Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST  (Read 29041 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST
« on: September 07, 2009, 12:34:17 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were earnest and had importance, and now it is time for you to post until the earnest cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 12:35:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: LENITIVE!

DAW

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 01:46:25 AM »

DR Jane - thanks much for the link last night to Cedar Point.  I enjoyed "riding" some of the attractions!     :D

DAW

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 01:46:53 AM »

DR Kerry - glad you are settling in well; your new place sounds nice!

DAW

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 01:48:04 AM »

~~~VIBES OF FORTITUDE AND STRENGTH ~~~
today for DR Cillaliz!!!!!

DAW

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 01:50:45 AM »

A VERY HAPPY HHW BIRTHDAY
TO DR WILLIAM E. LURIE!!!!!!

Laura

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 04:48:10 AM »

Happy Birthday, William Lurie!
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Laura

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 04:48:52 AM »

Vibes and prayers today for Cillaliz and Gretchen for strength and peace.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Laura

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 05:10:21 AM »

BK, I am glad to hear you are back in the recording studio. I have found that most of my favorite CDs have been the ones you have recorded.
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Michael

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 05:17:39 AM »

Happy Birthday William E Lurie!!!

Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 05:18:12 AM »

HAPPY NATAL DAY DEAR READER WILLIAM E. LURIE!!!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 06:11:33 AM »

Good morning!

Another cool morning with slightly reduced temperatures this afternoon: low to mid 80s. This week is supposed to be repeats of that every day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 06:12:36 AM »

So sorry about not making a late night appearance last night. After I watched my second movie, my eyes would just not stay open so around 8:45, I put myself to bed. Nice to get to sleep early, but when I woke up at 4:30, I wondered what I was going to do for the rest of the morning. [sigh]

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 06:13:43 AM »

As for last night, I began by watching THIS IS SPINAL TAP on Blu-ray. I've always enjoyed this movie, and it had me laughing all over again last night. Not the best of the mockumentaries, but certainly one of the best.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 06:14:54 AM »

Then I decided to revisit SLEEPING BEAUTY on Blu-ray since I hadn't watched it again since I reviewed it last year. I SO love this movie and feel so glad to have it in high definition. The picture and sound did not disappoint on this viewing.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 06:17:03 AM »

I guess I will go ahead and watch on of the Criterion Blu-rays I have left for review: PIERROT LE FOU. I reviewed the DVD version some months ago, so doing the Blu-ray will be very easy. Not one of my favorite Godard films; he was starting to play around with perspective, continuity, etc. with this movie, and about now his movies all seem too calculated to be different and self-conscious.

Still, I'm eager to see what it looks like in high definition.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 06:19:33 AM »

Because I was up so early this morning, I had time to watch two more LEVERAGE episodes. The first was one of my favorites from the first season where the team is on a plane that is being sabotaged. The second, involving a fake miracle at a church, was less fun though it did have D.B. Sweeney who's a current actor I really like and Scott Lowell (from QAF) as a ruthless entrepreneur.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 06:19:50 AM »

Happy Birthday, William Lurie!
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 06:20:04 AM »

I have MAD MEN which recorded last night to watch while I eat lunch today.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 06:22:26 AM »

I don't want to get into any kind of political discussion re the TOD, so I'll pick income tax as my way to change how the country is run. I'd like to see the end to all the endless rules and deductions and do a straight percentage of one's yearly income owed. Say: 8% of one's reported income.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 06:25:12 AM »

Question: If you could change one thing about the way this country is run, what would it be?

That IS a "dangerous" question, BK. 

So, I think I'll play it safe this time and avoid it.

:-X
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 06:27:57 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept well and I wonder what to do with the day. I suppose I will tackle the refrigerator this morning, get to a bit of work on OH BOY!. and try to catch a late afternoon showing of JULIE & JULIA.

Beyond that, I'll see where the day takes me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 06:52:56 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR William E. Lurie!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 06:56:36 AM »

Happy Birthday to William E. Lurie!

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 06:58:18 AM »

DR Jane, re: your coaster comments from last night.

I also have neck problems. Although not as bad as yours. When i was about 20, my neck just gave out (i had not done anything to it that i know of). I had to wear a neck brace that whole summer and went to physio. And then after that it would get very sore when i would write exams.

So i do have to be careful on the roller coasters. However lately my neck has not hurt at all. Although my lower back problem still has not gone away. :(

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 06:59:17 AM »

Looks like I've finished all of my morning internet surfing, so I'll shut things down here and head back down to watch something fun. I may hold off on disc 3 in the LEVERAGE set. I'm going through them too fast, so I may pull out a Rathbone/Sherlock Holmes movie or a THIN MAN just to pass the rest of the morning before I start cooking something for lunch.

WBBL.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 07:00:14 AM »

Oh, looks like around 1 p.m. (EDT), Amazon will have the Blu-ray of CASABLANCA on sale. The teaser on the Gold Box page seemed to suggest it was coming.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 07:00:42 AM »

And now I'm REALLY going!

;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 07:02:13 AM »

TOD:  I won't back away from this because I think I can keep it non-partisan (overall).   One of the news segments on this morning's local news had to do with the fact that "some" schools, nationwide, won't be carrying President Obama's address to school children.  The brouhaha over this has become a symptom of what I think is a breakdown in society -- irrational hysteria fueled by deliberate lies and misinformation. 

This is something that all political institutions perpetrate for the sole purposes of gaining power and destroying those who oppose them. 

On the morning news segment, a white woman was distraught and could barely speak so hysterical she was over the possibility of her precious child having to be exposed to "that".  Her husband, grinning broadly, stood beside her holding her.

It was the way she said "that" which aroused suspicions in my mind as to what it was she was really objecting to....was it the president, himself, or that he was going to be encouraging children everywhere to work hard and strive to get the best education possible?  It doesn't matter at all that the White House has assured everyone there will be no references to Obama's policies or that there will be no requests for children to be challenged to think of ways they can help him work toward attaining his goals for the country.   (I mean...how DARE he have goals that are for everyone??!!!)  I have to wonder how careful the  parents are at home when it comes to hiding the newspapers and magazines and monitoring TV lest some news item expose their child to "that".

I suspect some of this hysteria is fueled by media interest...media jumping  on some disgruntled comment and then fueling the consumptive fires it spawns for the sake of news ratings.

So...the change I'd seek is that the media return to honesty and turn away from yellow journalism which, truly, has become the norm.  I'd also appoint regional bitch-slappers to hunt some of these people down who turn on the emoting for the cameras and, likely, have a laugh about it afterward.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:34:55 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 07:14:10 AM »

TOD:  I won't back away from this because I think I can keep it non-partisan (overall).   One of the news segments on this morning's local news had to do with the fact that "some" schools, nationwide, won't be carrying President Obama's address to school children.  The brouhaha over this has become a symptom of what I think is a breakdown in society -- irrational hysteria fueled by deliberate lies and misinformation. 

This is something that all political institutions perpetrate for the sole purposes of gaining power and destroying those who oppose them. 

On the morning news segment, a white woman was distraught and could barely speak so hysterical she was over the possibility of her precious child having to be exposed to "that".  Her husband stood stolidly beside her holding her steady with hands on both her shoulders.

It was the way she said "that" which aroused suspicions in my mind as to what it was she was really objecting to....was it the president, himself, or that he was going to be encouraging children everywhere to work hard and strive to get the best education possible?  It doesn't matter at all that the White House has assured everyone there will be no references to Obama's policies or that there will be no requests for children to be challenged to think of ways they can help him work toward attaining his goals for the country.   (I mean...how DARE he have goals that are for everyone??!!!)

I suspect some of this hysteria is fueled by media interest...media jumping  on some disgruntled comment and then fueling the consumptive fires it spawns for the sake of news ratings.

So...the change I'd seek is that the media return to honesty and turn away from yellow journalism which, truly, has become the norm.  I'd also appoint regional bitch-slappers to hunt some of these people down who turn on the emoting for the cameras and, likely, have a laugh about it afterward.

That's a good one, DR Ron Pulliam; I was appalled in last year's election by the amount bullshit, lies and slurs coming from the far right, which my brother sent me on email, over Obama's ethnicity, religion, etc.  What still amazes me the most is that there are fools in this country who buy that crap hook, line and sinker, without making any effort to verify the information. I include myself as one of the fools because I've been guilty in the past of sending out false information I've received from friends in my emails. I do like to hope that I am a more intelligent fool than those on the far right.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up