Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LOST HOUR  (Read 32708 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:THE LOST HOUR
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2004, 12:16:40 PM »

I just finished Kritzer Time the other day!  BK, the first two books were splendid, but this was the best one yet.  It just had so much humor, sincerity, intelligence--really a wonderful emotional journey.  It was really fun to discover movies and theatre with Benjamin.  Some of his obsessions I personally already knew and loved, some were new to me.  And the ending...needless to say, it made me weep.  I really didn't see it coming, but it broke my heart.  

TCB--I hope things have gotten a little better!!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2004, 12:21:40 PM »

DR Panni,

I don't know how deep this goes into the truths of our existence, but here's a scene that may provide a springboard. Some context may be helpful for the students, but even without it the discussion could take some interesting turns.

Strangers on a Train - the scene of the crowd watching a tennis game. Every spectator - with the exception of Robert Walker/Bruno - watches the game carefully. Eyes shift back and forth, but Bruno stares at the camera.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2004, 12:22:27 PM »

Maya, glad you liked it, and now you must write your review for amazon and barnesandnoble.  WEL's just showed up at amazon.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2004, 12:43:04 PM »

TCB - I see you're still online, at least at the moment.  Please let us know how things are going for you before you lose interent access for awhile.  You have been on my mind a lot in the last few days, and I send many many good vibes your way.  

Ann (and all of the DRs) -- Thank you for all of the wonderful messages and good vibes.  So far, they haven't resulted in my being contacted by John Beresford Tipton (if you don't know who that is, be grateful, because it means you are still young), but they have helped my peace of mind considerably.

So far, AOL is still running, which probably means they are going to stick me for another month, before they turn it off.  Just in case they let me off the hook, I am checking out My free i for almost-free (or cheap) service.  Hs anyone heard anything good or bad about this company??

Tomovoz -- Welcome back!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2004, 12:45:23 PM »

Gosh this weekend is just speeding by!

Had a blast babysitting last night! 2 year old Taylor was a little angle the whole time. We watched FINDING NEMO and part of LION KING (I loved Nemo, of course, but LION KING was not that good IMHO). We played toss the rubber ball down the stairs, then played chasing Tahoe (the dog) up the stairs, then played push uncle Mike down the stairs! LOL! And while fixing the macaroni and cheese for our din din little Taylor broke into song singing TWINKLE, TWINKLE, LITTLE STAR! Ha! That warmed my heart more then you can imagine!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Baby Taylor...next singing star???[/move]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 12:46:14 PM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2004, 12:50:54 PM »

Freddy wishes to thank one and all DRs for the safe vibes and the welcome home from the ordeal vibes!

"Thanks" he says! He spent the night curled up with me and we were both very contented!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2004, 12:53:09 PM »

I too was E & T yesterday, but was glad to check in today and see that Freddy is home.

And DR Panni, I'm sorry Rachel didn't get her chance to say "Big Money." But thank you, and thank Rachel, for allowing us to get caught up in the excitement.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2004, 01:14:49 PM »

BK, in the books section of the Sunday Times, your appearance is dutifully logged in the signings schedule for next Saturday.  Been playing Broadway Bound for the lovely wife...and we love it.  Sax and Violence for the Jacuzzi later this afternoon.

Panni, the appeal of George Brent.  Apparently, he was quite the ladies man off-screen and most of Warners' leading ladies sampled his devotions .  But I think the real reason he had a career was that he was just handsome enough and just bland enough that he never upstaged his leading ladies.  In other words, he was no competition for the likes of Bette Davis, so Bette Davis would request him.  If you'll notice most of his career was spent playing support to strong actresses.  From Warner Bros. Presents by  Ted Sennett:  "...his nondescript personality was often set against falmboyantly female actress...and he responded with quietly, competent, moderately dull performances."  Pretty much sums it up accurately , I think.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2004, 01:18:19 PM »

We haven't had one topic today.  We will most assuredly hit a new all-time low by the end of this evening if the dearth of posts is any indication.  As Dodo Day sang, what will be will be.  No biggie - life is slow all over other sites, too.  We've managed to stay above the others until now.  In the meantime, get off your butt cheeks and get some topics going.  I come up with them six days a week - and they often lead to others being introduced.  So, I'm sure someone can think of something that's interesting, no?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2004, 01:21:48 PM »

That old bugaboo info about CAPRICE. The Fox Movie Channel always gives the info that CAPRICE was the last movie shot in Cinemascope. But John Belton's book WIDESCREEN CINEMA says that IN LIKE FLYNN was the last movie released in Cinemascope. Now, of course, both pieces of information could be right since the wording is somewhat different - shot as opposed to released. And both movies came out in 1967.

Of course, there have been some recent animated films released in Cinemascope (called that - no Panavision). So, I'm not sure the CAPRICE/IN LIKE FLYNN controversy is even relevent any more.

BTW, you can't find a bigger Doris Day fan than I am, but CAPRICE is pretty awful.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2004, 01:25:36 PM »

Yes, despite my love for Frank Tashlin, Caprice is a dog.  Had to shut it off.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2004, 01:27:17 PM »

Nick Redman has a new column up at http://dvds.allaccessworld.com - The DVD Place.  He waxes positive about the TV series on DVD, The Shield.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2004, 01:27:45 PM »

Knowing that THE TEN COMMANDMENTS was coming on ABC tonight, but not wishing to prolong the evening suffering through ten commendments and ten thousand commercials, I popped in my DVD of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS this afternoon. I hadn't watched it on the HDTV since I bought it last April, and what gorgeous, awe-inspiring Technicolor! Simply took my breath away. Looking forward to getting my hands on MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS this coming week, but it couldn't look any more stupendous than this.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2004, 01:28:05 PM »

TOTD -- What play, comedy or drama, would you most like to see turned into a Broadway-style musical?

NOTE:  No cheating.  No books or films allowed, unless there is also a play that has been made from it.
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2004, 01:29:26 PM »

Okay I will post since I'm here for a minute.

I've spent much of the day helping cook and clean.  I hate cleaning.  Passover is so much work!  But I will be happy when I get to eat my mom's matzoh balls (why does that not look like it's spelled correctly?).

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2004, 01:30:31 PM »

Hi DR TCB!

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2004, 01:31:42 PM »

I'll read Nick's column sometime today, but already I agree. THE SHIELD is one of the most outstanding crime dramas of the last three years. It is so gritty and realistic, and the charactrers are so interesting and multi-faceted that you can't NOT watch it once you get hooked. We're a couple of episodes into the third season right now on FX, and it's powerful stuff indeed.

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2004, 01:32:29 PM »

Do you guys think that dreams are usually accurate?

I had 2 dreams last night, both featuring the same person.  Both dreams made me feel bad when I woke up.  And they were both trying to tell me the same thing.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2004, 01:33:09 PM »

Easy one for me, DR TCB: YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU.

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2004, 01:33:17 PM »

DR MattH, no Alias tonight! :(

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2004, 01:34:59 PM »

Gee, I like these one line posts!

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2004, 01:35:54 PM »

Alas, I must go.  There is so much more cleaning to be done.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2004, 01:46:37 PM »

...AND

WELCOME HOME, FREDDY!

Love,
Angel and Nicky
“One thing’s universal,

Robin

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2004, 01:46:54 PM »

TOTD -- What play, comedy or drama, would you most like to see turned into a Broadway-style musical?

They Might be Giants.  It's already been made into a film, but I've always thought it'd make a terrific musical entertainment.  

And even though I know it's cheating, I think Psycho would make a terrific musical comedy.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2004, 01:53:17 PM »

NOTE:  No cheating.  No books or films allowed, unless there is also a play that has been made from it.

I've always thought Jean Anouilh's THIEVE'S CARNIVAL would make a charming musical.

Yesterday, some friends and I were talking about WONDERFALLS and how we fear Fox will screw up and drop the series.  This led to a discussion of another favorite series, NOW AND AGAIN with Eric Close and Margaret Colin, that CBS seemed to have no faith in.  The question is this:  how do we get CBS to release all the episodes on DVD?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2004, 02:04:26 PM »

Thank you for the welcome back TCB. I was not in the garage with Feddy. You can drop in any time and use this computer. Plays? Are they those funny stagey things without songs?
The only names that come to mind staight away are "Bent" and "Getting Away With Murder". Maybe "The Ritz".
I don't get out much.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2004, 02:05:59 PM »

Psycho, of course, was turned into a musical by the marvelous team of Hinky Meltz and Ernest Ernest.  If you search the archives (not here - but on our haineshisway.com home page) you'll find a couple of their songs - the title song, Psycho!, and also Showering My Troubles Away and Nobody Here But Mother.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2004, 02:06:43 PM »

And I've always thought Waltz of the Toreadors would be fun as a musical - I actually began trying to do it in the early seventies, but didn't get very far.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2004, 02:07:22 PM »

Just checking in here.

Clocks duly adjusted, although yesterday I couldn't help but feel I was living on borrowed time.  Yes, that's right, "borrowed"...and now, it's time for payback and I can't seem to catch up.  The day is getting away from me...oh! for just one more hour!

I've replaced some VHS tapes with DVDs and have watched them: "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" (yes, Tom of Oz, Spacey's accent there was totally genuine.  I've known folks with the vocal affectations his character had, like calling men "Sport").

"Sense and Sensibility" - I love this film.

"The Final Countdown" -- looks great.  It's fun.  BK, do you share a bit of my confusion about the music toward the end...when Martin Sheen is leaving the Nimitz with Charlie and the Tideman car is waiting for him, doesn't that background music sound like something out of a spaghetti western rather than as a logical development of any of Scott's previous music in the film?

I had a nice chat with my mother (back in South Carolina) last night.  

« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 02:08:56 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2004, 02:07:35 PM »

I have a tape of two of the songs I wrote somewhere - one of them was actually pretty decent, a song for the two ugly daughters (I think they were ugly - it's been years) called Oh, Daddy!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up