of 1945 nickel Hershey bars, which were larger that 1999 65-cent Hershey bars. The bars were packaged in wrappers that showed smiling men in fezzes pouring batter into a huge vat. Of course, in Turkey, the fez had been outlawed by Kemal Ataturk in the 1920's, but back in the 50's the design drew no complaints.

(end)

Now eBay will sell me an empty box for 40bucks or so

and I could buy a box car for a train set

but no more Turkish Taffy  :'(

der Brucer (warning: do not inadvertantly enter "Juicy Fruits" into a serach engine!)

Lulu

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2004, 05:57:29 AM »

Oops...almost forgot Grandma's House:

Oreo, Chips Ahoy, and Archway cookies (the ones with the dab of strawberry jam - or whatever - right in the center) in the cookie jar, which was one of those "figural" deals with trees and a shepherd playing a pan flute on it.  In the freezer: The cheapest "ice milk" in either vanilla, chocolate, or Neopolitan.  Never any other brand or any other flavor.

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2004, 06:15:10 AM »

I always enjoyed SMARTIES. But SMARTIES from Canada and not SMARTIES from the USA. Because the SMARTIES from the USA are called SWEET TARTS in Canada. SMARTIES in Canada are like M & M in the USA with the exception that they CAN melt in your hand and the candy shell over the chocoalte (or the peanuts) are not as hard as the shells on the M & M

I am so confused.  Are you saying that US smarties are NOT chocolate with a candy shell (like M & Ms)?

(i am stunned).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2004, 06:15:13 AM »

OMG DR LULU - Bit O Honey, of course!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2004, 06:15:43 AM »

Since I deal with candy all day I'll pass.  Suffice it to say our company m,akes candy sticks (which were called candy cigarettes in the old days) and various forms of gummio candies.

I must keep this short as I am still half asleep.  The William Finn concert was almost three hours long and while I wouldn't have cut one wonderful minute, I didn't get home until after midnight and am running at half speed today.  If I have a chance later, I'll post more details of the concert.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2004, 06:18:42 AM »

Hands down:  Snickers.

Also: Junior Mints, and Snow Caps.  I also recall be enthused for a time about something I think was called Chick'n Sticks, which was sort of like a Clark or Butterfinger or 5th Avenue bar, but without the chocolate.

Have recently developed a growing fondness for PayDays.

With Passover right around the corner, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Joyva Chocolate Covered Ring Jells.  (Dark chocloate of course, so they could be eaten after a fleishig -- or meat -- meal.)

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2004, 06:23:29 AM »

OMG those chocolate babies are cute!

Wow, you guys are really candy experts.  I feel so inferior.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2004, 06:26:58 AM »

Wowee!  I'm FINALLY logged in!

Has anybody else had a problem lately of pages on this here site loading r-e-a-l-l-y slowly?

Lulu,

I'm not sure if you're experiencing the same trouble that I had some months back. My aggravation started when a site called "Global Finder" hijacked my homepage. I hope that hasn't happened to you, but let me know if it has.

Lulu

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2004, 06:32:30 AM »

Dan in Toronto:

I don't think that's the problem, because 1) I'm only having the problem with super-slow loading HERE, and 2) The hubby has constructed a firewall to protect me from such things.

Thanks for your concern, though! :)

Lulu

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2004, 06:37:56 AM »

OMG DR LULU - Bit O Honey, of course!

You can still get Bit o' Honey here:

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/bit-o-honey.htm

Lulu

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2004, 06:44:41 AM »

How about the WORST candy you ate as a kid?

Circus Peanuts    (orange styrofoam in the shape of elephantiasis-deformed peanuts)

Lik-M-Aid      (colored sugar in one foil packet and a piece of chalk in the other...you like the chalk (okay, it wasn't REALLY chalk, but kinda) and stick it in the sugar, then like the chalk clean.  Repeat.  When all the sugar is gone, eat the chalk.  DISGUSTING.)

Bazooka Joe bubblegum        (see description in my mammoth post above.)

Wax lips/fangs         (no further explanation necessary)

Valentine candy hearts

Bomb Pops       (those red-white-and-blue popsicles you got from the ice cream man)

Lulu

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2004, 06:45:38 AM »

"like the chalk" = "lick the chalk"

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2004, 06:54:29 AM »

Lik-M-Aid      (colored sugar in one foil packet and a piece of chalk in the other...you like the chalk (okay, it wasn't REALLY chalk, but kinda) and stick it in the sugar, then like the chalk clean.  Repeat.  When all the sugar is gone, eat the chalk.  DISGUSTING.)

I LOVE THAT!  I don't think that is the name I know it by, but I think it is called something like lick a stick (?)

It has a delicious stick and you dip it in the flavored sugar. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2004, 06:59:06 AM »

I'm not sure if you're experiencing the same trouble that I had some months back. My aggravation started when a site called "Global Finder" hijacked my homepage. I hope that hasn't happened to you, but let me know if it has.

What is global finder, i'm curious.

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2004, 07:01:06 AM »

Wow.

Michael Cerveris will star in the title role of the Ravinia Festival's production of Sunday in the Park with George this summer. Cerveris joins the previously announced Audra McDonald as Dot and Patti LuPone as Yvonne in the musical, which runs Sept. 3-5 at the Chicago theatre.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/85229.html

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2004, 07:13:33 AM »

Yes, DR Jennifer.   I read that this morning as well.  But, tell me, why is LaLuPone playing Yvonne??

DERBRUCER

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2004, 07:14:02 AM »

I am so confused.  Are you saying that US smarties are NOT chocolate with a candy shell (like M & Ms)?

(i am stunned).

De-stunning follows:

For the US market "Smarties are made by the Ce De Candy company. (Although some of their product is manufactured in Canada.

US Smarties look like this:

Their web site FAQs state:

7) Q: I bought Smarties in Canada, and they were more like M&M's. What gives?
A: Ce De Candy only owns the trademark to the name Smarties in the United States. Outside the United States, Smarties is a registered trademark of Societe' des Produits Nestle' S.A. and are more like M&M's. If you are in Canada, and want your tart and sweet favorite candy look for Rockets!

The Nesltle Smarties look like this:

and are described by their Aussie vendor as "Milk chocolate in a crisp sugar shell."

der de-stunner Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2004, 07:18:00 AM »

Wax lips/fangs         (no further explanation necessary)

A picture's worth a thousand words:

der Brucer - for those of you needing a candy-recollection guide, Old Time Candy has lists by decade!

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2004, 07:21:25 AM »

As a little kid in Medford we (me and my cousins) would walk down to the Corner Store on Griffin Creek Road and I would always buy a Jolly Rancher Green Apple stick! Usually we would get the candy cigarettes as well. Those were fun. Flicks were my favorite movie theater treat and on special occassions my mom would take us to the import store and we could get those yummy rice paper candies which I still see at the stores. Oh, and Cracker Jacks were great...back in the days when they had "good" prizes!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up