Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MACK  (Read 13419 times)

Kerry

Re: THE MACK
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2009, 10:51:27 PM »

The track listing for Carol Channing's forthcoming new CD looks a bit bizarre to me:  mostly spirituals and inspirational-type numbers.      ???
"Swing Low, Sweet Chariot," perhaps?
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »

Bless  our souls-- PAGE 8 DANCE!!!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2009, 10:57:34 PM »

I have finished my Italian lesson for the day.  I am afraid that I am not a very good pupil.  Maybe it is old age?
[/quote
I have finished my Italian lesson for the day.  I am afraid that I am not a very good pupil.  Maybe it is old age?

I once used a book called "See It and Say It in Italian."  Got pretty good with it (in a very limited way).  However, I got the pictures/symbols mixed up.  The one for WALKING and WAITER looked remarkablyt similar, so I learned how to say "I like the waiter."  Perhaps it was Freudian!
I like boat races.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #213 on: September 25, 2009, 10:58:10 PM »

One of the best jokes in Elmore's great K-Tel tone row commercial got a neat going over last night on XM's classical channel.  All those open fifths in Berg's Violin Concerto are evidently signs of his reluctance to even write the damned thing after Gropius and Alma Mahler's daughter died of leukemia.  Who knew?

I did. :)

And the tone-row also purposely has thirds in it in order to make it more "harmonious" than the typical "random" tone-row.

Well, according to last night's commentary, the triadic structure is based entirely upon the German folksong that Gropius' daughter used to sing to Berg and also the Bach chorale he incorporated into the piece.  The commentator last night played sections of both source musics and then the sections of the tone row that mimicked them.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Kerry

« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2009, 11:08:22 PM »

One of the best jokes in Elmore's great K-Tel tone row commercial got a neat going over last night on XM's classical channel.  All those open fifths in Berg's Violin Concerto are evidently signs of his reluctance to even write the damned thing after Gropius and Alma Mahler's daughter died of leukemia.  Who knew?

I did. :)

Well, according to last night's commentary, the triadic structure is based entirely upon the German folksong that Gropius' daughter used to sing to Berg and also the Bach chorale he incorporated into the piece.  The commentator last night played sections of both source musics and then the sections of the tone row that mimicked them.

I think a Danny Thomas spit-take is in order for this!  And they said Burlesque and Vaudeville were dead!  Perhaps, it would be funnier to the masses if you had a rubber chicken!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:13:47 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2009, 11:50:49 PM »

And one of the titans of the keyboard - well, she was sort of a "tiny titan" - died today...

R.I.P. Alicia de Larrocha

Wow, I think I actually met her in Belmont, CA sometime in the late 80's.  At least I think it was her...
Her recordings of the Spanish piano literature by Albeniz, Granados, Mompou, Turina and others are true touchstones for all pianists, myself included.  There is a wonderful quote about her from the concert manager, Herbert Breslin:

"“There are two kinds of repertory Alicia plays. Things she plays extremely well, and things she plays better than anyone else."

Thank You, Señora de Larrocha!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2009, 11:59:02 PM »

Back from the opera and printing out a whole slew of orders.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2009, 12:02:37 AM »

Looking forward to hearing what Jose's guy says about the phone, and hoping the iPhone tech calls tomorrow.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2009, 12:02:53 AM »

I guess I should write the notes.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #219 on: September 26, 2009, 12:21:33 AM »

Yay! MEDIUM is back.

Yay!  My DVR recorded it!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2009, 12:30:13 AM »

I'm back from the CenterFest fundraiser at the Washington Center for the Performing Arts...and have been for about an hour.  I worked at the concessions counter, serving beer, wine and sodas.  My friend Linda was the bartender who made mixed drinks.  Only six beers were sold and just a few sodas.  Everyone wanted mixed drinks or the hard liquor, which I can't sell (legally).  I didn't get to see any of the performers, but we were able to get some of the desserts afterward.  I had three different small cheesecake (with chocolate) samplers and a piece of apple cheesecake and a piece of pumpkin.  Those two were homemade and fantastic!  And then I came home.  I was there for five hours and only sat down for about 15 minutes before I left.  I don't know how much money they raised, but it seemed to be successful. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up