Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST  (Read 28307 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2009, 08:51:12 AM »

Yes, Druxy, the use of the word "servant" was stupidly chosen.  However, review the comments underneath the clip for a nice example of the "enlightened discourse" one is usually offered from the more rabid element of the reactionist Right.  I personally find that much more troubling than the clip itself.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR WILLIAM E LURIE.

Happy Birthday to ROB son of DR GINNY and DH RICHARD.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »

I shall not discuss the topic of the day.  I understand it completely and I am not an extremist or a far right nut - but some opinions cannot be expressed without one being accused of same.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2009, 08:54:56 AM »

Commissions were lovely yesterday - so I have ordered BANK SHOT from Kritzerland.  When the accelerated release schedule - i.e. two a month - begins, I may not be able to keep up....time will tell.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2009, 08:55:26 AM »

The one thing I would change would be the influence of "special interests" on the nation's politicians.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2009, 08:57:34 AM »

Great gobs of joy on your birthday WEL!

FJL

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2009, 08:58:28 AM »

The clip confused me in isolation, but (for better or worse) seems more logical as the concluding sentences of the full four-minute clip, so here'[s the full four-minute clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYGUnR0wiCw

JMK

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2009, 09:00:19 AM »

The clip confused me in isolation, but (for better or worse) seems more logical as the concluding sentences of the full four-minute clip, so here'[s the full four-minute clip:

Thank you, FJL.  I'm sure Druxy didn't purposefully link the edited clip to mislead, but that same sort of selective editing is exactly what I've come to expect from Fox, etc.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2009, 09:01:30 AM »

I will say that the commentary on this clip is just as "enlightened."  Not.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2009, 09:04:16 AM »

Breakfast at Tiffany's is so lovely - and yes the music is KEY - perhaps THE key to why it works so beautifully.  It is so in tune with the wonderful performances......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2009, 09:04:50 AM »

DR FJL don't run any water.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2009, 09:05:20 AM »

I am going to watch some episodes of HERE'S LUCY the first season.  I don't expect to be amused, but I could be wrong.  It IS Lucille Ball after all.

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2009, 09:06:07 AM »

I am going to watch some episodes of HERE'S LUCY the first season.  I don't expect to be amused, but I could be wrong.  It IS Lucille Ball after all.

LOL!

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2009, 09:07:33 AM »

Thank you to DRs Jose and JRand for Rob's birthday wishes.  I will convey them to him when he gets back from Michigan tomorrow.

He's asked us for a new pair of Danner boots as his birthday present, so I just did a dealer search on their website.  While I'd prefer to take him shopping at the factory store in Portland, Oregon, we'll probably go to Bass Pro Shops in Cincinnati or Gander Mountain in Dayton.  Ah, well.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2009, 09:07:41 AM »

I appreciate that Druxy brought our attention to it, as i hadn't seen it before.  Choice of the word "servant" must have been carefully considered given the time and effort that went into the whole thing, and I'm not sure if the impact of that word was what the actors anticipated.

but they do say servant to the "President and all mankind" - not just to the President.   

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2009, 09:10:12 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR William E. Lurie!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2009, 09:10:15 AM »

I'm up, and I'm up.

FJL

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2009, 09:10:42 AM »

Thanks for the tip, Jrand. 

Reminds me of Amanda Green's extremely funny song about a note she found on her sink from a cleaning lady: "Don't use the cold water, also the hot." 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2009, 09:14:35 AM »

I agree with RLP about the news media, which has turned into the most shameful thing - well, it turned into it decades ago.  And they have no culpability, they do not apologize for their hysteria and misinformation and lies.  They just go on doing it, over and over again, with nary a bitch-slap in sight.  And don't get me started on the parents who love their fifteen minutes of fame.  These same parents who monitor their children's every move, plan their every moment, and yet still somehow manage to let those children do whatever they damn well please, have no discipline, give them cell phones at five years of age, and rear them into being the most selfish, entitled, ill-educated, and self-destructive generation I've ever seen.  Occasionally a good one slips through, like the vixter and a few others, but most, I fear, are as I describe above.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2009, 09:16:20 AM »

I've seen the entire 4-minute piece and, with a couple of exceptions, I didn't have a problem with it...until the word "servant" was used. 

As I asked earlier, how would you feel if this campaign had been initiated by the Bush Administration?
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2009, 09:16:49 AM »

And the parents who produce the good ones that slip through should be given medals of honor.

JMK

« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »

And the parents who produce the good ones that slip through should be given medals of honor.

Do you still have my address?  ;)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2009, 09:20:12 AM »

If I could change one thing about the way this country is run...it would be the level and substance of political discourse.  It's no longer enough to disagree...everything has to be demonized and bile spewed.  It's time for civil discourse once again.  I would want newscasters to monitor more closely the debates and actually call politicians on their facts and not let them get away with talking points and sound bites. I don't want to hear various sides of the argument unless the facts are adhered to and hyperbole and character assasination are cut short by anyone giving a speaker a platform. Part of this would also be for politicians and the news media alike to stop reporting on or pandering to the antics of the uneducated, the ignorant, and political thugs.  "It would be very easy for every newscaster to denounce insane stuff like the birthers as the lunatic group they are and then never mention them again.  Less political commentary and more actual reporting would help.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:22:22 AM by Charles Pogue »

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2009, 09:20:28 AM »

DR FJL, I am glad that you posted the entire clip. Now I can better answer DR Michael Druxman's question.

In the context that the entire clip shows, I think being a servant to the people of this nation, including the president, is a wonderful thing. The government is there to serve, certainly, but the rest of us also have a responsibility to treat others with kindness and consideration, obey the law or work to change the laws we disagree with, work with, not against, other countries, vote, promote harmony within differing classes of people, not litter, etc...in other words be good productive citizens.

One thing that has bothered me throughout my life, beginning in early childhood, is that so much of the US population thinks that "being patriotic" is about using our strength against others, not about what you can do for your country (and your world) to make it a better place for everyone to live.

I get tired of those who think that being patriotic is having "God Bless America" bumper stickers on their cars, and then proceed to speed through red lights or toss their garbage out the window.

JMK

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2009, 09:21:24 AM »

Of course, I was just on the phone ordering Gabe a cell phone, LOL.  But this year because he's in advanced placement math, he needs to take public transportation to the local high school, and then walk back to his middle school, so we want him to be able to keep in touch.  He is not 5.

FJL

« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2009, 09:22:51 AM »

Druxy - I also wish they had reconsidered that word, or maybe just said a "servant to all mankind, including our President"

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »

I've seen the entire 4-minute piece and, with a couple of exceptions, I didn't have a problem with it...until the word "servant" was used. 

As I asked earlier, how would you feel if this campaign had been initiated by the Bush Administration?

For me, if it had been for the Bush administration, and the rest of the message was the same, I would have been all for it.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO GINNY'S DS ROB!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2009, 09:26:01 AM »

Thanks, DR TCB!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2009, 09:27:01 AM »

Re:  use of the word servant, which, as I previously said, also bothered me--JR must be so proud so many of us are showing our Objectivist streaks.  :)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up