Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LOVELIER THAN LOVELY DAY  (Read 15234 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE LOVELIER THAN LOVELY DAY
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:11:42 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were lovelier than lovely, and now it is time for you to post until the lovelier than lovely cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE LOVELIER THAN LOVELY DAY
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:12:55 AM »

And the word of the day is: PLEIAD!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:13:23 AM »

A while back, TCB and Jane were discussing whether or not there is a Santa Claus Challah has raisins.

The answer lies in the source of the recipe:

“Sephardic Jews, those from the Mediterranean region including North Africa and Spain, were blessed with the region's bounty of ingredients; Ashkenazi Jews, who come from Eastern Europe and make up the majority of Jews in this country, had a smaller palette from which to work.”

Ashkenazi – no raisins;  Sephardic – raisins!

LATIMES

Rosh Hashana, Tunisian style

Exotic, delicious -- and yes, kosher. The Sephardic community has its own way of celebrating the Jewish new year. In L.A., an expat is spreading the word about the spicy cuisine.

Alain Cohen holds out a gorgeous spiral-shaped loaf of challah, the color of cherry wood. On the top of the bread is a graceful open hand made of dough. Cohen and his baker, Yuri Amsellen, have been experimenting again. From the crowded kitchen of Cohen's Pico Boulevard takeout shop, Got Kosher? Provisions, comes the hypnotic smell of yeast.

In the weeks before the Jewish new year, the store has baked loaves in the shape of Jacob's ladder, and others in a circle with a well in the center, meant to hold honey for dipping. They've added dried fruits, apples and raisins.

For Rosh Hashana, which begins Friday at sunset, challah is essential. The braided oval bread that Jews break and share after lighting candles each Sabbath gets reworked once a year into a spiral to call to mind the cycle of life.

A loaf topped with an open hand, however, is uncommon. But in this, as in other food customs, Tunisian Jews have their own way.

Recipe: Apple and honey challah

Bakers start your ovens!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:15:43 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:17:57 AM »

And a Kitty story to warm your hearts:

Cat Returns Home After 2,400-Mile Stray

der Brucer

DAW

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 01:18:48 AM »

TOD:

DAW

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 01:40:46 AM »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 02:00:25 AM »

Topic of the Day:  for shows, I love the poster art for (in no particular order) Ain't Misbehavin', Big River, Miss Saigon, the original Follies, 1776, Nine, City of Angels, A Chorus Line...at least, that's what I can think of right now.

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 02:01:03 AM »

I need to be in bed...and asleep.

Now. 8)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 02:23:22 AM »

TOD

der Brucer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 05:51:09 AM »

TOD:

I've always loved the original EQUUS art--so much is conveyed about the play using simple geometric shapes and in black and white.  I have a framed copy here in my office that you can just sort of see in my avatar pic.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 05:58:43 AM »

Another favorite--the original CHICAGO poster. 

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 06:11:12 AM »

And another, though this pic does not do it justice.  I love this one for it's line art.  When it's coupled with the silvertone of the original print, it screams "Big Broadway Musical!"

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:22:42 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Julie

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 06:22:03 AM »

Good morning!

Julie

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 06:24:00 AM »

Thank you DR Jose for your detailed report of the fabulous sounding dress rehearsal.  I just set the DVR to record tonight's late broadcast.  And congrats on winning the signed opening night program.  I also love reading about all the interesting people you meet everywhere you go.

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 06:29:41 AM »

Job vibes for DR Jane's son Craig. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Julie

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 06:30:22 AM »

Yesterday I went to a matinee of Burn the Floor.  A lot of beautiful looking dancers, extremely talented.  No story or effort to connect the numbers in any way.  Each one is a stand alone production, and I must say, after awhile, everything starts looking the same.  The usher told me the show was 2 1/2 hours running time, but I was relieved that it was really only two hours. 

After that, I had a bunch of time to kill in the theater district, until my evening obligation in the same area at 8pm.  So I decided to take in a movie.  The one that had the right timing for my schedule was The Time Traveler's Wife.  I usually really like that kind of movie, so I figured it would be a good choice.  I found it mildly diverting, but ultimatley, thought it could have been much better. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 06:36:01 AM »

Good morning, all! I've tried on my suit; it fits. I damned near killed myself falling over cartons and crap in front of my closet to get to it. The situation here, with my clutter and now George's is truly infuriating. I'm hoping he arrives and finishes this mess early today, because I was hoping to actually begin tidying up the dump last night. I'm very frustrated and unhappy, but thrilled the suit fits.

Today, I have to work on my comments for the McGlinn memorial. I think there will be some good performances and reminiscences. Hugh Panaro has been out of touch about appearing or rehearsing  so I'm not sure he's showing up. He can be flakey, much as I like him and hate to say it. I am waiting for a letter from tenor Jeffrey Lentz that I am supposed to read. I know the following people have agreed to appear: Rebecca Luker, Jason Graae,  Jeanne Lehman, Korliss Uecker, Debbie Gravitte, George  Dvorsky, Ron Raines, Brent Barrett, Kim Criswell,  Margaret Jane  Wray, Korliss Uecker, and cellist Jerry Grossman. Speakers will  include me, John Vogel (the estate executor), William Hicks, Ted Chapin, Dona D. Vaughn, Erik  Haagensen, Betty Auman, Teresa Stratas, and members of  the McGlinn family.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 06:41:31 AM »

As to our TOD, because I spend so much time in the past, I think my favorite early poster is the Art Nouveau BABES IN TOYLAND from 1903 with its peculiar toys running the sides of the poster:

Most of the early theatre posters were pretty awful; DEAREST ENEMY, a show I love, began with this

and later sexed it up for the tour with Helen Ford in her first costume, a barrel
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:46:53 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 06:42:56 AM »

Yes, bk, MAD MEN: Season Two is out on Blu-ray. It's been out for several weeks.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 06:45:24 AM »

And yes, it's the Peggy storyline that irritated and disappointed me. The actress is wonderful; ELisabeth Moss deserved an Emmy-nomination for the season (she didn't get it; only Jon Hamm, John Slattery, and Robert Morse were nominated and none of them won).

Moss did get nominated for Season Two and many think she has a more than decent chance at winning this Sunday when the EMmys are handed out in the major categories.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 06:45:59 AM »

I don't think the original 1925 NO NO NANETTE artwork says much about the show

but I also don't think the 1971 revival did either, although Hillary Knight's poster evokes a certan bubbly quality for period revues like the Follies and the Scandals:

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 06:46:46 AM »

Good morning!

Another semi-cool overcast morning, and our high isn't supposed to leave the 70s today, so I'm happy and grateful for that. We never got more than a trace of rain yesterday. Maybe we'll get some today so I can see how my new roof is going to work out.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 06:48:52 AM »

TOD:

I loved the hot pink MY FAIR LADY movie poster. I also thought the graphic red WEST SIDE STORY movie poster was super. I kept both albums displayed in large plate holders in my bedroom because I loved the way they looked so much.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 06:49:42 AM »

I'll continue watching more MY NAME IS EARL this morning and on into the afternoon and evening until I finish with it. I haven't written the first word of the review yet. I'll start work on that later this morning.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 06:52:16 AM »

A note to TV viewers:

THough the new season doesn't officially begin until next week, many shows are starting back up tonight:

THE VAMPIRE DIARIES and SUPERNATURAL began last week, of course, and continue with new episodes today.

NBC's Thursday schedule including THE OFFICE begins the new season tonight!

BONES and the newly moved FRINGE begin their new seasons tonight!

SURVIVOR begins its new season tonight (although CSI and THE MENTALIST rerun their last season finales tonight in preparation for their new seasons starting next week).

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 06:53:51 AM »

And, of course, PROJECT RUNWAY continues with its new season on Lifetime tonight as usual.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 06:55:20 AM »

Here are some posters I love from THE BOY FRIEND (1954, Broadway)

and 1967, London, Yvonne Arnaud Theatre)

I think they both capture the 20s spoof very nicely.

The 1956 CANDIDE poster is one of my faves, maybe because I think the OBC is irreplaceable and unapproachable for performance of the score

It might be a bit too classy for Voltaire's story but it's a better match for the elegance and wit of the score than the 1973 poster, a production I loved, but which I've never seen work outside the Broadway Theatre:

And the 1998 John Caird production in London says nothing about the show!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 06:56:06 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it was nice not to have to get up before 8:00 this morning. ;)  -Although, getting up and out of bed earlier than my usual time yesterday resulted in a very nice day.  Or something like that.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 06:56:56 AM »

And, of course, PROJECT RUNWAY continues with its new season on Lifetime tonight as usual.

I just realized: I have yet to watch an episode of the current season.  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 07:01:14 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day....

The first things to come to my mind are two Sondheim shows: the "half and half" artwork for the original production of Sunday in the Park with George, and the artwork for the first London production of Assassins:

*I still remember coming across the Assassins poster in Triton Gallery years ago, and making that splurge purpose. I'm guessing it's somewhere rolled up with my other posters (it was printed on paper-stock and not cardboard/stock).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:16:50 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up